Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career (6778 Views)

A Simple Hack To Help Boost Your Productivity. / Top 20 Ideas To Help Boost Your Youtube Audiences / What Decision You Made That Made Or Marred Your Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by JARUSHUB: 1:26pm On Apr 26, 2018
Balogun Owomide

The past few years have witnessed an increase in people’s desire to learn a new language. Companies and many other corporate bodies now place a high premium on multilingual individuals because of the numerous roles they can play in an ever increasing community. This makes a lot of (un)employed people pick up interest in learning a new language. It is true that learning a new language especially as a lazy adult is a painful and slow process. It’s more excruciating as you age even more.

HOW BEING MULTILINGUAL CAN BOOST YOUR CAREER

1, A NEW LEVEL OF INCREASED BRAIN ACTIVITY

The first advantage you derive from learning a new language is that it improves the functionality of your mind through training. Your mind then learns to identify and react to foreign environments at a better and faster process. It also helps you boost your ability to deal with other problems of life in the same manner. Researchers have proved that those who learn more than one or more languages are far better and creative at solving real life and complex problems than those who do not.

Being multilingual also helps your brain become healthier. York University recently conducted a research on the effects of dementia and Alzheimer’s; the test of these patients revealed quite a good number of surprising facts. The research showed that, bilingual patients had a significant delay in the onset of the disease when compared to patients with monolingual abilities.”

2, MAKES YOU LANGUAGE SMART

Do you know that when you live with bilingual families, you develop an astonishing ability to differentiate between languages that you’ve never heard or understand before? This is because the human brain gets exposed to different sounds from a variety of languages. As you learn various languages, your attention gets drawn to the fundamentals of the target language such as sentence structure, conjugations and grammar. Through this, you become more aware of the language and the proper way to structure it. Although these skills are often overlooked, they will help you become more language smart and a better communicator.

http://www.jarushub.com/being-multilingual-how-this-can-help-boost-your-career/

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by JARUSHUB: 1:35pm On Apr 26, 2018
3, INCREASES YOUR CHANCES OF EMPLOYED

Being multilingual increases your chances of employability. If you plan to work for a multinational company, where relocation or expansion to other markets is unavoidable, learning a new language gives you an advantage over the rest. For instance, in very critical economic cases in the past, a lot of companies relocated or reduced their employees. When this happens, candidates who have knowledge of bilingual language will earn certain immunity towards more pay checks that can help them in their work process. The demand for workers who are bilingual (speakers of languages other than English and native dialects) is constantly on the rise in Nigeria.

4, INCREASED EARNINGS

It will be shocking to some by the huge number of employers who will be eager to offer you a higher amount for your certified skills in a foreign language. If you do not speak two languages, not to worry, just show some interest and some organisations will pay you to learn a second language.

There are tales of many companies in France, Spain and the Middle East doing this. They are more than willing to compensate people who work with them with higher remuneration in exchange for their rare language skills.

WHEN AND HOW TO START?

The best period to pick up a new language different from your mother tongue is when you are still a child. During that time, your LAD (Language Acquisition Device) is at its best. The older you become, the harder it is for you to learn a new language. Alternatively, you can enrol in a language course while still in secondary school or the university. Although learning a foreign language can be quite tasking on your brain, learning languages like Norwegian, Japanese or German which are among some of the toughest languages to learn is not advisable for beginners. However, every language can be learned, you just need to be determined and persevere.

http://www.jarushub.com/being-multilingual-how-this-can-help-boost-your-career/

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Okundaye4(m): 3:07pm On Apr 26, 2018
AGREED.
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by PqsMike: 3:08pm On Apr 26, 2018
Being Multi lingua actually helps Most especially in the construction industry..... I'm talking about big firms here..

Okay

.... Are you about to build your dream home

Talk to a trusted contractor

We'll help you through the design and the construction stage.

You can check my profile for more information

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Crixina(f): 3:09pm On Apr 26, 2018
Brb
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by kingjizzy2(m): 3:10pm On Apr 26, 2018
grin grin
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by skubido(m): 3:10pm On Apr 26, 2018
Gbam
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by oyetunder(m): 3:10pm On Apr 26, 2018
we are too lazy to learn other languages for now. lazy mode activated.

2 Likes

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by kolawoleibukun: 3:11pm On Apr 26, 2018
it does oh. Language reaches the heart.
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by besun(f): 3:12pm On Apr 26, 2018
Great!
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Skepticus: 3:12pm On Apr 26, 2018
Great Article!

I don't like the ending part where the writer projected his/her own weakness about not learning certain languages at an older age.

Nothing is impossible, man.

6 Likes

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by OgahBohz: 3:13pm On Apr 26, 2018
how can I use language to become the first to comment on FP ? here?
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Bustincole(m): 3:17pm On Apr 26, 2018
good 1
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by anaytomi: 3:33pm On Apr 26, 2018
hmnn
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by brutal1(m): 3:46pm On Apr 26, 2018
This is so true ! Well, i'm a language tutor and I take Spanish & german. Location: Ibadan& Osogbo. Cero ocho cero siete seis nueve ocho dos ocho cinco cuatro. Nos vemos!
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 26, 2018
keke parked...
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by APOSTLECHUMA: 3:50pm On Apr 26, 2018
AM A PASTOR AND I AM BILINGUAL. I NEED A BILINGUAL FRENCH AND ENGLISH BIBLE AND PRAY THAT GOD WILL TOUCH SOMEONE TO BLESS ME WITH IT. 07054142412

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by BORNTOSUCKPUSSY: 3:51pm On Apr 26, 2018
Igbos are highly multilingual

1 Like

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by madridguy(m): 3:55pm On Apr 26, 2018
Good write up.
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by anochuko01(m): 3:59pm On Apr 26, 2018
brutal1:
Cero ocho cero siete seis nueve ocho dos ocho cinco cuatro. Nos vemos!
yinmugrin

1 Like

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by GeneralOjukwu: 4:21pm On Apr 26, 2018
Wow....see the low traffic on such a good thread

1 Like

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by firmytobad(m): 4:37pm On Apr 26, 2018
Nice thread. I picked up learning a foreign language months ago and I must say, it's not very easy. But if you invest your time in it, get materials, music and films, you'll sure be able to converse in it. Again, nice thread OP
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by yeman1(m): 4:41pm On Apr 26, 2018
German or Dutch is not tough like Russian language . I've learned the two.

1 Like

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Saladin25(m): 5:04pm On Apr 26, 2018
I picked up an interest in learning different languages in early 2017, now am enjoying it. Shout out to all bi-lingual, tri-lingual and multilingual.
Nice post.

2 Likes

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Saladin25(m): 5:06pm On Apr 26, 2018
yeman1:
German or Dutch is not tough like Russian language
I've learned the two.
If you understand German language, Dutch language won't be a problem.

1 Like

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by keetel(f): 5:08pm On Apr 26, 2018
I'm interested in learning frenh german and spanish. But I'll like to start with french first, location: lagos mainland.
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by LBlessing(f): 5:08pm On Apr 26, 2018
Currently learning Chinese smiley cool

2 Likes

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Saladin25(m): 5:11pm On Apr 26, 2018
Skepticus:
Great Article!

I don't like the ending part where the writer projected his/her own weakness about not learning certain languages at an older age.

Nothing is impossible, man.
Nothing is impossible, but it is easier for children to learn languages faster. When one become an adult, your brain would be thinking a lot of things with determination one can learn it. Some years back, I see bi-lingual and multilingual people like an exceptional people, but with the aid of technology one can learn different languages at your doorstep.
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Tats(m): 5:37pm On Apr 26, 2018
I'm currently taking Spanish and German classes. Nearly at the highest level in Spanish but in elementary (past beginner) class in German. Starting another language before the end of the year after signing off from Spanish! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by Dieumerci1: 5:53pm On Apr 26, 2018
You can contact me if you need a private French teacher. I am French language instructor/lecturer. You contact me via josephodion@yahoo.com.
Re: Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career by stagger: 5:53pm On Apr 26, 2018
yeman1:
German or Dutch is not tough like Russian language
I've learned the two.

Guten aben.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) / Telcos To Sack Workers In Cost-cutting Move / Top 5 Best Graphic Designers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.