Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,319 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. (1418 Views)

10 Countries With The Largest Number Of Christians- Statisense / Christian Association Protests Against Killings Of Christians By Fulani Herdsmen / Pictures Of Christians Celebrating Easter Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by Martinez19(m): 4:16pm On Apr 26, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin

Ever heard a pastor say to his members "which report shall you believe? The doctor's report or God's report?" grin and the members respond "God's!" or the pastor say "... despite what the doctors say..." and the members keep nodding their heads, like agama lizards, in agreement as the pastors preach on. The irony is that these pastors don't applied this to themselves, even christians too. Why make a mockery of medical science in this manner to express the superiority of yahweh when you will still consult a doctor in the time of need? Some pastors even say that scientists know nothing and God is their master (master scientists) yet they make use of the results of these scientists justifying their hypocrisy with the nonsense of "science is yahweh's provision and medical science is yahweh's cure to man."

The problem is if you will still turn to doctors, then don't shame them and their craft. And for the intellectual failures that are going say "medical science is Yahweh's provision for illnesses", I put it to you that those words portray a God with a misplacement of priority or bad methodology given that he is perfect and all powerful. Why not heal diseases right away while allow your children to squander money on treatments, drugs, surgery and the likes? Why make medicine the sole provision given that medicine is limited but an all powerful god can cure all diseases? Do you know how many christians died from malaria before antimalarial drugs were invented? What was yahweh doing when these christians were perishing from malaria? Folding his arms?Today, any christian who has terminal cancer dies. So why a provision that is limited instead of your raw unlimited power which is available?

That's poor methodology. Christians should stop all these nonsense and admit that the bible supports healing by faith alone rather than try to cover it up with "medical science is God's provision". They should be clear on where they stand and stop being hypocritical and confusing people. Up science! Up doctors!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by hopefulLandlord: 4:56pm On Apr 26, 2018
Its called compartmentalisation, they want to eat their fufu and have it

I think the real hypocrites are the religious leaders and faith healers. These guys encourage prayer for health problems while they have a team of personal doctors that'll rival the POTUS's doctors in terms of quality

I find it funny how these guys would give tales on how prayer healed them of a disease but they leave out a lot of important details. Oyedepo was one such who preaches healing but sent his wife abroad to seek medical help when she became sick

5 Likes

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by danvon(m): 5:18pm On Apr 26, 2018
If you read your post you would see the true hypocrites here are the atheists who believe Evolution theory here are some facts

1: living in clean environments make you more vulnerable to new diseases you've never experienced before

2: Drugs cure diseases (diseases are becoming more powerful humans are not)

Even Darwin admitted it as 'diseases of civilization'

Is drugs not hindering evolution process is it not bad for us

Why do you support medicine in the first place when centuries ago malaria cholera couldn't wipe our ancestors but today we need nets drugs and it's still not enough

3 Likes

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by Martinez19(m): 5:34pm On Apr 26, 2018
danvon:
If you read your post you would see the true hypocrites here are the atheists who believe Evolution theory here are some facts

1: living in clean environments make you more vulnerable to new diseases you've never experienced before

Why do you support medicine in the first place when centuries ago malaria cholera couldn't wipe our ancestors but today we need nets drugs and it's still not enough
SMH. Next!

3 Likes

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by bloodofthelamb(m): 8:12pm On Apr 26, 2018
Healing is the children's bread, while sound health is for matured sons of God.
Medical health care is made for sons of Adam.

1 Like

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by Originakalokalo(m): 9:00pm On Apr 26, 2018
These are the scriptures:

Jeremiah 46:11

Go up into Gilead, and take balm, O virgin, the daughter of Egypt:

in vain shalt thou use many medicines; for thou shalt not be cured.

What can we deliver from this?

There was herbs or balm from Gilead

2. God can make any medicine to be useless.

In that scriptures, God said that even if you use drugs as potent as balm of Gilead,

IT WON'T WORK FOR YOU

3. Hezekiah was sick and God said...I will heal you.

God directed him to use the leaves of olive on his boil.

More like USE YOUR DRUG.

MEDICINE WORKS BECAUSE GOD WANTS IT TO WORK.

People have died even after the best treatment.

Give Glory to God.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by keentola(m): 8:00pm On Apr 28, 2018
danvon:

Fada lawd!! heal your son's brain. Maybe you forgot to put one in his head

3 Likes

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by danvon(m): 8:24pm On Apr 28, 2018
keentola:
Fada lawd!! heal your son's brain. Maybe you forgot to put one in his head
Answer this simple questions

Are we evolving?

If yes, would we evolve if we take Drugs?/ is it necessary?

1 Like

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by keentola(m): 8:35pm On Apr 28, 2018
danvon:
Answer this simple questions

Are we evolving?

If yes, would we evolve if we take Drugs?
Let me explain evolution to you in the simplest of term.. Scientifically, The Earth has been in existence for over 14billion years(a veeerry long time) out of that 14billion years, humans has been in existence for 0.0024% by some estimates.. that 0.0024% is around a million years.. imagine how slow the process of evolution could be that it takes a million years to be who we are.. divide that million years by 6000 (we started documenting things around 6000 years ago) and look at the percentage of history we have no record of.. there COULD be changes but lack of documents makes it extremely difficult to know where those changes occur..PROPER SCIENCE OF HUMAN BODY BEGAN AROUND 150 YEARS AGO. Compare that to million years and let see the ratio

3 Likes

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by danvon(m): 8:39pm On Apr 28, 2018
keentola:
Let me explain evolution to you in the simplest of term.. Scientifically, The Earth has been in existence for over 14billion years(a veeerry long time) out of that 14billion years, humans has been in existence for 0.0024% by some estimates.. that 0.0024% is around a million years.. imagine how slow the process of evolution could be that it takes a million years to be who we are.. divide that million years by 6000 (we started documenting things around 6000 years ago) and look at the percentage of history we have no record of.. there COULD be changes but lack of documents makes it extremely difficult to know where those changes occur..PROPER SCIENCE OF HUMAN BODY BEGAN AROUND 150 YEARS AGO. Compare that to million years and let see the ratio
Okay keep going... where does medicine fit in
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by keentola(m): 8:55pm On Apr 28, 2018
danvon:
Okay keep going... where does medicine fit in
Were there medicines when 99% of evolution took place?

Though recent scientific findings has shown some organisms that are now resistant to some drugs (evidence of evolution) but drugs are improving and organisms causing them too will improve..
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by pressplay411(m): 9:37pm On Apr 28, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Its called compartmentalisation, they want to eat their fufu and have it

I think the real hypocrites are the religious leaders and faith healers. These guys encourage prayer for health problems while they have a team of personal doctors that'll rival the POTUS's doctors in terms of quality

I find it funny how these guys would give tales on how prayer healed them of a disease but they leave out a lot of important details. Oyedepo was one such who preaches healing but sent his wife abroad to seek medical help when she became sick

Seek and you will find. This is true in everything. Keep seeking faults of the church and I assure you, that's all you'll keep finding.

I encourage you if you haven't seen it, to watch God's Not Dead (1 and 2)
Quite intellectually stimulating movie.
The ultimate question every atheist needs to ask himself is there.

1 Like

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by Martinez19(m): 10:07pm On Apr 28, 2018
pressplay411:

Seek and you will find. This is true in everything. Keep seeking faults of the church and I assure you, that's all you'll keep finding.

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by pressplay411(m): 10:23pm On Apr 28, 2018
Martinez19:
grin
What's funny?
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by hopefulLandlord: 4:41am On Apr 29, 2018
pressplay411:

Yahweh is not dead is a stupid movie, calling it intellectually simulating is akin to calling Buhari fat

GIND is simply a Christian propaganda movie

3 Likes

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by kevoh(m): 6:27am On Apr 29, 2018
pressplay411:

Seek and you will find. This is true in everything. Keep seeking faults of the church and[b] I assure you, that's all you'll keep finding.[/b]
Isn't it because there are faults in the church in the first place? Will your antivirus find a virus on your laptop if there were no virus in the laptop? undecided

pressplay411:

God's not dead is a propaganda Christian movie made by Christian directors to suit the itch of apologetic Christians.
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by pressplay411(m): 6:36am On Apr 29, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Yahweh is not dead is a stupid movie, calling it intellectually simulating is akin to calling Buhari fat

I appreciate objectivity.
To call a movie that is scripted around discourse on religion, science, law and philosophy stupid and unintelligent would seem unfair considering these are perhaps the most prestigious academic dsciplines.

You can decide you do not agree with their arguments, that's different.

1 Like

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by hopefulLandlord: 7:02am On Apr 29, 2018
pressplay411:

I appreciate objectivity.
To call a movie that is scripted around discourse on religion, science, law and philosophy stupid and unintelligent would seem unfair considering these are perhaps the most prestigious academic dsciplines.

You can decide you do not agree with their arguments, that's different.

Only someone who hasn't watched the movie would talk like this.

First off the movie portrays the atheist as NOT an atheist but a misotheist. This ruins the entire film from top to bottom as it portrays atheists as people who know the Christian god exists and Christianity is true but just hates Yahweh and Christianity

Secondly, its built around persecution complex to make Christianity look like a minority which is stupid as its an American film

Thirdly, the movie is born out of a propaganda chain mail. you must've heard about the story of "Albert Einstein" asking his professor who's an atheist if he has a brain http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Atheist_professor_myth

Fourthly, it projects the "No atheist in foxhole" stereotype

Fifthly, the movie makers completely misunderstood Friedrich Nietzsche's "God is dead" to mean "God is literally dead or doesn't exist" whereas he was more talking from a position of how influence of belief in god is "dead"

Sixthly, Even Christians on various websites have panned the film for how nonsensical it is

Finally and the biggest point, the film CANNOT in any way convince people to buy into Christianity or god idea but rather just tells those already inside Christianity that they made a good choice.

8 Likes

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by pressplay411(m): 3:13pm On Apr 29, 2018
kevoh:

Isn't it because there are faults in the church in the first place? Will your antivirus find a virus on your laptop if there were no virus in the laptop? undecided

God's not dead is a propaganda Christian movie made by Christian directors to suit the itch of apologetic Christians.

But there are also valuable programs and files on the same laptop. The antivirus sees both but chooses only to identify the virus by its design.
Hence you will keep finding the faults if that's all you choose to find.
Have you tried finding true Christians?

1 Like

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by pressplay411(m): 3:46pm On Apr 29, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Only someone who hasn't watched the movie would talk like this.

First off the movie portrays the atheist as NOT an atheist but a misotheist. This ruins the entire film from top to bottom as it portrays atheists as people who know the Christian god exists and Christianity is true but just hates Yahweh and Christianity

Secondly, its built around persecution complex to make Christianity look like a minority which is stupid as its an American film

Thirdly, the movie is born out of a propaganda chain mail. you must've heard about the story of "Albert Einstein" asking his professor who's an atheist if he has a brain http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Atheist_professor_myth

Fourthly, it projects the "No atheist in foxhole" stereotype

Fifthly, the movie makers completely misunderstood Friedrich Nietzsche's "God is dead" to mean "God is literally dead or doesn't exist" whereas he was more talking from a position of how influence of belief in god is "dead"

Sixthly, Even Christians on various websites have panned the film for how nonsensical it is

Finally and the biggest point, the film CANNOT in any way convince people to buy into Christianity or god idea but rather just tells those already inside Christianity that they made a good choice.

But clearly I've watched it and yet I talk like this, so it's a difference in perception.
I will try to reply your points accordingly.

1. Both the atheist and misotheist share hatred for God (or the idea of a God) perhaps at variant degrees. Haven't you heard the argument of atheists? How it is smeared with so much hatred.
Perhaps the more important question is to ask yourself, When, What and Why your atheism began?

2. You certainly know this. There's a censorship on God in the disguise of Freedom, and Separation of Church and State. In America and so many countries there are laws against God, not just against Christianity but all religions. Even the name Jesus and God have been muted on your decoder channels, may be you should pay more attention.

5. Lol you know this isn't true. They meant it both ways. The Word of God is shrouded in mysteries hidden in spiritual allegories, I'm sure they would know better.

6. Not every one who goes to church is a Christian. That's the ultimate deception of the enemy. But even that is about to change.

I skipped 3 and 4 because of time.
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by hopefulLandlord: 6:33pm On May 03, 2018
pressplay411:

But clearly I've watched it and yet I talk like this, so it's a difference in perception.
I will try to reply your points accordingly.
I'm doubting you watched it especially since you're an "ex-atheist", I can't wrap my head around how an exatheist would recommend such a film that's being ridiculed by even Christians

1. Both the atheist and misotheist share hatred for God (or the idea of a God) perhaps at variant degrees. Haven't you heard the argument of atheists? How it is smeared with so much hatred.
Perhaps the more important question is to ask yourself, When, What and Why your atheism began?
A misotheist is a theist
"Atheist's hatred for my god" are purely nonsensical statements that gets uttered when Christians are gathered and doesn't stand up to even basic scrutiny when outside the fold. its akin to saying "Jesus loves us"

Atheists I know are not angry at any god, they're angry at the effects of belief in god (or certain effects of it)

Why would my saying your god does not exist, is useless and your religion is bullsheet mean I'm angry at your god?

Let me ask you since you claimed to be an exatheist, were you angry at a particular god then? were you angry at Allah? are you angry at Allah now that you're a Christian?

2. You certainly know this. There's a censorship on God in the disguise of Freedom, and Separation of Church and State. In America and so many countries there are laws against God, not just against Christianity but all religions. Even the name Jesus and God have been muted on your decoder channels, may be you should pay more attention.
Its muted for business reasons probably and there are MANY channels you can switch to IF you're interested in hearing Jesus and god but you won't because you want to hear "Jesus" uttered in "50 shades of gray" or in a Jayz rap song in which he's bragging about wealth while surrounding himself with unclad supermodels. let me make it clear that I'm not in any way supporting their muting it

5. Lol you know this isn't true. They meant it both ways. The Word of God is shrouded in mysteries hidden in spiritual allegories, I'm sure they would know better.
I don't see how this addresses my point at all!

6. Not every one who goes to church is a Christian. That's the ultimate deception of the enemy. But even that is about to change.
check this out
https://www.reddit.com/r/Christianity/comments/7lqeu1/i_am_an_atheist_i_watched_the_movie_gods_not_dead/

by your logic, majority of the posters on that thread aren't Christians even though asides that thread their Post history showed they always supported anything Christianity asides that? that's some insane level of conspiracy theory

you're saying that any Christian who thinks the film is nonsense is simply disguising as a Christian?

I skipped 3 and 4 because of time.
I'm sure you've had more than enough time since then but okay

4 Likes

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by Joshthefirst(m): 8:45pm On May 03, 2018
Martinez19:
grin grin grin grin grin

Ever heard a pastor say to his members "which report shall you believe? The doctor's report or God's report?" grin and the members respond "God's!" or the pastor say "... despite what the doctors say..." and the members keep nodding their heads, like agama lizards, in agreement as the pastors preach on. The irony is that these pastors don't applied this to themselves, even christians too. Why make a mockery of medical science in this manner to express the superiority of yahweh when you will still consult a doctor in the time of need? Some pastors even say that scientists know nothing and God is their master (master scientists) yet they make use of the results of these scientists justifying their hypocrisy with the nonsense of "science is yahweh's provision and medical science is yahweh's cure to man."

The problem is if you will still turn to doctors, then don't shame them and their craft. And for the intellectual failures that are going say "medical science is Yahweh's provision for illnesses", I put it to you that those words portray a God with a misplacement of priority or bad methodology given that he is perfect and all powerful. Why not heal diseases right away while allow your children to squander money on treatments, drugs, surgery and the likes? Why make medicine the sole provision given that medicine is limited but an all powerful god can cure all diseases? Do you know how many christians died from malaria before antimalarial drugs were invented? What was yahweh doing when these christians were perishing from malaria? Folding his arms?Today, any christian who has terminal cancer dies. So why a provision that is limited instead of your raw unlimited power which is available?

That's poor methodology. Christians should stop all these nonsense and admit that the bible supports healing by faith alone rather than try to cover it up with "medical science is God's provision". They should be clear on where they stand and stop being hypocritical and confusing people. Up science! Up doctors!
Yes. Thank God for doctors and science. Unfortunately for you, medical science is not in any opposition to trusting in God. There are different levels of trust and faith, and whichever one any Christian is at is fine, so far as he realizes that God is for him and not against him. Christians believe the dysfunction of this world caused by sin’s entry into creation is the cause of sickness and disease.

And God wishes us to prosper in health, even as our souls prosper.
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by Joshthefirst(m): 8:48pm On May 03, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

It is actually intellectually stimulating.

And before is it godless propaganda you want us to watch? You better be serious oh.
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by pressplay411(m): 9:01pm On May 03, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I'm doubting you watched it especially since you're an "ex-atheist", I can't wrap my head around how an exatheist would recommend such a film that's being ridiculed by even Christians

A misotheist is a theist
"Atheist's hatred for my god" are purely nonsensical statements that gets uttered when Christians are gathered and doesn't stand up to even basic scrutiny when outside the fold. its akin to saying "Jesus loves us"

Atheists I know are not angry at any god, they're angry at the effects of belief in god (or certain effects of it)

Why would my saying your god does not exist, is useless and your religion is bullsheet mean I'm angry at your god?

Let me ask you since you claimed to be an exatheist, were you angry at a particular god then? were you angry at Allah? are you angry at Allah now that you're a Christian?

Its muted for business reasons probably and there are MANY channels you can switch to IF you're interested in hearing Jesus and god but you won't because you want to hear "Jesus" uttered in "50 shades of gray" or in a Jayz rap song in which he's bragging about wealth while surrounding himself with unclad supermodels. let me make it clear that I'm not in any way supporting their muting it

I don't see how this addresses my point at all!

check this out
https://www.reddit.com/r/Christianity/comments/7lqeu1/i_am_an_atheist_i_watched_the_movie_gods_not_dead/

by your logic, majority of the posters on that thread aren't Christians even though asides that thread their Post history showed they always supported anything Christianity asides that? that's some insane level of conspiracy theory

you're saying that any Christian who thinks the film is nonsense is simply disguising as a Christian?

I'm sure you've had more than enough time since then but okay

I ecommended the movie to you cos it was produced to address the arguments of atheism and while also ministering to Christians to be equipped to answer the questions of Atheists. Because atheism is the most beautiful deception and easily tempting to fall for if a Christians foundation is shaky or when confronted with challenges he finds "unchristian."
I recommend it to atheists more importantly because it planted a seed into my heart that must have been instrumental in my salvation much later.

That some Christians ridiculed it is not of consequence to me because it ministered to me, and nothing can take that away from it. It answered some questions, made me ask myself some salient questions, of course not immediately cos I watched with the intention to shred it's arguments apart having been recommended by a Christian who was hell-bent on evangelising to me then.

Regarding the 3 and 4 I skipped, I read the article and realised they were pretty much self explanatory, just a matter of perception. And Truly Atheists do call on God or higher power or something when at their wit's end. So no atheist in foxhole.

About the atheist not hating God. I asked you a question you didn't answer. Let me paraphrase.

Did you grow up raised an atheist?
When did you become an atheist?
What event or series of events led to your atheism and made you decide there's no God?
Did the event(s) make you feel cheated by God and invariably start hating the idea of God?

I ask because, that's how I became an atheist, I felt strongly cheated by a seemingly loving father figure who was supposed prevent me from harm yet I found myself in the worst situation I never imagined for myself. But now I know better.

1 Like

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by hopefulLandlord: 9:39pm On May 03, 2018
pressplay411:

I ecommended the movie to you cos it was produced to address the arguments of atheism and while also ministering to Christians to be equipped to answer the questions of Atheists. Because atheism is the most beautiful deception and easily tempting to fall for if a Christians foundation is shaky or when confronted with challenges he finds "unchristian."
I recommend it to atheists more importantly because it planted a seed into my heart that must have been instrumental in my salvation much later.
honestly your atheism must've been really weak for such a film to plant seed into your heart but I guess the movie did that to you cuz you're simply the type of "atheist" the movie was talking about and/or the saying "Even a broken clock is right twice a day" applies here

FYI the movie NEVER addressed any arguments of atheism, rather strawmanned atheist arguments. I'm still finding it difficult you were an atheist when you watched it cuz the movie is extremely stupid

That some Christians ridiculed it is not of consequence to me because it ministered to me, and nothing can take that away from it.
you misunderstood me!

I said many Christians panned the movie and you replied that by asserting that not everyone claiming Christian is a Christian. This prompted my showing you proof of people who argue for Christianity a lot but thinks the film is nonsense

It answered some questions, made me ask myself some salient questions, of course not immediately cos I watched with the intention to shred it's arguments apart having been recommended by a Christian who was hell-bent on evangelising to me then.
good for you

Regarding the 3 and 4 I skipped, I read the article and realised they were pretty much self explanatory, just a matter of perception. And Truly Atheists do call on God or higher power or something when at their wit's end. So no atheist in foxhole.
Nonsense

About the atheist not hating God. I asked you a question you didn't answer. Let me paraphrase.

Did you grow up raised an atheist?
No!

When did you become an atheist?
in my teens

What event or series of events led to your atheism and made you decide there's no God?
I asked myself why I believed in Christianity and I came up with the answers

1. Indoctrination
2. Fear
3. Ignorance
4. wanting to fit in as everyone around me was a theist

Did the event(s) make you feel cheated by God and invariably start hating the idea of God?

This exactly is where you're getting it wrong, I didn't feel cheated "by god" but rather by indoctrination, by the world being built around the idea of gods, by laws being passed with the idea of what god wants and by people who are making me feel bad due to my rejecting the idea of god. By my parent's presenting a belief to me as fact

This is exactly why I said the kind of atheists portrayed in the movie is not the type out there or at least I haven't met such. its a stupid and ridiculous strawman

I ask because, that's how I became an atheist, I felt strongly cheated by a seemingly loving father figure who was supposed prevent me from harm yet I found myself in the worst situation I never imagined for myself. But now I know better.
I'm not in a habit of throwing the no true Scotsman fallacy but I'll bite. you were never really an atheist, just an irreligious or deist at best or a misotheist at worst

I don't blame any god for any issue I'm going through I might blame people's belief in a god for certain issues however and some of these issues might not be unconnected to what I'm going through. This is atheism 101 and anyone who thinks god somehow is to blame for anything is NOT an atheist

Let me repeat again that blaming the consequences of believing in a god is different from blaming god himself. An atheist may do the former but only a non atheist can do the latter

Let me use an example to illustrate it further, a theist and an atheist are strolling down the road in Saudi Arabia and see a crowd gathered, they go for a look and see a man being held by some men on top of a high rise building. The atheist realises the man being held is their friend and asks people what he did wrong as it appears the people holding the friend is about to throw him down from the building top, someone tells them he was accused/found guilty of being gay just as he's thrown to his death to screams of "Allahu Akbar".

The theist might blame Allah for what happened to his friend while the atheist might blame "the people's belief in Allah" for what happened to his friend

5 Likes

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by Joshthefirst(m): 9:59pm On May 03, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

honestly your atheism must've been really weak for such a film to plant seed into your heart but I guess the movie did that to you cuz you're simply the type of "atheist" the movie was talking about...

Therein lies the fallacy of atheism. You have to seriously strengthen it all the time, because life itself is a constant whisperer of the truth. You have to really be strong and constantly ward off reason to feed this illogical and even destructive worldview.

1 Like

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by hopefulLandlord: 10:05pm On May 03, 2018
Joshthefirst:

Therein lies the fallacy of atheism. You have to seriously strengthen it all the time, because life itself is a constant whisperer of the truth. You have to really be strong and constantly ward off reason to feed this illogical and even destructive worldview.

Hmmmmm okay but most Christians I've talked to about the film agrees with me, there's nothing sensible in that film and its not meant to win over atheists but to preach to the choir. The atheist in that film was not an atheist but a misotheist so I stand by my words that Only an extremely weak atheist or a misotheist would be worn over by such a film or have seed sown by that film but to each its own so make of that what you will
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by Martinez19(m): 10:06pm On May 03, 2018
Someone says he is an atheist and GIND made him a christian. How the hell did that happen? grin

Someone saying that GIND is intellectually stimulating tells a lot about that person's intellect. grin
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by hopefulLandlord: 10:10pm On May 03, 2018
Martinez19:
Someone says he is an atheist and GIND made him a christian. How the hell did that happen? grin

Someone saying that GIND is intellectually stimulating tells a lot about that person's intellect. grin

Honestly I'm shocked and even tempted to scrutinise his claims of being former atheist but I don't have that time
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by pressplay411(m): 10:17pm On May 03, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

honestly your atheism must've been really weak for such a film to plant seed into your heart but I guess the movie did that to you cuz you're simply the type of "atheist" the movie was talking about

FYI the movie NEVER addressed any arguments of atheism, rather strawmanned atheist arguments. I'm still finding it difficult you were an atheist when you watched it cuz the movie is extremely stupid

you misunderstood me!

I said many Christians panned the movie and you replied that by asserting that not everyone claiming Christian is a Christian. This prompted my showing you proof of people who argue for Christianity a lot but thinks the film is nonsense
good for you

Nonsense

No!

in my teens

I asked myself why I believed in Christianity and I came up with the answers

1. Indoctrination
2. Fear
3. Ignorance
4. wanting to fit in as everyone around me was a theist

This exactly is where you're getting it wrong, I didn't feel cheated "by god" but rather by indoctrination, by the world being built around the idea of gods, by laws being passed with the idea of what god wants and by people who are making me feel bad due to my rejecting the idea of god. By my parent's presenting a belief to me as fact

This is exactly why I said the kind of atheists portrayed in the movie is not the type out there or at least I haven't met such. its a stupid and ridiculous strawman

I'm not in a habit of throwing the no true Scotsman fallacy but I'll bite. you were never really an atheist, just an irreligious or deist at best or a misotheist at worst

I don't blame any god for any issue I'm going through I might blame people's belief in a god for certain issues however and some of these issues might not be unconnected to what I'm going through. This is atheism 101 and anyone who thinks god somehow is to blame for anything is NOT an atheist

Let me repeat again that blaming the consequences of believing in a god is different from blaming god himself. An atheist may do the former but only a non atheist can do the latter

That we do not share the same journey doesn't mean can't get to the same destination. According to Oxford dictionary,

Atheism is the belief that no deities exist (sometimes including rejection of other religious beliefs).

By this definition, I was an atheist. I was probably not as deeprooted as you've obviously become.
My atheism however later recognised the existence and power of a super force or suprer consciousness cos that was undeniable. I believed in the power of my Mind which really is basically belief in self. I knew my mind was connected to something which generated my thoughts and new ideas. It had to be responsible for coincidences, luck, fate, serendipity, cycle of life, the extra-perception, intuition, etc.
Things my knowledge and sense could never fathom. Hence it was impossible not to believe there's a super-consciousness.

Absent the fear of any God, I lived a reckless life only respecting human laws and I went as far as the tunnel would lead immorally. All that vain, hopeless life made no sense to me. But salvation does. So how can you sell a fake iPhone to Tim Cook? When he owns Apple.

I realised it rather took away my protection and left me out in the cold.
God could do without me, but I couldn't do without God, I was self-destructing.

Like I said in an earlier post, it's all a matter of choice. God won't come down to say I am God serve me. He gave us the power of Free Will because it is the one thing that can make us fulfill His purpose. But we've been deceived to use our freewill against Him.
Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by Martinez19(m): 10:17pm On May 03, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Honestly I'm shocked and even tempted to scrutinise his claims of beings former atheist but I don't have that time
Are you minding the liar? He was never an atheist. If I am wrong then it either:
1) he was brought up to be an atheist and never knew why he is an atheist or what atheism is all about.
2) he has a low IQ.

Perhaps he was a misotheist thinking that he was an atheist and the film suited him. In fact, one thing is certain, his IQ is low.

1 Like

Re: Confusion And Hypocrisy On The Part Of Christians Towards Science. by pressplay411(m): 10:39pm On May 03, 2018
Martinez19:
Are you minding the liar? He was never an atheist. If I am wrong then it either:
1) he was brought up to be an atheist and never knew why he is an atheist or what atheism is all about.
2) he has a low IQ.

Perhaps he was a misotheist thinking that he was an atheist and the film suited him. In fact, one thing is certain, his IQ is low.

Resorting to insults and diatribes is a sign of defeat and it doesn't look good, even on you.
Now let's try to keep the discussion on the subject.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Daily Devotional / Power Must Change Hands - January 2019 / Satan's Use Of Godless Women. By Pst Paul Rika.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.