Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,207 members, 7,829,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor (939 Views)

Olisa Metuh And Yerima The Bail Differences - Just Check This. / Supporters Gather As EFCC Grills Saraki’s Wife / ICPC Grills Orubebe For Alleged N605m Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by timbuktu1: 6:40pm On May 18, 2010
Mr. Yerima told journalists that he was not bound by the laws of this nation but by Islamic laws.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5569139-146/agency_grills_yerima_over_marriage_to.csp
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by ElRazur: 6:46pm On May 18, 2010

Former governor of Zamfara State, Ahmed Sani Yerima who is also a serving senator was today questioned by the National Agency for Prohibition of Traffic in Persons and other Related Matters (NAPTIP) over his alleged marriage to an Egyptian minor.

Mr. Yerima, who reportedly got married to a 14-year-old Egyptian girl in Abuja, had been invited by the National Human Rights Commission of Nigeria and NAPTIP but refused to respond to the invitations.

Hours later after questioning, he was granted bail on self recognition and asked to report back to the Agency on 15 June.

While, outside the court, Mr. Yerima told journalists that he was not bound by the laws of this nation but by Islamic laws, which he claims he has not breached.

The way the story is written is confusing. He declined invitation in the "nd paragraph, but then it was then reported in such a manner that he did went to the questioning session? I guess some sort of editorial typographical error or something?

Anyway, if the story is true. It is interesting how he feels he is above the law of the land, yet he appears to work for the same land that he help to make the law for! That is just ironic at best. [Abi na hypocrisy?]

It is depressing to read this, and I am not sure anything will come out of it.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by Kobojunkie: 6:48pm On May 18, 2010
ElRazur:

Anyway, if the story is true. It is interesting how he feels he is above the law of the land, yet he appears to work for the same land that he help to make the law for! That is just ironic at best. [Abi na hypocrisy?]

You mean there are already laws against this?
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 18, 2010
hes not bound by the law of a country where he resides, Isnt absurd? or does he think hes above the Nigerian laws
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by ElRazur: 6:52pm On May 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You mean there are already laws against this?

I am sure there is a legal age for marriage in Nigeria. He probably broke that one.

I have a feeling, there is something in our constitution that stops "immoral acts" like this.

I have a feeling, his crimes are so heinous that he could be breaking international law and may be subject to prosecution in any of the UN member states.

But then, this is Nigeria.  grin

However, as I said in the previous thread, I am not sure there are specific laws for this kind of thing. Also, as my people talk if there is no law, there is no sin.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by ElRazur: 6:52pm On May 18, 2010
toba:

hes not bound by the law of a country where he resides, Isnt absurd? or does he think hes above the Nigerian laws

How obvious do you want him to get?
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by TewMuch: 8:02pm On May 18, 2010
Mr. Yerima told journalists that he was not bound by the laws of this nation but by Islamic laws, which he claims he has not breached.

This man has psychological problems and is an arrogant idiot. For someone that is in the senate this is a big shame, he should lose his seat. He sounds and acts like a thorough illiterate. If other senators do not call for his resignation then they are shameless. He should be probed and thrown out. What the heck was obasanjo thinking when he let this sharia nonsense pass? If people in the same country cannot be bound by the same laws then no one should be held accountable for any criminal activity. I propose christians should also lobby for their own laws. So we will have christain law, sharia law, and government law. He also forgets that that same sharia law is supposed to cut off his hands for theft, where did he get the $100000 from? Is that even supposed to equal his salary over the time he is supposed to serve in the senate? Please somebody chop off this fools hands. angry. If we are going to move on as one Nigeria, the north must drop sharia. No one should be above the law.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by Odunnu: 9:53pm On May 18, 2010
TewMuch:

This man has psychological problems and is an arrogant idiot. For someone that is in the senate this is a big shame, he should lose his seat. He sounds and acts like a thorough illiterate. If other senators do not call for his resignation then they are shameless. He should be probed and thrown out. What the heck was obasanjo thinking when he let this sharia nonsense pass? If people in the same country cannot be bound by the same laws then no one should be held accountable for any criminal activity. I propose christians should also lobby for their own laws. So we will have christain law, sharia law, and government law. He also forgets that that same sharia law is supposed to cut off his hands for theft, where did he get the $100000 from? Is that even supposed to equal his salary over the time he is supposed to serve in the senate? Please somebody chop off this fools hands. angry. If we are going to move on as one Nigeria, the north must drop sharia. No one should be above the law.
Wallahi,this news vex you,no be small.I can imagine what you'l do if you had presidential powers for five minuites.
My dear,cool temper.Evn with the obvious breakdown in our laws,the laws of nature stands for ever.
Be still and watch events,no burst artery!
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by Odunnu: 9:54pm On May 18, 2010
TewMuch:

Wallahi,this news vex you,no be small.I can imagine what you'l do if you had presidential powers for five minuites.
My dear,cool temper.Evn with the obvious breakdown in our laws,the laws of nature stands for ever.
Be still and watch events,no burst artery!
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 18, 2010
It's unfortunate that our irresponsible politicians are going to play the nation up once again. Yerima's act is as pathetic as it could get. If not, how can a man who believed so much in the legislative system to have contested to be made a law maker, turn around and say he will not abide by the laws therein made?

His actions borders on hypocrisy and manipulation. For wilfully violating the constitution of the republic, the Judiciary, AGF & Senate should take legal action against him and let the rule of law /justice takes its course.

In this case, any religious-based excuse is not tenable, for he consented to the law and have never challenged it in the court of law.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by BEAUTYGURU(f): 10:35pm On May 18, 2010
Odunnu
Give me your facebook Id, i need to transmit some important info to you.
Tnx.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by udezue(m): 11:04pm On May 18, 2010
What ya didn't know? Northerners are above the law. Get used to it. Its one 9ja
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by sjeezy8: 11:09pm On May 18, 2010
northerners arent above the law you idiot, the Elite are- One Nigeria indeed!

and the same thing in the bible it states in quran about marriage but this is modern day and we dont live by the bible word by word- no one has time for it.

So the guy is right marrying a young babe isnt against the Bible or Quran- he just took advantage of the backwardnes in Nigeria.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by marvix(m): 11:56pm On May 18, 2010
Wen I say our problems are d educated illiterates we have in dis country pple wld say I was insultin people.

The idiot Yerima is an educated illiterate so also is a good num of the membas of d senate, wen he said he is bound by Islamic law he shld hav known if he was well educated nd literate, that the sharia law is a lower law to the laws of Nigeria, so if we charge him 2 a sharia court he can win but then we can appeal d case 2 d high court upto d supreme court, the senators in d chambers shld hav immediately suspended him nd explore legal means 2 get him out of d senate because he violated d child right act dat was passed into law by them.

Abeg kobo no need 2 try intimidatin anybody we hav laws against dat type of action.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by Ibime(m): 12:02am On May 19, 2010
Mr Yerima is not bound by the laws of the country, but he is a lawmaker? . . . . that alone should be enough to kick him out of the senate.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by fsb(m): 4:05am On May 19, 2010
Ibime, We're on the same frequency on dis one!

Can u imagine the pedophilic Arrow saying he's not bound by the laws of this country? Do these people even go to school at all or do they think that Nigerian's are silly, how can a Senator in his right mind make such a statement?

Were u sworn in as a Senator to upload Islam or to upload the Constitution of Nigeria? Bloody Mother-fucker!

I just get so angry when I hear this gist,  I pity myself and millions of Nigerians out there who are under the rule of people who believe they are somehow not subject to the same laws they have been sworn in to upload and protect.

How can we progress as a nation? We are finished!!! The annoying part is that about 2 weeks ago on a domestic flight, one silly dude was supporting Yerima saying he would give out his own 13-year old daughter to any one of us who approached him, provided the person was muslim.

Such Bollocks!!!
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by babuji(f): 4:41am On May 19, 2010
The guy is smart. He wants to play the religion hand. Knowing the emotions attached to religion in this country, he just wants to look as if he is being persecuted for upholding his religious beliefs.
I heard that the Zamfara women are already protesting in his Favour that he has done nothing wrong since the muslim religion supports it.
But I know he will be exposed and disgraced sooner than later.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by Godalone(m): 7:21am On May 19, 2010
Yerima should be kicked out of senate.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by rasputinn(m): 7:45am On May 19, 2010

Sani said, “The Child Right Act they are talking about was brought to me in Zamfara as a governor; my people rejected it so also other states in the North. It was rejected by the Zamfara State House of Assembly because it is against the Islamic religion.”

With that bullcrap,the idiiot said above,mr Yerima should be sent to a shrink ASAP,and the statement is an unfortunate minus for the people of Zamfara and the religion of Islam
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by bibiking1(m): 7:57am On May 19, 2010
I believe he plans to bring the Islamic religion into disrepute! Or is it a religion of paedophiles?
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by rasputinn(m): 8:09am On May 19, 2010
bibiking1:

I believe he plans to bring the Islamic religion into disrepute! Or is it a religion of paedophiles?

I beleive Yerima is mentally unstable,he should be sent to a mad people's home for rehab
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by bibiking1(m): 10:20am On May 19, 2010
rasputinn:

I beleive Yerima is mentally unstable,he should be sent to a mad people's home for rehab

like three-quarter of his peers at the lawmaking house!
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by Nobody: 10:37am On May 19, 2010
b4 we continue to kill yerima it is obvious our local journalist are either dumb or afraid to ask questions

after his comments that he is not bound by nigerian law, the next leading question should have been u claim u are not bound by nigerian law but u r a law maker in nigeria, how come

so u decide what law u abide to anytime, so u can continue to commit crimes

it is very easy to ask leading questions that could continue to sink the man so u have enough prove to force the senate to expel him then his immunity would disappear and then we can hang him, but as usual our journalist are afraid of politicians or rich men in quote

what is morally wrong is wrong under any religion, even the bible says give to Ceaser what belongs to him

if laws of the land say it is wrong then it is wrong. no excuse for perverts.
Re: Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor by Odunnu: 8:18am On May 20, 2010
BEAUTYGURU:

Odunnu
Give me your facebook Id, i need to transmit some important info to you.
Tnx.
JESUS of GOODLUCKJONATHAN!!!
An info u kant gv out hia?datz ridiculous.
Why nt ask 4my email?why fbk?
Do I smell a stench?Beta xplain yaself b4 I blacklist u as Lesbian!

(1) (Reply)

Abiye Sekibo Joins Acn / A Culture Of Unbridled Violence Part II / You’ll Go To Jail If…. Olurin Warns Daniel !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.