Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,589 members, 7,958,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:36 AM

Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People (1819 Views)

The Man Called Tinubu The JAGABAN Of Southwest~ A Must Read / Buhari Sufferes Setback As Southwest Apc Governors Move To Pdp / Alaafin Visits Bourdilon As Southwest Prepares For 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by Jimsonjaat96(m): 2:01pm On Apr 28, 2018
It's in the late 1950s - 1958 or '59, as I was told - when Sir. Ahmadu Bello (Sadauna) came to Ọffa, my hometown. He came on Official Inspection of his Father's (Northern) land. And to commission the then biggest and modern mosque.
* (The mosque is now by Ọlọffa way, beside Sanni Aba's House. You will first get to it when you coming from Station roads; there's always Arabic class taken infront of it every evening.)
In unison my people welcomed him. People went out on the street en masse. Known for their hospitality and accommodation, they made Sadauna felt at home. Every joint preparation put in order happened in orderly and accordingly manner. Ọffa people showed him the very best showcase of our culture and heritage....I was told he was bubbling with joy wholeheartedly.
After he commissioned the mosque, the second reason he came for, he authoritatively turned to my people. The Great Sadauna himself. He and his Staff of Office, the symbol of Power. As a satisfied and elated guest, he wanted to bless his hosts. Sadauna was not an ingrate!
He reportedly said, "Ọffa, tell me what you want and it shall be done this very minute." Ọffa were overjoyed. This is a free ticket, from the one of the three most powerful men in the Nigerian government (the other two were Chief Obafẹmi Awolọwọ and Nnamdi Azikwe). This is a lifetime opportunity Ọffa were waiting for. One of the most rare of that generation. Almost unheard of.
King, chiefs, elders and the people jointly came together; they deliberated, they meditated, but obviously they already knew what to request for. As happy as lark, they came to Sadauna and made their request. A singular request . A taboo. A mistake in history. An abomination (as of then)......A blockage in progress like mountain of Gibraltar.
They voiced: "we want to move to Western region. We want nothing else." Ka'asa! Sangba fọ! An insult to the Sadaunan Government! The words have been spoken....the ink has dried...Sadauna duly replied: "not an inch of my father's land would go to the South West." So, Sir. Alhaji Ahmadu Bello left, with his Staff of Office, the Power of the North, granting no request.....
Till his death in 1966 he granted the request not. Not even till now.
I was in the then-commissioned mosque sometimes last year (2016). To pray Solat Isha'i - if my brain still serves me alright. An elderly man, out of the three left in the mosque, including me made four, exclaimed: "this used to be the biggest, 'most' modern and sought-after mosque in the 1960s,70s even till few years in 80s..." another replied, "why wouldn't it be when it's Sadauna himself that commissioned it?" My heart missed some skips...Sadauna? Sadauna was once in my hometown?
Curiosity took better of me, I formed instant rapport with them. I turned to baby Jesus and they the three Magi; the trio told the story. With each word they grew sober, depressed, pensive.....It was a 30-minute encounter, when done, I was more pensive and depressed than the trio of them combined .......
My people are right. We are neither Hausa nor Fulani. We are not part of the North - we never were. Ogun Ijọba lo shi wa ko. We are the headquarters of Ibọlọ dialect of Ọyọ Empire - a dialect that's spoken from Ajashẹ-Ippo to Iwo (Olodo Ọba). We are descendants of Prince Olulakun Olalọmi Ọlọfagangan, a prince from Ọyọ Alaafin, of Ọyọ Ile founded by Ọranmiyan. Oranmiyan, one of the sons of Oduduwa - gbaa juu ree!

* ( Ọyọ Empire's land is divided into four parts. They are Eku Ọtun, Eku Osi, Epo and Ibọlọ. Ọffa heads Ibolo Kingdom.)

Desk Of Insanity,
Jimson Jaat Taofik,
The M.A.D Writer
(Making A Difference)
#TogetherWeCanBeMAD

(This piece was first published on December 28, 2017, via Facebook by its writer Jimoh Taofik Adekunle (Jimson Jaat Taofik)
Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by laudate: 2:16pm On Apr 28, 2018
Interesting! cheesy What an insightful piece...! shocked

1 Like

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by otosa(m): 4:00pm On Apr 28, 2018
Let me tell u, we can't develop as a country except everybody table what S/he want and been answered according to the request. This is offa's story. What of untold one from every part of the country. We need to be restructured b4 any other thing

5 Likes

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by BankeSmalls(f): 4:04pm On Apr 28, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by BabaRamota1980: 4:15pm On Apr 28, 2018
Jimsonjaat96:
It's in the late 1950s - 1958 or '59, as I was told - when Sir. Ahmadu Bello (Sadauna) came to Ọffa, my hometown. He came on Official Inspection of his Father's (Northern) land. And to commission the then biggest and modern mosque.
* (The mosque is now by Ọlọffa way, beside Sanni Aba's House. You will first get to it when you coming from Station roads; there's always Arabic class taken infront of it every evening.)
In unison my people welcomed him. People went out on the street en masse. Known for their hospitality and accommodation, they made Sadauna felt at home. Every joint preparation put in order happened in orderly and accordingly manner. Ọffa people showed him the very best showcase of our culture and heritage....I was told he was bubbling with joy wholeheartedly.
After he commissioned the mosque, the second reason he came for, he authoritatively turned to my people. The Great Sadauna himself. He and his Staff of Office, the symbol of Power. As a satisfied and elated guest, he wanted to bless his hosts. Sadauna was not an ingrate!
He reportedly said, "Ọffa, tell me what you want and it shall be done this very minute." Ọffa were overjoyed. This is a free ticket, from the one of the three most powerful men in the Nigerian government (the other two were Chief Obafẹmi Awolọwọ and Nnamdi Azikwe). This is a lifetime opportunity Ọffa were waiting for. One of the most rare of that generation. Almost unheard of.
King, chiefs, elders and the people jointly came together; they deliberated, they meditated, but obviously they already knew what to request for. As happy as lark, they came to Sadauna and made their request. A singular request . A taboo. A mistake in history. An abomination (as of then)......A blockage in progress like mountain of Gibraltar.
They voiced: "we want to move to Western region. We want nothing else." Ka'asa! Sangba fọ! An insult to the Sadaunan Government! The words have been spoken....the ink has dried...Sadauna duly replied: "not an inch of my father's land would go to the South West." So, Sir. Alhaji Ahmadu Bello left, with his Staff of Office, the Power of the North, granting no request.....
I was in the then-commissioned mosque sometimes last year (2016). To pray Solat Isha'i - if my brain still serves me alright. An elderly man, out of the three left in the mosque, including me made four, exclaimed: "this used to be the biggest, 'most' modern and sought-after mosque in the 1960s,70s even till few years in 80s..." another replied, "why wouldn't it be when it's Sadauna himself that commissioned it?" My heart missed some skips...Sadauna? Sadauna was once in my hometown?
Curiosity took better of me, I formed instant rapport with them. I turned to baby Jesus and they the three Magi; the trio told the story. With each word they grew sober, depressed, pensive.....It was a 30-minute encounter, when done, I was more pensive and depressed than the trio of them combined .......
My people are right. We are neither Hausa nor Fulani. We are not part of the North - we never were. Ogun Ijọba lo shi wa ko. We are the headquarters of Ibọlọ dialect of Ọyọ Empire - a dialect that's spoken from Ajashẹ-Ippo to Iwo (Olodo Ọba). We are descendants of Prince Olulakun Olalọmi Ọlọfagangan, a prince from Ọyọ Alaafin, of Ọyọ Ile founded by Ọranmiyan. Oranmiyan, one of the sons of Oduduwa - gbaa juu ree!

* ( Ọyọ Empire's land is divided into four parts. They are Eku Ọtun, Eku Osi, Epo and Ibọlọ. Ọffa heads Ibolo Kingdom.)

Desk Of Insanity,
Jimson Jaat Taofik,
The M.A.D Writer
(Making A Difference)
#TogetherWeCanBeMAD

(This piece was first published on December 28, 2017, via Facebook by its writer Jimoh Taofik Adekunle (Jimson Jaat Taofik)

Many of Yoruba myths and history is indeed in inclusion of Offa, not to mention that Offa is one of the principal and ancient towns recorded in Ifa manuscripts, as well that the popular Yoruba figure Moremi is an indigene of Offa. Many thought she is from Ile-Ife but she is not...she married into Ife, her roots are in Offa.

2 Likes

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by PDJT: 4:26pm On Apr 28, 2018
-I suppose Ahmadu Bello people have already claimed that village of Offa forever. Forget it.

4 Likes

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by Firgemachar: 4:29pm On Apr 28, 2018
There was nothing like south west at the time.

1 Like

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by BankeSmalls(f): 4:30pm On Apr 28, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Many of Yoruba myths and history is indeed in inclusion of Offa, not to mention that Offa is one of the principal and ancient towns recorded in Ifa manuscripts, as well that the popular Yoruba figure Moremi is an indigene of Offa. Many thought she is from Ile-Ife but she is not...she married into Ife, her roots are in Offa.

Yoruba has only 6 states. We shouldn't be doing attachee by force to northern towns.

8 Likes

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by Mr2wealth: 6:11pm On Apr 28, 2018
History should and must be taught in our schools. We all need to know our root and history, if we don't, we are lost for ever. kiss
Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by BabaRamota1980: 6:13pm On Apr 28, 2018
BankeSmalls:

Yoruba has only 6 states. We shouldn't be doing attachee by force to northern towns.

I gave you a like for this comment. It is good when people recognize that Yorubaland is not limited to one region in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by Onechancearmy(m): 6:43pm On Apr 28, 2018
Jimsonjaat96:

Desk Of Insanity,
Jimson Jaat Taofik,
The M.A.D Writer
(Making A Difference)
#TogetherWeCanBeMAD

Yes. I really pity you guys. Apparently the building of a giant mosque is more important than the building of a world class health care facility or tertiary institution. They should take the Federal Polytechnic away from you guys and give you a giant mosque to replace it where you can be nacking your foreheads on the ground all day long in worship of your imaginary god. In fact, I'm not even sure most people in the Southwest regard you as Yorubas anyway. Your illiteracy, backwardness, religious intolerance and underdevelopment make you naturally qualified to be part of the North. Good riddance.

2 Likes

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by Lipscomb(m): 6:52pm On Apr 28, 2018
shocked
Onechancearmy:

Yes. I really pity you guys. Apparently the building of a giant mosque is more important than the building of a world class health care facility or tertiary institution. They should take the Federal Polytechnic away from you guys and give you a giant mosque to replace it where you can be nacking your foreheads on the ground all day long in worship of your imaginary god. In fact, I'm not even sure most people in the Southwest regard you as Yorubas anyway. Your illiteracy, backwardness, religious intolerance and underdevelopment make you naturally qualified to be part of the North. Good riddance.

1 Like

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by raumdeuter: 6:52pm On Apr 28, 2018
jarus

1 Like

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by Jimsonjaat96(m): 7:18pm On Apr 28, 2018
Firgemachar:
There was nothing like south west at the time.
Yes. There was only Western Region. I didn't write Southwest.
Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 28, 2018
Needless thread abeg. Offa is less dan 20mins from osun. SW or north central are all artificial creations and mean nothing. Are thr badagry pple SW . abeg leave matter for lawma

2 Likes

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by adadike(f): 8:19pm On Apr 28, 2018
If I tell people that Bihari is killing of the indigenous people of Benue because they fought and stopped Uthman dan fodio, they no dey believe me. I hope u all can see that evil mind in sadauna too?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by fotadmowmend(m): 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2018
Saying that Offa or Ilorin isnt southwest is just a mere political gimmick. Offa and Ilorin are yorubalands
Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by EdCure: 8:43pm On Apr 28, 2018
adadike:
If I tell people that Bihari is killing of the indigenous people of Benue because they fought and stopped Uthman dan fodio, they no dey believe me. I hope u all can see that evil mind in sadauna too?
You are very correct. Buhari is executing the Fulani agenda. Working to finish the work of Dan fodio.

2 Likes

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by Gerrard59(m): 9:18am On Jun 20, 2021
adadike:

Do they still doubt you? grin

BTW, happy birthday!

1 Like

Re: Offa As Southwest: A Mistake Of My People by OBALOLA55(m): 9:52am On Jun 20, 2021
adadike:
shockedshockedshocked

(1) (Reply)

Fela Durotoye Celebrates His 47th Birthday / Why Are Nigerian Elites Afraid Of Igbo Presidency? / It's Time For Tinubu To Go, He Has Overstayed His Welcome - Agbakoba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.