Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,294 members, 7,818,992 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife - Culture (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife (156662 Views)

Catriona Laing Visits Ooni Of Ife [photo] / Governor Obiano Visits Ooni Of Ife And Wife, Wishes Them A Successful Marriage / Larry Ekundayo Visits Ooni Of Ife And Kneels Before Him (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (123) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 1:29pm On May 12, 2018
prolog2:
Now try and have the sentences in full !
Try and post a link to the book !
I just wonder what kind of brains you guys have.
You haven't proven anything. Rather as usual you are taking words out of context with highly redacted sentences and with no link to the book and no library of authentication.
Are you just stvpid or are you performing an other 419 trick ?

how far where is ur historical document or any fact whatsoever to buttress ur point that dahomey was under Benin.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 2:28pm On May 12, 2018
Alright am done with this thread no more comment from me but it has been fun my Benin friends. Oodua a gbe gbogbo omo yoruba ooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Obalufon: 3:31pm On May 12, 2018
Moneywomen17:
if I show u proof written by Dahomey themselves is that enough proof but first u have to show me proof about Dahomey being under ur Benin village.

dem go drive go oyo abi ..you know where oyo is ..oyo was in contact with them through their vassal state Dahomey and Badagry
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Obalufon: 3:34pm On May 12, 2018
prolog2:
It seems you don't understand the meaning of the word "proof".
It doesn't matter where it is coming from.
It is obvious that the myth of oyo ever being an empire was created to steal the glory of Benin empire and give it to a yoruba entity.
Yoruba low self esteem is making them try to actually engage in history theft.
ife wants to steal Benin monarchy and artwork, while oyo wants to steal Benin military might and empire status.
You think you can just own Benin history and share it among your lazy yoruba lots ? think again !

Prolog white bum licker dem go drive go oyo abi ..you know where oyo is ..oyo was in contact with them through their vassal state Dahomey and Badagry
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by hurrycayne: 7:27pm On May 12, 2018
Do not insult the oba. It speaks bad about you.

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This yeye Oba travels more than a runs girl.

Ozuo King.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by hurrycayne: 7:38pm On May 12, 2018
My own is when will Edos have a central language? The dialects are too diverse stretching from Edo to Delta, Kogi and Ondo. Na because say we no get central language we dey appear small for these pipu eye.

Can someone open a thread where we can learn simple Edo (Bini) sentences? I go like learn.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Obalufon: 7:47pm On May 12, 2018
hurrycayne:
I taya for oba o. E no dey sidan one place again. Laho, make una help me talk to am o

you people are half baked you've never undergone proper process of transformation to a better human being full of chaos that's why you were named land of anger by oromiyan. i can understand why you will be insulting the stool of of oduduwa or ekaladeihan , izoduwa what ever you called it in Benin ..i dare not insult insult oba benin ...Don't drag the obas into this ..

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Obalufon: 8:17pm On May 12, 2018
yoruba speaking people stretch from Nigeria to Togo ..excluding the sub group fon egu and abomey and Ewe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Obalufon: 8:18pm On May 12, 2018
oldest Yoruba kingdom in west africa

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 10:37pm On May 12, 2018
Moorish:

Do you agree that your mothers are prostitutes in Italy today?

Do you agree that Ife birthed your kingship?

Do you agree that Yoruba was the language of Benin kingdom until Ewuare stopped it?

If you guys are telling the truth why is it that all the writings on the Yoruba pantheon of gods (ogun, oya, oshun, sango etc) come from yorubas?

Were are your writings about these gods?

Why did Ifa divination system come from yorubas?

Is it not obvious that you are an idiot?

Do you know that your own mother cheated on your useless father? Idiot child of a witch mother and armed robber father..

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 10:40pm On May 12, 2018
Moneywomen17:
nope. U have not provided any source whatsoever to buttress it.

Moneywoman, here is more account of Great Benin exploits in Yorubalands. Copied from the scholarly work and research of a honest Yoruba guy.

"Eastern Yorubaland felt the impact of its powerful eastern neighbor, Benin. When Benin invaded Ekiti between 1818-1823, the aim was to quell provincial revolt and regain control over the region’s economy. Indeed by reasserting control over the trade routes, which linked it with Yorubaland, Benin strengthened the position of its long distance traders, the Ekhengbo (from Ekhen Egbo) (ekhen, traders; egbo, forest). Akure and Benin traditions agree that the invasion of Akure was precipitated by
a commercial dispute following an attack on a Benin tobacco trader, Ogonto, who was accused of violating an Akure law. Even though the information is scanty, it is possible to situate the Benin invasion at this time and the economic dispute at its root, within the context of the rise in the supply of slaves by the wars in Yorubaland and Hausaland. Benin traders would have desired to tap into the northern Yoruba slave fields as well as send foreign goods into the interior. They would have also wanted alternative markets, even if temporary, to counterbalance the disruptive effect of the Nupe political crisis on Benin’s trade with the Niger. Consequently, Benin soldiers, under Ologbosere Imaran and Ezemo Erebo, carried out punitive expeditions, which left so much destruction that the fear of Benin lingered on till the early years of colonial occupation. Several Ekiti, Akoko and Owo towns were sacked and in them were created Benin colonies under the Balekale (consuls).
With the victory, Benin reasserted its control over trade in Ekiti, Owo and Akoko, and Benin enclaves in Owo, Akure, Ikere and Ado-Ekiti became the nexus of trade between Benin and Yorubaland. Both Akure and Idanre traditions agree that owing to Benin commercial activities, a nineteenth century ruler, Deji Gbogi and an influential woman, Olokoju both of Akure founded Alade village/market (near Idanre) as a meeting point for Ekiti, Idanre, Ondo, Owo, Ijebu, Benin and Ijesa traders. Imported items such as guns, salt and metal implements from Benin were sold as far as Ilesa, Ekiti and Ilorin. This earned the Ekhengbo the distinction of being called the “first long-distance traders in Ekiti.” Although the Akure king’s list seems to put Igbogi in an earlier century, the reference to the importation of guns would put his reign in the mid-nineteenth century. Most significant was that commercial metal products point to the position of Akure as a regional market. As we shall show in chapter four, Benin traders undermined direct commercial contacts between Ekiti and Ondo for a greater part of the century.

Immigrants into Ekiti also included traders, soldiers, administrators and their dependants from Benin. These colonists set up farm in the forest straddling the Akure-Idanre border and occupied what is now called the Ọgbọn Ado (Edo quarter) of Ado-Ekiti. Similarly slaves captured by the Benin from some Ado villages and some refugees were settled at Ikere where they established Ogotun, Afao, Are, Iluomoba and Agbado quarters, all named after their previous towns."

Truth is Benin owned and still has claims to Eastern Yoruba. It is Benin territory.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 11:10pm On May 12, 2018
Moneywomen17:
Alright am done with this thread no more comment from me but it has been fun my Benin friends. Oodua a gbe gbogbo omo yoruba ooo

"a section of Ekiti historians like Atolagbe who adduced to the pre-eminence of Oore as the most senior Yoruba and Ekiti Oba was linked to the fact that Oore signed the 1886 peace treaty which the British coordinated with Alaafin of Oyo and the Oowa Obokun amongst others. The Oba of Benin was also made to enter into treaty with the Alaafin of Oyo. Under this treaty, the Oba of Benin would have Ekiti, Ondo, Edo and other parts of his traditional areas of influence as part of Benin zone of influence, and it would be free of Oyo territorial incursions, while the Alaafin of Oyo would have the Western and Northern Yoruba territories"
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 12:46am On May 13, 2018
davidnazee:

Do you know that your own mother cheated on your useless father? Idiot child of a witch mother and armed robber father..
The guy vex oh!

I posted facts. Is that your reply? grin grin grin
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 1:05am On May 13, 2018
I want this debate to end

Now

Benin is conquered territory

So is yoruba land

No matter how much we glorify our nations

We fell to another greater nation, Britain

I want a Yoruba country.

The south south do not like us.

The igbos don’t either

But all three of us are being controlled and ruled by the north

It is unwise for us to keep fighting

It only benefits our collective oppressor

I was respectful towards Benin

But you people kept dishonouring my heritage

I will say this

Nigeria is doomed

I want out

So I call for a cease fire between southern tribes

I think enemies can unite to fight a collective enemy who is a.nalfucking them both

It’s over
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 1:09am On May 13, 2018
davidnazee:

"a section of Ekiti historians like Atolagbe who adduced to the pre-eminence of Oore as the most senior Yoruba and Ekiti Oba was linked to the fact that Oore signed the 1886 peace treaty which the British coordinated with Alaafin of Oyo and the Oowa Obokun amongst others. The Oba of Benin was also made to enter into treaty with the Alaafin of Oyo. Under this treaty, the Oba of Benin would have Ekiti, Ondo, Edo and other parts of his traditional areas of influence as part of Benin zone of influence, and it would be free of Oyo territorial incursions, while the Alaafin of Oyo would have the Western and Northern Yoruba territories"
The war of words is over from me

Let us be guided

This tribal war between southern tribes does not yield any benefit

Our fragmentation continues to benefit our collective oppressor
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Obalufon: 11:48am On May 13, 2018
davidnazee:

Moneywoman, here is more account of Great Benin exploits in Yorubalands. Copied from the scholarly work and research of a honest Yoruba guy.

"Eastern Yorubaland felt the impact of its powerful eastern neighbor, Benin. When Benin invaded Ekiti between 1818-1823, the aim was to quell provincial revolt and regain control over the region’s economy. Indeed by reasserting control over the trade routes, which linked it with Yorubaland, Benin strengthened the position of its long distance traders, the Ekhengbo (from Ekhen Egbo) (ekhen, traders; egbo, forest). Akure and Benin traditions agree that the invasion of Akure was precipitated by
a commercial dispute following an attack on a Benin tobacco trader, Ogonto, who was accused of violating an Akure law. Even though the information is scanty, it is possible to situate the Benin invasion at this time and the economic dispute at its root, within the context of the rise in the supply of slaves by the wars in Yorubaland and Hausaland. Benin traders would have desired to tap into the northern Yoruba slave fields as well as send foreign goods into the interior. They would have also wanted alternative markets, even if temporary, to counterbalance the disruptive effect of the Nupe political crisis on Benin’s trade with the Niger. Consequently, Benin soldiers, under Ologbosere Imaran and Ezemo Erebo, carried out punitive expeditions, which left so much destruction that the fear of Benin lingered on till the early years of colonial occupation. Several Ekiti, Akoko and Owo towns were sacked and in them were created Benin colonies under the Balekale (consuls).
With the victory, Benin reasserted its control over trade in Ekiti, Owo and Akoko, and Benin enclaves in Owo, Akure, Ikere and Ado-Ekiti became the nexus of trade between Benin and Yorubaland. Both Akure and Idanre traditions agree that owing to Benin commercial activities, a nineteenth century ruler, Deji Gbogi and an influential woman, Olokoju both of Akure founded Alade village/market (near Idanre) as a meeting point for Ekiti, Idanre, Ondo, Owo, Ijebu, Benin and Ijesa traders. Imported items such as guns, salt and metal implements from Benin were sold as far as Ilesa, Ekiti and Ilorin. This earned the Ekhengbo the distinction of being called the “first long-distance traders in Ekiti.” Although the Akure king’s list seems to put Igbogi in an earlier century, the reference to the importation of guns would put his reign in the mid-nineteenth century. Most significant was that commercial metal products point to the position of Akure as a regional market. As we shall show in chapter four, Benin traders undermined direct commercial contacts between Ekiti and Ondo for a greater part of the century.

Immigrants into Ekiti also included traders, soldiers, administrators and their dependants from Benin. These colonists set up farm in the forest straddling the Akure-Idanre border and occupied what is now called the Ọgbọn Ado (Edo quarter) of Ado-Ekiti. Similarly slaves captured by the Benin from some Ado villages and some refugees were settled at Ikere where they established Ogotun, Afao, Are, Iluomoba and Agbado quarters, all named after their previous towns."

Truth is Benin owned and still has claims to Eastern Yoruba. It is Benin territory.

Benin greatness is motivated by link with Yoruba nothing more ..your rule over some part of ondo and ekiti is not by war but monarchical superiority

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Obalufon: 11:49am On May 13, 2018
Benin greatness is motivated by link with Yoruba nothing more ..your rule over some part of ondo and ekiti is not by war but monarchical superiority

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by hurrycayne: 12:04pm On May 13, 2018
Í will never deliberately insult the Oba. Uku akpolokpolo n'ogidigan. Oba of obas.

[quote author=Obalufon post=67506588][/quote]
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by EdoNation(f): 2:34am On May 14, 2018
Yoruba's have no pride or sense of self worth , such a pity..... Tufia!!
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 5:41am On May 14, 2018
EdoNation:
Madam, you too join?

You go wound oh?

Na man dey fight war
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by EdoNation(f): 7:17am On May 14, 2018
Moorish:

Madam, you too join?

You go wound oh?

Na man dey fight war

Pls shutup your mouth , of all the Yoruba's on this thread you are even the most uneducated one !! This is the last and only reply you will get from me, u are not worth my time
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Obalufon: 7:20am On May 14, 2018
EdoNation:

For your dream... you know the truth behind your shallow mind..Yoruba for your mouth filthy mouth ..we are more celebrated people within and without na jealousy go kill you na ..we are unique people. this country will soon be divided i wonder where you na go fall to, i guess the east you people will have the chips on your shoulders removed
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 1:01pm On May 14, 2018
davidnazee:

Show others and I the treaty signed between Oyo Empire and Bini Kingdom that you so claimed? cheesy grin
Your imagination is beyond redemption . And your lies are unequalled. grin
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by BabaRamota1980: 7:51pm On May 14, 2018
davidnazee:

Binin have always been wary of Owo. In fact when a Bini chief becomes ambitious the Oba will dispatch him on war against Owo. Its a predictable end, a new person is installed to replace the dead chief.

This fable about controlling Eastern Yorubaland is another of the many self-grandized stories concocted and handed down by your forefathers. Its a hoax!

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by BabaRamota1980: 8:02pm On May 14, 2018
Go read this journal, page 13.

These are books written by your own folks. Your hoax is contradicted by their scholarship work. We have not yet introduced Yoruba scholars or European scholars into the mix. Can you imagineiyour embarassment if we open the floodgate here?
We will reserve them....the works of your own scholars are suffice for now to support our position against yours.

2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by BabaRamota1980: 8:16pm On May 14, 2018
We can also see how the Oba craftly diminished powers under the control of Edo chiefs. He did in Udo, he did in Uselu.

Edos worship a foreign monarchy that brought Obaship to them and also rebranded society from Iso or Edo to Ile Ibini. We have never heard of an Edo kingdom. What we know is Bini kingdom.

Moreover, your elders knew this would be a very difficult pill to swallow, so they made it acceptable....instead of water to swallow the pill, they gave you glass of koolaid. Till today the sweetness of that koolaid lingers on your tongue, you worry less about the pill.

It doesn't matter that Oranmiyan is a Yoruba, nor does it matter that his dynasty is Yoruba, or that he rebranded society and gave you a Yoruba identity, Ile Ibinu.....all the sweetness of the Ekaladheran story is enough to quell the bitterness of conquest by Yoruba.

grin grin
We are your father any day! Your 3rd dynasty is loading....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 8:37pm On May 14, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
We can also see how the Oba craftly diminished powers under the control of Edo chiefs. He did in Udo, he did in Uselu.

Edos worship a foreign monarchy that brought Obaship to them and also rebranded society from Iso or Edo to Ile Ibini. We have never heard of an Edo kingdom. What we know is Bini kingdom.

Moreover, your elders knew this would be a very difficult pill to swallow, so they made it acceptable....instead of water to swallow the pill, they gave you glass of koolaid. Till today the sweetness of that koolaid lingers on your tongue, you worry less about the pill.

It doesn't matter that Oranmiyan is a Yoruba, nor does it matter that his dynasty is Yoruba, or that he rebranded society and gave you a Yoruba identity, Ile Ibinu.....all the sweetness of the Ekaladheran story is enough to quell the bitterness of conquest by Yoruba.

grin grin
We are your father any day! Your 3rd dynasty is loading....

Of all the Yorubas arguing aimlessly on this forum you are the dumbest of all. Marcof, moorish and moneywoman try pass you. Nobody bothered to comment on ur post about the 3rd dynasty not even ur Yoruba brothers becos that is foolishness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by BabaRamota1980: 8:49pm On May 14, 2018
davidnazee:

Of all the Yorubas arguing aimlessly on this forum you are the dumbest of all. Marcof, moorish and moneywoman try pass you. Nobody bothered to comment on ur post about the 3rd dynasty not even ur Yoruba brothers becos that is foolishness.

When my opponent is easily disgusted by my posting, its a sign Im hitting home and have successfully cornered him into a distressed position from where he has to struggle to keep from drowning.

Stop throwing tantrums and cheap insults.

Answer my statements.

I say Yoruba is your father any day!

We can explain the foreign title, name and bloodline of your monarchy. You cannot!

Omo Oba is not Edo word
Ile Ibinu is not Edo word
Oranminyan is not Edo name

There is no Edo kingdom
There is no Oba or Omo Oba anywhere else in Edoland.

Yoruba is your father! We will bring a 3rd dynasty to rule you if your obstinacy does not stop.

We will separate Biniland and throw Edo people under Itsekiri or Ijaw.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 9:50pm On May 14, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

When my opponent is easily disgusted by my posting, its a sign Im hitting home and have successfully cornered him into a distressed position from where he has to struggle to keep from drowning.

Stop throwing tantrums and cheap insults.

Answer my statements.

I say Yoruba is your father any day!

We can explain the foreign title, name and bloodline of your monarchy. You cannot!

Omo Oba is not Edo word
Ile Ibinu is not Edo word
Oranminyan is not Edo name

There is no Edo kingdom
There is no Oba or Omo Oba anywhere else in Edoland.

Yoruba is your father! We will bring a 3rd dynasty to rule you if your obstinacy does not stop.

We will separate Biniland and throw Edo people under Itsekiri or Ijaw.

Lol. Your foolishness has no equal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 10:16pm On May 14, 2018
I wish the Oba would just give the order to bring the BENIN army back into the map, we would just go and conquer these Y.A.R.R.I.B.A again !!!
It wouldn't even be that difficult.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 10:16pm On May 14, 2018
I wish the Oba would just give the order to bring the BENIN army back into the map, we would just go and conquer these Y.A.R.R.I.B.A once again !!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 10:40pm On May 14, 2018
prolog2:
I wish the Oba would just give the order to bring the BENIN army back into the map, we would just go and conquer these Y.A.R.R.I.B.A once again !!!

Yorubas will run when they hear the Benin war drums.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (123) (Reply)

The "REAL" Hausa / Owe Ile Yoruba -some Lovely Yoruba Proverbs And Their Meanings. / Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.