Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,892 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Child Marriage: Naptip Quizzes Sani Yarima - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Marriage: Naptip Quizzes Sani Yarima (1783 Views)

My Reply To Sen. Ahmad Yarima On Under Age Marriage / 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) / A Senator (yarima)of The Federal Republic Is Married 13 Years Girl, What A Shame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Marriage: Naptip Quizzes Sani Yarima by rasputinn(m): 7:01am On May 19, 2010
Child marriage: NAPTIP quizzes Sani Yarima

The National Agency for Prohibition of Traffic in Persons and Other-Related Matters on Tuesday interrogated Senator Ahmed Sani on his marriage to an Egyptian minor.

The agency had earlier summoned Sani to appear before it to answer questions on his involvement in the marriage allegedly in contravention of the Child Rights Act.

The former Zamfara State Governor arrived in the Wuse Zone 5 headquarters of the NAPTIP at about 9.45am in a black Toyota Aurion Grande, wearing white babariga with a red cap to match. He was accompanied by some of his aides and supporters.

He was said to have faced NAPTIP interrogators for over three hours, responding to questions relating to the marriage of the minor, reported to be 13 years.

Sani was, however, granted bail on personal recognition after he made a statement in writing, and subsequently signed an undertaken to report back to the agency on June 17, 2010.

It was, however, gathered that during the interrogation, the former governor, told the NAPTIP officials that age was not a consideration for a marriage under Islamic law.

He was said to have been reminded that he contracted the marriage in Abuja where the Child Right Act was in force.

A source close to the agency said that the former governor, in his response, alluded to the constitution, arguing that it guaranteed the freedom of religion and that Islam permitted him to marry the girl.

He was said to have also declined to tell the real age of the girl in spite of pressure on him to do so, since he had repeatedly denied that she was not 13.

The former governor, who is a member of the Senate, also denied seeing the international travelling documents of the girl to ascertain her age.

The source added that when asked why he did not conduct the marriage in Egypt, Sani replied that he did it in Nigeria for the convenience of his family members and his friends.

According to the source, the senator added that it was untrue that he was trying to avoid Egyptian laws.

Speaking to journalists shortly after his release, Sani said he was not worried at the turn of events because he had not broken any known law in Islam.

He maintained that Section 38 of the 1999 Constitution guaranteed the freedom of religion to all Nigerians.

Sani said, “The Child Right Act they are talking about was brought to me in Zamfara as a governor; my people rejected it so also other states in the North. It was rejected by the Zamfara State House of Assembly because it is against the Islamic religion.”

The Executive Secretary of NAPTIP, Mr. Simon Egede, said the agency invited the senator following a series of petitions against his marriage to the teenager.

He disclosed that the agency was on top of the investigation and that it had established that Egyptian law forbids marriage to an under age.

Egede said the investigation into the matter was neither politically-motivated nor influenced by religion.

He said, “It is purely within our mandate having received petitions from so many interest groups.

“We are in touch with the Egyptian authorities, we know it is illegal in Egypt and we do not need to get to Egypt before we get the age of the girl. Within the federal capital, there is a law against marriage to a minor and the law is no respecter of any person.”

According to him, the agency would soon conclude its investigations on the matter and all Nigerians would know what really the issues are.

On why the senator was not detained, the Executive Secretary said it was because he willingly turned himself in to the agency.

Meanwhile, the National Human Rights Commission has commended NAPTIP for interrogating the former governor over his marriage to the Egyptian minor.

The commission, in a statement by its Executive Secretary, Mr. Roland Ewubare, on Tuesday, said NAPTIP’s action demonstrated that impunity had no place under the current dispensation in the country.

The NHRC also commended President Goodluck Jonathan and the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Adoke, for their efforts at entrenching a culture of respect for the laws of the nation.

Ewubare said, “The NHRC also commends the exceptional courage and initiative of the Executive Secretary of NATIP, Mr. Egede, for trying to bring Senator Sani to book. The NHRC fully identifies with NAPTIP in this regard and is prepared to partner and collaborate actively with the agency in addressing the human rights issues raised by the actions of the senator.”

[img][/img]

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201005193101723

Re: Child Marriage: Naptip Quizzes Sani Yarima by rasputinn(m): 7:06am On May 19, 2010
rasputinn:

Speaking to journalists shortly after his release, Sani said he was not worried at the turn of events because he had not broken any known law in Islam.

Sani said, “The Child Right Act they are talking about was brought to me in Zamfara as a governor; my people rejected it so also other states in the North. It was rejected by the Zamfara State House of Assembly because it is against the Islamic religion.”

The Executive Secretary of NAPTIP, Mr. Simon Egede, said the agency invited the senator following a series of petitions against his marriage to the teenager.

He disclosed that the agency was on top of the investigation and that it had established that Egyptian law forbids marriage to an under age.

Per the highlighted portion,this Yerima needs to have his head examined,he's truly pathetic and a disgrace to his religion
Re: Child Marriage: Naptip Quizzes Sani Yarima by scoleM: 4:01pm On May 19, 2010
Le ma nyan: see senators (some) that children (girls) smaller than dis Yarima girl ;oh wife: jump from their Jeeps about at nite clubs and amusement parks are calling Yarima names. We all know Yarima to be religious and by this injunction if it is correct, so be it. He did it open for people to see his interest instead of running and walloping under the thighs of these "smallies". I don't subscribe to THE POT CALLING KETTLE BLACK cos theirs have not being exposed.
Re: Child Marriage: Naptip Quizzes Sani Yarima by princekevo(m): 6:26pm On May 19, 2010

He maintained that Section 38 of the 1999 Constitution guaranteed the freedom of religion to all Nigerians.

This Animal really need to see a psychiatrist. I cant imagine that some one who made the above comment is being paid by a dime that belongs to me. So becoz constitution gave freedom of religion means we can equally go against the constitution in respect of our religious law. I wouldn't doubt it that some day a cow will be elected in the senate to represent others.
Re: Child Marriage: Naptip Quizzes Sani Yarima by wizb: 8:10pm On May 19, 2010
rasputinn:

Child marriage: NAPTIP quizzes Sani Yarima
[img][/img]

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201005193101723

Huh! So much for freedom of religion!
Re: Child Marriage: Naptip Quizzes Sani Yarima by rasputinn(m): 11:11pm On May 19, 2010
princekevo:

This Animal really need to see a psychiatrist. I cant imagine that some one who made the above comment is being paid by a dime that belongs to me. So becoz constitution gave freedom of religion means we can equally go against the constitution in respect of our religious law. I wouldn't doubt it that some day a cow will be elected in the senate to represent others.

After all a goat(Yerima) is already in the senate

(1) (Reply)

What Should She Do In This Marriage / 6year Old Boy, Burnt And Stab By HIS Mother For Stealing Soup! / Agony Of A Faithfull Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.