Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? (23549 Views)

LOL!! Which Figure Of Speech Is This ? – Only Sharp Guys Will Get It / What Figure Of Speech Is This? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by lonikit: 10:52am On May 02, 2018
Pls nairalanders, wht are the main differences BTW idiomatic expression and figure of speech.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 11:01am On May 02, 2018
I'd like to know too. I know Google is my friends but let's do it here for all.

..it shouldn't always be about celebs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by lonikit: 11:45am On May 02, 2018
PurplePatch:
I'd like to know too. I know Google is my friends but let's do it here for all.

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Mukina2
Front page please..it shouldn't always be about celebs.
I hav used google but didnt get a satisfactory answer
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 02, 2018
Here to learn... where are the Shakespeares and achebes?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by chloedogie(m): 1:07pm On May 02, 2018
Things like this should make front page.

Back to the topic, in the simplest way, idioms do not make sense while figure of speech would make sense. For example is I say ''jump the gun'', it doesn't make any sense as it sounds opaque but it means your are too forward. Figure of speech on its own could be poetic. It can either be metaphor or simile or hyperbole etc. Example could be you going out and someone called you to say ''better take a jacket; it's raining cats and dogs out there''.

Note: I read engineering years back but I hope the linguists could do better justice to this. I like this topic very educational and shames one man that said the youths are lazy. Now we brainstorming as usual.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by datola: 1:07pm On May 02, 2018
Hmmm
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Checked86: 1:07pm On May 02, 2018
They are not even related or near

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Pabloosas(m): 1:07pm On May 02, 2018
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Jaymaestro(m): 1:08pm On May 02, 2018
I thought it should be the difference between Metaphor and Idiom?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by fixedhollies(m): 1:08pm On May 02, 2018
Lots of differences!

Figures of speech are open ended... Depending on ur use of language. Idioms are norms, there is what acceptable. You can't construct it the way you like.

Figures of speech include irony, simile, personification etc... Idioms on d other hand are technical in nature, if u know d meaning u do, if not no idea... But figures of speech are literary I.e a feature of literature

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by MorataFC: 1:10pm On May 02, 2018
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by buoye1(m): 1:10pm On May 02, 2018
Checked86:
They are not even related or near
ok.. Now tell us their differences please

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Checked86: 1:10pm On May 02, 2018
quote author=buoye1 post=67212735]ok.. Now tell us their differences please [/quote Figures of spech are expressions used to CLARIFY subjects, objects, idea or whatever While Idiom is by itself a meaning. Idiom is used to transfer wisdom. What you have in the book of Psalms are mostly idioms not figures of speech. When you say, "she is as black as charcoal ", you have just used figures of speech but definitely not Idiom. Idiomatic expressions are deeper in meaning than figurea of speech. This is just my random thought. i am somehow too busy to go into details but will definitely do if no one could do justice to that before night falls

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by sureteeboy(m): 1:11pm On May 02, 2018
Lots of comments, and yet no single response so far
An idiomatic expression is any kind of phrase whose meaning differs from the literal meaning of the words that make it up. e.g, to let the cat out of the bag would have literally meant "releasing a cat from a bag" as the phrase suggests, but since it's not used in such context, it is tagged an idiom.
A Figure of speech is just like an idiom as well, however, their non literal meanings are quite easier to decipher than idioms

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by maticdamian(m): 1:11pm On May 02, 2018
Art students grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by ajoyeleke(m): 1:11pm On May 02, 2018
I know it but I will not tell you grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by KehnnyCares(m): 1:12pm On May 02, 2018
NwamAikpe will never use his head on a thread like this when he's needed most undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by kuljayms1(m): 1:13pm On May 02, 2018
Awon olodo gbogbo....
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by SaAbbas(m): 1:13pm On May 02, 2018
Not everything I can remember 2002 downward
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Bustincole(m): 1:14pm On May 02, 2018
Check the meaning on my signature
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 02, 2018
I really do not know how to explain but there is a clear difference between the two.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 02, 2018
Let me give it to Chisom lesson teacher as home work.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 02, 2018
Ok, I'd like to know too,
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Hillarie(m): 1:17pm On May 02, 2018
Lemme try..

An idiom is an expression peculiar to or characteristic of a particular language, especially when the meaning is illogical or separate from the meanings of its component words.
Idioms are more like an allusion to an event or person in history.. Most times, idioms are what you find in Allusion which is an example of figures of speech.
They language-specific and that's why most idioms in circulation draw influences from the Greek and Latin languages..

Figures of speech, on the other hand, are words or phrases used to express meanings other than their literal meaning.
I'm just brainstorming though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by sureteeboy(m): 1:19pm On May 02, 2018
Hillarie:
Lemme try..

An idiom is an expression peculiar to or characteristic of a particular language, especially when the meaning is illogical or separate from the meanings of its component words.
Idioms are more like an allusion to an event or person in history.. Most times, idioms are what you find in Allusion which is an example of figures of speech.
They language-specific and that's why most idioms in circulation draw influences from the Greek and Latin languages..

Figures of speech, on the other hand, are words or phrases used to express meanings other than their literal meaning.
I'm just brainstorming though

Hmm... Brainstorming? Yet your explanation was lifted off the English dictionary verbatim. grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Elnino4ladies: 1:19pm On May 02, 2018
I'm a science student

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by maestroferddi: 1:20pm On May 02, 2018
By way of helping, an idiom is among the figures of speech.

Go figure...

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Kenmatt(m): 1:25pm On May 02, 2018
Figure of speech is a grammatical style you can use to high light your sentence either by comparison or simply identification. As in metaphor and simile.

while Idiomatic expression has much deep meaning that has nothing to do with the simple comprehension of the sentence as it is conveyed on the sentence. Thus; you do not have to understand it literally as it looks or sounds
Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by BabaIbo: 1:27pm On May 02, 2018
Idioms

An idiom is an expression that conveys something different from its literal meaning, and that cannot be guessed from the meanings of its individual words. “Between a rock and a hard place” is an idiom that means “in a difficult or bad position with no good way of getting out of it.” What makes an idiom different from a figure of speech is that its nonliteral meaning is already familiar to speakers of the language.
While,
Figures of speech

A figure of speech is a phrase or an expression that expresses an idea by using words in a nonliteral and imaginative way. Unlike an idiom, it is possible to understand a figure of speech even if you have never heard it before. Metaphors and similes are figures of speech.

What makes an idiom different from a figure of speech is that its nonliteral meaning is already familiar to speakers of the language.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? by Phems(m): 1:29pm On May 02, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jeffrey Lebari-Lube Nwidobie Wins 5 Awards At Tarleton State University / Nigerians On Jonathan Govt Scholarship Abandoned Abroad, Resort To Menial Jobs / Zahrah Ibrahim Wins Best Paper Award At The University Of Aberdeen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.