Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,813 members, 7,956,073 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:14 AM

Why You Should Be On Linkedin - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why You Should Be On Linkedin (589 Views)

Why You Need To Be On Linkedin / Is It Okay To Post Engagement Pictures On LinkedIn? / Someone Help!! Please How Do I Change My Country To Nigeria On Linkedin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Be On Linkedin by kozamsi(f): 12:38pm On May 04, 2018
If you are reading this, there is a probability that you are either already on LinkedIn but not sure what happens there or you have just been hearing so much about LinkedIn but not interested in having an account because you feel like you shouldn’t be on all social media platforms. If you are in any of these categories, please spare me about 7 minutes of your time to read this post to the end and find out why it is an offence not to be on LinkedIn. While it is true that being on every social media platforms is not viable but being on LinkedIn is very compulsory. Yes, I use the word compulsory, because LinkedIn has become an essential personal branding tool for any individual.

LinkedIn is a professional social media platform founded in 2002 and officially launched on the 5th of May 2003. The site was specifically designed for business communication and professional networking. Since its launch in 2003, LinkedIn currently has over 300 million members from over 200 countries and representing about 170 industries. The objective of this site is to allow registered members to network with professionals from all works of life. The interesting thing about LinkedIn is the fact that you don’t necessarily have to be a career person to find this space relevant. You’d find all kinds of professionals here who are eagerly ready to connect and relate to like minds. One of my lecturers used to say that LinkedIn is one place where you have the opportunity to talk to any CEO in the world and it is important that you make good use of this opportunity.

With this brief introduction, I bring to you my top 5 reasons,
Google Optimised

If you have an account on LinkedIn and your name is googled, your LinkedIn profile will be the first to pop-up in the search result. Knowing that LinkedIn is google optimised is one reason why you should be eager about joining this cool platform. It is important that you maximise this opportunity that LinkedIn is offering that allows you to control what people discover you, your strength and your weakness. You don’t want a potential client or recruiter googling your name and having no result to go to because you have either used a nickname on other social media platforms or the result the person found is you in a swimsuit and partying with your guys.

Recruiters and Investors are on LinkedIn

Research has shown that about 94% of recruiters use LinkedIn to find the right candidate for a vacant position in their organisation. They would rather interview someone that they are conversant with in terms of skills and delivery than someone they know nothing about except what is written in their curriculum vitae.You’d agree with me that Nigerian recruiters have some sort of standards that can’t be understood and being active on LinkedIn is one of the ways that you can warm their hearts to you before having the opportunity to meet them face to face. As much as having an account is important, just having an account is not what will make recruiters notice you, you have to optimise your profile and join industry-related conversations. (In my next post, I’d talk about how to get your LinkedIn profile ready and optimised)

It Builds Trust

No matter who you are; a freelancer, a small business owner, a career-oriented person or even a student, please note that your LinkedIn profile is your professional validator. It shows that you actually exist and not too good to be real. In the dispensation, that we are today, everyone is interested in running a background check on someone before doing business with an individual and LinkedIn has proven to be a credible source. LinkedIn gives you the opportunity to gradually build your personal brand and sell yourself to the right sets of people. Even a fashion designer or a chef can use LinkedIn to build a trusted and reputable brand. All that is needed is for you to constantly share tips that would position you as an expert in your chosen field.

https://kozdiaries./2018/04/26/why-you-should-be-on-linkedin-as-a-nigerian-youth/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Simple Ways You Can Improve Your Self-value / Would You Marry A Man Like Your Dad? Guys Would Marry A Woman Like Your Mother? / So Confused, Please Help Me Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.