Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,309 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS (22424 Views)

Cleric Presents Documents To EFCC To Charge Oshiomhole For Looting N42 Billion / Senators Call For President Buhari’s Impeachment Over $496m Tucano Aircraft / Ortom Presents Documents To Indict Presidency, Defence Minister, IGP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by bekpo(m): 9:25am On May 05, 2018
rusher14:

Tell your principals to impeach him if they dare.

Nonsense.

Useless law makers who does not know d law. They can't even read their constitution. Read section 82 of the 1999 constitution as amended.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by BedLam: 9:25am On May 05, 2018
BedLam:
The question is that why are these expensive?

Embraer of Brazil produces these Tucano super jets but why are we buying them from the US? Any explanation?
Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by Nobody: 9:25am On May 05, 2018
He has committed so many impeachable offences I don't know what they are waiting for, and. Their fear has made him rubbish them, the IGP,Ali have all peed on them,
Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by GavelSlam: 9:26am On May 05, 2018
The 2018 budget has been in their possession since November 2017.

Why not make that their priority?

6 Likes

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by authority2006(m): 9:26am On May 05, 2018
Firefire:

I wonder where his promised CHANGE is...

The dullard keep referring to the past stupidity of the condemned 16 years of PDP to justify his angelic government.

What a set of morons.

Even pig who didn't see the need for change is demanding to see change! Change from what exactly?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by BedLam: 9:27am On May 05, 2018
GavelSlam:

For 12 would be 349 million.

Different deal could include add-ons.
that’s more than 100million USD. The one afghan got has all the modifications...from 4th avionics to whatnot. So what’s the excuse here ?
Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by GavelSlam: 9:28am On May 05, 2018
BedLam:
that’s more than 100million USD. The one afghan got has all the modifications...from 4th avionics to whatnot. So what’s the excuse here ?

Including armoury, training, support?

Remember the Afghan consignment was bought by USA for the Afghan military.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by authority2006(m): 9:29am On May 05, 2018
BedLam:

Embraer of Brazil produces these Tucano super jets but why are we buying them from the US? Any explanation?

They are being produced in both countries but the need to equip them with all the necessary military gadgets made USA the better choice.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by smartolala(m): 9:30am On May 05, 2018
In my humble opinion,we dont have a country what we have is geographical location
any nation without strong institution is dommed because only strong men have way.
Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by authority2006(m): 9:31am On May 05, 2018
uyplus:
A $9m to $14m plane now costs Nigeria $41m

In Femi Adesina's voice, intellectually lazy youth spotted.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by ogmask: 9:31am On May 05, 2018
All this dust because nothing go under the table for them.
Very clear explanation by the presidency.
All the noise about expenditure not in the budget don hit sh.it for their face.
All the state govs already approved $1B for internal security so why the double faced attitude.You could tell the people trying to pull down this country all in the name of power. When section 81 was quoted to say the president can give anticipatory consent all the demons of democracy came out to say the the money was not appropriated for. My question to them is what is the document endorsed by the national executive council, which is befor the senate, for.
yeye everywhere

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by TonySpike: 9:32am On May 05, 2018
uyplus:

Can you buy military airplanes without ancillary gadgets like missiles, bullets and so on? Can you please google how much a missile cost?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by BigIyanga: 9:33am On May 05, 2018
BedLam:

I have always wondered the same, but Embraer has a JV with a US military contractor making those planes.
A Brazilian version could have been a lot cheaper given that it starts from $10m
Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by BedLam: 9:34am On May 05, 2018
GavelSlam:

Including armoury, training, support?

Remember the Afghan consignment was bought by USA for the Afghan military.
And lead parts as well.
So what’s the excuse as to why these ones cost more ?
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/latest-afghan-super-tucanos-cost-1745-million-442786/
Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by aribisala0(m): 9:34am On May 05, 2018
authority2006:
They should stop wasting their time and energy on this issue. The transaction is already completed, you can't succeed in getting it reversed and you can't succeed in getting Buhari impeached. Why not move on and debate on productive things? 2018 budget is with them since last year.

I will tell you why we don't just move on.

We need to settle the constitutional position so that there is no ambiguity in the future. If he can appropriate $500 million why not $10 billion ??

The president has acted unconstitutionally and that must be acknowledged . He spent money unlawfully and unless we are saying this should continue that must be established.

Even if he is not impeached then when he leaves office he can be jailed .He too can get a taste of what he is doing to Dasuki and Patience Jonathan

I would be happy if the National Assembly move on by Not touching the matter at all.

When he l
jimihendrix:
Sometimes I sit and wonder how some Nigerians really think that Buhari is the worst thing that happened to Nigeria. Let me tell you, these senators collect millions a month for doing nothing. I'll point our some of the ignorant rants.
1. Northerners are dying and idp camps are receiving less aid that'll before. Yet they failed to call all the AIGs and DIGs to the floor.
2. Over 150,000 of the 350,000 policemen work for vips, yet the IG was not summoned.
.3. Dino was arrested for conspiracy to commit murder amongst other offences, the IG is immediately summoned.
4. The 2018 budget has been with the assembly since last year. Yet, they are worried about stupid issues like reordering of elections.
I'm sure you can think of more.

Left to me, I think the national assembly is a waste of resources. We either remove the senate or the reps. It's too expensive to run.

I know some people cannot understand what is happening to Nigeria under this administration, but I can assure you that, Nigeria's money is not been misappropriated and everthing Buhari is doing is for the good of the country and its people.

People seem to forget that, Jonathan took out 21 bill N dollars to fight biko haram only to use it to pay people to be elected. 2.1 billon dollars my people. Imagine he took 1.5 billion to buy the jets and stole the remaining 600 billion. By now we would already have 36 fighter jets, and with the one buhari is ordering it comes to 48 jets. Tell me, how will book haram hide in sambisa again. We go bomb them to hell fire.

Anyway, I know a lot of you are not satisfied but try to look at things and reason critically whether buhari is really the cause of this nations woes.
Under the last administration, someone had 34 million dollars in his apartment. And another had 11million dollars in kaduna. the presidents wife had 5million dollars, which she claimed to be medical expenses.

Please, let us give buhari another 4 years and send this pdp thieves into oblivion and irrelevance and also make sure their children never get a political appointment again.

After buhari, we would hand over to the youths.

eaves office he w
jimihendrix:
Sometimes I sit and wonder how some Nigerians really think that Buhari is the worst thing that happened to Nigeria. Let me tell you, these senators collect millions a month for doing nothing. I'll point our some of the ignorant rants.
1. Northerners are dying and idp camps are receiving less aid that'll before. Yet they failed to call all the AIGs and DIGs to the floor.
2. Over 150,000 of the 350,000 policemen work for vips, yet the IG was not summoned.
.3. Dino was arrested for conspiracy to commit murder amongst other offences, the IG is immediately summoned.
4. The 2018 budget has been with the assembly since last year. Yet, they are worried about stupid issues like reordering of elections.

Left to me, I think the national assembly is a waste of resources. We either remove the senate or the reps. It's too expensive to run.

I know some people cannot understand what is happening to Nigeria under this administration, but I can assure you that, Nigeria's money is not been misappropriated and everthing Buhari is doing is for the good of the country and its people.

People seem to forget that, Jonathan took out 21 bill N dollars to fight biko haram only to use it to pay people to be elected. 2.1 billon dollars my people. Imagine he took 1.5 billion to buy the jets and stole the remaining 600 billion. By now we would already have 36 fighter jets, and with the one buhari is ordering it comes to 48 jets. Tell me, how will book haram hide in sambisa again. We go bomb them to hell fire.

Anyway, I know a lot of you are not satisfied but try to look at things and reason critically whether buhari is really the cause of this nations woes.
Under the last administration, someone had 34 million dollars in his apartment. And another had 11million dollars in kaduna. the presidents wife had 5million dollars, which she claimed to be medical expenses.

Please, let us give buhari another 4 years and send this pdp thieves into oblivion and irrelevance and also make sure their children never get a political appointment again.

ill still face th
jimihendrix:

e music. Immunity
jimihendrix:

lasts while you ar
jimihendrix:

e in office and
jimihendrix:

when you leave you can still be held accountable
The fact is there is no excuse fo not consultiing the National Assembly other than that he decided he was going to act regardless.
If there was a deadline so what? Why not consult them? No more phone? No more dinner? All those dinners he was organizing for them was for what?

3 Likes

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by rusher14: 9:37am On May 05, 2018
aribisala0:

We need to settle the constitutional position so that there is no ambiguty in the futue.

The president has acted unconstitutionally and that must be acknowledged . He spent money unlawfully and unless we are saying this should continue that must be established.

Even if he is not impeached then when he leaves office he can be jailed .He too can get a taste of what he is doing to Dasuki.

I would be happy if the National Assembly move on by Not touching the matter at all.

When he eaves office he will still face the music. Immunity lasts while you are in office and when you leave you can still be held accountable

Please remember this in 2023.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by Beedude(m): 9:38am On May 05, 2018
martineverest:
transparency is the word

senators are bittered cos they weren't settled by the incorruptible buhari
Thats The Gist. Anyone Who Think The Senators Are Doing This For The Masses Is Naive. So Many Things In The Constitution Which The Govt Must Do For The Masses Are Abandoned And No Senator Is Talking Since They Arent Affected. It Is Now They Are Talking Cos Tips No Enter Their Chamber. Na God Go Purnish All Naija Politician Either Apc Or Pdp

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by BedLam: 9:39am On May 05, 2018
BigIyanga:

I have always wondered the same, but Embraer has a JV with a US military contractor making those planes.
A Brazilian version could have been a lot cheaper given that it starts from $10m
I just think our leaders lack negotiation skills...apparently they lack leadership qualities.
How can someone that’s spending their own money tell you the manufacturer puts a deadline on the delivery. If they do, then buy from others. It’s appalling.

1 Like

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by rusher14: 9:41am On May 05, 2018
BedLam:
I just think our leaders lack negotiation skills...apparently they lack leadership qualities.
How can someone that’s spending their own money tell you the manufacturer puts a deadline on the delivery. If they do, then buy from others. It’s appalling.

Because for over 5 years you couldn't get it even you offered twice the amount.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by CSTR1003: 9:41am On May 05, 2018
rusher14:

Tell your principals to impeach him if they dare.

Nonsense.
If you read through, you will see where the FG said they are doing everything to stave off any impeachment.

Which means they are scared because the National assembly can impeach him and heaven will not fall.
Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by BedLam: 9:42am On May 05, 2018
rusher14:

Because for over 5 years you could get it even you offered twice the amount.
what are you saying ?
Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by AnanseK(m): 9:43am On May 05, 2018
The National Assembly members are simply after a share of money from the transaction. Is it really necessary to maintain two legislative houses at federal level? The senate is full of corruption and has outlived its usefulness. Those old governors will never allow it to work for the benefit of The Nigerian masses.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by rusher14: 9:44am On May 05, 2018
CSTR1003:

If you read through, you will see where the FG said they are doing everything to stave off any impeachment.

Which means they are scared because the National assembly can impeach him and heaven will not fall.

They don't need to say "I dare you" but the N.A. is wasting precious time on something that would never fly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by ogmask: 9:44am On May 05, 2018
goaldynman:
Whether there was deadline or not is not a good enough excuse! Does it take ages to notify the National Assembly before the so called deadline?

The recent letter and excuse sent to the National Assembly is an afterthought, because the presidency have realized it's a good ground to impeach the Terrorist Presidiot!!

The National Assembly should impeach him now or for ever be regarded as "woman wrapper"! The deed have been done! It is tantamount to somebody committing a crime and subsequently giving cogent reasons to justify the crime!

And where are those shameless nairaland zombies and BMC that were giving lame reasons why the Terrorist Presidiot have the right to dip hand into the money to purchase the aircraft without the approval of the National Assembly?!!

Too mch insults in your post but, tht will not deter me from infrming you. The govt had already submitted a $1B security budget, of which this expenditure is part of, to the nationa assembly for approval.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by rusher14: 9:44am On May 05, 2018
BedLam:
what are you saying ?

Read slow if fast-paced reading is a problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by CSTR1003: 9:46am On May 05, 2018
BedLam:
There has to be a balance of trade.

And besides, you can't compare US fitted systems to its Brazilian alternative.

The difference in sophistication is high.

My problem is not with buying from America. I have issues with the jets bought.
We can get much better jets even from America.

I just hope those shiny American helicopter gunships are part of the negotiation.
Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by authority2006(m): 9:49am On May 05, 2018
aribisala0:

We need to settle the constitutional position so that there is no ambiguity in the future. If he can appropriate $500 million why not $10 billion ??

Even if he is not impeached then when he leaves office he can be jailed .He too can get a taste of what he is doing to Dasuki and Patience Jonathan

When he eaves office he will still face the music. Immunity lasts while you are in office and when you leave you can still be held accountable

The fact is there is no excuse fo not consultiing the National Assembly other than that he decided he was going to act regardless.
If there was a deadline so what? Why not consult them? No more phone? No more dinner? All those dinners he was organizing for them was for what?

Just the same way you jailed Obj, Yaradua and Jonathan for the same offence, right? Why do we like to play into the gallery in this country? Oh, it is Buhari/APC and everyone just realised that the constitution has been breached! Hence, the need to make scapegoat out of him.

Abu Ibrahim (Katsina-APC), accused senators of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) of conspiring to impeach Mr Buhari.

Since they begin to operate this account, I have never seen any expenditure that was brought here for approval.
“N17.7 billion was drawn by (ex-President) Obasanjo to pay the Paris Club without National Assembly approval. Obasanjo left N9.3 billion in excess crude account but former President Goodluck Jonathan …the money with no recourse to the National Assembly.

The account was increased to over N20 billion in 2008 and decreased to less than N4 billion by Jonathan in 2010. It never came to National Assembly for approval.

“N2 billion was used by the previous PDP administration to fight Boko Haram in 2014. Governor Godswill Akpabio was the one who moved the motion at the National Economic Council to get the money. N5 billion was taken for power generation, funding was also sourced for Niger Delta, the same process was not taken by (ex-President Yar’ adua). It was later taken to the National Assembly and it was approved".

“I don’t think this exercise is worth it because we endorsed it to the U.S Congress. It was after we agreed in September that the U.S government now went back to give approval to the Executive to pay to their own government so they can go ahead and sell this equipment to Nigeria".- Saraki

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by Amiano(m): 10:01am On May 05, 2018
ogmask:

Too mch insults in your post but, tht will not deter me from infrming you. The govt had already submitted a $1B security budget, of which this expenditure is part of, to the nationa assembly for approval.

That $1B has not been approved by N.A

1 Like

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by ManirBK: 10:15am On May 05, 2018
uyplus:
Your source, a link or i call you a lazy!

1 Like

Re: Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS by ogunnoikitaiwo(m): 10:17am On May 05, 2018
Firefire:

I wonder where his promised CHANGE is...

The dullard keep referring to the past stupidity of the condemned 16 years of PDP to justify his angelic government.

What a set of morons.
..if i may ask u wat animal kingdom u belong to?.kingdom of no commercial value...u no s truth obj use d money he collect for paris club,GEJ for dansuki to share..US av confirmed d money..how could u be so stupid nd idiot..

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Members Protest In Abuja: 'Say No To Imposition Of Candidate' / Adaora Soludo: We Left Nigeria Over Threats After My Dad Reformed Banking Sector / Wike: Amaechi Behind Plot To Remove CJN Onnoghen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.