Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday (5602 Views)

Umaru Musa Yar'adua's 69th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Bruce Mayrock Memorial Building By Ojukwu: Bianca Fulfils A Promise (Photos) / Makinde Presents Amotekun Frame To Oyinlola On His 69th Birthday (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by SAHACO(m): 7:30am On May 06, 2018
Bruce Baruch Mayrock (6 May 1949 – 30 May 1969) from Old Westbury, New York was a student at Columbia University who set himself ablaze at the premises of the United Nations Headquarters in New York on 29 May 1969, to protest genocide against the nation and people of Biafra in the Nigerian Civil War. Mayrock doused himself with a flammable liquid and set himself afire on the lawn outside the U.N. building. The fire was spotted by United Nations security guards who ran after him with fire extinguishers. Mayrock eluded them, running to the north lounge of the building as witnessed by several hundred delegates. Mayrock finally fell to his knees beside the bronze statue sculpted by Evgeniy Vuchetich to represent the human wish to end all wars, which bears the slogan "Let Us Beat Swords into Plowshares". The flames were extinguished and he was rushed to Bellevue Hospital Center where he was listed in critical condition and was pronounced dead in the early hours of 30 May 1969, the Biafran independence day. He was carrying a cardboard sign which said, "You must stop the genocide—please save 9 million Biafrans." Mayrock had worked actively to protest the war in Biafra, writing letters about the war to the U.S. President and leading government figures. The student took his life to protest the killing of innocent Biafran babies and what he believed was genocide in Biafra. He was concerned that people were being killed and no one was doing anything and no one was listening. Mayrock graduated with highest honors from Flatbush Yeshivah and was a Student of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America as well as Columbia University, and worked as a photographer for the Columbia Daily Spectator. He had previously studied briefly at Hofstra University. He is buried in Mount Ararat Cemetery, Farmingdale, Suffolk County, New York.

http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Bruce_Mayrock

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Ikpewe: 7:42am On May 06, 2018
What did he achieved with committing suicide? all this rubbish was because he had licked flatron PUC cat.
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by mightyhazell: 8:09am On May 06, 2018
A true hero...

i read about mayrock in a biafra war memoir about 15yrs ago.. for days, i was in awe of his selflessness. a caucasian, with a healthy active and exciting life and yet brought himself to pay the ultimate price to try and save a ppl in faraway west africa. his story provoked me into another level of selflessness to fellow humans..

a true hero indeed.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Bari22: 8:16am On May 06, 2018
mightyhazell:
a true hero

To you he is a hero to me he is a lazy youth
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by SAHACO(m): 8:18am On May 06, 2018
Ikpewe:
What did he achieved with committing suicide? all this rubbish was because he had licked flatron PUC cat.

JFK : Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by mightyhazell: 8:27am On May 06, 2018
Bari22:

To you he is a hero to me he is a lazy youth
at a time during the genocidal war, united nations put daily mortality of children under 6yrs at 10,000 a day.
now, i knw ur capacity for humanity n thoughtfulness may be at the lowest cadre,..and inversely proportional to ur bigotry but try n picture this. just try

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Bari22: 8:37am On May 06, 2018
mightyhazell:
at a time during the genocidal war, united nations put daily mortality of children under 6yrs at 10,000 a day.
now, i knw ur capacity for humanity n thoughtfulness may be at the lowest cadre,..and inversely proportional to ur bigotry but try n picture this. just try

Does his death put a stop to the killings? To save a soul u have to survive first.

And don't ever call a Biafran war genocide, No a war is a war
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by mpianya39(m): 8:48am On May 06, 2018
Ikpewe:
Na dem grin grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by mpianya39(m): 8:51am On May 06, 2018
Bari22:

Does his death put a stop to the killings? To save a soul u have to survive first.

Dem many for here cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Bari22: 8:55am On May 06, 2018
mpianya39:

Dem many for here cheesy cheesy

Am a proud Hausa man, don't quote me again
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by kettykings: 8:55am On May 06, 2018
mightyhazell:

Events in Nigeria shows that Nigeria has the most useless military in the world even with foreign support and the solidarity of OAU countries ,they still opted to starve innocent children and women, now that herdsmen and book haram are slaughtering innocent villagers the military has no solution but to arrest vigilante and villagers who want to protect themselves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by mightyhazell: 10:17am On May 06, 2018
Bari22:

his death may not have put a complete stop to the genocide, but it sure did make news den across europe and americas,.. brought to the consciousness of millions the atrocities going on in den biafra.. and may have triggered some humanitarian intervention among individuals and orgs..

sure u read too where he wrote, campaigned and exhausted avenues to reach out to relevant authorities to no avail b4,.. perhaps outta depression or as a last desperate move to stop d genocide decided on a public self immolation.
talk of sheer selflessness,... a true hero!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by mightyhazell: 10:21am On May 06, 2018
Bari22:

a war is not a war. u dont take out military defeat on hapless civillian populations ,esp babies just because u have superior air power backed by worldpowers

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 11:18am On May 06, 2018
Ikpewe:
[s]What did he achieved with committing suicide? all this rubbish was because he had licked flatron PUC cat[/s].

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 11:20am On May 06, 2018
mpianya39:

Na dem grin grin

Hahaha...you got it right. Always in their traditional attire that smells like human skull and blood after cone skull mining. And skinny too like slave camp victims. SMH

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by BankeSmalls(f): 11:22am On May 06, 2018
mpianya39:

Na dem grin grin

Na them grin grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by mpianya39(m): 12:03pm On May 06, 2018
Bari22:

Am a proud Hausa man, don't quote me again

I hear grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Ikpewe: 7:15am On May 07, 2018
[quote author=Clinton9000 post=67323775][/quote]I am an Ibibio man from Akwa Ibom, thank you.
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Strikethem: 7:55am On May 07, 2018
The guy tried. This is what hero is, unlike ojukwu that ran away. Even their Jesus kanu will never try such.
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by nairavsdollars(f): 8:03am On May 07, 2018
Oyinbo man died for Biafra, But Ojukwu and Nnamdi Kanu, Biafrans fled for their lives. Isn't that ironic?
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by jpphilips(m): 5:04pm On Apr 19, 2020
SAHACO:
Bruce Baruch Mayrock (6 May 1949 – 30 May 1969) from Old Westbury, New York was a student at Columbia University who set himself ablaze at the premises of the United Nations Headquarters in New York on 29 May 1969, to protest genocide against the nation and people of Biafra in the Nigerian Civil War. Mayrock doused himself with a flammable liquid and set himself afire on the lawn outside the U.N. building. The fire was spotted by United Nations security guards who ran after him with fire extinguishers. Mayrock eluded them, running to the north lounge of the building as witnessed by several hundred delegates. Mayrock finally fell to his knees beside the bronze statue sculpted by Evgeniy Vuchetich to represent the human wish to end all wars, which bears the slogan "Let Us Beat Swords into Plowshares". The flames were extinguished and he was rushed to Bellevue Hospital Center where he was listed in critical condition and was pronounced dead in the early hours of 30 May 1969, the Biafran independence day. He was carrying a cardboard sign which said, "You must stop the genocide—please save 9 million Biafrans." Mayrock had worked actively to protest the war in Biafra, writing letters about the war to the U.S. President and leading government figures. The student took his life to protest the killing of innocent Biafran babies and what he believed was genocide in Biafra. He was concerned that people were being killed and no one was doing anything and no one was listening. Mayrock graduated with highest honors from Flatbush Yeshivah and was a Student of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America as well as Columbia University, and worked as a photographer for the Columbia Daily Spectator. He had previously studied briefly at Hofstra University. He is buried in Mount Ararat Cemetery, Farmingdale, Suffolk County, New York.

http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Bruce_Mayrock

You must be ret@rded to copyright Joshua Waitzkin's picture to sell your stup!dity

1 Like

Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by chibuike65: 11:26am On May 30, 2021
I remember you today sir, keep resting on our hero
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Arda1000(m): 11:51am On May 30, 2021
Keep them coming we have a lot of heroes and heroines to remember
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 11:57am On May 30, 2021
mightyhazell:
A true hero...

i read about mayrock in a biafra war memoir about 15yrs ago.. for days, i was in awe of his selflessness. a caucasian, with a healthy active and exciting life and yet brought himself to pay the ultimate price to try and save a ppl in faraway west africa. his story provoked me into another level of selflessness to fellow humans..

a true hero indeed.
you forgot he was Jewish

The Jews hate Christian's Taqiya crew would be crying blood now
Re: Bruce Mayrock 69th Posthumous Birthday by gidgiddy: 12:10pm On May 30, 2021
RIP Mayrock

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News:suspected Fulani Gunmen Kill Pregnant Woman, Rape Others... / PDP National Leadership Swears In Enugu State EXCO / Video Of Secret Estate Of Adams Oshiomhole Exposed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.