Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! (13452 Views)

Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit / Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise / Opening A Joint Account, What Is The Minimum Amount Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by isdis4real: 11:24am On May 24, 2010
pewekac:

having worked in a bank before i can tell it's most likely wrong posting by a teller. if they have their correct controls in place (call over etc) they should be able to detect in in 24hours and reverse the posting. if they don't and the money stays for say 2 weeks o boy then chop the money (especially if you have a gross to settle with them). by then it will be gross negligence and they won't really be able to threaten you. you can simply say you rightly though it was payment for a business transaction you did and all the staff involved will be seriously queried.

the only thing is if the account is one of your most used ones and you have other monies/interests in the bank, then they'll go hard on you.

Thanks man
Mbeki:

This guy is bluffing. If it is true, He won't even come on board to announce it. He'll quietly return the money if he is truthful or conner the money if he is dubious.

Thanks, now tell me, what would be my gain if i am lying?
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by AroOkigbo(m): 11:26am On May 24, 2010
Is this for real?
Thank God.
Reading through the posts, I'm vindicated!!
I've always said it many Nigerians are good and ready to do that which is right !!!
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by manmustwac(m): 11:27am On May 24, 2010
withdraw the money and close your account. Abi u never hear the saying ''man must wack'' smiley
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by snowdrops(m): 11:30am On May 24, 2010
Just wait and see what happens. Dont rush to take any decision. You cannot be prosecuted for your inaction.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by isdis4real: 11:36am On May 24, 2010
snowdrops:

Just wait and see what happens. Dont rush to take any decision. You cannot be prosecuted for your inaction.

I don't want to be a mugu and at the same time i don't want to be a criminal either, so let me sit on the fence.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by kemisuga(f): 11:38am On May 24, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by kshow1(m): 11:39am On May 24, 2010
manmustwac:

withdraw the money and close your account. Abi u never hear the saying ''man must wack'' smiley

Somebody may lose his/her job with this action if it is a case of wrong posting.

@poster : simply notify the bank.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by sayso: 11:39am On May 24, 2010
people have returned 5million without a job.

1 Like

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by donsteady(m): 11:43am On May 24, 2010
i hard smiler experience like that befor. the best thin to do suppose the money is upto 20million is as oreginal nigerian is to withdraw the money close the account change your location this na God blessing.

1 Like

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by mikeoscar: 12:06pm On May 24, 2010
Thanks for letting us know. I am also glad that you KNOW the money do not belong to you.

Call the Bank and return the Money now!!!!
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by edatika(m): 12:10pm On May 24, 2010
so now that you've read everyone's post
what do you want to do?.
or what have you done?

1 Like

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by otukpo(f): 12:15pm On May 24, 2010
We still have some good and honest people in this Nigeria .
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by taibabie(f): 12:25pm On May 24, 2010
[quote][/quote]like someone rightly said, what if i call the bank and the person overthere converts the money to his/hers?

what if i go to the customer care and he or she ends up converting the money to theirs?

what if the money was actually sent to me by someone who did not want to let his identity known?

or what if the money was sent by someone i know but has not been able to reach me yet?

i am planning to leave the money there for months, i am not expecting to go to the bank with my money or call them with my money, i need every #1 i have now and not ready to let go of 50kobo.

if the money is not really for me, it would be removed within this month or next month at most, if not, it's mine Undecided

OF WHAT USE IS ALL ADVICE GIVEN SO FAR? THIS GUY HAS CLEARLY MADE UP HIS MIND TO BE A THIEF WHO CAN RIGHTLY JUSTIFY HIMSELF. (HE WOULD SAY HE IS MAKING THE BANK PAY FOR EVERYTIME HE HAS VISITED THE BANK AND HE HAD TO STAY FOR MORE THAN 5MINS). SEE ME SEE POVERTY MENTALITY O! HE ONLY FOUND <500K AND HE HAS ALREADY PUT HIS INTEGRITY TO QUESTION. YET, WE SIT BACK EVERYDAY AND CURSE OUR SO-CALLED LEADERS. HEY MISTER, PLEASE DON'T RETURN IT AND WATCH THE LAW OF KARMA PLAY ITS OWN ON YOU AND MANY GENERATIONS AFTER YOU! INFACT, I WOULD CALL YOU 'STUPID' TO RETURN IT!
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by aceventurx: 12:37pm On May 24, 2010
I have a similar case like this; it happened to me like almost 4 years ago I was over paid and I withdraw the money, what did I do with it? Brought a play station 1 and a Discman.
The cashier called me on the phone, I later promise to pay her before the end of the same week, but money simply refuse to come, I stopped going there and to my surprise, she came to my family house then, she was calm, nice and told me that she used her salary to pay up. I have to open up to her that life has been very unfair to me. She came almost 4 times and we ended up becoming friends, now I have lose her contact now and right now I am ready to refund her back ,some clues my name is Christian and she works in former city express bank, in case she sees this, she should contact me via email mibanks8@yahoo.com

My advice to you is to return the money because you will live with this guilt for the rest of your life, someone will be held accountable for that money.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Nimshi: 12:43pm On May 24, 2010
Do the right thing: pay a visit to the bank, confirm if the amount had been wrongly posted.

You would probably be saving a cashier a lot of trouble, possible sack, and possibly some money too.

May you have the courage to do what's right.

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by caadediran(m): 12:45pm On May 24, 2010
The best Advise for u is to be Honest and that speaks a lot abt ur character. You need to just contact the bank make enquires and get to knw all that surrounds the issue. don't withdraw the money until you have sort things out right.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by proudly9ja(m): 12:51pm On May 24, 2010
Abeg try return the money.

So what if someone else claims the money? Let that person live with the guilt not you.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by jokingmary(m): 12:54pm On May 24, 2010
as a good boy
(1) go and ask the bank if there was any raffle draw or something like that
(2) if not ask them if it was a wrong posting
(3) if not take the money and run grin
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Tcrack(m): 12:56pm On May 24, 2010
act like a true lagos boy. leave the new money therefor a while let see how it goes. if yawa gas, you can simply claim you dint know it was there. but,withdraw all the money that is truely yours (you old balance) from the account iam sure you wont want an "unexpected withdrawal" to come and sweep everything grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Tcrack(m): 1:00pm On May 24, 2010
go to the bank, withdraw the money and take it to the nearest police station for further investigation. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Yefet(m): 1:30pm On May 24, 2010
@ Donsteady in Ghana

I believe I know you in Ghana ( Spintext) so you still have such dangerous advice bro? grin

Hehehe. @ Poster Return the money and dont think of any reward as if you expect it you will not be giving. For a good name is better than reward. You intention of opening a new ID here shows your intentions. Just go to the bank and ask them to take the money out.

God bless you.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by AroOkigbo(m): 1:31pm On May 24, 2010
Tcrack:

go to the bank, withdraw the money and take it to the nearest police station for further investigation. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerian police aren't corrupt as this story portrays-
a driver gave a policeman twenty naira at checkpoint.
The policeman simply took it, threw it into the bush and asked him to keep moving!!

Police ko, investigation ni!!! Another definition of that is theft. lipsrsealed
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by bisiaet: 1:35pm On May 24, 2010
Pls my best advice is for you to go to the bank and complain if what you are saying is truth, pls never you listen to anybody that says go and use the money this is my best advice to you because if you proceed to use this money and it was later find out that a money was mistakenly put in your account and you spend it pls you know what will happen dont take such risk because it may be too dare.

Beside as some are saying use it, do the money this way, spend it save it and so on please remember the kind of country we are some people does things wrongly and get away with it you know those i'm refering to while majority that try such is a gate of prison no question about that so use your head and think well do the right thing and be at peace than the other way and be cage.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by infoguides(m): 1:44pm On May 24, 2010
Hi, my friend i think the first thing is to veryfy who deposited the money,maybe by asking for the details of the deporsitor,get the phone number call him if actually the money is for you he will tell you but if otherwise you may be compensated,remember if it is not meant for you the bank will still trace you and that may laed to an open shame,
regards.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by PurestBoy(m): 1:50pm On May 24, 2010
Withdraw and take it to the nearest p(ole)ce station. grin grin grin grin
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by DoubleN(m): 1:52pm On May 24, 2010
pewekac:

having worked in a bank before i can tell it's most likely wrong posting by a teller. if they have their correct controls in place (call over etc) they should be able to detect in in 24hours and reverse the posting. if they don't and the money stays for say 2 weeks o boy then chop the money (especially if you have a gross to settle with them). by then it will be gross negligence and they won't really be able to threaten you. you can simply say you rightly though it was payment for a business transaction you did and all the staff involved will be seriously queried.

the only thing is if the account is one of your most used ones and you have other monies/interests in the bank, then they'll go hard on you.
It is not always the case of wrong posting,bankers do this all the time to launder cash in the bank. In order to prevent large deposits being reported to CBN when they are made,they split it into several accounts then effect transfers after a period of time. Trust me,you do not want to withdraw such cash cos they will send people to come looking for you. Except you did not use your correct details to open the account,which i am sure you did.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by bencobenz(m): 1:53pm On May 24, 2010
If your bank is UBA, withdraw the money and close the account but if other bank, investigate to know the depositor.
140k was wrongly posted into my UBA account sometime in 2007, i called the bank to notify them of the wrong posting,
the posting was reversed leaving the charges asociated with the transaction in my account. I made several calls before the charges could be reversed.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by sevo(m): 2:03pm On May 24, 2010
people dey tink sai if u chop d money, u don cheat d bank. no!!!!!!!!!. na d teller wey do d posting na him go bear d full brunt.so if chop d money, na d teller u wan put in trouble and not d bank.if u chop d money, d kain swear wey dat teller go give u, even ur upcoming generation go feel am.RETURN DAT MONEY FAST FAST.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 24, 2010
[b]If you are in Lagos, call the bank to inform that you receive funds in your account and that you have been expecting cash (same amt as posted). Then take the fastest flight to Abuja, use ATM there to pull out the cash (up to daily limit) and return back to lagos, call the bank with Lagos Landline to say work holds you that you will make it. First and second call should be between 1Hr 30 mins. Make sure you go to the bank and tell them that u wanna confirm who sent the cash, then bank will certainly know that withdrawal has been made. Then ask them "BY WHOM"? and tell them and HOW, if they detect thats it from ATM at ABUJA, shout and say, my ATM is with me in LAGOS, how can that happen, NIGERIAN BANKING SECURITY IS POOR WATER. They will tell you that they will look into it. Use night flight and enter Abuja again and pull another (full daily limit). By now you have made up to 240,000 depending on your bank limit, less flight expenses, and make sure you report back to the bank as early as 8 am next and say who want to see the bottom of it. Please note that your flight ticket should not be bought with your name, nor your signature on the ticket. And make sure you dont call or receive calls during your sharp trips to Abuja. At the end, Bank security unit will allege ATM clone, and issue you new one, when thats offered, tell them you simply wanna close the account and open new since you dont want a recurrence. Meet me for more tips on how to reap where you didnt sow. [/b]
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by KAYD007(m): 2:27pm On May 24, 2010
guy check dat name wey dem been send thru txt, d alphabets resemble am own too much cash it an send it ma offshore acct. grin
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by obojo(m): 2:36pm On May 24, 2010
oh so na ur account i mistakenly pay d money enter?? abeg help me send am back, i will pm you the account, sorry for the confusion, take 20k for yourself for being honest
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by KAYD007(m): 2:38pm On May 24, 2010
guy, on a serious note, u no d right thing to do so do it! remember, d golden rule"do unto others as you would want them do unto you" dat shld solve ur dilemma .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Controversial Ibaka Seaport Relocated And Renamed. / How To Transfer Money From Gtbank To Gtbank And To Other Bank Account / October: N111.8billion Shared To 36 States From Federation Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.