Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

C Of O Vs Deed of Assignment- Which One Do I Need. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / C Of O Vs Deed of Assignment- Which One Do I Need. (8617 Views)

C/o, Deed Of Assignment, Government Consent, Excised, Gazetted Document Availabl / C/o, Deed Of Assignment, Government Consent, Excised, Gazetted Document Availabl / Lawyer Pls Help: Deed Of Lease And Deed Of Assignment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

C Of O Vs Deed of Assignment- Which One Do I Need. by Mayshowers: 6:00pm On May 21, 2010
Hello house,
                  Need some guidance here.Have a piece of property  in Oyo State.I am at a crossroads at to which document to obtain from the government[b](C of O or Deed of Assignment[/b]) to show that I am the rightful owner.Have consulted some people but the response is conflicting.

The property is a yet-to-be-developed 4 plots of land and was acquired about 1 year ago.

All comments welcome.

Mayshowers
Re: C Of O Vs Deed of Assignment- Which One Do I Need. by Mayshowers: 11:09pm On May 22, 2010
Anyone please.
Re: C Of O Vs Deed of Assignment- Which One Do I Need. by SammyOkey(m): 12:15pm On May 23, 2010
Go for C. of O. Its a better proof of title.Meanwhile try and improve your grammar(1 years, should 1 year and yet to be development, should be yet to be developed)One love.
Re: C Of O Vs Deed of Assignment- Which One Do I Need. by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 23, 2010
Okey, stop correcting grammatical errors-this is not WAEC. You also need to know that C of O conveys no title. It is therefore foolhardy for you to state that a C of O "is a better proof of title." In many circumstances, a deed of assignment that is genuine would prevail over a C of O that did not have any authentic title to begin with.  C of O only gives you the governmental right to develop but does not certify title.

So If you have a C of O and you fail to perfect your title, a person with a claim of right will shred your purported C of O.  Furthermore, C of O limits your ownership rights to 99 years while a person with a deed of conveyance or proper assignment owns his property in perpetuity. There are many other limits that I would not get into here.

The advantage of C of O though is that you can use it to borrow money from bank and in case government would confiscate your property, you'll be paid compensation.

2 Likes

Re: C Of O Vs Deed of Assignment- Which One Do I Need. by Mayshowers: 10:14pm On May 23, 2010
@Sammy,thanks for your post.My desperation for some kind of guidance made me to overlook some typo/grammatical errors in my initial post.Lesson learnt.

@Omonuan,you are appreciated.
Re: C Of O Vs Deed of Assignment- Which One Do I Need. by Nobody: 5:00am On May 24, 2010
If you can get a deed as well as C Of O, then it is better but remember that you would have subjected yourself to the whims and caprices of any government in power (AGIP) by getting a C of O.  On the other hand, you can be rest assured that you can use your property as security for loans.  However, If it is a choice between C of O and any deed, please take a perfected deed instead.

(1) (Reply)

Glass Blocks For Sale At Good Price / Mortgage Facility In Abuja Through (aso Savings And Loan) / POP ( Plaster Of Paris) , Wall Screeding, Art Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.