Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Please Help,is This True? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Help,is This True? (4730 Views)

When Your House-help Is Straight From The Village (hilarious Photo) / Help! Is My Husband Marrying A Second Wife? / Girls Age And Marriageable Age: Is This True Courtship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help,is This True? by stuffs4(m): 6:06pm On May 21, 2010
I hosted some friend some days ago, and i offered them what i had in the house to cool down before getting them something to eat, and it was ZOBO drink,but one of them lashed out at me,saying it is very very dangerous to the health,but i have been drinking this stuff and nothing had happened to me.
please house,anybody with a better idea,because it had turned into a very big problem for me.
Re: Please Help,is This True? by SLIGHT(m): 10:45pm On May 21, 2010
Am surprised too just as u are. Zobo has no harmful effect as far as i know i have been drinking it since i knew my name and notin happnd 2 me, what is ur frnds reason for saying that its harmful?
Re: Please Help,is This True? by Outstrip(f): 2:34am On May 22, 2010
What is Zobo
Re: Please Help,is This True? by heryyy(m): 9:14am On May 22, 2010
Outstrip:

What is Zobo

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Please Help,is This True? by cantell(m): 9:29am On May 22, 2010
Outstrip:

What is Zobo
Come to Nigeria and you'll know.
@Poster,
The guy dey form. Collect ur zobo and put for fridge abeg.
Re: Please Help,is This True? by skfa1: 9:35am On May 22, 2010
Outstrip:

What is Zobo

Zobo is a red ice block drink people like to drink during the summer time. It taste good, bet you wanna try it out wink
Re: Please Help,is This True? by honeric01(m): 9:58am On May 22, 2010
skfa1:

Zobo is a red ice block drink people like to drink during the summer time. It taste good, bet you wanna try it out wink

you are funny, how can you call zobo a red ice block drink? is that the meaning of zobo? lol?
it's like saying what is rice? " rice is a white boiled food people like to eat"', does that define what rice stands for?
Re: Please Help,is This True? by Africanqueen2(f): 10:01am On May 22, 2010
See leg o. . . The guy dey expect red wine u come carry zobo give am, wat do u expect he'll say? To me its a polite way of saying no thanks.
Re: Please Help,is This True? by HayYlay(m): 9:42am On May 24, 2010
Get a gun and burst his brains! Even akon dey drink zobo notin do ein career.

Re: Please Help,is This True? by draigboje(m): 11:34am On Jun 05, 2010
Medical research carried out on Zobo drink at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital(LUTH) has shown that Zobo has beneficial effects to the human body.The only advise that i want to give you is to moderately use flavouring agents like sugar which may make the functioning of your endocrine system to go haywire.In other words excess consumption of sugar under the guise of drinking Zobo may predispose one into developing diabetes mellitus(abnormal metabolism of carbohydrate in the body) and on a long term basis may predispose one to coronary artery disease (a heart problem). Cheers
Re: Please Help,is This True? by nat138: 11:53pm On Jun 06, 2010
draigboje:

Medical research carried out on Zobo drink at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital(LUTH) has shown that Zobo has beneficial effects to the human body.The only advise that i want to give you is to moderately use flavouring agents like sugar which may make the functioning of your endocrine system to go haywire.In other words excess consumption of sugar under the guise of drinking Zobo may predispose one into developing diabetes mellitus(abnormal metabolism of carbohydrate in the body) and on a long term basis may predispose one to coronary artery disease (a heart problem). Cheers

I totally agree with this post, nothing wrong with Zobo just be careful on the bolded parts, that your friend was just fronting jare, that is one of the healthiest drinks we have in Nigeria, infact my people (TIV) use the green Zobo leaves for soup with groundnut and it is really nice. Abeg Keep enjoying your Zobo.
Re: Please Help,is This True? by nat138: 11:58pm On Jun 06, 2010
Outstrip:

What is Zobo

wikipedia.com

The roselle is known as the rosella or rosella fruit in Australia. Its close relative, Hibiscus cannabinus is also known as meśta/meshta on the Indian subcontinent, Tengamora in Assam, Gongura in Telugu, Mathipuli in Kerala. chin baung in Myanmar, กระเจี๊ยบ krajeab in Thailand, bissap in Senegal, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Benin and Niger, the Congo and France, dah or dah bleni in other parts of Mali, wonjo in the Gambia, zobo in Nigeria (the Yorubas in Nigeria call the white variety Isapa (pronounced Ishapa)), Chaye-Torosh in Iran, karkade (كركديه; Arabic pronunciation: [ˈkarkade])[dubious – discuss] in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Sudan, omutete in Namibia, sorrel in the Caribbean and in Latin America, Flor de Jamaica in Mexico, Saril in Panama, rosela in Indonesia, asam paya or asam susur in Malaysia. In Chinese it is 洛神花 (Luo Shen Hua) . In Zambia the plant is called lumanda in ciBemba, katolo in kiKaonde, or wusi in chiLunda.

[b]Beverage
See also Hibiscus tea

A roselle drink
In the Caribbean sorrel drink is made from calyces of the roselle. In Malaysia, roselle calyces are harvested fresh to produce pro-health drink due to high contents of vitamin C and anthocyanins. In Mexico, 'agua de Flor de Jamaica' (water flavored with roselle) frequently called "agua de Jamaica" is most often homemade. Also, since many untrained consumers mistake the calyces of the plant to be dried flowers, it is widely, but erroneously, believed that the drink is made from the flowers of the non-existent "Jamaica plant". It is prepared by boiling dried calyces of the Flower of Jamaica plant in water for 8 to 10 minutes (or until the water turns red), then adding sugar. It is often served chilled. This is also done in Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago where it is called 'sorrel'. The drink is one of several inexpensive beverages (aguas frescas) commonly consumed in Mexico and Central America, and they are typically made from fresh fruits, juices or extracts. A similar thing is done in Jamaica but additional flavor is added by using ginger and rum, it is a popular drink of the country at Christmas time. It is also very popular in Trinidad & Tobago but the ginger is substituted for cinnamon and cloves for added flavour. In Mali, Senegal, The Gambia, Burkina Faso and Benin calyces are used to prepare cold, sweet drinks popular in social events, often mixed with mint leaves, dissolved menthol candy, and/or various fruit flavors.
With the advent in the U.S. of interest in south-of-the-border cuisine, the calyces are sold in bags usually labeled "Flor de Jamaica" and have long been available in health food stores in the U.S. for making a tea that is high in vitamin C. This drink is particularly good for people who have a tendency, temporary or otherwise, toward water retention: it is a mild diuretic.
In addition to being a popular homemade drink, Jarritos, a popular brand of Mexican soft drinks, makes a Flor de Jamaica flavored carbonated beverage. Imported Jarritos can be readily found in the U.S.
In the UK the dried calyces and ready-made sorrel syrup are widely and cheaply available in Caribbean and Asian grocers. The fresh calyces are imported mainly during December and January in order to make Christmas and New Year infusions, which are often made into cocktails with additional rum. They are very perishable, rapidly developing fungal rot, and need to be used soon after purchase – unlike the dried product, which has a long shelf-life.[/b]
Re: Please Help,is This True? by stuffs4(m): 4:05pm On Jun 07, 2010
Thanks a million,i think they were all wrong and i or we are right because i have been drinking this and nothing had happened to me, I go dey drink my ZOBO drink well well, Thanks once again. Williams
Re: Please Help,is This True? by tjaft(f): 10:20am On Apr 23, 2012
pls i need d recipie for zobo and kunu.thanks
Re: Please Help,is This True? by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 23, 2012
tjaft: pls i need d recipie for zobo and kunu.thanks
Items
Zobo leaves,
fresh pineapple,
ginger
sugar

Peel and blend your ginger or pound it as you choose, cut and blend your pineapple, put the gigner first in boiling water, when it is boiled add leave blended pineapple then add the zobo leaves. leave for 5 minutes to boil. Bring it down, let it cool, seive and add water to dilute, add sugar to your taste, put it in the fridge to cool, serve chilled
Re: Please Help,is This True? by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 23, 2012
Awwwww. I miss my kunu and zobo ooooo cry cry cry cry
Re: Please Help,is This True? by tjaft(f): 3:21pm On Apr 23, 2012
tanks y'all
Re: Please Help,is This True? by tasandra: 8:47pm On Apr 24, 2012
Up 9ja grin we 2much,wen it comes to thins like this grin

(1) (Reply)

I Feel Like Giving Up, I Have Failed My Children / Life Without A Mum / What Will You Do, If Your Wife Is Steals Your Money And She Is Caught

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.