Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,658 members, 7,813,223 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola (45525 Views)

Nigerian Power Firm To Sell Electricity To Burkina Faso / Electricity: 2,000 Mega-watts Generated Not Distributed To Nigerians / Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Nobody: 6:32pm On May 10, 2018
three:

Have you heard of NESCO in Jos?

They've been selling directly to residents since 1929
Is the light constant?
Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Ayobami7(m): 6:33pm On May 10, 2018
Okay
Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 10, 2018
Good idea. It's been long overdue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 10, 2018
cosmatika:
Singing in monkey's voice;

After the election wey them do, them do, them do, we still dey wait for the change, the change, the change.
All the promise wey dem makeo, dem make, dem make, e don dey be like say na fake, na fake, na fake.
Relax small. No over boil your lid.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Horus(m): 6:36pm On May 10, 2018
You can sell electricity produced with your own solar panels. Here’s how it works: while you’re off at work during the day, the solar panels on your home generate electricity that gets stored on the grid, and you can resell the electricity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 10, 2018
Awoo88:
Kukuma take style tell everybody to buy a generator
I dey wonder if solar plus generator plus inverter no go kukuma solve everything plus my freezer too?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 10, 2018
JuanitaJames:

Is the light constant?

3000% better than NEPA Abi phcn Abi JEDC

My friend says they serve written notice of disruption to individual customers stating times Eg for repairs.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Awoo88: 6:39pm On May 10, 2018
JuanitaJames:

I dey wonder if solar plus generator plus inverter no go kukuma solve everything plus my freezer too?
E go solve am but the start up capital go plenty

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by three: 6:39pm On May 10, 2018
JuanitaJames:

Is the light constant?

NESCO power supply has been more consistent than NEPA/PHCN/DISCO

I can't guarantee you what today's supply is like but generally NESCO do 12-18 hours a day on the average.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by StaffofOrayan(m): 6:39pm On May 10, 2018
I guess we should also build roads while at it
And the stupid tariffs on imports
This gov't is clueless abeg

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Youngzedd(m): 6:40pm On May 10, 2018
Awoo88:
Kukuma take style tell everybody to buy a generator

Hahahahaha

They know they have failed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by revolt(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2018
igbodefender:
Speaking on the electricity supply situation in the country, Minister of Power, Babatunde Fashola has announced that people are now free to set up independent power generation companies “without necessarily requesting for license.”

Fashola, who made the announcement while on an inspection of Federal works in Jigawa State, stressed that the Federal Government is encouraging the private sector to invest in generation and selling of power to the public.

He said, “Any interested individual or company can set up power generation from two megawatts downwards and sell it to public without requesting for any licence.

“We are encouraging people to set up small power generation and sell it according to their capacity, not necessarily going for big projects that require huge amount of money and expertise”.

Source: http://zikistmovement.igbodefender.com/2018/05/10/nigerian-individuals-can-now-buy-and-sell-electricity-fashola/
if this is true thus is the only good policy fashola has come up with. Atleast he's not the worst power minister ever after all.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Freestainworld(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2018
that is a very good idea, it will help to curtail the way with which NEPA cuts peoples head with dubious bills. and the biz will be a thriving one.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by three: 6:43pm On May 10, 2018
deomelo:

What's their full name without abbreviations and also their website..

They don't seem to have a website.

They generate power from 5 hydroelectric dams.

The reason they may have had the 'Nigeria' prefix may be owing to them being a pre-independence pre-CAC entity.

If you do a Google search you will come up with stats and history

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Chukwuka16: 6:45pm On May 10, 2018
Nice analysis by the way.

My major concern is lack of regulation. Commonsense will demand that before making such statements there is proper legislation that guides how such setup will work. Things like safety nets and technical constraints which are the more important considering how bad our safety record is. Furthermore how are clients going to connect? It can't obviously be the distribution grid owned by the discos since that will lead to immediate shut down if everyone is pushing electricity into it without some limits. Hope he is not imagining the road side kerosene seller kind of scenario for electricity. This is some dangerous issue that requires seriousness. For a compound that maybe okay but with generation getting to 500kW and beyond then there needs to be some control. Haba, even tie grid inverters are properly regulated in countries with feed in tariffs.

This is the problem of having triangular pegs in circular holes. Fashola obviously is overwhelmed by the power issue and is now firing blanks.

three:
Nothing prevented this before now.

The Power act states that anything above 10MV must be pushed into the grid.

Which is why Lagos was able to do the Marina IPP that supplies public facilities (general hospital, state House, street lights etc).

This >10MV arrangement meant that as many people in say Gbagada and environs could be placed on one IPP.

Imagine several across Nigeria!

The ONLY challenge is that the distribution infrastructure belonged/belongs to the government (then) DISCO (now), so this arrangement is best for semi private estates like VGC that can deploy their own distribution infrastructure at scale.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 10, 2018
igbodefender:

He said, “Any interested individual or company can set up power generation from two megawatts downwards and sell it to public without requesting for any licence.

“We are encouraging people to set up small power generation and sell it according to their capacity, not necessarily going for big projects that require huge amount of money and expertise”.

Source: http://zikistmovement.igbodefender.com/2018/05/10/nigerian-individuals-can-now-buy-and-sell-electricity-fashola/
This is no news na. It's being in existence. Why 2mw downwards? I thought it was 10mw
Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by wristbangle: 6:49pm On May 10, 2018
If u ask me, it's a good move but the problem is distribution which only will favour estates and private residence.

By the way it is 2MW downwards
Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Horus(m): 6:52pm On May 10, 2018
JuanitaJames:

Build your own solar panel system for your home and resell the surplus solar power

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by lonlytroy(m): 6:53pm On May 10, 2018
Fashola is a waste of sperm i swear

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:54pm On May 10, 2018
Admission of failure.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by horsepower101: 6:55pm On May 10, 2018
There will be no Distribution problem if you are directly selling the power to consumers on site.

I don't think any rational businessman in Nigeria will want to sell the 2MW power to consumers far away from production site. This is perfect, if well managed for Small and Medium size businesses, Housing Estates and cottage industries or light manufacturers
Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by michoim(m): 6:56pm On May 10, 2018
This is a government that encourages economic liberty; good works

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by three: 6:58pm On May 10, 2018
Chukwuka16:
Nice analysis by the way.

My major concern is lack of regulation. Commonsense will demand that before making such statements there is proper legislation that guides how such setup will work. Things like safety nets and technical constraints which are the more important considering how bad our safety record is. Furthermore how are clients going to connect? It can't obviously be the distribution grid owned by the discos since that will lead to immediate shut down if everyone is pushing electricity into it without some limits. Hope he is not imagining the road side kerosene seller kind of scenario for electricity. This is some dangerous issue that requires seriousness. For a compound that maybe okay but with generation getting to 500kW and beyond then there needs to be some control. Haba, even tie grid inverters are properly regulated in countries with feed in tariffs.

This is the problem of having triangular pegs in circular holes. Fashola obviously is overwhelmed by the power issue and is now firing blanks.

It appears the Minister is alluding to some amendment of the Power Reform Initiative.

The guidelines below are fairly comprehensive.

http://www.nercng.org/nercdocs/NERC-Regulation-for-IEDN-2012.pdf

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by NASTYNASOSO: 6:59pm On May 10, 2018
worlexy:
Confused set of people, they are now shifting the responsibilities on others. Very soon they will be saying, "we don't have light cos people have refused to generate power "

HMMMMMMM

BUT THIS PROVEN TO BE EFFECTIVE AND EFFICIENT,GO TO KANO AND SEE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by michoim(m): 7:00pm On May 10, 2018
three:
Nothing prevented this before now.

The Power act states that anything above 10MV must be pushed into the grid.

Which is why Lagos was able to do the Marina IPP that supplies public facilities (general hospital, state House, street lights etc).

This >10MV arrangement meant that as many people in say Gbagada and environs could be placed on one IPP.

Imagine several across Nigeria!

The ONLY challenge is that the distribution infrastructure belonged/belongs to the government (then) DISCO (now), so this arrangement is best for semi private estates like VGC that can deploy their own distribution infrastructure at scale.

The Power Acts that was dormant before and was never stimulated for the good of the people until the arrival of APC government. ..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Powerexpert: 7:03pm On May 10, 2018
Nice development.

We can handle independent power projects @JubailiBros

Be it diesel, gas or solar.

Contact @signature for more details

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by lokzie: 7:04pm On May 10, 2018
This, if not just 'political talk', should be an interesting opportunity for SMEs, the general public, and consequently, the economy.

@OP/MOD
I believe the article says "2 MW and below", however, the title of this post says "2 MW (minimum)". Nairaland is often (even if informally) used as a reference sometimes, so please confirm and correct.
Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by three: 7:05pm On May 10, 2018
michoim:

The Power Acts that was dormant before and was never stimulated for the good of the people until the arrival of APC government. ..

Can I say - You Funny Gan?

These reforms have been ongoing since even before 2005!

They don't automatically yield optimal benefits overnight.

That's what development is na

Please take time to read this

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.banwo-ighodalo.com/assets/resources/497df8b8fea9b9d59c593621c41431ed.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiAne3o3fvaAhXJAsAKHcKSAO4QFjAMegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3Y3cX---Hl3xDk18T3z75U

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by kunyeo(m): 7:09pm On May 10, 2018
Rayhandrinni:
We don't want to buy and sell
We just want 24hrs supply
Non stop.

Evidence of mental laziness and why they often refer to Nigerian youths as being lazy.YOU NEED TO ANSWER THE QUESTION HOW ,BEFORE WHAT?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Horus(m): 7:09pm On May 10, 2018
With more independent suppliers, electricity will be cheaper in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by pawesome(m): 7:12pm On May 10, 2018
deomelo:

I was talking about Lagos state/A state, not a government regulatory agency.

Btw, NESCO is a government agency.

Nigerian Electricity Supply Corporation (Nigeria) Limited (NESCO)
its not

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola by Chukwuka16: 7:13pm On May 10, 2018
I am quite familiar with the NERC regulation with regards to embedded generation below 2MW. I was already scared that Fashola was encouraging 'everyone' to go become an independent distributed generator operator. His lack of knowledge in the field shows from time to time.
Cheers.
three:

It appears the Minister is alluding to some amendment of the Power Reform Initiative.

The guidelines below are fairly comprehensive.

http://www.nercng.org/nercdocs/NERC-Regulation-for-IEDN-2012.pdf

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Blasphemy: Senate Receives Petition For The Investigation & Arrest Of Pastor Ojo / INEC Electoral Officer Related To Akpabio Nab With Results And Ballot Papers / Confirm Amaechi And Lose Our Support, PDP Senators Warn Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.