Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,937 members, 7,952,776 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:02 AM

Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch (1027 Views)

Ukraine: Former World Boxing Champions, Klitschko Brothers, Take Up Arms. / Usyk Wants Joshua Rematch In Ukraine / Andy Ruiz Jr Va Anthony Joshua Rematch Time And Channel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by atakamus: 9:01pm On May 10, 2018
Former world boxing heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko has revealed the real reason he turned down a rematch with British-Nigerian world champion Anthony Joshua.
Joshua scored an 11th round knockout victory against Klitschko in a thrilling heavyweight contest almost 12 months ago.
Joshua landed a famous uppercut in the fight which consequently ended Klitschko’s career.
However, in the immediate aftermath of the bout, fighting fans from around the world were desperate to see the two greats go at it again.
But Klitschko turned down a $30million (£22m) rematch and decided to instead hang up his gloves.
The Ukrainian has how come out to reveal why he rejected Joshua’s offer for a rematch.
“The way I boxed was the way I acted my life,” Klitschko told the BBC.
“I have to make sure everything sits.
“And I knew my stocks went up after I lost for some weird reason, but it was the most complicated and difficult decision of my life ever.
“For 27 years I’ve been doing it and then when you know you gotta pull the plug that’s it, it’s done.
“So I was saying to myself ‘Wlad c’mon man you gotta make a decision’, because one day I’d wake up and say yes I’m gonna go for it, then second day I’d wake up and say wait a second it’s about AJ, it’s about rematch.
“So you have to be honest with yourself what is your gut feeling saying coz [sic] as soon as your brain turns on, you’re gone.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/klitschko-why-i-turned-down-22m-joshua-rematch/

Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by atakamus: 9:03pm On May 10, 2018
I think the upper cut gave him more sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by divinehand2003(m): 9:39pm On May 10, 2018
He made a wise decision. A Rematch would have landed him in the hospital with some permanent body damage for the rest of his life which 22million pounds won't erase.
Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by Nobody: 9:56pm On May 10, 2018
The two guys above me didn't watch that fight.

Klitchsko was goin' to win the bout before the KO. He rocked AJ from the 4th onwards. AJ's corner had to go for broke & they got lucky. If that fight had reached Round 12, AJ would have lost. Fact. Go check their points sheet before Round 11. AJ's feet was even wobblin' & surprisingly, Klitschko, who's known for finishin' off opponents refused to capitalize.

The match looked fixed after that - like Klitschko was asked to lose deliberately since their time was comin' to an end & nobody could wrest the belts from them. Same happened to his elder bro against Fury - very weird fight.

I think they agreed with the boxing world to retire since they vowed not to fight each other.

3 Likes

Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by atakamus: 11:06pm On May 10, 2018
We are talking of upper cut.
ShyCypher:

Klitchsko was goin' to win the bout before the KO. He rocked AJ from the 4th onwards. AJ's corner had to go for broke & they got lucky. If that fight had reached Round 12, AJ would have lost. Fact. Go check their points sheet before Round 11. AJ's feet was even wobblin' & surprisingly, Klitschko, who's known for finishin' off opponents refused to capitalize.

The match looked fixed after that - like Klitschko was asked to lose deliberately since their time was comin' to an end & nobody could wrest the belts from them. Same happened to his elder bro against Fury - very weird fight.

I think they agreed with the boxing world to retire since they vowed not to fight each other.
Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by Pusyiter(m): 3:25pm On May 11, 2018
Good one Mr. Vladimir. Your records speaks for you. In the history of the Heavyweight, you stand out.
You were a World Champion when Joshua was a teenager and you remained one till the defeat spanning more than 10 years.
Bowing out when the ovation is loudest is a wise one.
Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by Yomiwayne80(m): 10:51pm On May 11, 2018
ShyCypher:

so that upper cut was prearranged? abeg come make I give you same upper cut to reset your brain
Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by Nobody: 12:52pm On May 12, 2018
atakamus:
I think the upper cut gave him more sense.
It can cause brain damage.
Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 12, 2018
ShyCypher:

I bought the DVD of the fight.AJ got tired on round 5 and 6 after he had knocked Klitschko down.He regained his strength from 8 round.There was no way Klitschko would have knocked him down .He had a full control of the fight.
Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by Nobody: 1:21pm On May 12, 2018
ShyCypher:

I bought the DVD of the fight.AJ got tired on round 5 and 6 after he had knocked Klitschko down.He regained his strength from 8 round.There was no way Klitschko would have knocked him down .He has a full control of the fight.
Re: Klitschko: Why I Turned Down £22m Joshua Rematch by AndreUweh(m): 1:38pm On May 12, 2018
ShyCypher:

Noops. His elder brother did not fight with Tyson Fury. The same chap who fought Fury also fought against AJ.

(1) (Reply)

Leon Balogun Signs For Brighton In EPL / DOWNLOAD VIDEO: France 4-2 Croatia World Cup 2018 Final / Cute Photo Of C. Ronaldo With All His Children & Partner In Juventus Jerseys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.