Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,903 members, 7,835,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me (1065 Views)

My Wife Sleeps With My Boss / What I Did When My Wife Refused My Sexual Advancement For 7 Months / How Can I Handle This Issue With The Wife Of My Boss? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by wwwkaycom(m): 6:05pm On May 11, 2018
My department was given an important assignment in my workplace. My direct boss didn't know a jack about the assignment, he asked me to carry out the assignment. I realised the importance of the assignment while going through the template given to us, I put in my best, did a lot of research, spent my personal money on browsing, fueling my car, moving from place to place etc. Some Junior guys in the office also worked assiduously with me. After two weeks, we completed the assignment and wrote a beautiful report to my boss. He read through it and submitted it to our chief executive. After this, praises started rolling in from management to my boss, I heard many of our ogas telling him they're proud of him because of the job well done and the beautiful report. He didn't offer a single word of appreciation to me or the guys that assisted me. Last month, he was sponsored to Germany to present the project on behalf of my office. He even went with his woman friend who is a secretary in our department. He returned by May 1, not a word of appreciation came to me and my guys who did the job. He convened a departmental meeting today which we all attended, not a word of appreciation to anyone, he only admonished us to work harder since our department is now the new bride of the entire office. One of the guys who worked with me told him all we went through to get that job done, asking that at least our expenses be reimbursed to us, he claimed the job didn't yield money and that it's to the glory of out department and our workplace. He promised to present his request for reimbursement to our CEO. I'm greatly displeased with this attitude, I wanted to meet him gently in his office to discuss issues but I'm being careful not to raise my voice against him because of his tendency to talk down on his juniors, I don't really know what to do.
Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by vizkiz: 6:08pm On May 11, 2018
He pays you for whatever services you give.

Your salary is praises to him. If you can't cope, resign and go back hunting for Job in the streets of Lagos. I am sure nobody is begging you to wait (that's if you feel too big to continue)

What you don't know is you are building up yourself (gaining more knowledge) while your boss will soon be in a situation where he wouldn't be able to defend any of those works you and your team worked endlessly for (then you will finally get to be recognized by the executives/directors)

I hate it when people seek for praises. Reading through your words I see more of pride than hurt.

"Never outshine the master" undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by aristocrazzy: 6:10pm On May 11, 2018
With the way you put it, he doesn't seem like a nice man he should've at least commended u guys privately
Some bosses are like that especially if he was used in that way when he was a junior staff so don't confront him for now.
Next time subtly let him know the expenses required if it is too much for you guys after all is a team effort and he is the leader of the team.

3 Likes

Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by rheether(f): 6:10pm On May 11, 2018
He is your boss for crying out loud. He is paying you for a reason.
Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by UjuJoan2: 6:19pm On May 11, 2018
vizkiz:

Your salary is praises to him. If you can't cope, resign and go back hunting for Job in the streets of Lagos. I am sure nobody is begging you to wait (that's if you feel too big to continue)

What you don't know is you are building up yourself (gaining more knowledge) while your boss will soon be in a situation where he wouldn't be able to defend any of those works you and your team worked endlessly for (then you will finally get to be recognized by the executives/directors)

I hate it when people seek for praises. Reading through your words I see more of pride than hurt.

Not every boss/subordinate relationship translates to the boss paying your salary. Some people are recruited as members of a team with someone heading the team. Most times the head of the team is not responsible for any of the other member's recruitment not. Each team members is assigned a role to play and nobody should take credit for anybody's work. It's ethically wrong.

5 Likes

Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by vizkiz: 6:20pm On May 11, 2018
UjuJoan2:

Not every boss/subordinate relationship translates to the boss paying your salary. Some people are recruited as members of a team with someone heading the team. Most times the head of the team is not responsible for any of the other member's recruitment not. Each team members is assigned a role to play and nobody should take credit for anybody's work. It's ethically wrong.
Well, as long as he is boss, he has the power to send you packing once he detects any sign of rebellion.

FYI: Open your eyes to reality. People take credit for other people's success.
Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by Ahmed0336(m): 6:40pm On May 11, 2018
Don't say a word to him. Next time when a work of this nature is assigned to your team, before any step is done ask for money just keep asking till he gets tired grin

3 Likes

Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by wwwkaycom(m): 7:18pm On May 11, 2018
vizkiz:

Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by wwwkaycom(m): 7:19pm On May 11, 2018
vizkiz:

He is not my employer, he is not paying my salary either. We are bith working for the FG of Nigeria. He is my HOD just by seniority in the office. I have better educational qualification, better experience but he was employed 3 years before me, that's all. My sadness over the matter stemmed from the fact that when opportunity arose for two members of staff to travel to Germany because of the work he knew nothing about, he could have taken one of those junior guys who did the work with him since he really didn't like my guts as he once told me. Why his secretary? Hr actually presented the woman as the one who'll handle the computer works, PowerPoint and all that. Something I prepared using my laptop, my generator etc. Imagine him telling us the job and the trip didn't yield money, what about his estacode and that of his concubine? I could fire a petition to management over the issue but I'll rather be reticent and wait for my time, thank you for your advice bro, cheers.
Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by solace2013: 7:31pm On May 11, 2018
wwwkaycom:
My department was given an important assignment in my workplace. My direct boss didn't know a jack about the assignment, he asked me to carry out the assignment. I realised the importance of the assignment while going through the template given to us, I put in my best, did a lot of research, spent my personal money on browsing, fueling my car, moving from place to place etc. Some Junior guys in the office also worked assiduously with me. After two weeks, we completed the assignment and wrote a beautiful report to my boss. He read through it and submitted it to our chief executive. After this, praises started rolling in from management to my boss, I heard many of our ogas telling him they're proud of him because of the job well done and the beautiful report. He didn't offer a single word of appreciation to me or the guys that assisted me. Last month, he was sponsored to Germany to present the project on behalf of my office. He even went with his woman friend who is a secretary in our department. He returned by May 1, not a word of appreciation came to me and my guys who did the job. He convened a departmental meeting today which we all attended, not a word of appreciation to anyone, he only admonished us to work harder since our department is now the new bride of the entire office. One of the guys who worked with me told him all we went through to get that job done, asking that at least our expenses be reimbursed to us, he claimed the job didn't yield money and that it's to the glory of out department and our workplace. He promised to present his request for reimbursement to our CEO. I'm greatly displeased with this attitude, I wanted to meet him gently in his office to discuss issues but I'm being careful not to raise my voice against him because of his tendency to talk down on his juniors, I don't really know what to do.
How are you sure your boss don't know anything about the project? He must have chosen his secretary so that she can help him handle simple Secretarial jobs now, did you find out whether your boss actually put finishing touches to the job after you've done your bit? How can he present a work he knew nothing about? From your write up here, it can be seen that you have beef with your boss, that's the way I see it.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by 1stNumeroUno: 7:53pm On May 11, 2018
Dear OP, I want you to calm down and learn a lesson from this incident.
Yes, learn how NOT to treat people under you too (either now or in the future).
If you'll still push this, try to 'fight' for all involved.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by wwwkaycom(m): 7:54pm On May 11, 2018
solace2013:
How are you sure your boss don't know anything about the project? He must have chosen his secretary so that she can help him handle simple Secretarial jobs now, did you find out whether your boss actually put finishing touches to the job after you've done your bit? How can he present a work he knew nothing about? From your write up here, it can be seen that you have beef with your boss, that's the way I see it.
I know what I'm saying when I said he doesn't know anything about the work. Both by training and willingness to learn on the job, he doesn't know anything about that assignment.
Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by UjuJoan2: 8:30pm On May 11, 2018
vizkiz:

Well, as long as he is boss, he has the power to send you packing once he detects any sign of rebellion.

FYI: Open your eyes to reality. People take credit for other people's success.

And what is rebellion in this case?

And no he doesn't have the right to fire you because he is not your employer.

I agree that people take credit for other's work but is that the right thing to do?

1 Like

Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by Mavereek(m): 8:39pm On May 11, 2018
Dear OP, First things first, you've every legitimate reason to be appalled by your boss's gross treatment of not giving credit to whom credit is due. In his eyes he is a wise man but he is also very foolish enough to ignore the fact that his actions can weaken the team, because no man will want to put in his best and not be compensated.
What you should do now is dependent on a lot. You may want to question him on what he did but he can be manipulative and run u down. Also, if you question him, are there proofs to back up Ur claim if requested by Ur organization? All of these should be put into consideration before any move.
Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by Nobody: 6:13am On May 12, 2018
@op you watch too many movies.

That is your job. He may not thank you but He knows your worth. Don't get big-headed grin

Next time, request for funds in writing before using your money. For now, produce receipts and request for reimbursement.
Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:06am On May 13, 2018
vizkiz:

You've advised him to look at the bright side of things, but it doesn't negate the fact that the boss should have at least commended them for a work well done.
Re: My Boss Takes The Praise For The Work I Did Without Uttering A Word To Me by SAMBARRY: 8:10am On May 13, 2018
Be right back let me wear my bra

(1) (Reply)

Which Of Your Family Member You Are Not Close With And Why? / Suggestion On A Good Blender/grinder, 20-25k / Families In Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.