Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,765 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

FUTO Students Dilemma In Getting Transcript From FUTO. About To Lose Scholarship - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FUTO Students Dilemma In Getting Transcript From FUTO. About To Lose Scholarship (1860 Views)

Two FUTO Students Found Dead In Their Lodge Today (Graphic Photos) / Pictures Of The Drone Made By FUTO Students / Four Final Year FUTO Students Design A Campus Surveillance Drone (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FUTO Students Dilemma In Getting Transcript From FUTO. About To Lose Scholarship by picasso4u(m): 7:15am On May 12, 2018
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING: My Dilemma in Obtaining FUTO Transcript.

[PLEASE READ IN FULL]

The Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) my alma mater, has been ranked the 'First' and 'Best' federal university in Open Educational Resources (OER) in Nigeria by the National Universities Commission (NUC). This means that FUTO has been accessed to be the best in teaching, learning and research materials in any medium, DIGITAL or otherwise, that reside in the public domain...and that permits no-cost access, etc. It might interest you to know the items that constitute the OER accessment: curriculum, course materials, multimedia, etc and any other materials that have been designed for use in the teaching and learning environment. This may have been the case within the last two years because prior to my graduation, these items were not effectively administered and not accessible to students not to mention the public.

What then prompted me to scribe on this subject matter?
Any FUTO graduate who has been subjected to this similar experience below should join me and let's speak up about the unnecessary difficulties graduates face while applying and processing their OFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPT.

I applied and paid for transcript on April 4, 2018 (I would have applied earlier than this but for the NASU strike that lasted for months, the staff were not working). I traveled to FUTO on April 17 to be sure my application was well-received. When I got to Records and Statistics (RAS) department of the Registrar's office, I found out that my Student's Record File (Green File) has not been sorted out for processing; then I offered to do it myself since my departmental schedule officer was not on seat at that moment. I reached the File Office at SOSC building (Room 004) and found my file. That same day, my file was sent back to the RAS department for prompt attention. It took me another day to get to meet my schedule officer whose work is to confirm my academic records and compile my results manually for further attention.

After several days of constant pleas and case presentations (by case presentations I mean explaining my situation and the urgency of the transcript), my schedule officer compiled my results and forwarded it to the secretary's office for minuting and typing on April 26, that's after 8 consecutive working days of constant attendance and case presentations.
On Monday, April 30, I went back to the secretary's to request that she minutes my result file for typing and to explain how urgent the transcript request is. I have until June 1, 2018 to turn in my transcription to ND Graduate School. I went as far as explaining to them why I had to come down to FUTO myself because of the urgency and the resulting implications of nullifying my offer of enrollment. I equally informed the secretary that it's a scholarship and needs urgent attention. Her replies and responses were unethical, unprofessional and derogatory.

It's saddening that a staff of an institution cannot treat alumni/graduates from that institution with respect and regards after 5 years of painstaking scholarship at the institution.
Re: FUTO Students Dilemma In Getting Transcript From FUTO. About To Lose Scholarship by picasso4u(m): 7:22am On May 12, 2018
After being frustrated that day, I went ahead and returned on Wednesday, May 2 to continue my undeserved maltreatment and harsh feedback from people who are being paid to do their work. The worst just happened; the codes and titles of courses/subjects that I took while studying at FUTO cannot be found in their database. Two things must have caused it: it's either they have not updated their database since 2015 (that was the year the inaugural class graduated in Quantity Surveying) or no one else has ever processed transcript from the department which I doubt. Either way, it's their responsibility to ensure that the database is update to accommodate all the courses approved and offered in FUTO.

Meanwhile, all the transcript applications received from my department prior to mine for processing were all dumped and sidelined because of the database issue. Should this be the case? Aren't they supposed to sort the issue and fill the lacuna long before now? The funny thing is that they have my departmental brochure which contains all our courses and codes. Why not input the data themselves? Must they wait for another year for update before processing transcript requests on their table? They just complained and nothing was done about it (if at all they did).

As someone in need, I took it upon myself to solve the problem and fill in the gap. I obtained a copy of our results including the previous class before me and went to my department to obtain all the codes and titles of all the courses missing in their database. After doing all these, I submitted it to my schedule officer who now confirmed all info to be correct and gave it to the secretary and the typing staff who collected it with gloomy look. No regard was given to me for this effort, no credit, not even considering my file. What a world!
Now, after pleading with the secretary to minute my result, she refused saying that I have to wait until she's satisfied that submitted ones have been done. No consideration for my plea, not even my condition and urgency; she just didn't care and will not care from the look of things!
Re: FUTO Students Dilemma In Getting Transcript From FUTO. About To Lose Scholarship by picasso4u(m): 7:26am On May 12, 2018
Today's May10 and my file is still with the secretary and have not been released/minuted for typing and yet I have June 1 deadline. Again, she doesn't care! I met her today and the same response. I just occurred to me that I have to do something before I lose my ND scholarship because of one staff at FUTO.
I have a colleague who has paid since last year and yet his results are yet to hit the keyboard for typing. Not just the typing is the worry; it has to be vetted for mistakes and errors, if any and this process could take same it took to get to this level. Mind you that I have counted 6 weeks since after payment and yet nothing tangible to show for it.

Is this how FUTO emerged to be the Best in OER in Nigeria? Is it how the prestigious FUTO is the best in South-East when you can get your transcript at UNN and UNIZIK within 48 Hours? FUTA and FUTMinna have started issuing degree certificates on the convocation day yet the almighty FUTO is still giving out certificates after 3 years of graduation. Most of my colleagues (2016 class) from other institutions like FUTMinna came to NYSC with their degree certificates; FUTO graduates go with Statement of Degree Result. Mind you that FUTO, FUTA, FUTMinna, etc are the same in design and academic dispensations, but they have chosen to elevate their game.
I inquired about my certificate yesterday and I was told that the 2016 class is not yet ready.

I have heard stories in the past where FUTO graduates lost post-graduate admission offers and scholarships because of failure to submit official transcripts on time; village people it can never be my potion!

What I do not know is whether FUTO ICT Unit is clueless not to have digitized transcript processing system such that it can be processed within 1 week at least? Thanks to the immediate past vice-chancellor for digitizing the payment system from offline to online (at least I paid while in Nasarawa State) but more is needed to make things easier in the 21st Century.

The world is too digital for FUTO at this era to be copying out students results manually and have to type it into system for printing. It can readily be in database once the Senate approves your result and exported for printing and mailing upon user request without having to spend 8-12 weeks on the road back-and-forth just to plead with one unmotivated staff who 'doesn't care'.

I'm just getting tired and have to take a different step this time even if means knocking at the VC's door tomorrow, after all, I'm an alum.

I therefore, call on all FUTO graduates and well-meaning students to speak up about this archaic approach as it has not been helping patronizers of it. Things need to change for good; FUTO needs to go digital in all facets; transcripts ought to be done swiftly considering what it's meant for.

In sum, I can't afford to lose such uncommon opportunity because of inefficiency among staff at the RAS department, FUTO; something can be done. #EnoughIsEnough.

Let's tweet using the hashtags below on FUTO Vice-Chancellor's handle @VC_FUTO as well as other principal officers. FUTOites we can do it and don't play ignorant or indifferent as tomorrow may be your turn. I do not wish you experience this.

#FUTOTranscriptProcessingTakesLongerInNigeria
#FUTOTranscriptSystemNeedsDigitalization
#FUTONeedsOnlineResultSystem

PS: My inputs are based on personal experience and written at the height of conscience satisfaction that the right thing needs to be done.

#copied.

Please help move to front page to assist a fellow student.
Re: FUTO Students Dilemma In Getting Transcript From FUTO. About To Lose Scholarship by tscara(m): 9:28am On May 14, 2018
This is so sad. I have the same issue but for Wes. Almost regret attending the school
Re: FUTO Students Dilemma In Getting Transcript From FUTO. About To Lose Scholarship by senoritzy: 9:21am On May 16, 2018
I have similar issue,I was recently informed that my Final year rain semester result is missing at Senate,the person who is helping me out also went to the department they couldnt find my result but they told him,he will be given the results on thursday,thank God my name was among the students that graduated if not they would have said l didn't graduate,may God help me to passover this FUTO transcript cup.

Its so pathetic I missed August 2018 batch now am working towards Jan 2019 batch but God pass them,my village people will not get me o.

In this recent age and time .FUTO is still lagging in technology.
Re: FUTO Students Dilemma In Getting Transcript From FUTO. About To Lose Scholarship by Trendirabingi: 10:44pm On Sep 06, 2018
This futo madness have to stop, i applied for this transcript online n paid thru d remitta process, up until now no response..am heading to dat futo with fire in my chest...its terrible having individuals like the officials in futo, around tertiary institutions in dis modern age of technological advancement...#futolackstechnology #futoUnableToProcessTranscriptTimely #FutoNeedsRealisticStaffOverhaul.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fact About About Nigerian News Update (NNU) / NBTE Declares Best Polytechnic In Nigeria / Why Candidates Fail The Ielts Writing Test And The Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.