Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,911 members, 7,835,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

TIMELINE: Osinbajo Speaking On Insecurity, Herdsmen-farmers Killings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TIMELINE: Osinbajo Speaking On Insecurity, Herdsmen-farmers Killings (378 Views)

Garba Shehu: Using Tax From Herdsmen, Farmers To Subsidise Petrol Unfair / Nigeria Denied Foreign Loans Over Herdsmen/farmers’ Clashes – Lai Mohammed / Herdsmen/farmers Crisis: Report Indicts Ex-pdp Governors, Defectors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

TIMELINE: Osinbajo Speaking On Insecurity, Herdsmen-farmers Killings by tracychelsea13: 11:13am On May 12, 2018
There's been widespread claims that the Vice President of Nigeria, Prof Yemi Osinbajo has refused to speak on killings across the country especially those perpetuated by herdsmen or against Christians.

But findings by Chronicle NG shows otherwise. The Vice President has spoken against killings in the country at a handful of occasions.

Here's a timeline of instances where the Vice President either condemned killings in Nigeria or gave an insight to how the government is combating insecurity.

12 June 2017: At the opening session of the Golden Jubilee Conference of the Nigerian Association of Law Teachers, themed: Law, Security and National Development held at Nnamdi Azikwe University, Awka, Anambra state

“Take the herdsmen and farmer conflicts. As Justice Amina Augie just said, it is first and foremost a struggle for food security, land and water resources. The context of environment and environmental justice sets the stage for meaningful engagement and arbitration.

We must also admit that these conflicts are not new. But engagement and law enforcement had kept things in check. Law enforcement must move apace with engagement. The President for example had issued a directive to the police to arrest and prosecute anyone found with weapons. This is important not only to assure the citizenry of safety of their lives and property but to prevent resort to self-help. There is a long way to go.

Just last week, I was meeting with our security agencies to sharpen our response to this problem. Our discussions centered on the robustness of law enforcement. There is no half-way house in maintaining law and order and the safety of the citizen. It is the very core of government. So, we must creatively and innovatively provide for maintenance of law and order."

27 October 2017: Public lecture by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the Harvard University's Weatherhead Center for International Affairs.

“Since 2013 the Federal government has been developing a comprehensive strategy to Counter Violent Extremism, coordinated by the Counter Terrorism Centre. The programme has three core streams The Counter- radicalisation and De-radicalisation programmes, and the Strategic Communication programme.”

5 December 2017: Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at a meeting with Lamido Adamawa after communal violence in Adamawa state

"All of these killings and death, do us no good whatsoever, and paint us in a very bad light as a nation. I think it is possible for us to work out a way, by which we can prevent all of these by first of all, taking a second look at this problem. I was saying to the Honourable Minister on our flight here, that I have taken a look at some of these clashes over the years, from 1996 to this present moment; we can stop these problems, it is possible, but it will take understanding, patience, to look at what the issues are carefully, and then to proffer solutions and see those solutions through.”.

Continue reading https://www.chronicle.ng/2018/05/timeline-osinbajo-speaking-on-insecurity-herdsmen-farmers-killings/

Re: TIMELINE: Osinbajo Speaking On Insecurity, Herdsmen-farmers Killings by Omololu2121: 11:34am On May 12, 2018
The lies were spread by yeebos ipod,I never believed them
Re: TIMELINE: Osinbajo Speaking On Insecurity, Herdsmen-farmers Killings by dignity33: 11:41am On May 12, 2018
Omololu2121:
The lies were spread by yeebos ipod,I never believed them
you have sold your soul for tribalism if not tribal politics initiated by your grandpa Awolowo Nigeria would have been better today.

(1) (Reply)

Saudi-sponsored Shia Genocide In Africa: / Fayose Plans To Attack Oni's Supporters Putting The Blame On Me - Fayemi / This Assertions About The Police, Is It True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.