Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Would You Be Kind Without Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would You Be Kind Without Religion? (927 Views)

Be Kind To Others / Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? / Be kind to others' religions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by Nobody: 10:36am On May 13, 2018
While some people are kind because of the religion they have, others have no religion but are nonetheless kind.

The kindest people might not even be religious. Bill Gates is a very kind man though he isn't because of a religion.

Without your religion, wouldn't you be kind and good?

Lalasticla
Dominique
Mynd44
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by Nobody: 10:39am On May 13, 2018
It would be primal for anyone to answer in the negative.

Keep also in mind, that certain people are perpetrators of evil as a result of their religion.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by hadjipapiey(m): 10:42am On May 13, 2018
Islam is a guided pathway to kindness,
Being kind however is a social fulcrum to peaceful beautiful life.
Hence, even if am an atheist, I would've extended my kindness fellowship to all and sundry.

I'm a Muslim, a proud one at it wink

Mind you, kindness I not only about money undecided
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:22am On May 13, 2018
hadjipapiey:
Hence, even if am an atheist, I would've extended my kindness fellowship to all and sundry.

The reference about money is just an example.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:23am On May 13, 2018
hadjipapiey:

The reference to money is just an example.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by Nobody: 1:09am On May 17, 2018
Great question....
See the issue isn't as much about "if" but rather the "motives" behind why one is doing something.
There's a problem on each side of the coin.
Let me deal strictly from the Christianity point of view.Those who are kind but don't profess Christ....have an issue because they don't acknowledge Christ as Lord and Savior. Then those who claim Christ... can be doing "kind deeds" but be unconverted.
Plenty of people are "kind" and claim some sort of religion...but no one but God can see that inner heart and whether or not the deed was done out of a sincere heart or a selfish heart....
People could be doing "good deeds" and still have a corrupt heart...
This is the sober warning given to professors of Christ in Matthew 7.
It's almost better to just outright "not" do something than to do something begrudgingly.... basically expecting something in return or to "show out" in order to get men's applause.
Self-introspection...and then prayer to God to deal honestly with folks is what's needed.

1 Like

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by sholay2011(m): 3:32am On May 17, 2018
I can't be kind without Christ.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by dalaman: 3:44am On May 17, 2018
sholay2011:

You can. It is not Christ that is stopping you from robbing the nearest bank, christ is not the one stopping you from harming you annoying neighbors.

You are restrained because of the consequences. If you try to rob the nearest bank you'll be killed by the security personel there, if you try to harm your annoying neighbor, you might be caught and made to face the law or they might even harm you in return. It is such fears that make people kind or abstain from doing evil and not because of Christ.

8 Likes

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by CAPSLOCKED: 6:43am On May 17, 2018
sholay2011:

MANY ANIMALS SHOW KINDNESS BECAUSE IT'S A VIRTUE, AND NOT BECAUSE THEY KNOW JESUS.

I FEAR FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TO BEAR YOUR RELIGIOUS NONSENSE EVERYDAY.

12 Likes

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by ReinaFarine: 9:36am On May 17, 2018
Religion is the leading cause of cruelty...
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by DeSepiero(m): 9:55am On May 17, 2018
Highbrow:
While some people are kind because of the religion they have, others have no religion but are nonetheless kind.

The kindest people might not even be religious. Bill Gates is a very kind man though he isn't because of a religion.

Without your religion, wouldn't you be kind and good?

Lalasticla
Dominique

What makes you think that Bill Gates is very kind?
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by superhumanist(m): 11:50am On May 17, 2018
DeSepiero:

What makes you think that Bill Gates is very kind?

Answer the op's question first

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by 0temSapien: 1:07pm On May 17, 2018
Luwabi 1:44

44. Morality is natural, immorality is a habit developed.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by johnydon22(m): 2:01pm On May 17, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

MANY ANIMALS SHOW KINDNESS BECAUSE IT'S A VIRTUE, AND NOT BECAUSE THEY KNOW JESUS.

I FEAR FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TO BEAR YOUR RELIGIOUS NONSENSE EVERYDAY.

Not necessarily: Kindness in animals (mammals most especially) is a rather intrinsic part of our neurological/psychological make-up.

Our responses to events invoke emotions such as Anger, hate, love, pity, sympathy, empathy and these and much more inform our choices that may otherwise may be regarded as moral or otherwise in human conception.

our moral compass resides in the ventromedial prefrontal cortex of our brain.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by tintingz(m): 5:52pm On May 20, 2018
hadjipapiey:

Like a quote said,

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.
Steven Weinberg

So yes, we see some Muslims doing good or kind to people we also see some non-muslims doing good and kind to people, but the problem here is when a Muslim do bad things e.g terrorists, fanatics etc he/she thinks he's doing it for Allah making him a good person.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by tintingz(m): 5:59pm On May 20, 2018
Mobilia:
Great question....
See the issue isn't as much about "if" but rather the "motives" behind why one is doing something.
There's a problem on each side of the coin.
Let me deal strictly from the Christianity point of view.Those who are kind but don't profess Christ....have an issue because they don't acknowledge Christ as Lord and Savior. Then those who claim Christ... can be doing "kind deeds" but be unconverted.
Plenty of people are "kind" and claim some sort of religion...but no one but God can see that inner heart and whether or not the deed was done out of a sincere heart or a selfish heart....
People could be doing "good deeds" and still have a corrupt heart...
This is the sober warning given to professors of Christ in Matthew 7.
It's almost better to just outright "not" do something than to do something begrudgingly.... basically expecting something in return or to "show out" in order to get men's applause.
Self-introspection...and then prayer to God to deal honestly with folks is what's needed.
Even when some christians do bad things they still think they are good because thier God approve it e.g the child-witch case.

One doesn't need a God to be moral or good, you just have to show empathy to your fellow human even to nature.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by hadjipapiey(m): 8:34pm On May 20, 2018
tintingz:
Like a quote said,

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.
Steven Weinberg

So yes, we see some Muslims doing good or kind to people we also see some non-muslims doing good and kind to people, but the problem here is when a Muslim do bad things e.g terrorists, fanatics etc he/she thinks he's doing it for Allah making him a good person.

That's a wide pool of discussion you just digressed..
The long and short of it and the reality is, ALLAAH says "He who deliberately kills a soul (Human), is as if He has killed a NATION"

So, any Muslim doing evil under the tutelage of Islam, is on his own not for ALLAAH.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by superhumanist(m): 8:37pm On May 20, 2018
hadjipapiey:

The long and short of it and the reality is, ALLAAH says "He who deliberately kills a soul (Human), is as if He has killed a NATION"

So, any Muslim doing evil under the tutelage of Islam, is on his own not for ALLAAH.

But the same book praises the killing of infidels......

And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter... and fight them until fitnah is no more, and religion is for Allah.

— Quran 2:191

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by tintingz(m): 8:59pm On May 20, 2018
hadjipapiey:

There are verses from the same Quran terrorists used in justifying thier killigs, the point here is these terrorists see themselves as good people because they are following Allah's words, they even see many Muslims not following or supporting thier cause as non-muslims or half-baked Muslims.

Our morality, goodness, kindness shouldn't rely on some religious dogmas, imagine because someone is homosexual, apostate he/she is condemned.

1 Like

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by hadjipapiey(m): 9:30pm On May 20, 2018
tintingz:
There are verses from the same Quran terrorists used in justifying thier killigs, the point here is these terrorists see themselves as good people because they are following Allah's words, they even see many Muslims not following or supporting thier cause as non-muslims or half-baked Muslims.

Our morality, goodness, kindness shouldn't rely on some religious dogmas, imagine because someone is homosexual, apostate he/she is condemned.

Dissecting it with a divergent view as your siggy implies, no one has the right to condemn another. Note: You can only condemn their actions

The Qur'an is an absolute encyclopedia of life which caught across all spheres. He who misinterpretes it is at own peril and He is among the misguided.

He whom ALLAH has guided, no one can misguide ;and He that has strayed away from ALLAH'S guidance, no one can guide except HIM alone.

Hence, this is simple and straight, ask ALLAH sincerely for Guidance, and he will guide who sought it.

Cheers wink wink
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by hadjipapiey(m): 9:40pm On May 20, 2018
superhumanist:

But the same book praises the killing of infidels......

And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter... and fight them until fitnah is no more, and religion is for Allah.

— Quran 2:191

This verse of the Qur'an is misconceived by many who are ignorant.

Please read this commentary below

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by Richirich713: 9:55pm On May 20, 2018
I would be less kind and more selfish.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by tintingz(m): 10:02pm On May 20, 2018
hadjipapiey:

Dissecting it with a divergent view as your siggy implies, no one has the right to condemn another. Note: You can only condemn their actions

The Qur'an is an absolute encyclopedia of life which caught across all spheres. He who misinterpretes it is at own peril and He is among the misguided.

He whom ALLAH has guided, no one can misguide ;and He that has strayed away from ALLAH'S guidance, no one can guide except HIM alone.

Hence, this is simple and straight, ask ALLAH sincerely for Guidance, and he will guide who sought it.

Cheers wink wink
Are you saying homosexuals, apostate are not condemned in Islam?

Allah has said it "he guide and misguide whomever he will", Allah already knows who he will guide and misguide.

The only way to know what the Quran is saying is by people interpretations, exegisis. Allah does not talk to anybody, pray from morning to night Allah doesn't explain anything he said in the Quran, it's the people giving different exegisis about the Quran.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by hadjipapiey(m): 10:18pm On May 20, 2018
Homosexuality is totally condemned by ALLAH and Islam as a whole never gave a smile at the action.
Note: The action of, and not the person
You can however do your best in admonishing who does it. Who knows, they may become the favourite of ALLAAH later

To the interpretations of the Qur'an, mind you, the Qur'an doesn't just come as revelation to the prophet Muhammad, cases, actions and reactions of events and happenings from the time of ADAM to the last of all prophet Muhammad were rehearsed to the Prophet.

You'll agree with me that few verses of the Qur'an are somewhat the same as it is in the Bible.

Hence, the prophet has come to give thorough interpretation of the Qur'an through his actions and his saying (Hadith).

Al-Quràn could be ambiguous for an ignorant if he/she didn't ask for the correct meaning. (hadith, commentaries, and views of the scholars of Al-Qur'an.

May ALLAH grant us better Understanding wink

tintingz:
Are you saying homosexuals, apostate are not condemned in Islam?

Allah has said it "he guide and misguide whomever he will", Allah already knows who he will guide and misguide.

The only way to know what the Quran is saying is by people interpretations, exegisis. Allah does not talk to anybody, pray from morning to night Allah doesn't explain anything he said in the Quran, it's the people giving different exegisis about the Quran.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by tintingz(m): 5:13am On May 21, 2018
hadjipapiey:
Homosexuality is totally condemned by ALLAH and Islam as a whole never gave a smile at the action.
Note: The action of, and not the person
You can however do your best in admonishing who does it. Who knows, they may become the favourite of ALLAAH later

To the interpretations of the Qur'an, mind you, the Qur'an doesn't just come as revelation to the prophet Muhammad, cases, actions and reactions of events and happenings from the time of ADAM to the last of all prophet Muhammad were rehearsed to the Prophet.

You'll agree with me that few verses of the Qur'an are somewhat the same as it is in the Bible.

Hence, the prophet has come to give thorough interpretation of the Qur'an through his actions and his saying (Hadith).

Al-Quràn could be ambiguous for an ignorant if he/she didn't ask for the correct meaning. (hadith, commentaries, and views of the scholars of Al-Qur'an.

May ALLAH grant us better Understanding wink

Dude I was Muslim so don't bother telling me what I know.

There are various tafsir(exegisis) of the Quran, there are strong, weak hadiths, there are hadiths accepted by some sects and not accepted by some sects e.g Sunni and Shia, Suffi, Salafi, Wahabi etc These sects have different interpretations of the Quran.

Allah is not talking to anybody to interpret the Quran, if you're a Sunni muslim your ideology will be different to that of Shia Muslim.

Now back to homosexuality, homosexuals are both condemned both by thier actions and person if not Allah won't have wipe out people in Sodom and Gomorrah, homosexuals are to be killed according to the Sharia. If your God is all powerful and all knowing he should have wipe out homosexual act and not the people.

1 Like

Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by hadjipapiey(m): 10:43am On May 21, 2018
tintingz:
Dude I was Muslim so don't bother telling me what I know.

There are various tafsir(exegisis) of the Quran, there are strong, weak hadiths, there are hadiths accepted by some sects and not accepted by some sects e.g Sunni and Shia, Suffi, Salafi, Wahabi etc These sects have different interpretations of the Quran.

Allah is not talking to anybody to interpret the Quran, if you're a Sunni muslim your ideology will be different to that of Shia Muslim.

Now back to homosexuality, homosexuals are both condemned both by thier actions and person if not Allah won't have wipe out people in Sodom and Gomorrah, homosexuals are to be killed according to the Sharia. If your God is all powerful and all knowing he should have wipe out homosexual act and not the people.

Thanks a lot for your explanation wink
May ALLAH have mercy on you and guide your steps back to the right path.
Re: Would You Be Kind Without Religion? by Nobody: 2:03am On May 22, 2018
tintingz:
Even when some christians do bad things they still think they are good because thier God approve it e.g the child-witch case.

One doesn't need a God to be moral or good, you just have to show empathy to your fellow human even to nature.

Umm brother, I think you misunderstood my post undecided

(1) (Reply)

Watch This Wonderful Things That God Did To This Woman / Greater Works Than These Shall You Do / President Buhari Will Win 2019 Election - Mbaka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.