Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,700 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan (2151 Views)

Sultan Announces Commencement Of Ramadan 1441AH - 2020 / 2 Million Pilgrims Stone The Devil, Yet He Is Still Alive - PM News / The Nafilat In The Night Of Ramadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan by tintingz(m): 4:56am On Apr 28, 2019
tintingz:
I often hear this when Ramadan approach that Allah open the gate of heaven and close the gate of hell and the devils are chained or locked(this can be found in the Hadiths).

Two questions on this,

1. If Allah was able to chain the devils, why can't he chain them permanently and does these devils escape themselves?

2. If the devil was chained, does this means evil, sins are stopped during Ramadan period since the devil is the misleader?
@IMAliyu, do you have any response for this questions?
Re: Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan by IMAliyu(m): 3:33pm On Apr 28, 2019
tintingz:
Nope, more like showing you how absurd your beliefs are.

Is this not the definition of "malevolent"? Why should Allah wait for the people to change their ways when he already knew their end and planned their end long before creation, does this even make logical sense? Except Allah is not all-knowing then we will agree on this.

Ok, let's rephrase the premises.

- God is omnipotent, meaning he has the power to do anything.

- God is omniscient, meaning he could see everything even the future long before creation.

- God is the creator, he created everything.

- God who's the planner planned everything.

- God is omni-benevolent meaning he's all-good.

Now, God who can foresee the future knew the outcome of freewill and evil yet he created it. If this is not "malevolent" what other word do we call this?

You can't tell me your God created evil but not malevolent, that's bias and illogical!

If God is able to stop evil but not willing then he must be malevolent.

For freewill to exist in this context it would mean God's omniscience would have to be limited in a sense. Meaning God knows and planned all possibilities and outcomes, but not the choices someone would make within the given possibilities. This should solve the problem of why God gets angry when you sin and reward when you do good deeds.
God being omnipotent (having the power to prevent and stop all evil doings), but for him to prevent all evil actions would be to negate the freedom of freewill.
Now the problem of "natural evil". This explanation is from my subjective opinion.
This would be a result of Ambivalent creation like I suggested earlier (neither good nor bad / being good and bad simultaneously) doing their purpose e.g. A bacterial is not good nor bad (or both good and bad) it's just doing what it knows to do, to survive and multiply. This can be a bad thing such as causing food poisoning or it could results in a beneficial relationship with it's host such as gut bacteria (which help in digesting food), or nature which is beautiful and trying to kill you at the same time. But these are not considered to be evil as they obey the purpose their creator has assigned them. So When "natural evil" (e.g. death, epidemics, natural disasters etc) happen, they are considered as natural suffering in the world and a test from God. And for those that can endure the Test without loosing faith or giving into the temptation of evil/sin a compensation awaits them in the afterlife.
This would call into question God's omnibenevolence which is if God is all loving why would he create or allow suffering and evil in the world. My (probably unsatisfactory) answer would be God did not create us to be happy, but to strive and to strive we need the possibility of a better a world (here on Earth or Heaven) which can be achieved by our actions and individual choices and the threat of a what could go wrong or be worse (here on Earth or hell) based on our individual actions again.
God being omnibenevolent to me seems like an idea that originated from Christian theology (Jesus dying for the sins of the world because God loves the world that he had to sacrifice his only son to save it) which I may be wrong about, but I personally don't buy into it, but this does not mean I agree with God being malevolent or evil.
Re: Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan by tintingz(m): 4:28pm On Apr 28, 2019
IMAliyu:

For freewill to exist in this context it would mean God's omniscience would have to be limited in a sense. Meaning God knows and planned all possibilities and outcomes, but not the choices someone would make within the given possibilities. This should solve the problem of why God gets angry when you sin and reward when you do good deeds.
Ok, God beforehand does not know the outcome of choice someone make?

Let's get this straight again, did God know I will be in hell long before I was created?

God being omnipotent (having the power to prevent and stop all evil doings), but for him to prevent all evil actions would be to negate the freedom of freewill.
Does this also mean preventing evil is wrong? What happens to the victim's freewill, is it not affected?

Like a murderer and the victim.

Now the problem of "natural evil". This explanation is from my subjective opinion.
This would be a result of Ambivalent creation like I suggested earlier (neither good nor bad / being good and bad simultaneously) doing their purpose e.g. A bacterial is not good nor bad (or both good and bad) it's just doing what it knows to do, to survive and multiply. This can be a bad thing such as causing food poisoning or it could results in a beneficial relationship with it's host such as gut bacteria (which help in digesting food), or nature which is beautiful and trying to kill you at the same time. But these are not considered to be evil as they obey the purpose their creator has assigned them. So When "natural evil" (e.g. death, epidemics, natural disasters etc) happen, they are considered as natural suffering in the world and a test from God. And for those that can endure the Test without loosing faith or giving into the temptation of evil/sin a compensation awaits them in the afterlife.
This would call into question God's omnibenevolence which is if God is all loving why would he create or allow suffering and evil in the world. My (probably unsatisfactory) answer would be God did not create us to be happy, but to strive and to strive we need the possibility of a better a world (here on Earth or Heaven) which can be achieved by our actions and individual choices and the threat of a what could go wrong or be worse (here on Earth or hell) based on our individual actions again.
God being omnibenevolent to me seems like an idea that originated from Christian theology (Jesus dying for the sins of the world because God loves the world that he had to sacrifice his only son to save it) which I may be wrong about, but I personally don't buy into it, but this does not mean I agree with God being malevolent or evil.
The initial plan of God is to create humans to be happy reason Adam was put in the garden of eden, something led to another thing and God got angry and put Adam in another world. But if you insist God plan is for humans not to be happy then you're still supporting my argument God is malevolent.

The whole concept of morality in the Qur'an is to be good, God is good that he hate evil. "Natural evil" is God's creation, he has the power to create the world without it, at least he created paradise. It's even a pointless test when natural disasters would have wiped out a whole community, what point is he gonna get from dead people?

Giving an excuse that he's using it(natural evil) as a form of test is pointless and meaningless, an all-knowing God doesn't need to test to get a result or point, he already knows the outcome of a test long before creation except you agree God is not all-knowing. Testing is an attributes of imperfection.
Re: Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan by IMAliyu(m): 12:08pm On Apr 29, 2019
tintingz:
I often hear this when Ramadan approach that Allah open the gate of heaven and close the gate of hell and the devils are chained or locked(this can be found in the Hadiths).

Two questions on this,

1. If Allah was able to chain the devils, why can't he chain them permanently and does these devils escape themselves?

2. If the devil was chained, does this means evil, sins are stopped during Ramadan period since the devil is the misleader?
@IMAliyu, do you have any response for this questions?
The literal interpretation of that Hadith is Allah restrains the devils and rebellious jinns during the month of ramadan, opens the gates of Jannah and closes the gates of hell.
To the first question.
The devils don't escape on their own they are only restrained for the month. As for why Allah doesn't restrain them permanently. Remember Satan's promise with God?
To the second question
Sins and evil are not stopped, because even in the absence of the devil, freewill and desire still exists. The devil doesn't force anyone to sin, but persuades them and the individual has to willing choose to sin.
Now for a more metaphorically interpretation of that Hadith would be
People fasting who are hungry and thirsty are less likely to go out and spread evil, so in a way the devils (in our hearts) are restrained.
The gates of heaven are opened and gates of hell are closed meaning that redemption is more possible and easier in the given month.
Disclaimer: these are my personal interpretations
Re: Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan by tintingz(m): 9:30pm On Apr 30, 2019
IMAliyu:

The literal interpretation of that Hadith is Allah restrains the devils and rebellious jinns during the month of ramadan, opens the gates of Jannah and closes the gates of hell.
To the first question.
The devils don't escape on their own they are only restrained for the month. As for why Allah doesn't restrain them permanently. Remember Satan's promise with God?
So Satan promise is powerful than Allah's power? If Allah actually hate evil and is able to stop evil, why can't he just do it?

To the second question
Sins and evil are not stopped, because even in the absence of the devil, freewill and desire still exists. The devil doesn't force anyone to sin, but persuades them and the individual has to willing choose to sin.
I think we have discussed about "freewill" and it paradox.

I don't want us to go back and forth.

Now for a more metaphorically interpretation of that Hadith would be
People fasting who are hungry and thirsty are less likely to go out and spread evil, so in a way the devils (in our hearts) are restrained.
The gates of heaven are opened and gates of hell are closed meaning that redemption is more possible and easier in the given month.
Disclaimer: these are my personal interpretations
People only do this out of irrational fear and not because devils are chained.
Re: Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan by tintingz(m): 11:25pm On May 09, 2019
Still a valid question.
Re: Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan by tintingz(m): 6:49am On Apr 22, 2020
I hope the devil is chained again this year.
Re: Question About The Devil In The Month Of Ramadan by IslamVIRGINS(f): 2:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
The Quran , chapter 9 ( At-Tawba ), verses 2–6:

So travel freely, [O disbelievers], throughout the land [during] four
months (2) ... So if you repent, that is best for you; ... And give
tidings to those who disbelieve of a painful punishment. (3) ...
Excepted are those with whom you made a treaty among the
polytheists and then they have not been deficient toward you in
anything or supported anyone against you; so complete for them
their treaty until their term [has ended]. (4) ... And when the sacred
months have passed, then KILL CHRISTIANS and JEWS wherever you find them
and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every
place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give
zakah, let them [go] on their way. (5) ... And if any one of the
polytheists seeks your protection, then grant him protection so that
he may hear the words of Allah. Then deliver him to his place of
safety. That is because they are a people who do not know. (6)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saudi Man Announces That He Is Dumping Islam / What Does The Quran Say About Hypocrites? / Tijjaniyya And Shi’ah Are Same, Says Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.