Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,468 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President (1468 Views)

ASUU President, Emmanuel Osodeke, Rejects N50m Raised By Berekete Family / Don’t Reopen Schools Now - Biodun Ogunyemi, ASUU President Urges FG / ASUU Strike: We May Not Honour Fg's Call Again - ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by Otunbalarry: 4:20pm On May 13, 2018
NEWS DIGEST – The President of the Academic Staffs Union
of Universities, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi has spoken to
The News Digest on why the lecturers Union may go on
strike.

In this Interview with The News Digest’s Olanrewaju Oyedeji,
the ASUU scribe spoke about the low funding of the
Education sector and lots more.

News Digest : What is your take on the recent statement of
the Federal Government that Federal Universities should
stop charging tuition fees?

ASUU President: I must say we are not impressed,if the
Federal Government is just coming now to state that, it is
not impressive at all.

News Digest : Do you think that the statement meets the
current reality in our Universities?

ASUU President: The Government should stop been
hypocritical ,they should face issues, there is no money
anywhere and they are not funding the sector,yet they say
no tuition fee should be charged. ASUU supports that no
tuition fee should be charged but the Vice Chancellors have
found their way around it, if we have a case in which hostels
go for as much as 40,000naira, do we still call that one
free education? The Universities still charge indirect tuition
fee and until the Federal Government faces the reality, it
may be another talk.

News Digest: But you have not done anything despite your
claims on under-funding, what steps have you taken?

ASUU President: You cannot say we have not done anything
at all, we have been meeting with them for one year and we
are still negotiating but until we see insincerity we cannot go
for confrontation.

News Digest: How soon are we likely to see confrontation?

ASUU President: I cannot state that categorically, very soon
we will come out to tell Nigerians to prevail on the Federal
Government to do the needful through funding,it is only
when they don’t meet up that we can act.

News Digest: So are we likely to see another strike action?

ASUU President: I cant speak on that basically but if the
Federal Government proves that they are really insincere, we
may talk about confrontation soon. We just rose up from a
National Delegates meeting, so we have all our heads on
improving things.

https://newsdigest.ng/featured/2018/05/13/strike-again-ASUU/

cc lalasticlala
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by austyn0(m): 4:47pm On May 13, 2018
Same issue every year and someone is busy using a very handsome amount of money that can avoid this strike for his hospital bills in some other country...Ike gwuu.

3 Likes

Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by blessingsonflee(f): 5:30pm On May 13, 2018
Oga ASUU President This strike table you are shaking a lot of Nigerian students destiny is standing on it o . grin

2 Likes

Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by MYSELF2018: 5:57pm On May 13, 2018
Na today?
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by jaychubi: 6:33pm On May 13, 2018
Upward review of salary shld be included

How can a fresh PhD holder earn 140k ie lecturer 2
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by arinzos(m): 6:39pm On May 13, 2018
ASUU don start again.it is well sha.
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by Demogorgon(m): 6:51pm On May 13, 2018
Greedy Bastards
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by Stephaustin(m): 7:13pm On May 13, 2018
austyn0:
Same issue every year and someone is busy using a very handsome amount of money that can avoid this strike for his hospital bills in some other country...Ike gwuu.

That's the point.
Tomorrow the government will say the money is not there, but can afford useless medical trips to London and the likes of it.

This country is really "funny" in a way.
Now in the health sector, JOHESU is on strike. By the time they are back, NMA will start theirs. By the time they are back, Resident doctors will start theirs; and the cycle starts from the beginning again.

In the education sector, ASUU is about going on strike. By the time they are back, NASU will start theirs. If they call off theirs, ASUU will commence the next episode.

In all these, who bears the brunt? The poor masses. Our legislators(senators) are not even moved as far as they keep receiving their mouth-watering pays for doing 'nothing' in that chamber.

Strike in Nigeria is just season movies.

The Catholic church would say the prayer they titled "Prayer for Nigeria in distress", not knowing that Nigeria was even in paradise then. It's now that Nigeria is in real distress.

Sis Rosemary Chukwu would say that those praying for Nigeria are short of words. I join her to ask "Which way Nigeria?"
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by Stephaustin(m): 7:36pm On May 13, 2018
blessingsonflee:
Oga ASUU President This strike table you are shaking a lot of Nigerian students destiny is standing on it o . grin

You're right, but the Federal government is becoming too non-chalant, stupid, and useless these days. Many graduates today are becoming unemployable because of 'unproffesional' training - I never believed this until I witnessed this in an interview session.
A situation where the federal government cannot carry out its responsibilities but advise the extension of number of years spent in the university.

Last time, it was extending medical study to 11years; now it's spending an extra year after graduation for the non-medical graduates. I wonder what schemes like NYSC and SIWES are really meant for. They only know how to propose useless policies.

Do I blame them? After all their children spend lesser number of years without hitches studying in the diaspora.

1 Like

Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by austyn0(m): 3:27am On May 14, 2018
Stephaustin:

That's the point.
Tomorrow the government will say the money is not there, but can afford useless medical trips to London and the likes of it.

This country is really "funny" in a way.
Now in the health sector, JOHESU is on strike. By the time they are back, NMA will start theirs. By the time they are back, Resident doctors will start theirs; and the cycle starts from the beginning again.

In the education sector, ASUU is about going on strike. By the time they are back, NASH will start theirs. If they call off theirs, ASUU will commence the next episode.

In all these, who bears the brunt? The poor masses. Our legislators(senators) are not even moved as far as they keep receiving their mouth-watering pays for doing 'nothing' in that chamber.

Strike in Nigeria is just season movies.

The Catholic church would say the prayer they titled "Prayer for Nigeria in distress", not knowing that Nigeria was even in paradise then. It's now that Nigeria is in real distress.

Sis Rosemary Chukwu would say that those praying for Nigeria are short of words. I join her to ask "Which way Nigeria?"
Exactly..
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by omodave(m): 5:15am On May 14, 2018
If I hear angry angry
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by femi4: 6:10am On May 14, 2018
No today? No institution strike pass ASUU
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by HigherEd: 7:40am On May 14, 2018
I think there needs to be a law preventing Academic Unions from going on strike more than once in every three years.
Lalasticlala
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by jericco1(m): 7:47am On May 14, 2018
oga I dey round up by July abeg make una wait small
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by Timothy3113(m): 8:58am On May 14, 2018
HigherEd:
I think there needs to be a law preventing Academic Unions from going on strike more than once in every three years.
Lalasticlala
There is no law like that oo,

Lauetch went on strike April 2016 and resumed Jan 2017, ( 9month), after 2 months they went on another strike from March and resumed October.

If not for some interference, they are planning on going on strike again.

All Nigeria sector is bleeped up
Re: Why We May Go On Strike Again – ASUU President by infohr: 11:19am On May 14, 2018
Java Training in Bangalore

(1) (Reply)

FUGUS Admission List 2018/2019 Now Available Online Check List Portal / Nigerians Studying Abroad / 2009 Futo Pre-degree Form Is Out.ur Admission Is Sure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.