Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,992 members, 7,821,462 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. (1756 Views)

Bilaltechi:-how To Set Up A VPN On Windows 10 And Start Browsing Anonymously / How To Set Up A VPN On Windows 10 And Start Browsing Anonymously / How To Build A PC: A Step-by-step Guide To Building The Best PC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by miracool946: 6:02pm On May 13, 2018
I bought a software disc with several software packages. I saw VPN on it and since I have seen d name I decided to install it. Then someone saw it on my PC and told me to remove it saying it can get me into trouble with SARS. pls help abet.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by madridguy(m): 6:04pm On May 13, 2018
Heed to advise before you come here to lament how SARS robbed you of 150K because of 100 naira VPN on your system.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by mumureloaded(m): 6:05pm On May 13, 2018
because you are a Nigerian bro

1 Like

Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by Demogorgon(m): 6:48pm On May 13, 2018
Remove it ASAP..
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by meobizy(f): 7:09pm On May 13, 2018
It's used mostly by yahoo boys to conceal their location and other information while they carry out scams. It seems the Nigerian police have caught wind of it. Do what your friend says, I'm not here for stories that touch.

Another set of people who use it are government opposition, dissidents and critics. Movie pirates use it when they distribute illegally obtained files so... whichever way you're always wrong to have it installed.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by khalhokage(m): 7:21pm On May 13, 2018
meobizy:
It's used mostly by yahoo boys to conceal their location and other information while they carry out scams. It seems the Nigerian police have caught wind of it. Do what your friend says, I'm not here for stories that touch.

Another set of people who use it are government opposition, dissidents and critics. Movie pirates use it when they distribute illegally obtained files so... whichever way you're always wrong to have it installed.

Seriously? what about privacy enthusiasts? or people that want to have access to region locked content like on Netflix or PSN or Google Play store or an earning PayPal account? or people that want to work in websites that don't accept Nigerians?

Are they to have it installed too?
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by meobizy(f): 7:43pm On May 13, 2018
khalhokage:

Seriously? what about privacy enthusiasts?
If they are not doing anything illegal then they have nothing to hide.

or people that want to have access to region locked content like on Netflix or PSN or Google Play store or an earning PayPal account? or people that want to work in websites that don't accept Nigerians?
ALL ILLEGAL! Yet you guys never understand why Nigerians are blocked off international sites.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by miracool946: 8:54pm On May 13, 2018
meobizy:

thanks man. buh I gotta keep it. I might need it if I finally make up my mind
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by khalhokage(m): 9:18pm On May 13, 2018
meobizy:

If they are not doing anything illegal then they have nothing to hide.

ALL ILLEGAL! Yet you guys never understand why Nigerians are blocked off international sites.

I hate arguing with people like you but, nothing i pointed out there are illegal, you will not be arrested anywhere in the world for any of those use cases.

As for privacy enthusiasts you have a very narrow world view if that is what you really believe.

Also don't forget businesses that use VPNs to secure their network.

Food for thought, if VPNs are so bad why are they so widely popular and readily available?.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by meobizy(f): 10:31pm On May 13, 2018
khalhokage:

I hate arguing with people like you but, nothing i pointed out there are illegal, you will not be arrested anywhere in the world for any of those use cases.

As for privacy enthusiasts you have a very narrow world view if that is what you really believe.

Also don't forget businesses that use VPNs to secure their network.

Food for thought, if VPNs are so bad why are they so widely popular and readily available?.
Crime is a huge global market running into billions of dollars. It's also the reason Bitcoin and the dark web are popular.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by Funjosh(m): 4:54am On May 14, 2018
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by khalhokage(m): 5:32am On May 14, 2018
meobizy:

Crime is a huge global market running into billions of dollars. It's also the reason Bitcoin and the dark web are popular.

Bitcoin is not illegal, there are nations and businesses that have approved the use of Bitcoin as legal tender, some countries even created their own crypto currency.

Also the dark web isn't readily available, you can't just Google dark web then click on the 1st result.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by meobizy(f): 8:54am On May 14, 2018
khalhokage:

Bitcoin is not illegal,
Not anymore.

there are nations and businesses that have approved the use of Bitcoin as legal tender, some countries even created their own crypto currency.
After governments realized they couldn't control and regulate it they decided to play ball by creating crypto currencies of their own.
The main reason it [Bitcoin] caught on fast was the crime aspect, the same way people love VPNs for bypassing copyright protection.

Also the dark web isn't readily available, you can't just Google dark web then click on the 1st result.
This is true also but every internet user is only a Google search away from downloading a dark web browser.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by Maxcollins042(m): 10:25am On May 14, 2018
If VPN is an illegal and incriminating tool, it won't have been purveyed on a platform as reputable as Google PlayStore.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by Maxcollins042(m): 10:37am On May 14, 2018
meobizy:

VPN is also built for corporate and remote workers who have to work from home. They can use this tool to shroud their identity while they access the office resources from home.

On this basis you can see that VPN is not entirely illegal as it is being painted by some quarters. It is seen as illegal because lately, more harm than good has been done with it.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by Maxcollins042(m): 11:01am On May 14, 2018
miracool946:
I bought a software disc with several software packages. I saw VPN on it and since I have seen d name I decided to install it. Then someone saw it on my PC and told me to remove it saying it can get me into trouble with SARS. pls help abet.
Possession of a VPN on your PC is not in any way a criminal offence in Nigeria. Nigeria is not one of the countries that have banned VPN services and made its usage illegal and in turn, a criminal offence.

The much ownership of this tool could do is to raise suspicion of perpetuation of a criminal activity with it.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by meobizy(f): 11:45am On May 14, 2018
Maxcollins042:

VPN is also built for corporate and remote workers who have to work from home.
I would have said this was a productive application then...

They can use this tool to shroud their identity while they access the office resources from home.
Again, I repeat: if they have nothing illegal in mind why hide their identity? I knew someone who worked from home once but never shielded her location because it was not a requirement, all they cared about was clocking in hours of work.

On this basis you can see that VPN is not entirely illegal as it is being painted by some quarters. It is seen as illegal because lately, more harm than good has been done with it.
This is akin to saying yahoo yahoo has good sides but only the bad aspects make the news.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by Maxcollins042(m): 1:26pm On May 14, 2018
meobizy:

I would have said this was a productive application then...

Again, I repeat: if they have nothing illegal in mind why hide their identity? I knew someone who worked from home once but never shielded her location because it was not a requirement, all they cared about was clocking in hours of work.

This is akin to saying yahoo yahoo has good sides but only the bad aspects make the news.

Do you know that there are some organizations that have the policy of keeping their dealings away from the eyes of hackers? One of the strategies that they can employ towards achieving this is to hide their operations using a VPN.

In a corporate setting or for digital nomads, a VPN can be used by the remote employees to access a company's intranet from home or while traveling.

Do you also know that the bandwidth and efficiency of a network can be enhanced with a VPN?

Then ask yourself why this seeming illegal application is on reputable platforms such as Google Playstore.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by miracool946: 1:59pm On May 14, 2018
Maxcollins042:

Possession of a VPN on your PC is not in any way a criminal offence in Nigeria. Nigeria is not one of the countries that have banned VPN services and made its usage illegal and in turn, a criminal offence.

The much ownership of this tool could do is to raise suspicion of perpetuation of a criminal activity with it.
thanks alot for the enlightenment
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by Maxcollins042(m): 2:08pm On May 14, 2018
miracool946:

thanks alot for the enlightenment
You are welcome
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by meobizy(f): 3:10pm On May 14, 2018
Maxcollins042:

Do you know that there are some organizations that have the policy of keeping their dealings away from the eyes of hackers? One of the strategies that they can employ towards achieving this is to hide their operations using a VPN.
So layers of encryption created by programmers on the daily are for what?

Do you also know that the bandwidth and efficiency of a network can be enhanced with a VPN?
Finally this discussion is yielding fruit. How does this work?

Then ask yourself why this seeming illegal application is on reputable platforms such as Google Playstore.
To make money off an illegal activity. If one downloads a VPN program there is always an End User License Agreement removing responsibility from the seller's end and placing it on the consumer.
When caught, Google does not take responsibility for one's misuse.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by Maxcollins042(m): 4:18pm On May 14, 2018
meobizy:

So layers of encryption created by programmers on the daily are for what?

Finally this discussion is yielding fruit. How does this work?

To make money off an illegal activity. If one downloads a VPN program there is always an End User License Agreement removing responsibility from the seller's end and placing it on the consumer.
When caught, Google does not take responsibility for one's misuse.
Why do hackers bypass these layers of encryption set up by programmers?

VPN can be used to increase network connection if its bandwidth is being throttled by an internet service provider. Premium VPN can also offer users a speedy network.

The fact is that VPN usage is legal. What you do with it determines if it's legal or illegal.
Re: Pls Why Is Having VPN On My Pc A Criminal Offence. by persius555(m): 12:15pm On May 15, 2018
If VPN Virtual Private Network were illegal, the banks should be persecuted for using this transport mode for data communication purpose.

VPN allows you have privacy in a noisy and unsafe public place like the internet. Freedom to privacy, you might call it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

{z0n3.today} Sell PHP Mailer Inbox, Rdp Admin With Localhost, Webmail, Cpanels / What Are The 3 Types Of Operating System / How Do I Open Passworded Winrar/winzip Files

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.