Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,444 members, 7,819,642 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Your Suggestions For A Car Newbie - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Suggestions For A Car Newbie (1167 Views)

I Need Your Suggestions On Best Car To Buy For Haulage And Family Use / Suggestions For A First Time Car Owner Under With 5m / Ford Edge As A First Card ,your Suggestions Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Suggestions For A Car Newbie by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 14, 2018
Finally, I get to create this topic. I have been looking to own a car for many months. Of course I know where Stallion Motors is located I could easily have walked in and my search would have been over before it even started. However, I observed that my pocket did not agree with my dreams. That day will come though.

So, since I could not afford Stallion levels, I went to town for a Nigerian used (not abused) one. For months, no luck. My mechanic and I looked everywhere and we saw all sorts of things masquerading as "Neatly used", "Like Tokunbo", "Nothing to fix", "buy and drive (more like "die"wink" cars. In some other cases, the cars were good but my pocket wasn't good enough, so i just maintain my lane. However, I think God smiled on me, I found a Toyota Camry 2003 (colloquially referred to as Big Daddy) at a relatively affordable price. My heart cut when I saw the debit alert. I just became gentle.

Owner shipped it in, in 2016. I did a VIN check with computerglo.bal which came out clean. The mechanic (a Nairalander) also scanned the vehicle (although there were some error codes, he certified it okay/fixable. Body is in good shape, the AC is freezing.

I just realized that the best is to buy a good tokunbo or brand new and adhere to a proper maintenance culture, most cars I saw were, relying on the mechanic's judgment, abused to extreme levels. A common feature, is the non-use of recommended engine oil and removal of thermostat. All cars, except one, had these twin issues.

I NEED YOUR ADVICE:
Please note that my car is not in perfect state, two things are noticeable:

1. Recommended oil is not being used (with the potential of sludge)
2. Fan runs directly (before car is ignited)

How do I resolve these two issues? How much would it cost?

Again,
1. How often should I maintain? I only commute to the Island and back to the Mainland, and then to church on Sundays

2. What is the best transmission oil to use? How often should I change it? I transmission oil different from gear oil?

3. I notice that water is being used instead of coolant? Can I change back to coolant? I read somewhere about cold weather and need for coolant and tropical countries where water may well pass? Is this true?

4. It is a 2.4 Litre engine. I'm hoping this does not translate to guzzling petrol? How many miles can I put on a full tank?

I would greatly appreciate your sound advice. Thank you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Suggestions For A Car Newbie by amicable09(f): 9:41pm On May 14, 2018
Tolusan for the road! cheesy

I don't have any car advice to give but such as I have give I thee. Here's my excitement, take it!

Congratulations boss. I hope to steal a ride and cruise in this used but not abused 'ship' of yours soon though. Enjoy your money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Suggestions For A Car Newbie by SmartToyota(m): 4:56pm On May 16, 2018
Congratulations on getting your car. Your car is gonna serve you very well once you're maintaining it 100% ranging from suspension parts of the car to its engine & electrical also. Use the recommended engine oil; 5w-30 since its definitely a 2AZ engine. Toyota type 4 for your transmission(same with gear oil); for the fuel part, you can simply fill up your tank & use through the week then you get to know how long it can serve you. As for the coolant part, i don't have much idea about that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Suggestions For A Car Newbie by Nobody: 10:18pm On May 18, 2018
SmartToyota:
Congratulations on getting your car. Your car is gonna serve you very well once you're maintaining it 100% ranging from suspension parts of the car to its engine & electrical also. Use the recommended engine oil; 5w-30 since its definitely a 2AZ engine. Toyota type 4 for your transmission(same with gear oil); for the fuel part, you can simply fill up your tank & use through the week then you get to know how long it can serve you. As for the coolant part, i don't have much idea about that.
Thank You Sir.

(1) (Reply)

Buying Cheap Neat Cars From Togo. / Hard Water Spots On Car Window / Corolla 2004: Urgent Assistance Needed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.