Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,394 members, 7,815,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? (3283 Views)

Discussion on Doctrine between a Christian and a Jehovah's Witness / Pastor Sunday Adelaja: Can Early Death Of A Person Be The Will Of God? / Is It Right To Be A Christian And Join Secret Society?; Pastor Shares Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:46pm On May 16, 2018
Can a Person be a Christian and not Born Again Christian?

www.livingwaters.com

The phrase "born-again Christian" is a confusing term. It's like saying "I'm a medical-doctor physician." If someone is a medical doctor, he or she is a physician. If they are a physician, they are a medical doctor.

The phrase "born-again Christian" gives the impression that there are "Christians" and then there are "born again Christians," when there is no such category. If someone is born again, he or she is a Christian, and if they are a Christian, they have been born again (John 3:1-5).

There are not two classes of Christians. By using the phrase we accommodate the error of those who say "I'm a Christian, but I'm not a born again Christian." It is both biblical and better to simply call yourself a "Christian" as did the disciples (see Acts 11:26).

Source: https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort 16 May 2014 ·

1 Share

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 5:07pm On May 16, 2018
yes its possible to be a Christian and not be born again when you are not having the mind of christ then you are not born again
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:51pm On May 16, 2018
chiommy123:

yes its possible to be a Christian and not be born again when you are not having the mind of christ then you are not born again

Are you saying I can be a Christian but not born again? undecided
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 7:02pm On May 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

very very possible

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:05pm On May 16, 2018
chiommy123:

very very possible

Tell me how? undecided
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 7:13pm On May 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Tell me how? undecided
so many Christians today just worship God or will I say go to church just for going sake or to entertain themselves but their minds are very far away from God such persons are Christians but not born again. if you are not worshiping God in spirit and in truth then you are not truely born again.

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by Anas09: 9:31pm On May 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

A Christian is someone who has the Nature of Christ in him/her. And to be a Christian you must be born again.

Anyone who just attends Church but not born again, is like a human being spending time in a garage expecting he'd become a Car.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by Anas09: 9:48pm On May 16, 2018
chiommy123:
so many Christians today just worship God or will I say go to church just for going sake or to entertain themselves but their minds are very far away from God such persons are Christians but not born again. if you are not worshiping God in spirit and in truth then you are not truely born again.
Sis, you are wrong. To be a Christian is to be a little Christ. He said He will go to His father, but will not leave us comfortless, He will come back, but this time the world will not see Him anymore, only the faithfuls, because He will live in them (The indwelling of the Holy Spirit).

Can you be like Christ but not born again? I think what you are trying to say is, Church goers go to church but their minds are far away from Christ.

The Bible says about such people;
Good News Translation Isaiah 29:13

The Lord said, “These people claim to worship me, but their words are meaningless, and their hearts are somewhere else. Their religion is nothing but human rules and traditions, which they have simply memorized.

Now, here is their lot;

Good News Translation Isaiah 29:14
So I will startle them with one unexpected blow after another. Those who are wise will turn out to be fools, and all their cleverness will be useless.”

The Master also quoted Isaiah in Matthew 15:8 to those who pretend to follow Him, but are not.

You are either His servant/disciple or you are not. You can't be here and there. To the 5 Foolish virgins (Altho virgins,) He said to them, depart from me, I know you not. Remember they were also in Church, they were waiting for the return of the Master, They had lamps, they were virgins, yet they were locked out with the Master saying 'I know you not'.

To those who used the Spiritual Gifts He gave to them for Ministry of the saints, to Make merchandise and Milk the Sheep instead of Feed them, He'd say, 'Depart from me you workers of iniquity, I know you not'.

He says, My sheep hear my voice and follows me, the voice of the stranger they'll not hear.

Anyone who doesn't hear the voice of Jesus, is not the Sheep of Jesus.

'I know my Sheep and i am known of mine', says the Master.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 9:55pm On May 16, 2018
Anas09:

Sis, you are wrong. To be a Christian is to be a little Christ. He said He will go to His father, but will not leave us comfortless, He will come back, but this time the world will not see Him anymore, only the faithfuls, because He will live in them (The indwelling of the Holy Spirit).

Can you be like Christ but not born again? I think what you are trying to say is, Church goers go to church but their minds are far away from Christ.

The Bible says about such people;
Good News Translation Isaiah 29:13

The Lord said, “These people claim to worship me, but their words are meaningless, and their hearts are somewhere else. Their religion is nothing but human rules and traditions, which they have simply memorized.

Now, here is their lot;

Good News Translation Isaiah 29:14
So I will startle them with one unexpected blow after another. Those who are wise will turn out to be fools, and all their cleverness will be useless.”

The Master also quoted Isaiah in Matthew 15:8 to those who pretend to follow Him, but are not.

You are either His servant/disciple or you are not. You can't be here and there. To the 5 Foolish virgins (Altho virgins,) He said to them, depart from me, I know you not. Remember they were also in Church, they were waiting for the return of the Master, They had lamps, they were virgins, yet they were locked out with the Master saying 'I know you not'.

To those who used the Spiritual Gifts He gave to them for Ministry of the saints, to Make merchandise and Milk the Sheep instead of Feed them, He'd say, 'Depart from me you workers of iniquity, I know you not'.

He says, My sheep hear my voice and follows me, the voice of the stranger they'll not hear.

Anyone who doesn't hear the voice of Jesus, is not the Sheep of Jesus.

'I know my Sheep and i am known of mine', says the Master.
wat am saying is that there are brethren in Churches who when you see them you think they are heaven bond already not knowing its all for show

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by Anas09: 10:19pm On May 16, 2018
chiommy123:
The Word "Worship" is completely misunderstood today. No unbeliever can worship God, as Worship is not going to Church, neither is it being active in Church. Worship is not music or gospel songs. It is not prayer or a mood you get into. All of these are part of worship, but not all of it.

Worship is a way of life, and it's done in the Spirit. If a man marries his wife in the way of the Lord, he just worshipped God. When they have sex, they worship God. When you walk in peace with people around, when you love, give, forgive, go to church, read your Bible, lift your hands in a heartfelt praise, help an elderly man/woman cross the road or carry their goods for them, when you visit the orphans and help the widows, give to beggars. When you win a soul, when you give to the advancement of the Kingdom. When you pray and intercede for the Lost, When you pray for the missionaries in the field, when you greet your neighbour with a heart of love, when you squash pride, anger, arrogance, revenge, stubbornness, rebellion, malice etc, you have Worshipped God whose name is YHWH.

Jesus said to the Samaritan woman, "Those who Worship God must do so in Spirit..." The Spirit He meant there is not the Holy Spirit. Your own Spirit which has been made alive by the Holy Spirit.

Being Born Again, is being made alive in the Spirit by accepting Jesus, without which you can not connect with Him. How then can an unbeliever worship Him?

The heart (Spirit) of Worship is a surrendered Spirit. Worship is Surrender. And no one can worship God without first surrendering to God. If you can't Trust Him, you can't surrender to Him. If you don't know Him, you can't surrender to Him.

If someone is in Church but his/her heart is far away, how can that person be said to be worshipping God?

So many have a relationship with the House of God, but don't know the God of the House. They only know of Him, but don't really know Him personally.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by Anas09: 10:29pm On May 16, 2018
chiommy123:
wat am saying is that there are brethren in Churches who when you see them you think they are heaven bond already not knowing its all for show
Who is a brethren? Who did Christ say a brethren is? Someone who is active in Church but when you get close to them, their character is opposite of what the Master requires? Not trying to be judgemental or anything,( I have my own issues), but Sis, Being like Christ is what being a brethren means.

The Road is Straight and Narrow and Few there be that shall find it.
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 5:26am On May 17, 2018
Anas09:

Who is a brethren? Who did Christ say a brethren is? Someone who is active in Church but when you get close to them, their character is opposite of what the Master requires? Not trying to be judgemental or anything,( I have my own issues), but Sis, Being like Christ is what being a brethren means.

The Road is Straight and Narrow and Few there be that shall find it.
Everyone of us can't say we haven't sinned at one point or the other but there are people in churches who when you are asked to point people that you think will go to heaven you point them first but an encounter with them will really surprise you. God knows those who are truely his.
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 5:42am On May 17, 2018
Anas09:

The Word "Worship" is completely misunderstood today. No unbeliever can worship God, as Worship is not going to Church, neither is it being active in Church. Worship is not music or gospel songs. It is not prayer or a mood you get into. All of these are part of worship, but not all of it.

Worship is a way of life, and it's done in the Spirit. If a man marries his wife in the way of the Lord, he just worshipped God. When they have sex, they worship God. When you walk in peace with people around, when you love, give, forgive, go to church, read your Bible, lift your hands in a heartfelt praise, help an elderly man/woman cross the road or carry their goods for them, when you visit the orphans and help the widows, give to beggars. When you win a soul, when you give to the advancement of the Kingdom. When you pray and intercede for the Lost, When you pray for the missionaries in the field, when you greet your neighbour with a heart of love, when you squash pride, anger, arrogance, revenge, stubbornness, rebellion, malice etc, you have Worshipped God whose name is YHWH.

Jesus said to the Samaritan woman, "Those who Worship God must do so in Spirit..." The Spirit He meant there is not the Holy Spirit. Your own Spirit which has been made alive by the Holy Spirit.

Being Born Again, is being made alive in the Spirit by accepting Jesus, without which you can not connect with Him. How then can an unbeliever worship Him?

The heart (Spirit) of Worship is a surrendered Spirit. Worship is Surrender. And no one can worship God without first surrendering to God. If you can't Trust Him, you can't surrender to Him. If you don't know Him, you can't surrender to Him.

If someone is in Church but his/her heart is far away, how can that person be said to be worshipping God?

So many have a relationship with the House of God, but don't know the God of the House. They only know of Him, but don't really know Him personally. brotherly, all these things you mentioned some people who do not even believe in the existence of God do these things. the bible says worship the lord your God with all thy heart, with all thy soul its not every worship that God accepts. that's by the way. all these pastors that we hear that sleep with their members, use people for rituals, do other terrible things are they not Christians? don't they read and interpret the Bible for other Christians?

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by ikorodureporta: 6:34am On May 17, 2018
The same way i'm asking......can someone be a 'true' christian without being baptised??
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by Anas09: 10:02am On May 17, 2018
chiommy123:
Everyone of us can't say we haven't sinned at one point or the other but there are people in churches who when you are asked to point people that you think will go to heaven you point them first but an encounter with them will really surprise you. God knows those who are truely his.
Really? there people you can point out as those qualified for heaven?
If that is the case, then you'd stand a risk of making the mistake Prophet Samuel almost made when he was asked to go to Jesse's House and anoint a King.

"There is no Act to find the Mine's construction in the face".
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 10:07am On May 17, 2018
Anas09:

Really? there people you can point out as those qualified for heaven?
If that is the case, then you'd stand a risk of making the mistake Prophet Samuel almost made when he was asked to go to Jesse's House and anoint a King.

"There is no Act to find the Mine's construction in the face".
that's why I said God knows those who are truly his.
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:52pm On May 22, 2018
Anas09:

A Christian is someone who has the Nature of Christ in him/her. And to be a Christian you must be born again.

Anyone who just attends Church but not born again, is like a human being spending time in a garage expecting he'd become a Car.

Way to go! cheesy
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by Zenithpeak(m): 4:24pm On May 22, 2018
chiommy123:

Have you ever wondered what the meaning of the nomenclature 'Christian' is?

According to the gentile in Antioch; Christian is a way of describing a particular group of people who have the same character with Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately, we see Christianity as a religion rather than life of Christ while Christians as mere religious people. As if that's not bad enough, we see Jesus as a founder of religion rather a Saviour and Zoe himself. (John 10:10)

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 5:25pm On May 22, 2018
Zenithpeak:

Have you ever wondered what the meaning of the nomenclature 'Christian' is?

According to the gentile in Antioch; Christian is a way of describing a particular group of people who have the same character with Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately, we see Christianity as a religion rather than life of Christ while Christians as mere religious people. As if that's not bad enough, we see Jesus as a founder of religion rather a Saviour and Zoe himself. (John 10:10)
you are very correct. we see every one that attend church service as Christians today

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:07pm On May 23, 2018
chiommy123:

you are very correct. we see every one that attend church service as Christians today

But are they all Christians? undecided
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 5:16pm On May 24, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

But are they all Christians? undecided
of course not some do not even understand what is being taught.
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:29pm On May 24, 2018
chiommy123:

of course not
some do not even understand what is being taught.

So what do we call those? undecided
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 7:21pm On May 24, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

So what do we call those? undecided
church goers I think
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by Ken4Christ: 9:21pm On May 24, 2018
Anyone who is not born again is not a Christian but so many just claim to be one because of the existence of religious organization who claim to be propagating the Gospel.
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:21pm On May 25, 2018
chiommy123:

church goers I think

That means they are not Christians, no? undecided
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by chiommy123(f): 2:47pm On May 25, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

That means they are not Christians, no? undecided
Christians in the real sense, no
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:58pm On May 25, 2018
chiommy123:

Christians in the real sense, no

Are you then saying we have two types of Christians then? undecided
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by paxonel(m): 9:33pm On May 25, 2018
Looking at the time frame, Christianity is a religion established by christ after he resurrected.
Jesus met nicodemus and told him you must be born again(something today Christians are yet to understand). that was before he was crucified, at that time there was nothing like Christianity.
Then how come this born again is now associated with Christianity?

The truth is, this born again concept is not feasible because everyone on earth commit sin ( 1 john 1:8 )

So, there is nothing like born again
Rather we are all Christians
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:58pm On May 28, 2018
paxonel:

Looking at the time frame, Christianity is a religion established by christ after he resurrected.
Jesus met nicodemus and told him you must be born again(something today Christians are yet to understand). that was before he was crucified, at that time there was nothing like Christianity.
Then how come this born again is now associated with Christianity?

The truth is, this born again concept is not feasible because everyone on earth commit sin ( 1 john 1:8 )

So, there is nothing like born again
Rather we are all Christians

This is where you atheists come stuck. What do understand by the term 'born again?' undecided

Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by paxonel(m): 5:19pm On May 28, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

This is where you atheists come stuck. What do understand by the term 'born again?' undecided
it simply means to follow Christ and be his disciple going by the parable he gave Nicodemus
" the wind bloweth where it listed, thou knoweth not were it is cometh from and where it goeth... "

If you can interprete parables.

I'm a christian not an atheist.
An athiest will not have the interest to know what born again means
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:28pm On May 28, 2018
paxonel:

it simply means to follow Christ and be his disciple going by the parable he gave Nicodemus
" the wind bloweth where it listed, thou knoweth not were it is cometh from and where it goeth... "

If you can interprete parables.

I'm a christian not an atheist.
An athiest will not have the interest to know what born again means

How did you become a Christian? undecided
Re: Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? by paxonel(m): 8:27pm On May 28, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

How did you become a Christian? undecided
I was born into a christian home

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jesus Lied / 101 reasons to pay tithe / Is Long Bears Part Of Islamic Uniform?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.