Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Midnight Conversations : Flash Fiction - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Midnight Conversations : Flash Fiction (577 Views)

The Midnight Encounter (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) / The Genesis (A Flash Fiction Story By Kayode Odusanya) / Scared. A Flash Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Midnight Conversations : Flash Fiction by TMDavidWest(f): 9:13pm On May 16, 2018
© TM David-West
All Rights Reserved.

“Why did you do it?”

I couldn’t think of a reason, so I didn’t answer.

“I need to know why. Maybe it will bring me some kind of rest.”

I still said nothing.

“I thought we were happy together. I thought we wanted to share a long life together.”

I hadn’t been happy, not for a long time. And I’d never wanted to share a life with him. But I wasn’t going to say that.

“Did you ever love me?”

This wasn’t a new question. It baffled me why he repeated it.

“I loved you. I loved you very much.”

I knew that. He didn’t have to tell me for me to know. I’ve always known.

“You were everything dear to me. I would never have wanted to live without you. You were the very air I breathed. I lived for you.”

No one can be the air anyone breathed. I wanted to tell him that, but I held the words in. He had lived his life for me, but I had only wished that he’d lived for himself. It’d been such a burden. A burden I couldn’t bear anymore.

“I wanted a child with you. I thought you wanted the same.”

I never did. I never wanted a child. Never with him.

“Why did you do it? Tell me. Why?”

Because he was such a burden. Because I needed to live again. And for myself.

“What did I do wrong?”

Nothing. Everything.

“What did I do to deserve this?”

He was him. That was his crime. He was who he was.

“Did I even deserve this?”

Maybe not. But I deserve to live free again.

“Talk to me. Tell me why. Don’t just keep silent. Speak. I need to know why.”

It would change nothing. If he knew why, it would change nothing.

“You won’t speak. You won’t tell me why. I am torn. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know where to go. If to go. How can I live without you?”

This I could answer. This I had the answer to.

“You can’t live. You are dead. You will forever be dead, never to live again.”

I said the words and I realised that I would do it again if once wasn’t enough.

I would kill him again.

I would poison his drink and watch him writhe and spit blood until he died at my feet.

I would do it again, if once wasn’t enough.

“Why?”

I heard the muttered question. It was a heartbroken whisper. I turned away and stared at the padded walls of my cell. I would not speak again to him. Not tonight.

--
http://lifeandspices.com/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Midnight Conversations : Flash Fiction by rachealfst(f): 1:28pm On May 17, 2018
Nice one ma. It's nice having you around. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Midnight Conversations : Flash Fiction by TMDavidWest(f): 10:58pm On May 17, 2018
rachealfst:
Nice one ma. It's nice having you around. God bless you.

Thank you grin

(1) (Reply)

The Man, His Pen And His Tummy / 2019 Kindle Story Teller Award (£20,000 Prize Money) / Adventures Of Mikumbi - War God Incarnate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.