Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,812 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP (39157 Views)

Hadi Sirika: Wike Has No Right To Order Arrest Of Pilots / Seyi Makinde: Not A Dime Of Oyo Money Will Go To Lagos, They Have No Right / Awara Biokpomabo: INEC Has No Right To Halt My Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by DedeNkem: 8:23am On May 18, 2018
All talks and no work! Nigerian police is the most incompetent and corrupt in the world.

The only things they're good in are to harrass the public, demand bribes and murder citizens arbitrarily!!
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Adewalefae(m): 8:30am On May 18, 2018
Daboomb:

I think l am just very unlucky because l always pray that l should encounter one of these 'stop & search' my phone SARS team but so far, l have never been lucky! angry angry

My phones (One HTC, One Samsung and one old Iphone) are all passworded and they contain very, very sensitive information, including bank pincodes, passwords, e.t.c.

Infact, my phones are hte most important items l have and l guard them seriously.
I want to see how that SARS officer will force me to enter my Pin codes, to unlock the phone, by force, without a valid warrant.
And he can be sure that he will see a lot of foreign calls on it as my phones are not just for making audio calls but are my own business tool.

I guess they do a sort of 'profiling', based on your appearance or how you speak to them, to decide who to search.

Maybe l will be lucky one day sha.
just dress up go computer village make sure you dress well I repeat dress well your phone must be search
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by tete7000(m): 8:32am On May 18, 2018
Many people are aware of this. The issue is that you often confront police at points where it is safer to let them access the phone than argue with them. You don't want some gang of criminals in police uniform to put incriminating charges against you in a defenceless position. In the long run, it will be their words against your own. Wisdom is profitable, fight only for your right when your back is covered.
Ti owo eni o ba te eku ada, eyan o ki bere iku to pa baba eni. Proverb of the elders.

2 Likes

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by rejoice4eva(m): 8:55am On May 18, 2018
Believe this man at your own peril. Remember he denied saying Leah Sharib will be released, sometimes ago

1 Like

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Nobody: 8:57am On May 18, 2018
Anie007:

That moment you try to snap the police without his knowledge, but you forgot to off your camera's flashlight!!!
Na gbege be that.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Dollabiz: 8:57am On May 18, 2018
ohh
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Nobody: 9:10am On May 18, 2018
All these laws are known but if you want to stay alife don't try to argue with an armed policeman.

1 Like

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Debayokamal(m): 9:21am On May 18, 2018
Omo I have experienced this before, with all my right, them no gree oo, na slap end my own oo, , after showing them and they didn't find anything the stupid people now Said you sef for don show us since naa, oya no vex find us something, I swear I just looked at them like your father....

2 Likes

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by maasoap(m): 9:21am On May 18, 2018
cashlurd:
Virtually everytime I enter Lagos, the Nigeria Police on uniforms and moftis in yellow buses do stop and search me and go ahead to forcefully search through my phone messengers, gallery, whatsapp, email and even facebook. It's a huge harassment. But what can man do? If you counter them, they could shoot u and you would be just one of those Nairaland stories about "man shoot by trigger happy policeman" and in two days, your news would be stale.

So I always let them do whatever they want. Last time, after searching me and the Uber driver along Festac town, they left me and took the uber driver to their station simply because they saw his chat with a foreign number on his phone discussing how to import a car.

Tired of Nigeria I swear!!!

This kind of story always breaks my heart. Sad sad sad!

1 Like

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Jackossky(m): 9:23am On May 18, 2018
tete7000:
Many people are aware of this. The issue is that you often confront police at points where it is safer to let them access the phone than argue with them. You don't want some gang of criminals in police uniform to put incriminating charges against you in a defenceless position. In the long run, it will be their words against your own. Wisdom is profitable, fight only for your right when your back is covered.
Ti owo eni o ba te eku ada, eyan o ki bere iku to pa baba eni. Proverb of the elders.

Jajjaja
Owe eleyi tun lagbara ooo
Iyen ni pe, ti owo Eni o ba le di ada mu daada, ki o ma Bere iku ti o pa baba re nitoripe ti won ba so fun, o le gba ibe ku
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Debayokamal(m): 9:24am On May 18, 2018
adeolaademuluyi:
All these laws are known but if you want to stay alife don't try to argue with an armed policeman.
Guy I totally I agree o, omo I no fit count how many times me and my guys done enter police and sarz matter, and it's because of haircut oo, they will just assume you are a Yahoo boy when they see you on dread, of any style
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Mcalakowe: 9:25am On May 18, 2018
When you are ask to stop for checking as them your own warrants, you will be after to narrate the ordeals easily choi choi
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Samabu07(m): 9:32am On May 18, 2018
Trying not to comply with gun welding police officers has ended a lot of people's lives in Nigeria.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by maasoap(m): 9:35am On May 18, 2018
jaxxy:

We all know why they search these fones. Its because of suspicious elements which is good however there are protocols to follow bt I think there cud be exceptions.

Good? No. Their primary motive is to extort you, simple. Even if you have incriminating messages on your phone, they're still going to free you instead of arresting you once you're able to pay them.
Mind you, they only need to see just one foreign number on your phone or just two email address on your phone to tag you a fraudster and they won't take you to their station. And if do, be assured that your offence will be rewritten for you. Wake up to reality.

Where else in the world do you see police stopping citizens at random and start harassing them by forcefully searching their phones just to blackmail into making them part with their money? Only in Nigeria! Stop supporting every form of oppression in disguise.

If they see just ordinary application that hides stuff on your phone, you're in trouble.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by johnmartus(m): 9:40am On May 18, 2018
grin
talk2percy:
Nonsense, Nigeria is cursed. These things won't work cuz they are still doing it even as I am typing this, they are searching someone's phone and they will either threaten to shoot u, slap u, beat u or lock u up. They should simply stop giving illiterates and criminals uniforms and guns!!! The intimidation and harassment is too much
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by johnmartus(m): 9:43am On May 18, 2018
cheesy that's too far let him go to abiola garden in ojo ta on Sunday morning.
Adewalefae:
just dress up go computer village make sure you dress well I repeat dress well your phone must be search
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Aduke4alani: 9:43am On May 18, 2018
They have right to search some one phone ,, I can't blame them even their IG self don't no how to express him self!!!!
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Temple1288(m): 9:45am On May 18, 2018
SamuelAnyawu:
Owerri Police and Phone Search na 5 and 6

Senator Samuel Anyanwu aka SamDaddy my Incoming Governor. Respect Sir

God Bless PDP cool

APC Imo must die by Fire grin

*brb let me call the IG of Police to verify if these tweets were transmitted from the force headquarters either by omission or comission*

Shut up! Taking away one fraudster (Rochas Okorocha) and putting in another fraudster Samuel Anyanwu (SamDaddy)

How much did he offer you?
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Kenog4real(m): 9:45am On May 18, 2018
Those numbers are long abeg.....
Cant they gt just three digit number... B4 one start typing 080, person for don die na.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by dview001(m): 9:45am On May 18, 2018
debolayinka:
Same way it's illegal for them to demand egunje after the search.
in a saner clime the police officer below (the one used as meme) will be identified and prosecuted
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by jaxxy(m): 9:47am On May 18, 2018
maasoap:

Good? No. Their primary motive is to extort you, simple. Even if you have incriminating messages on your phone, they're still going to free you instead of arresting you once you're able to pay them.
Mind you, they only need to see just one foreign number on your phone or just two email address on your phone to tag you a fraudster and they won't take you to their station. And if do, be assured that your offence will be rewritten for you. Wake up to reality.

Where else in the world do you see police stopping citizens at random and start harassing them by forcefully searching their phones just to blackmail into making them part with their money? Only in Nigeria! Stop supporting every form of oppression in disguise.

If they see just ordinary application that hides stuff on your phone, you're in trouble.

Ure right its majorly to extort. I don't support harassing either.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by anyachukwu: 9:51am On May 18, 2018
It really embarrassing for police shaching my phone....i don't think it ideal for them to do that
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by ABSTRUSE: 10:39am On May 18, 2018
And what law or court judgment says the Police must have a Search Warrant before they can search your phone?

I want to learn...

Anybody?
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by chukzyfcbb: 11:06am On May 18, 2018
Daboomb:

I think l am just very unlucky because l always pray that l should encounter one of these 'stop & search' my phone SARS team but so far, l have never been lucky! angry angry

My phones (One HTC, One Samsung and one old Iphone) are all passworded and they contain very, very sensitive information, including bank pincodes, passwords, e.t.c.

Infact, my phones are hte most important items l have and l guard them seriously.
I want to see how that SARS officer will force me to enter my Pin codes, to unlock the phone, by force, without a valid warrant.
And he can be sure that he will see a lot of foreign calls on it as my phones are not just for making audio calls but are my own business tool.

I guess they do a sort of 'profiling', based on your appearance or how you speak to them, to decide who to search.

Maybe l will be lucky one day sha.
Drive come Festac! Them go even search your lappy sometimes. If you carry Dada, your own don be smiley lol
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by chukzyfcbb: 11:15am On May 18, 2018
maasoap:

lool not always bro.

sometimes you need to comport yourself and cooperate. I have quite a number of foreign numbers I got from various WhatsApp study group I am in. and I haven't been asked before how I got them.

Most people have VPN on their phone, will you now say SARS will arrest one because he has the VPN app? it's all bout how you present yourself.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by fineboynl(m): 11:15am On May 18, 2018
the truth of the matter is sars are not after crime prevention. they are only after the money. their reason for harassing you is to extort money from you. they will never take you to station although they will threaten to take you to the station and lock you up or shot you with their gun just to install fear on you.

everyday these guys make a lot of money from harassing and extorting the public which they use to drink beer and carry women.

they dont even know how to detect a yahoo boy. the only thing they need to tag you a yahoo boy is any foreign number, app or any white person photo on your phone.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by franka19: 11:18am On May 18, 2018
IG, that is a story for the gods. A fully armed SARS officer who is confronting a weak man with no weapon, how dear he refuse him to search hi/her phone? It is not with the kind of SARS officers who are much like deadly armed robbers than the normal robbers who are supposed to be now known as friends to the poor, would a person refuse to submit to their demand to search the phone.

SARS officials intimidate the public while armed by the government. IG can be in his office and issue order or say anything to Nigerians, but those officers of SARS are only known for violence, intimidation and robbery. Anyone, armed while intimidating an innocent person is nothing but a robber and that is what SARS officers/most police officers who also act like them. How can a sane officers hire a bus and be moving around and be arresting people, searching their phone to make sure that the person is implicated by force and extorting money from that person. Are those officers not armed robbers?

Look at the deadly robbery attack at Ofa, Kwara state where banks were robbed and innocent people and inclusive of police officers who were in their office were among the dead, at the end, the news came up that some dismissed police officer/s were involved. No deadly robbery operation that a serving or dismissed police officer is not involved.Too bad for this country.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Catastrophe1: 12:06pm On May 18, 2018
I won't narrate my experience with those mofos. Last time I was home,
But the society that we abuse today will definitely fightback tomorrow.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Sluvist(m): 12:21pm On May 18, 2018
All these laws have been there for long but not effective.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by tete7000(m): 12:57pm On May 18, 2018
Jackossky:

Jajjaja
Owe eleyi tun lagbara ooo
Iyen ni pe, ti owo Eni o ba le di ada mu daada, ki o ma Bere iku ti o pa baba re nitoripe ti won ba so fun, o le gba ibe ku

You don't challenge people when you don't have what it takes to handle the consequence. Consequence e le gbemi eni.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eko Rice: Largest Rice Mill In Nigeria Begins Bagging In Lagos / Okonjo-iweala Is Favourite As WTO Narrows Aspirants To 2 Tuesday / Sit-At-Home: IPOB Storms Catholic Church In Onitsha, Disperses Worshipers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.