Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,672 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way (1194 Views)

Dele Momodu Writes Buhari, Says Nigerians Are Lamenting / Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” / See Apc's Clever Response To GEJ'S Joke About Buhari Not Knowing His Phone No (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by bigdoo: 9:43am On May 25, 2010
I learnt that very recently Nigerian businessmen living in Ghana were asked by the relevant Ghanaian authorities to stop their business operations unless every business pays the sum of $300,000.00 (three hundred thousand US dollars). This seems to be in retaliation to the “Ghana Must Go” syndrome, which sent most Ghanaians packing from Nigeria in the 1980s. I have interacted with a lot of Ghanaians and am aware that they still bear a lot of grudges for the treatment meted to them by the Nigerian government in the 1980s when they were sent home. I know very well that most Ghanaians hate Nigerians with a passion.

However Ghanaian government is not foolish and instead of just telling the Nigerians resident in their country to back to Nigeria without paying for the sins of their parents, they used a very clever tactic to create misery and frustration for Nigerians. It is a “Chop and quench” situation. If you guys like to stay in Ghana, then you have to pay through your nose. Can you imagine what $300,000.00 would do for you? It is almost equivalent to £200,000.00 or about N450,000,000.00 (four hundred and fifty million naira. Is that not a smart move on the part of Ghanaians and better still a slap on the face of all Nigerians and the Nigerian government?

Come to think about, who are Ghanaians to bluff Nigerian if not that their economic, social, educational and political systems are working far better than what we experience in Nigeria? Nigerians out of frustration are willing to seek greener pastures in countries which should be worshipping the Nigerian soil? It is a real shame that Nigerian government has created a situation which gives room for Nigerians to be treated as pests and impostors wherever we go. Ghana with far less resources than Nigeria stands tall in the global scene and commands the respect of world leaders while Nigeria continues to be a mockery of what we claim to be “Giant of Africa”. What we are experiencing from Ghana right now is only a tip of the iceberg; we should wait for them to start getting revenues from sale of their crude oil. By then Nigeria would become the “Ant of Africa”. Let’s just wait and see.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by erniewhez(m): 10:42am On May 25, 2010
bigdoo, I cant stop laughing when i saw tht "GIANT OF AFRICA" slogan. See, we have long ago lost that pride. Maybe "GIANT " in population, in corruption, in rigging, in failure.

Now to your point, we keep blaming the govt for everything, knowing quite well the definition of GOVERNMENT. Its the people that makes the gvt. YOU & I. We are the cause of our predicament, we are the architect of our failure, we are the cowards tht will rather run from the cow than make meat of it.

Abiola's June12 manipulation was the first tym I will see Nigerians ever making attempt to fight for their right and what was the result, "MASSACRE" and what was the response, "WITHDRAWAL" and what was the result "FAILURE".

SOLUTION:
1) We start by making sure we have the "ELECTED" in our public offices and govt post, not the "APPOINTED" or the "ENFORCED" which are results of rigging elections. So we should stop the rigging issue by making sure each and every one of us come out to vote the right person, where there is vast diff of votes, rigging bcomes very visible and tht was wht happened to June12. There was an overwhelming vote diff btwn Abiola and Tofa. Where rigging taks place we shld refuse the result with every tool we can use to fight it democratically and legally, otherwise we use force and warfare. We are too coward. Yet we die everyday due the things we shld have fought tht came back to hunt us. i.e:
- if we had fpught NEPA issue, so many pple wnt have died of generator fumes, and most biz wld not have relocated to ghana.
- if we had fought POOR PROPERTY STRUCTURES especially developer houses, many wont have died under collapsed structures,
- if we had fought POOR medical facilities, so many casualties wld not have ended corpses,
- if we had fought for DEMOCRACY, we wont be so poor to have to flee our motherland. The politicians has made the electorate poor through their stealing of public fund.

GHANA is what it is today becos Jerry Rawlings assasinated the cankerworms called politicians, same worms we have here today and we worship them. Take their monies and vote them in, only for you to pay through your nose.
THAINK ABOUT THESE FELLAS!
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by londoner: 10:51am On May 25, 2010
@bigdoo, the rules in Ghana do not ONLY apply to Nigerian businesses, but ALL foreign business, so to come here and report in a way that it suggests its a partiular rule for Nigerians is mischievious.

If Nigerians can not obey this new law/rule, they should simply move to another country or look back to Nigeria.
I was on a Ghanaian website and there was a guy from India who said he and other Indian businessmen are leaving Ghana because the government is making the atmosphere difficult for small and medium business owners.

Ghana is not the only place on the continent that has a good business environment and near constant electricity. Let Nigerians try another country.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by dustydee: 11:25am On May 25, 2010
If you cannot comply,please leave. I know it is repressive and those that will suffer the most are Ghanians, ordinary Ghanians.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by otokx(m): 11:43am On May 25, 2010
Am not so sure on this one.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by yeswecan(m): 12:17pm On May 25, 2010
I do not think there is anything wrong if the government of Ghana decide to introduce measures of protecting her business environment. The only issue to me is the ECOWAS treaty . . this provision goes against an article in the ECOWAS agreement,  but which is more important Ghana govt? Protecting her citizens or adhering to the Ecowas treaty .
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by hardywaltz(m): 12:37pm On May 25, 2010
@ OP, the last i checked $ 300k is equivalent  to N45m not N450m.
GI-ant of Africa, lets hope the Ghanaians don't self destruct their own economy.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by Fhemmmy: 1:17pm On May 25, 2010
This is no more news, it has been for like almost a year now and i am sure almost any other country will do this to protect their citizens.
However, it is African now, and i am sure they will find ways around it.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by snowdrops(m): 1:35pm On May 25, 2010
hardywaltz:

@ OP, the last i checked $ 300k is equivalent to N45m not N450m.
GI-ant of Africa, lets hope the Ghanaians don't self destruct their own economy.
My exact sentiments.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by udezue(m): 1:51pm On May 25, 2010
Odikwa egwu!!!!
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by Sagamite(m): 2:03pm On May 25, 2010
londoner:

@bigdoo, the rules in Ghana do not ONLY apply to Nigerian businesses, but ALL foreign business, so to come here and report in a way that it suggests its a partiular rule for Nigerians is mischievious.

Don't mind the retard.

This is what I was about to ask him. The way he phrased it like some attack on Nigerians. Utter slowpoke!

One of those demagogues that destroy society.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by wazobia200: 2:37pm On May 25, 2010
How is this going to help Ghana?. Methinks competition is healthy and these companies are paying their taxes.

Very bad move by the ghanaian government. Their economy will soon self destruct.

All those businesses leaving can come and invest in lagos and other states in nigeria.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by asha80(m): 2:49pm On May 25, 2010
wazobia200:

How is this going to help Ghana?. Methinks competition is healthy and these companies are paying their taxes.

Very bad move by the ghanaian government. Their economy will soon self destruct.

All those businesses leaving can come and invest in lagos and other states in nigeria.

What infrastructure have you put in place to attract them Do you think they would have gone to ghana in the first place if the infrastructures where here
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by erniewhez(m): 3:04pm On May 25, 2010
F.G. is planning to allow states generate their own power, power is the basic thing that made most Nigerians to flee to Ghana. Lagos is doing fine with strategic planning and I believe once lagos is allowed to generate her own power the city will be attractive to investors.
Re: Ghana Says Nigerians Must Go But In A More Clever Way by bigdoo: 6:41pm On May 25, 2010
hardywaltz,

Thanks for the correction, $300.000.00 is about N45million naira and not N450 million quoted in my post. It was an error. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki - I Can Never Be A Surrogate For Anybody / Editorial: An Unbaised Look At Philips Emeagwali / Message for Maimalari: Cattle-rearing Fulani Chased Out Of Southern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.