Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Do We Still Respect Our Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do We Still Respect Our Culture? (1855 Views)

10 Reasons To Respect Our Elders... / Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / Was Prostitution Part of Our Culture during The Precolonial Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by Ayenfe(f): 2:32am On Mar 19, 2007
Do we still respect our traditional culture, especially a case whereby a lady is meant to be a virgin until he get married, kneeling down or postrating to the elderly ones?

Can somebody tell me why this practise is not strong as before.
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by Seun(m): 11:15am On Mar 19, 2007
What will we gain by respecting the culture of our less civilised forefathers?

If a lady is a virgin until she gets married, does that guarantee a good marriage with her non-virgin husband?

If we kneel down and prostrate for elderly ones who are tribalistic and intolerant, does that educate them?

A culture is only as important as its usefulness. Any tradition that lack usefulness should be abandoned!
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by mamaput(f): 11:22am On Mar 19, 2007
Ayenfe nothing stops you from doing it.
It suprises me to see some women puring sand into something that women have fought for even died for over the years.
Women are moving on in life but it is women like them that are throwing sticks between their legs to fall them down.
Well hope your family is not large because you will end up spending the day on your knees.
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by akara(m): 11:38am On Mar 19, 2007
grin

@Aynfe

I think there is a difference in culture, tradition and moral values.

In African I will say we still maintain a high level of respect for our elders.

Deciding to live a celibate life till marriage is a personal choice. Many still do.

What we losing is our tradition which we are losing very fast.

grin
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by nigeriana(f): 12:44pm On Mar 19, 2007
I say respect the positive parts of our culture and throw the negative parts into the rubbish bin. Parts like those that maltreat widows, treat women as second class citizens and so on
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by Beline(f): 1:31pm On Mar 19, 2007
kneeling down or prostrating to me doesn't show any respect but pretense and keeping virginity for a dear hubby doesn't guaranty faithfulness and happy home.

i think the only thing that make our tradition and culture to be fading is nothing but the fact that they were destructive not constructive.

I know quite well Ayenfe that you will not support the tradition that demand the wife to drink the water used in bathing her late hubby to prove her innocence in the death of her dear hubby, so what tradition or culture are we talking about?

The good ones are still maintain, for instance OUR DRESSING CODE even in ASO ROCK. So keep to the constructive ones for a better Nigeria
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by abdkabir(m): 2:57am On Mar 20, 2007
Good One @Nigeriana!
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by BlackMamba(m): 6:14pm On Mar 20, 2007
In my world you have no option but to submit and respect the ways of our ancestors. Any violation, willful or not is met with severe penalty. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by Seun(m): 7:04pm On Mar 20, 2007
Let's be honest, even the most stubbornly out-of-date traditionalist cannot follow all the practices of his ancestors. Our ancestors were just like us in terms of diversity: they did not all practice the same traditions!
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by 9ja4eva: 8:34pm On Mar 20, 2007
@ Nigeriana

Good post.
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by sunrise(f): 1:55am On Mar 21, 2007
Traditions will change, time by time a bit.

But what is important for us ? This traditions we should keep.
I think everybody has to decide by him- or herself.
But see that often others are deciding for,
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by Tobiegal(f): 12:53pm On Mar 21, 2007
nigeriana:

I say respect the positive parts of our culture and throw the negative parts into the rubbish bin.

Dats al we need to do.
U've said it al! cool
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by 9ja4eva: 6:46am On Mar 22, 2007
Yeap well said.
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by Seun(m): 9:12am On Mar 22, 2007
How do we determine the positive parts of our culture?
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by 9ja4eva: 9:39am On Mar 22, 2007
The ones dt do not mean bad.I really do not knw but i tink its something u cn figure out.
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by Seun(m): 7:46pm On Mar 22, 2007
How do you figure out the ones that are not bad? This is like saying, "ignore the ones you don't like"
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by 9ja4eva: 4:05am On Mar 23, 2007
Honestly i really do not know but den i tink its something dt can be figured out.K say like what Widows pass thru?Normally i dont tink dts right u know.DO u get?Dt kain scenario.
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by Deji1010(m): 5:09am On Mar 29, 2008
patriotic aside, our culture is the most oldly fashion without mordern improvement
our culture begins from birth,upbrings,schooling,job,marriage,poor roads that has been existing PRIOR AND DURING AWO,ZIK,AHMADU BELLO,electricity,water system,e.t.c
or is it juju that cannot consruct a bicycle, bridge,dam,plane,train jet busand co.But the culture can ask a widow to stay with a dead husband 4 how many days? and washing and drinking the dead bath water or casting evil spell on a promising someone in a family.
Adviceable 4 us to look into how soon will embrace developmental culture not arcace types.
KINDLY READ 'IS ABUSE PART OF OUR CULTURE'in nairaland and you got to understand where nigeria culture begins 4rm i.e MOUTH
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by tamme: 12:51am On Jul 15, 2009
most dont
Re: Do We Still Respect Our Culture? by Ybutterfly: 9:49pm On Jul 27, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^NOOOOO^^^^^^^^

(1) (Reply)

Is This Culture????? / How Argentina 'Eliminated' Africans From Its History And Conscience / Woman Poses Completely Unclad With Her son (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.