Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,999 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos (81264 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by SniperSmurf(m): 10:42am On May 20, 2018
The guy done watch Bleck Painter
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by jessicaodigie00(f): 10:43am On May 20, 2018
kiss
humblenature:
lipsrsealed

"The greatest fraud/theft the world has ever know was perpetrated by the romans and the British"

Pls Britain, bring back all our stolen artifacts. You are still keeping thousands of them.

Is it your own?. Ehn answer me?

You took us slavery, took our territory and now you give us freedom. True Freedom is not given.

If we are free then why are you still stealing from us?... Why can't you leave us alone?

Must we be gay like you?.. Is it by force? You also want to steal our morality?

Please you have your own sculptors.. Pls return our piece of art before I.......
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 10:43am On May 20, 2018
Xisnin:
They weren't stolen, they were war booties and with all booties, the winner takes all.
If taken war booties was a crime then Benin kingdom is guilty for taking same from their
weaker neighbours while also imposing permanent levies on them.

Truth
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by IyamuBenedict(m): 10:44am On May 20, 2018
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
shocked shocked

Honestly, those artworks look beautiful and adorable in the British Museum.

Nevertheless, anything stolen by a thief no matter its worth, will be worth less in the palace of the thief

Return those art works to Benin and watch them glitter with importance and value

God Almighty Bless you
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by ariesbull: 10:45am On May 20, 2018
It wasn't stolen pls...it was a war booty and that is what it is...thank Lord it's even there...if it was here...we wouldn't have managed it well

Let's be honest....go to Benin musuem today and cry

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by dfrost: 10:45am On May 20, 2018
jboy73:
Yes.
They should be left there.
We can't manage them... If they were in Africa, by now it would have been used as fire food to roast bush meat.

This had got to be the best comment coming from a Nairalander.

cheesy grin. Honestly I don't see us managing those artifacts. Common pothole that we see everyday, we can't manage. Talk more of artifacts that we don't see everyday.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by NdiaraIGBO: 10:46am On May 20, 2018
Sarkin:
Or sold.

IPOB AND CRIMES...

SINCE 1804 THEY HAVE BEEN SELLING THEIR PEOPLE AND EVEN THEMSELVES.

Oga park well.

IPOB and these artifacts are not connected. That part of Nigeria was so primitive and animalistically too savage to produce sophisticated artifacts that were only found in Oyo empire, All over north and Benin.

You dey point to people wey no get king, or governance system of any kind. Obi of Onitcha was created by the British to hide the shame of the hamlet dwellers. You no see as dem dey behave?

Cc Immhotep lzaa

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Edu3Again: 10:48am On May 20, 2018
Sarkin:
Or sold.

IPOB AND CRIMES...

Edo people I hope u can see they count u as IPOB.
When e reach better thing, dem go wan divide us
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by AreaFada2: 10:49am On May 20, 2018
godfatherx:
Was it stolen or made a gift by the Oba of Benin?
I'm sure the Oba in council are aware of the presence of those artifacts at the museum. Do some background check before crying wolf.

Did you even take time to read OP's post about 1897 punitive expedition that burnt down & destroyed much of Benin by the British?

Even statues called "Elgin Marbles" taken by the British from Greece are in that same museum. Like Greece, Benin has been asking for return of the looted artifacts for over 100 years. Britain have only made very few "kind gesture" returns since.

In fact looted artifacts from around the world make up the bulk of artifacts in that museum. Including from Egypt/Middle East, Asia, Africa, the Pacific/Oceania, etc.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by erico2k2(m): 10:50am On May 20, 2018
ariesbull:
It wasn't stolen pls...it was a war booty and that is what it is...thank Lord it's even there...if it was here...we wouldn't have managed it well

Let's be honest....go to Benin musuem today and cry
What war plz
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by erico2k2(m): 10:54am On May 20, 2018
NdiaraIGBO:

Oga park well.

IPOB and these artifacts are not connected. That part of Nigeria was so primitive and animalistically too savage to produce sophisticated artifacts that were only found in Oyo empire, All over north and Benin.

You dey point to people wey no get king, or governance system of any kind. Obi of Onitcha was created by the British to hide the shame of the hamlet dwellers. You no see as dem dey behave?

Cc Immhotep lzaa
DId you do Social Sturdies in JSS3?if U did you would have been taught the various kingdoms in West Africa and how they had their own Rules and Laws B4 the British came. Ofcos the Igbos had their own kingdoms and trade arrangement, Igbo is just like Yoruba and Hausa and Fulanis.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by musicwriter(m): 10:54am On May 20, 2018
erico2k2:

exactly, this is very well documented here. however it should be noted that these where not stolen by the British govt but private merchants who sailed across the world. The came back the GB with whatever the find and sell to the man on the streets back then. If you refuse to hand over you get shot. Same tactic the Germans used against eh Jews in terms of their paintings etc!

The different European countries commissioned and funded what was called ''chartered companies'' to do the dirty jobs for them.

Chartered companies were companies that received certain rights and privileges under a special charter issued by the sovereign of a European state. This charter usually gave the company a nationally recognized trading monopoly for a specific geographic area and for specific trade items, and the right to use force to open and maintain trade. Dominant in the 17th and 18th centuries during the era of the ”scramble for Africa''. The nationally funded chartered companies were indispensable tools for the opening of Africa to European commercial and imperial ambition.

So, Britain was the one stealing.

See Chattered companies, how Europe laid the foundation for poverty in Africa http://www.africason.com/2017/11/how-western-nations-laid-foundation-for.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by erico2k2(m): 10:55am On May 20, 2018
dfrost:

This had got to be the best comment coming from a Nairalander.

cheesy grin. Honestly I don't see us managing those artifacts. Common pothole that we see everyday, we can't manage. Talk more of artifacts that we don't see everyday.
Wont it be nice if rent is paid on them? DO you know how much the British make from them being displayed??
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by OneKinGuy(m): 10:56am On May 20, 2018
freeDR:

You spoke from a place of ignorance.
You are a blind fellow for not seeing that i was being sarcastic undecided tongue
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Alphasoar(m): 10:57am On May 20, 2018
When they return it, will you people use it to cook soup?

Abeg somebody should just epp us to transmit this people that have been trying to confuse us to Pluto...

undecided undecided undecided embarassed
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by LZAA: 10:58am On May 20, 2018
NdiaraIGBO:

Oga park well.

Cc Immhotep lzaa
Dosunmu and Afonja sold u to the caliphate for life yet na igbo matter dy worry u grin grin
cc iceberg3 pointzerom immhotep

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by erico2k2(m): 10:59am On May 20, 2018
musicwriter:

The different European countries commissioned and funded what was called ''chartered companies'' to do the dirty jobs for them.

Chartered companies were companies that received certain rights and privileges under a special charter issued by the sovereign of a European state. This charter usually gave the company a nationally recognized trading monopoly for a specific geographic area and for specific trade items, and the right to use force to open and maintain trade. Dominant in the 17th and 18th centuries during the era of the ”scramble for Africa''. The nationally funded chartered companies were indispensable tools for the opening of Africa to European commercial and imperial ambition.

So, Britain was the one stealing.

See Chattered companies, how Europe laid the foundation for poverty in Africa http://www.africason.com/2017/11/how-western-nations-laid-foundation-for.html
yeah I get that, I was only going by what can be proven in a court of law. If you check you will agree with me these where for trae purposes not to steal but as you know it the heart of man is wicked, they looted, raped and stole.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Mrchippychappy(m): 11:00am On May 20, 2018
humblenature:
lipsrsealed

"The greatest fraud/theft the world has ever know was perpetrated by the romans and the British"

Pls Britain, bring back all our stolen artifacts. You are still keeping thousands of them.

Is it your own?. Ehn answer me?

You took us slavery, took our territory and now you give us freedom. True Freedom is not given.

If we are free then why are you still stealing from us?... Why can't you leave us alone?

Must we be gay like you?.. Is it by force? You also want to steal our morality?

Please you have your own sculptors.. Pls return our piece of art before I.......

My brother God bless you, at least you are one of the few that can still reason properly. This thread shows that truly Nigerian youths are uneducated, lazy and doomed. How can people possible suggest that the British keep the loot that they stole from the Benin empire? historic artifacts that the British empire stole from Africa, our rich cultural heritage was destroyed and re-written by the same British who went about peddling lies that Sub Sahara Africa had absolutely no form of civilization and yet you want them to keep hiding artifacts that show that we did have some form of civilization! do some of you even listen to yourselves before you comment? are these comments just for laughs or are these actually your views on this issue? and to think that these ignorant posts are accumulating the highest number of likes on this thread, God save Nigeria and its youths. Nigerian youths abeg forget Big brother, Davido, Chioma, Wizkid, Instagram and get an education.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Printerscanner: 11:00am On May 20, 2018
OneKinGuy:
Returning it back to Nigeria will just add more spiritual problems for us. Lets just leave it there for the time being undecided

Is it creating problems for the British?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by realmindz: 11:03am On May 20, 2018
Artifacts has a surprising way of reminding a people of their heritage....the heritage is lost, religion has completed the job to lose Africans of their histories forever...ignorant blacks even see their ancestors and heritage as demonic

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Mrchippychappy(m): 11:03am On May 20, 2018
Printerscanner:

Is it creating problems for the British?

My brother abeg ask the donkeys, I am disappointed at what I have seen on this thread today, truly the future is doomed. When youths can't contribute to topics concerning the past and possibly future of Africa, all our youths know is showbiz and entertainment and sex. I am truly disappointed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by NdiaraIGBO: 11:03am On May 20, 2018
erico2k2:

DId you do Social Sturdies in JSS3?if U did you would have been taught the various kingdoms in West Africa and how they had their own Rules and Laws B4 the British came. Ofcos the Igbos had their own kingdoms and trade arrangement, Igbo is just like Yoruba and Hausa and Fulanis.

Lies from hell!!!!
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Ade3000yrs(m): 11:04am On May 20, 2018
are you guy going back to d stone age or what? all these nonsense are nothing but art craft. i can make 200,000 of something similar if commissioned. what we need is technological aides and advancement exhibition, IT, industrial and Warcrafts like you have in the USA, China, Russia and Japan. Who cares about counter productive art work in this civilized and modern age? we should be talking technology and not all this useless art work as a misplacement of priority.

"To me this is a misinformation of the transmission of the ambitiousness and missionlessness of the confusion in our nation." May all these art junks wrath away with the white man.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Pat081: 11:05am On May 20, 2018
D person who sell it will b in money by now n who knows maybe is ur g ....................r or ur o................a no b mi talk am oooooooooooo
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by realmindz: 11:05am On May 20, 2018
Artifacts has a surprising way of reminding a people of their heritage....the heritage is lost, religion has completed the job to lose Africans of their histories forever...ignorant blacks even see their ancestors and heritage as demonic .

They came to us and gave us books to Read, while we read, they stole our land

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 11:06am On May 20, 2018
Let them keep them. Each of those artifacts worth millions of Euro. Release it to Naija and they start missing from our collections.

Maintenance Culture here is Zero. Can we give them such world class care they are given there.

I love my country but our leaders suck.

Keep them for us till we have good reasonable Leaders who are sincere and Focused.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by grandstar(m): 11:06am On May 20, 2018
godfatherx:
Was it stolen or made a gift by the Oba of Benin?
I'm sure the Oba in council are aware of the presence of those artifacts at the museum. Do some background check before crying wolf.

They were stolen during the punitive expedition.

Never, ever mention it was gifted. It akin to assuming Nigeria gained independence is 1990.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by realmindz: 11:06am On May 20, 2018
Ade3000yrs:
are you guy going back to d stone age or what? all these nonsense are nothing but art craft. i can make 200,000 of something similar if commissioned. what we need is technological aides and advancement exhibition, IT, industrial and Warcrafts like you have in the USA, China, Russia and Japan. Who cares about counter productive art work in this civilized and modern age? we should be talking technology and not all this useless art work as a misplacement of priority.

"To me this is a misinformation of the transmission of the ambitiousness and missionlessness of the confusion in our nation." May all these art junks wrath away with the white man.
Then why are they keeping them? They should simply return them
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by erico2k2(m): 11:07am On May 20, 2018
NdiaraIGBO:

Lies from hell!!!!
kia so no Social sturdies sad sad sad shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by erico2k2(m): 11:08am On May 20, 2018
tamethem:
Let them keep them. Each of those artifacts worth millions of Euro. Release it to Naija and they start missing from our collections.

Maintenance Culture here is Zero. Can we give them such world class care they are given there

I love my country but our leaders suck.

Keep them for us till we have good reasonable Leaders who are sincere and Focused.
Speak of what you know, go to the Oba of Benin's Palace and see for yourself!
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by ceejay80s(m): 11:09am On May 20, 2018
Sarkin:
Or sold.
IPOB AND CRIMES...
point of correction, Benin na afonja, the have oba and not igwe, which pry sch u go sef undecided
Sarkin:
Or sold.
IPOB AND CRIMES...
point of correction, Benin na afonja, the have oba and not igwe, which pry sch u go sef
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:11am On May 20, 2018
OneKinGuy:
Returning it back to Nigeria will just add more spiritual problems for us. Lets just leave it there for the time being undecided

stfu you dumb jew worshipper

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ancient Igbo Pyramids: The Nsude Pyramids / Aminu Sanusi Lamido Becomes A Police Officer (Photos) / Can You Count From One To A Thousand In Your Local Dialect ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.