Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,752 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos (81316 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Patrick33(m): 8:20am On May 23, 2018
Spartacuslastman:

i think the hype came from that stupid marvel
lol you be DC fan?
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Spartacuslastman(m): 8:45am On May 23, 2018
Patrick33:
lol you be DC fan?
i be marvel fan but i was expecting something more fantastic than black panther i thought the film will be more enjoyable than captain America or wonder woman
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Patrick33(m): 8:48am On May 23, 2018
Spartacuslastman:

i be marvel fan but i was expecting something more fantastic than black panther i thought the film will be more enjoyable than captain America or wonder woman
it was a sub standard movie just the hype served it well at box office...Not on the level of Winter soldier tho...thats the best marvel flick for me. smiley
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Spartacuslastman(m): 2:35pm On May 23, 2018
Patrick33:
it was a sub standard movie just the hype served it well at box office...Not on the level of Winter soldier tho...thats the best marvel flick for me. smiley

but he fought very well on captain America civil war more than how he fought on black panther. Black panther is not even on the level of Thor ragnarok talkless of winter soldier over hype poo
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Ddy(m): 2:19pm On Jun 27, 2018
HtwoOw:

I am me ,
U are Owl
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Immorttal: 8:26am On Jun 28, 2018
They brainwashed us by telling us these artifacts were demonic, gave us the Bible and now making money off our treasure while we are still clutching the Bible so tight. cry
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Ayobami7(m): 11:52am On Nov 11, 2018
this is my comment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by XAUBulls: 5:37pm On Dec 18, 2023
dainformant:
A Nigerian man visited the British Museum to request that the Benin kingdom artifacts which were allegedly stolen since the 1980's, be returned. The entrepreneur and philanthropist, Ambassador Dion Osagie from Edo state - revealed that his visit to the museum on the quest of recovering the items was worth more than anything to him.

The British museum boasts the second largest collection of art from the Benin kingdom after the Ethnological Museum in Berlin.

It has been reported that the British Museum will host a summit along with other European museums to discuss the return of bronze artifacts looted in 1897 from the kingdom of Benin, now southern Nigeria. It will conduct negotiations with Nigeria and Benin about returning the items which are expected to go on permanent display in Benin City.

In the late 19th century, Britain sought to wipe out the kingdom of Benin in what became known as the “punitive expedition.” When Oba Ovonramwen, then ruler of Benin, imposed customs duties on goods leaving the territory, Britain sent 1,200 soldiers to destroy the kingdom as a form of reparations for the colonial power.

The city was set on fire and hundreds of trinkets, bronze sculptures, and valuables were stolen and later handed to the British government. Through trade and art dealership, these artifacts have mostly ended up in Germany and the United States.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/05/stolen-benin-kingdom-artifacts-spotted-at-a-british-museum.html
Bump.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Aminu Sanusi Lamido Becomes A Police Officer (Photos) / Can You Count From One To A Thousand In Your Local Dialect ? / Ancient Igbo Pyramids: The Nsude Pyramids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.