Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,504 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Gravity, And Its Effects: - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Gravity, And Its Effects: (2859 Views)

What If There Was No Gravity ??? / Devaluation And Its Economic Effects - Nigeria As A Case Study / The Effects Of ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gravity, And Its Effects: by Master6(m): 7:26pm On May 25, 2010
To my fellow science colleagues, I was thinking about the effects of gravity on the acceleration of bodies on earth. If Newton's law of gravitational attraction was correct, then the force (mass x acceleration) should be dependent completely on the product of the masses and distance between two bodies in isolated space, then logically, the stone should land before the feather. Since the stone, with high mass (relatively speaking), will produce a greater force when placed at the same distance with the feather than the feather would, and then its mass x acceleration all over again. But strangely this isn't so, why?
Re: Gravity, And Its Effects: by SLIGHT(m): 8:35pm On May 25, 2010
Acceleration due to gravity in a place is the same for all bodies.Basically, the stone lands b4 d feather because its weight and shape overcomes  air resistance faster.Due to the surface area of the feather it experiences greater air resistance,which slows it down.if u release 2 bals weighing 5N and 10N from the same height at once, they will land at the same time .in the absence of air resistance(i.e in a vacuum) all bodies land at the same time no matter their weight there fore a feather and stone will land at thesame time in a vacuum[no air resistance]. Hope u r ok
Re: Gravity, And Its Effects: by Master6(m): 9:58pm On May 25, 2010
Sorry, guy, the feather and the stone are just an illustration, If you understand my earlier statement, you would understand that what I meant was why the 5N should land at the same point in time with the 10N. The known laws dont account for that. Read statement again and if you are having problems with my declarations, feel free to ask. The question is a simple test of wits, I know the answer, and it requires a basic knowledge of Newtonian physics to grasp.
Re: Gravity, And Its Effects: by SLIGHT(m): 6:13am On May 26, 2010
The problem of gravity is one of the fundamentals of physics that has bn solved hundred of years ago, can u tell me ur observation and ur postulation in exact terms
Re: Gravity, And Its Effects: by Master6(m): 9:33am On May 26, 2010
In the hope that you get my proposition, I suggest that for us to conclude that all bodies fall with thesame acceleration, we must recall the first law of Sir Isaac Newton: A body will continue in its state of continual rest of motion unless affected by a force. Now the 5N will start falling with a force, which will in effect mean an increase in its mass will increase (its inertia) due to the force that has acted on it, but the 10N force will also undergo a positive change in inertia as well which is proportional to its force and mass. So the excess inertia will cancel out and the bodies will be forced to fall to the core of the earth with thesame acceleration. i.e with increasing speed comes increasing inertia which means increasing mass, since mass is a measure lof inertia,  grinsmileycool Just know that the more the inertia, the more difficult it is for a force to act on it,
I really do hope you get me,  Post back if you are in need of clarifications,
Re: Gravity, And Its Effects: by SLIGHT(m): 12:04pm On May 26, 2010
Can u state ur postulation in one bold sentence?
Re: Gravity, And Its Effects: by Master6(m): 2:18pm On May 26, 2010
''This idea was first stated explicitly in Newton’s
Principia Mathematica, published in 1687, and is known as Newton’s first law. What happens to a body when a
force does act on it is given by Newton’s second law. This states that the body will accelerate, or change its
speed, at a rate that is proportional to the force. (For example, the acceleration is twice as great if the force is
twice as great.) The acceleration is also smaller the greater the mass (or quantity of matter) of the body. (The
same force acting on a body of twice the mass will produce half the acceleration.) A familiar example is
provided by a car: the more powerful the engine, the greater the acceleration, but the heavier the car, the
smaller the acceleration for the same engine. In addition to his laws of motion, Newton discovered a law to
describe the force of gravity, which states that every body attracts every other body with a force that is
proportional to the mass of each body. Thus the force between two bodies would be twice as strong if one of
the bodies (say, body A) had its mass doubled. This is what you might expect because one could think of the
new body A as being made of two bodies with the original mass. Each would attract body B with the original
force. Thus the total force between A and B would be twice the original force. And if, say, one of the bodies had
twice the mass, and the other had three times the mass, then the force would be six times as strong. One can
now see why all bodies fall at the same rate: a body of twice the weight will have twice the force of gravity
pulling it down, but it will also have twice the mass. According to Newton’s second law, these two effects will
exactly cancel each other, so the acceleration will be the same in all cases.'' from A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Re: Gravity, And Its Effects: by SLIGHT(m): 3:22pm On May 26, 2010
So, whats ur argument against newton's law
Re: Gravity, And Its Effects: by Master6(m): 4:04pm On May 26, 2010
What I only wanted to test was average Nigerians ability to think outside the box.

(1) (Reply)

Your Expectations From ASUU Meeting With F.g Today / Have You Seen This Certificate Issued By Facebook To It Users (Photo) / The Greatest Prison On Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.