Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

The Wise Uber Driver - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Wise Uber Driver (349 Views)

Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations / Confessions Of A Uber Taxi Driver / The Wise Old Hermit! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Wise Uber Driver by kunlesehan(m): 9:24pm On May 22, 2018
And my friend sent an Uber to pick me up to have dinner with her and family.

She lives out in the suburbs.

A village.

The Uber driver was bliss.

His name is Hassan.

From Morocco.

A doctor.

He works as an anesthesiologist.

In Paris.

And drives Uber during his time off to make some extra money.

He is single but sends most of his money back to Morocco.

To take care of his parents and his four siblings.

Accommodation, feeding, health and education.

He said.

“When I go back home, I see my younger brothers and sisters living good life. I am very happy that my money is helping. But my brother, the one after me, immediately, he don’t want to work. He sit smoke Shisha and eating. With friends. laughing. looking at girls, morning to night on road. He drives nice car. Which I buy for him by the way. I tell him. Go get work. He tell me. Government of Morocco is bad. No jobs. I say. Drive Uber. He say. Me drive Uber. Are you crazy? Everybody will laugh at me. I tell him. I drive Uber to send you money. He say. Ahhh you are doctor. You are in Paris. You drive Uber. They call you hardworking. Me. I live good here already. I drive Uber here. They say I am crazy. They say I am shit. No. You work. Send money. We live good. All is for your honour. They look at us as rich family in Morocco. They look at you as big man. But if we work bad jobs here while you are doctor in Paris. They look at you as bad man. They laugh at you. They say you no good to your family. So you see why I no drive Uber or do bad jobs? It is for you. Because I love you.”

I laugh.

He looks at me through the rearview mirror.

“Is like that in Nigeria? In Lagos?”

I nod.

He shrugs.

Sighs.

And says.

“Africa people want to live life that is bigger than their pocket. They always think about what people think. They think only office work is good. Money don't care. Money makes things happen. It don't ask you, how you make me? Tell me before I agree you spend me. But Africa. They don't think like that. They go to farm to harvest when they know they did not plant nothing. It’s crazy. They have big heart but small brain.”

Paris.

From Mr. Jude's collections

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

For He Could Not Die” A Short Story By Michael Inioluwa Oladele / Narrative Poem.......#lust / A Million Sunsets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.