Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week (15945 Views)

Motopay: Sujimoto To Unveil Africa's Largest All-in-one Digital Bank / The Naira/yuan Swap Deal (update) / How Nigeria Will Benefit From Currency Swap Deal With China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by Dolarman(m): 11:23am On May 23, 2018
Gucciboss:

Please disregard the copy and paste man!
Just make your research by yourself.

Why are you so BITTER!!!!!! People like you feel so disgruntled once you read or hear any thing positive about the present dispensation. Learn to appreciate something GOOD and criticize only if its BAD, hence that's the only way we can make progress in this country.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by SIRTee15: 11:37am On May 23, 2018
dryakson:

IN CASE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

I know Most of You don't know the meaning of Nigeria naira/yuan swap with China.. And why American government is desperately smoothing their relationship with Nigeria.

This is a clearer picture of the deal and it's effects on our economy and way of life.

Soon, you may be buying that techno phone you bought at N80,000 for N12, 000 .

The Central Bank of Nigeria have finally signed the currency swap deal we have been expecting for the past 2 years with the Chinese government.

The importance of this is that since almost 70% of the goods we import come from China and Asia and only about a meagre 12% come from America, why must we use Dollars to transact with China?

Thus, with the new deal, instead of using dollars at N350 to 1dollar to import those goods, we can now buy Yuan at 47 naira to 1 Yuan and import those stuffs directly. Therefore, Instead of buying these goods in dollars in China, we will now buy them in Yuan at 5 times cheaper than their dollar rates.

Meanwhile, it should be noted that China is now the highest importer of our crude. This means that our trade with them can be on Naira/Yuan basis.

This is a giant stride that our media needs to disseminate. It's a great achievement by this administration in its effort at repositioning our economy.

This may be a reason why our past selfish leaders may not want Buhari to continue in office to protect their families who are beneficiaries of high forex rate.

Of course, with d new deal, d demand for dollars will nose dive, with an attendant crash in its price.
From tomorrow, try to monitor exchange rate. Some of those guys who hoarded foreign currencies to make gains will off load them in order not to have heart attack over their huge loss arising from the currency swap deal with china.
Dollars and pounds will flood everywhere with no buyers, as the buyers will draw naira from their accounts in banks with presence in China.

Many NIGERIA banks will be seeking to have their representative office in China like first bank who saw to the future and already have office in China.
Inflation will go down drastically because of the price of commodities that will drop.

But yuan against the naira will also rise
Maybe triple than what it is now....
The pressure will simply be transferred from dollar to yuan...
On the long run frustrated importers who can't get their hands on enough yuan will still purchase dollar...
I don't really see any remarkable gain....
Except immunity of our foreign exchange reserve to dollar shock....
Remember CBN will need to start building a yuan reserve to meet the demand...
And I really don't know how cbn will do that unless we begin to sell our oil in yuan....
And selling oil in any other currency apart from dollar is inviting trouble from America.....
Jonathan tried that and all he got was boycott of nigerian crude oil, boko haram insurgence, blocking of arms sales n chibok scam....
American simply frustrated his govt until it collapsed.....
The long term target for naira rise n stability should be diversification of our export....
Thus measure will only result in short term gain due to panic selling n buying....
Right now I heard abokis are desperately trying to dispose the dollars in their hands n are refusing to buy pound/dollar except at below market value....
America fustrated

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by killuminati(m): 11:37am On May 23, 2018
Dolarman:

Why are you so BITTER!!!!!! People like you feel so disgruntled once you read or hear any thing positive about the present dispensation. Learn to appreciate something GOOD and criticize only if its BAD, hence that's the only way we can make progress in this country.
no mind the enemy of progress
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by AngelicBeing: 11:57am On May 23, 2018
dryakson:

I know Most of You don't know the meaning of Nigeria naira/yuan swap with China.. And why American government is desperately smoothing their relationship with Nigeria.

This is a clearer picture of the deal and it's effects on our economy and way of life.

The Central Bank of Nigeria have finally signed the currency swap deal we have been expecting for the past 2 years with the Chinese government.

The importance of this is that since almost 70% of the goods we import come from China and Asia and only about a meagre 12% come from America, why must we use Dollars to transact with China?

Thus, with the new deal, instead of using dollars at N350 to 1dollar to import those goods, we can now buy Yuan at 47 naira to 1 Yuan and import those stuffs directly. Therefore, Instead of buying these goods in dollars in China, we will now buy them in Yuan at 5 times cheaper than their dollar rates.

Meanwhile, it should be noted that China is now the highest importer of our crude. This means that our trade with them can be on Naira/Yuan basis.

This is a giant stride that our media needs to disseminate. It's a great achievement by this administration in its effort at repositioning our economy.

This may be a reason why our past selfish leaders may not want Buhari to continue in office to protect their families who are beneficiaries of high forex rate.

Of course, with d new deal, d demand for dollars will nose dive, with an attendant crash in its price.
From tomorrow, try to monitor exchange rate. Some of those guys who hoarded foreign currencies to make gains will off load them in order not to have heart attack over their huge loss arising from the currency swap deal with china.
Dollars and pounds will flood everywhere with no buyers, as the buyers will draw naira from their accounts in banks with presence in China.

Many NIGERIA banks will be seeking to have their representative office in China like first bank who saw to the future and already have office in China.
Inflation will go down drastically because of the price of commodities that will drop.
cool

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by dryakson(m): 12:09pm On May 23, 2018
SIRTee15:

On the long run frustrated importers who can't get their hands on enough yuan will still purchase dollar...
And I really don't know how cbn will do that unless we begin to sell our oil in yuan....
And selling oil in any other currency apart from dollar is inviting trouble from America.....
Jonathan tried that and all he got was boycott of nigerian crude oil, boko haram insurgence, blocking of arms sales n chibok scam....
The long term target for naira rise n stability should be diversification of our export....
Thus measure will only result in short term gain due to panic selling n buying....
Right now I heard abokis are desperately trying to dispose the dollars in their hands n are refusing to buy pound/dollar except at below market value....
America fustrated
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by CODEEATER(m): 12:11pm On May 23, 2018
People wey de wait to enter aliexpress..m b prepared to b disappointed
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by ClintonDal(m): 12:38pm On May 23, 2018
Isn't this the same Yuan swap deal they celebrated like 2015 abi 2016??
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by Gucciboss: 12:45pm On May 23, 2018
Dolarman:

You must be a dullard that is why you can't read nor comprehend. Pls enrol yourself in any primary school near you.
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by mukthar2000(m): 1:11pm On May 23, 2018
Allihamdulillahi, sai baba nagodee for the great achivement
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by Didi2d(m): 1:17pm On May 23, 2018
Our Igbo brothers will benefit more from this deal...

But trust them ( Igbo brothers) they will still sell to Nigerian on a high rate, claiming they've spent so much on importation
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by gabbie77: 1:26pm On May 23, 2018
cheesy
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by Osgilliat(m): 1:53pm On May 23, 2018
IJOBA2:
I TIRE FOR YORUBA MUSLIMS angry

Which one be Yoruba Muslim again? Yoruba will always be one irrespective of religion, politics or whatever.
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by IJOBA2: 2:01pm On May 23, 2018
Osgilliat:

Which one be Yoruba Muslim again? Yoruba will always be one irrespective of religion, politics or whatever.
https://www.nairaland.com/4520134/ekiti-2018-fayemi-should-pick#67808761
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by APCsupporter: 2:04pm On May 23, 2018
SIRTee15:

America fustrated

The America of today cannot really bring down Nigeria. At least not like the way they have been doing before cos the world is now wiser. Gone are those days when America will support terrorism and still be seen as saints. China won't fold their arms cos its a trade war between the 2 of them. Anyways i don't know much about economics so I can't argue with you on the other issues you raised
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by APCsupporter: 2:06pm On May 23, 2018
Didi2d:
Our Igbo brothers will benefit more from this deal...

But trust them ( Igbo brothers) they will still sell to Nigerian on a high rate, claiming they've spent so much on importation

I pray that they do it. I will go back to my mini importation business and sell my goods at way lower pricescheesy
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by bayulala(m): 2:14pm On May 23, 2018
dryakson:

This just the right sense in the currency swap
Must commend this administration for this great move

1 Like

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by ZeOptimist(m): 2:29pm On May 23, 2018
chisure:
Nigerians and their awkward way of doing things. Why not try DOLLAR
And what's bad in trying the Yuan undecided
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by laydoh(m): 2:51pm On May 23, 2018
guys,pls wat z d benefit of the deal.explain to a lay man.
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by laydoh(m): 2:58pm On May 23, 2018
ritababe:

I hope this is true, can't wait.
seriously,i am overwhelmed with joy at d moment.i just pray it cums to fruition and works.i cant but wonder that this 9ja.
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by Zane2point4(m): 3:07pm On May 23, 2018
Chibuzoc:
Some importers like me will benefit from this grin

pls i never really understand this, pls can you take out a little time to explain how this will help importers, thanks.
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by DabuIIIT: 4:08pm On May 23, 2018
APCsupporter:

I pray that they do it. I will go back to my mini importation business and sell my goods at way lower pricescheesy

so you had a mini importation business that you ABADONED,huh?

Did you abadon it because of govt's bad and retrogressive policies and bad economy?

I bet your arsse you did and are proud cos you are always quick to tell whoever cares to listen to your warped rants that the Igbos do not control any part of the economy.
And again,your small time importation kinikon remains dead until we have a good and working system in place,kachiko?

grin

Lzaa immhotep pointzerom

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by LZAA: 4:11pm On May 23, 2018
DabuIIIT:

Did you abadon it because of govt's bad and retrogressive policies and bad economy?

I bet your arsse you did and are proud cos you are always quick to tell whoever cares to listen to your warped rants that the Igbos do not control any part of the economy.

grin

Lzaa immhotep pointzerom

1 Like

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by Dolarman(m): 4:29pm On May 23, 2018
Gucciboss:

You must be a dullard that is why you can't read nor comprehend. Pls enrol yourself in any primary school near you.

I can see how foolish you are.... Pained FL______T HEAD. The more reason you people cant progress but ride on other peoples hustle to claim cheap glory. Go and have a life online warrior (Children of Hate grin grin grin).
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by PointZerom: 5:07pm On May 23, 2018
DabuIIIT:

And again,your small time importation kinikon remains dead until we have a good and working system in place,kachiko?

grin

Lzaa immhotep pointzerom
LMAO

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by PointZerom: 5:16pm On May 23, 2018
APCsupporter:

Lol, importation of human skulls is prohibited in Niger Area that's why we source it locally in Ogun, Ogbomosho and Oshogbo. Cc Dabulllt Immhotep Lzza

1 Like

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by Toni19: 5:18pm On May 23, 2018
The deal is laden with pitfalls
In a swap deal expected to provide local currency liquidity for both Nigerian and Chinese businessmen, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Peoples Bank of China (PBoC) recently signed an agreement on a transaction valued at Renminbi (RMB) 16 billion, the equivalent of about $2.5bn. Both the CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, and the Director General of the African Affairs Department of China’s foreign ministry, Lin Songtian, spoke glowingly about the deal. “The essence of the mandate is to ensure that Nigeria is designated as the trading hub with China in the West African sub-region for people who want the Renminbi as a currency denomination,” argues Emefiele while Lin contends that the deal “means that the Renminbi (Yuan) is free to flow among different banks in Nigeria and has been included in the foreign reserves of Nigeria.”

For sure, a currency swap deal means that the Chinese Yuan would begin to rank with dollar, Euro and to a little extent, pounds sterling as a second currency in Nigeria. It also means that Nigerian banks can open letters of credit in Yuan instead of the dollar, euro or sterling. Theoretically, this deal will enhance trade between the two countries. From a currency risk management perspective, by including the Yuan in our foreign reserve basket, we reduce the exposure of our foreign reserve to the volatility risk of any single currency, especially the dollar.

Aside the fact that the deal shields Nigerian businessmen from the vagaries of third currency fluctuations, it is now also easier for Chinese manufacturers seeking to buy raw materials from the Nigerian market to obtain naira from Chinese banks to pay for their imports. Many countries now have this kind of agreement with China in what can be described as a win-win situation in an increasingly interdependent global market situation. Notwithstanding, there are genuine fears that Nigeria might still not enjoy the benefits of this deal under the current prevailing environment.

As we stated in an earlier editorial on the issue, there are too many questions left hanging. China has historically been accused by Western nations of artificially weakening the Yuan to encourage export, implying that a weaker Yuan gives China an undue advantage over other stronger currency nations. The converse will also be correct: a weaker Yuan will discourage import of foreign goods into China as their prices would become uncompetitive. Therefore, on this swap deal, will Nigeria also fall prey to a relatively weaker Yuan especially given the current balance of trade in favour of China?

China is a trading partner in the purchase of our crude oil, which is responsible for over 80 per cent of our foreign exchange earnings. If China now pays for that with Yuan, our stock of Yuan increases while our dollar receipts will decrease by the same amount. But the relevant question here is: given the balance of trade between China and Nigeria of over US$14billion and growing, will the Yuan supply gap in Nigeria not imply an upward rate push eventually of the Yuan thus bringing us back to square one? Besides, from where are we going to get enough Yuan to stabilise the naira and keep it strong since that appears to be the main economic objective of the administration?

Put differently, we must do something to earn Yuan except we are borrowing from China and if we borrow, we must pay someday. If we don’t, then we must sell something to China to be able to trade in that currency. The point we are making is that other than oil, we have nothing more to sell to China but we buy so many things from China. Therefore, in implementing the Swap, we hope the authorities will take t

1 Like

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by Chibuzoc(m): 5:33pm On May 23, 2018
Zane2point4:

pls i never really understand this, pls can you take out a little time to explain how this will help importers, thanks.

Instead of using a Chinese agent who normally helps in payment, you will have the opportunity to pay the manufacturers or sellers by yourself if the operate with any nigerian bank presently in China.

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by APCsupporter: 5:39pm On May 23, 2018
PointZerom:
Lol, importation of human skulls is prohibited in Niger Area that's why we source it locally in Ogun, Ogbomosho and Oshogbo. Cc Dabulllt Immhotep Lzza

One thing that I can give credit to igbos for manufacturing is babies from their factories. And so many of their products are on NL cheesy

1 Like

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by APCsupporter: 5:49pm On May 23, 2018
DabuIIIT:

grin

Lzaa immhotep pointzerom

I wonder what you guys smokecheesy

I left mini importation because BETTER opportunities came up elsewhere. I'm not a lazy dependent guy that cries to the govt all the time But that doesn't mean I wouldn't occassionally go back to it for a quick cash when I see opportunities. Ask anybody who is into mini importation whether he lost or made profit when dollars was getting more and more scarce. The igbos don't control any part of the economy other than exports of hard drugs and weedcheesy if they do then mention itgrin
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by DabuIIIT: 6:05pm On May 23, 2018
APCsupporter:

I wonder what you guys smokecheesy

I left mini importation because BETTER opportunities came up elsewhere. I'm not a lazy dependent guy that cries to the govt all the time But that doesn't mean I wouldn't occassionally go back to it for a quick cash when I see opportunities. Ask anybody who is into mini importation whether he lost or made profit when dollars was getting more and more scarce. The igbos don't control any part of the economy other than exports of hard drugs and weedcheesy if they do then mention itgrin

no need to sweat in the arsse to explain,be a man and accept the truth,ur dullarpo yaff rendered yua mini gworro importation bizness comatose. Dollar aint that scarce,its on a high side...you had hoped your President Buhari would fulfil his #1 to $1 campaign promise,gagani ko? grin

Lzaa pointzerom

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by DabuIIIT: 6:09pm On May 23, 2018
APCsupporter:

One thing that I can give credit to igbos for manufacturing is babies from their factories. And so many of their products are on NL cry

the hausa almajiris that litter the entire country,what a they product of?

The north is a curse to 9ja!
Good4nothing.. grin
Re: CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week by APCsupporter: 6:13pm On May 23, 2018
DabuIIIT:

no need to sweat in the arsse to explain,be a man and accept the truth,ur dullarpo yaff rendered yua mini gworro importation bizness comatose. Dollar aint that scarce,its on a high side...you had hoped your President Buhari would fulfil his #1 to $1 campaign promise,gagani ko? grin

Lzaa pointzerom

The hike was only felt by consumers and not importers cos we still made profitsgrin and when the Nigeria-china deal kick-starts The cost will go down. Instead of buying at 320 per dollar it will be somewhere around #60 per yuan so go and crycheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan / Over 30 Taxes Choke Industries In Nigeria As FG Plans 18 More / New proven Method of Importing cheaper Phone/Laptop etc from USA (offerup)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.