Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank (3169 Views)

Diamond Bank Introduces *426# USSD Code For Easy Banking / True Story Of Pensioner Who Was "Chased Away By Diamond Bank Manager" / Woman Loses N572,000 Pension In Her Diamond Bank Account To Fraudsters In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by UzuegbuProsper(m): 10:35pm On May 24, 2018
THE IGBO MAN THAT FOUNDED THE DIAMOND BANK:

Pascal Gabriel Dozie is the founder of Diamond bank PLC. He is a native of Egbu in Owerri and was born In Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria on April 9th, 1939 to Catholic Catechist, Charles Dozie and his wife Janet. He had his Primary Education at Our Lady’s School Emekuku and his Secondary Education at Holy Ghost Juniorate Seminary and Holy Ghost College all in Owerri.

He had degree in Economics from The London School of Economics and a Masters in Administrative Science, specializing in Operational Research and Industrial Engineering from City University in London.

The late Central Bank Governor, Dr. Clement Isong deployed Dozie’s abilities in several studies such as at the then Co-operative and Commerce Bank (CCB). In 1985, he was chairman of Progress Bank which is now defunct.

It was about this time that the awakening began that he could put into practice what he knew and chose to come up with a bank that would be different in more ways than one. In 1985, he applied for a banking license although he had no money, this action was prompted by a desire to help traders from the remote villages in the South-east of the Nigeria, where he grew up as they were facing the problem of carrying huge bundles of cash when they travel to Lagos for business and were Sometimes waylaid by rogues on the road. So he devised a means by which traders transferred money via electronic means instead of carrying it.

The share capital for the bank was ₦10 million and shareholding should cover two-thirds of the country. He got 21 people who indicated interest and submitted it to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). But before he could collect and remit the money from the intending shareholders to the CBN the capital was increased to ₦20 million and while he was trying to figure out how to get the additional ₦10 million some of the people who showed interest started withdrawing. It was in 1990 that he fulfilled the CBN terms and in 1991 Diamond Bank went into operations. The bank now have over 2 trillion naira in assets.

That tradition of a strong, knowledgeable board has been sustained and has led to the emergence of Diamond Bank Nigeria Plc as one of the top 10 banks in Nigeria and dually listed on the London Stock Exchange and Nigeria Stock Exchange. He is currently the Chairman of MTN Nigeria and a founding partner of Africa Capital Alliance, the first Nigerian private equity fund manager.

Pascal met his wife Chinyere Dozie at a wedding in London and they became friends, a friendship which led to marriage. They did their Registry and Church wedding in 1968 and 1969 respectively.

They have 5 children Uzoma, Kelechi, Chikezie, Chijioke and Ngozi, He also has more than 10 grandchildren. His first son Uzoma Dozie is currently the CEO of Diamond Bank. Pascal Dozie is still alive and healthy. TODAY IS NOT HIS BIRTHDAY
#LetUsCelebrateOurHeroes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by Donald95(m): 10:45pm On May 24, 2018
Have you seen step by step way of making money. Not some criminal that collided with Politicians to strike down his opponents so that he can monopolize the whole thing and make massive sales.
Or people that work their way even giving their body just to get oil well.

Thank God am An Igbo.

Marry an Igbo woman or Man and make your future bright

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by OneCorner: 10:54pm On May 24, 2018
Now I know why diamond is one of d worst bank
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by Obijulius: 10:54pm On May 24, 2018
Igbo Amaka!

God bless all those that love us and even bless those that hate us more.

We love you anyhow.
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by selemempe: 11:30pm On May 24, 2018
OneCorner:
Now I know why diamond is one of d worst bank
grin grin grin I know it pains u that 4 of Nigeria's 7 top banks are owned by Igbos.

I wonder which finance sector ppl claim Yorubas dominate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by SoapQueen(f): 12:18am On May 25, 2018
Laudable! A great feat. Igbo men are industrious, you can't take it from them. Very business savvy (if you are going to say drug barons or ritualists, please fall back).

Sadly, some of the men have so, so much pride.

All in all, they are pacesetters.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by Nobody: 2:17am On May 25, 2018
If you've followed and read about this man and all he has done across the years, you would know that, if this was America, he would be in the likes of Warren Buffet. This is one of the fathers of investing in Nigeria. Started from nothing to something.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by grandstar(m): 7:43am On May 25, 2018
selemempe:
grin grin grin I know it pains u that 4 of Nigeria's 7 top banks are owned by Igbos.

I wonder which finance sector ppl claim Yorubas dominate

2 are founded by Delta Igbo's who say they arent Igbo's.
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by kalu61(m): 8:17am On May 25, 2018
SoapQueen:
Laudable! A great feat. Igbo men are industrious, you can't take it from them. Very business savvy (if you are going to say drug barons or ritualists, please fall back).

Sadly, some of the men have so, so much pride.

All in all, they are pacesetters.
Not pride but we raise our heads up in any circumstances. Its a survival instinct

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by rex444(m): 11:01am On May 25, 2018
He is actually from emekuku

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by selemempe: 6:01pm On May 25, 2018
grandstar:

2 are founded by Delta Igbo's who say they arent Igbo's.

Tony elumelu says he is not Igbo?
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by grandstar(m): 6:23pm On May 25, 2018
selemempe:
Tony elumelu says he is not Igbo?

He is Delta Igbo or Ika/Anioma/Aniocha
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by selemempe: 6:40pm On May 25, 2018
grandstar:

so kwara yorubas are not yorubas

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by grandstar(m): 7:38pm On May 25, 2018
selemempe:
so kwara yorubas are not yorubas

It's the Delta Igbo's that say they are not Igbo's.

Kwara Yoruba's say that are Yoruba's.

It's only the Yoruba speaking Okun people of Kogi state where some don't accept they are Yoruba.

I met one sometime back and did not have Yoruba mannerisms

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by selemempe: 9:15pm On May 25, 2018
grandstar:

It's the Delta Igbo's that say they are not Igbo's.

Kwara Yoruba's say that are Yoruba's.

It's only the Yoruba speaking Okun people of Kogi state where some don't accept they are Yoruba.

I met one sometime back and did not have Yoruba mannerisms
u sure all Igbos in Delta say they are not Igbo?
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by grandstar(m): 9:19pm On May 25, 2018
selemempe:
u sure all Igbos in Delta say they are not Igbo?

Even during the colonial era, they called themselves Western Igbo's.

Even Onitsha people say they are Igbo's. That they originated from Benin. Google it

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by selemempe: 9:20pm On May 25, 2018
grandstar:

Even during the colonial era, they called themselves Western Igbo's.

Even Onitsha people say they are Igbo's. That they originated from Benin. Google it
Lol...answer my question. Go and tell obi of onitsha that he is from benin...that u saw it on google
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by grandstar(m): 9:30pm On May 25, 2018
selemempe:
Lol...answer my question. Go and tell obi of onitsha that he is from benin...that u saw it on google

What I am saying is an open secret. There's nothing hidden about it.

I was in the office just 2 days ago with an Anioma man. He reiterated the same things mentioned here.

He even said the Onitshas and Benin's still have a joint festival they do till today.

I know a Monye. He will never accept he is Igbo though he grew up in Aba.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by selemempe: 9:37pm On May 25, 2018
grandstar:

I was in the office just 2 days ago with an Anioma man. He reiterated the same things mentioned here.

He even said the Onitshas and Benin's still have a joint festival they do till today.

lol....simply answer the question...do all delta igbos say they are not igbo?
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by grandstar(m): 9:39pm On May 25, 2018
selemempe:
lol....simply answer the question...do all delta igbos say they are not igbo?

An overwhelming majority hold that position.

I may marry Igbo so I am not anti-Igbo
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by AmuDimpka: 9:43pm On May 25, 2018
grandstar:

Tony is pure igbo from igbuzor/ogwashi and they are from royal lineages of nri

They are even one of the most correct Igbo

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by selemempe: 9:43pm On May 25, 2018
grandstar:

An overwhelming majority hold that position.

I may marry Igbo so I am not anti-Igbo
ok i agree with u. Deltas are not igbo.. kaduna nzeogwu was not igbo

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by AmuDimpka: 9:44pm On May 25, 2018
grandstar:

Lies ...Ask him to tell you the joint festival ....I am from there and that is pure lie

The way people lie...Have you seen any Onitsha king say he is Benin...Pls show me i promise you recharge card
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by chisom83(m): 10:03pm On May 25, 2018
rex444:
He is actually from emekuku

Emekuku is his maternal home were he grew up. He is from Egbu, i am currently living beside his house at Egbu, by Ispacon. His Elder brother Barr Dozie was buried last month.
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by grandstar(m): 11:03pm On May 25, 2018
AmuDimpka:

Lies ...Ask him to tell you the joint festival ....I am from there and that is pure lie

The way people lie...Have you seen any Onitsha king say he is Benin...Pls show me i promise you recharge card

I don't see any reason he would lie. Maybe I got it wrong.
Re: The Igbo Man That Founded The Diamond Bank by rex444(m): 11:21pm On May 25, 2018
chisom83:

Emekuku is his maternal home were he grew up. He is from Egbu, i am currently living beside his house at Egbu, by Ispacon. His Elder brother Barr Dozie was buried last month.
i would have given u his proper biography but its not necessary.... Anyway am from ezeogba where he exactly is from ...

(1) (Reply)

United Bank For Africa Steals Money From Depositors Accounts / Mega Plaza Online Shop / Successful Business Knowledge - 21 Questions And Answers On Taxation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.