Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,647 members, 7,823,832 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup - Sports (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup (86832 Views)

Poll: Predict the results of Nigeria's match versus Argentina.

Nigeria wins!: 51% (179 votes)
Draw: 21% (75 votes)
Argentina wins!: 26% (93 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Germany: U20 World Cup (0 - 1) On 11th June 2015 / 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 / Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by omar22(m): 6:56pm On Jun 12, 2010
sagamite - who is the better in-game manager, largerbeer or amodu? be honest with yourself

9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 ,
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chamotex(m): 6:57pm On Jun 12, 2010
"Enyeama should be the face of gold circle condom! He's the surest protection"
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Tuyis: 6:58pm On Jun 12, 2010
binaflexia:

What did you expect them to do with the quality upfront? Run after them and expose the defense.

It is Argentina will are talking about here!

They have the ball, we watch them make their passes. We have the ball they harass us to give the ball away or make a mistake. We lacked confidence, that is why we lost. We did better in the second half though.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by mendomp: 6:58pm On Jun 12, 2010
forget lagarback and his plan to contain, if you are down by an unexpected goal you change tactics right away!!!!  you dont play like its still nil=nil.
i blame the coach for not being able to motivate those boys to fight harder period.   football is about passion,and if you lack that vital ingredient, nothing  will  be produced on the pitch.

i hope for the next game we can improve our enthusiasm on the field coz playing the next two matches like this will see us packing our bags and going home.
for Christ sake! we are playing on African soil,and  it should show in our spirit on the pitch.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 6:58pm On Jun 12, 2010
Sagamite:

his keeper was on holiday in Tahiti most of the game.

His team used us for passing training and took the ball from us like bullies.

This is your typical question: Please tell me the structure and pattern you saw in this game.

If you have the quality of Messi, Tevez, Higuain in your team, you will keep possession.
Letz give Lagerback the Argentina team and let Maradona manage the Eagles and think for once what the results would be. . . . .

Argentina did what typical Argentine teams do at this level.
The USA94 team were played off the park by the Argentines - same thingy happened in Japan/Korea 2002.

This is a simple logic - Argentina ARE superior. . . .but i have no doubt in ma mind Amodu would have made us look LESS INFERIOR with his shambolic tactical nous and his moronic LATE substitutions.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 12, 2010
Thank God I did not watch the match. I could have collapsed. angry
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chamotex(m): 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2010
mendomp:

forget lagarback and his plan to contain,  if you are down by an unexpected goal you change tactics right away!!!!  you dont play like its still nil=nil.
i blame the coach for not being able to motivate those boys to fight harder period.   football is about passion,and if you lack that vital ingredient, nothing  will  be produced on the pitch.

i hope for the next game we can improve our enthusiasm on the field coz playing the next two matches like this will see us packing our bags and going home.
for Christ sake! we are playing on African soil,and  it should show in our spirit on the pitch.

No you don't!!! in the 6th minute? Are you new to football? undecided undecided undecided
Not with the quality of players on show.
Tactics changed in the middle of the second half even earlier than I was expecting.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by tkb417(m): 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2010
Even tho we lost, the eagles were not bad
This is a major improvement from tht shambolic display in ANC
We will beat Greece

Hope still dey
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Iyineda(m): 7:03pm On Jun 12, 2010
chamotex:

[center][/center]
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chamotex(m): 7:04pm On Jun 12, 2010
stillwater:

And I would have resuscitated you cheesy
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chika98: 7:05pm On Jun 12, 2010
stillwater:

You didn't miss anything. I am so miffed I woke up to watch that crap!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by princekevo(m): 7:05pm On Jun 12, 2010
It is such a shame that this team has fallen far from what it was in the 1990s. For the next world cup the Nigerian Football Federation needs an overhaul. There needs to be a system that should be put in place to start producing more technically gifted players. I know that there is more than one person in Nigeria that has the skills that someone like Okocha had, it's just a matter of making it easier for talented people to find their way on the team.

Trust Nigeria and the NFF after the world cup they will call back clueless Amodu to hold Nigerian football backward for any 4years without growth. 5 months to world cup they will start looking for a coach that will come to perform miracle in beating one the best team in the world. Amodu worked with supper eagle for more than 2years but can not boost of a single player he discovered.
Am sitting hear wondering how some people reason. Comparing a coach that was with a team for more than 2yrs, but lost to ghana under 21 to a coach who jst met most of his players roaughly a month ago at the end lost the same 1-0 to Argentina.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by binaflexia: 7:05pm On Jun 12, 2010
~Sauron~:

If you have the quality of Messi, Tevez, Higuain in your team, you will keep possession.
Letz give Lagerback the Argentina team and let Maradona manage the Eagles and think for once what the results would be. . . . .

The USA94 team were played off the park by the Argentines - same thingy happened in Japan/Korea 2002.

This is a simple logic - Argentina ARE superior. . . .but i have no doubt in ma mind Amodu would have made us look LESS INFERIOR with his shambolic tactical nous and his moronic LATE substitutions.

Thank you very much.

Let those that still criticize Lars to go and train a DOG that could kill a Lion.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 7:06pm On Jun 12, 2010
chamotex:

No you don't!!!  in the 6th minute? Are you new to football? undecided undecided undecided
Not with the quality of players on show.
Tactics changed in the middle of the second half even earlier than I was expecting.

That's ALL i needed to know that he's a WINNER and wouldn't flinch to take RISKS to win a match unlike FAGmodu. grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by JIY: 7:07pm On Jun 12, 2010
For the next world cup the Nigerian Football Federation needs an overhaul. There needs to be a system that should be put in place to start producing more technically gifted players

I had suggested earlier this week that we should start a campaign to sack the NFF (See my "Sack the NFF Drive"wink and expected an enthusiastic response from this forum but I was mistaken. It seems that all folks are interested in is empty complain rather than engaging in a concrete action to make  a difference.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 7:09pm On Jun 12, 2010
Compare what Amodu played vs Zambia whose best players are based in South Arican league to what Lagerback played vs Argentina with the best set of players in the world
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by tkb417(m): 7:10pm On Jun 12, 2010
Don't tell me some people are criticising Lagerback with what we did today
In just 3 months, that guy did what amodu couldn't do in 2 yrs- good football
Abeg, I was impressed even in defeat

If only Osaze had made that vital pass- e pain me o
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 7:10pm On Jun 12, 2010
chamotex:

That is because of the quality of the opposition.
It is understandable, you cant expect him to go gong ho against the Argies.
When you are on the back foot, you will most likely get exposed, not with the players we have any way.

Yes, the quality of the opposition is responsible for that. But also is the stroll-in-a-park approach to football they played for 70 mins.

chamotex:

So how is that the coaches fault?
So who should he have appointed?
Taiwo takes most freekicks anyway, when its deeper Mikel normally takes them.

All the corner kicks were Horrible!

Surely they could have trained someone or change taker.

chamotex:

Agreed! But when the coach has lost his players, then there has to be a change.
The only thing here is - this change can be a negative or posistive change. But we wont know yet!
The players were not playing for Amodu so we needed a fresh approach.

True!

That is why I am attacking the morons that belittled the coach with lame excuses that led to that. Instead of realising it takes time to build a team and our players are mediocre but they keeep referign to 1994.

I pray so, I can't blame the man.

chamotex:

Totally agree! Messi doesn't play to his potential all the time right?
What I'm saying is if this keeps happening, then I'd be worried but judging just from one game especially with the level of opponent is not concrete.
I can see why some are praising the white coach.
Sagamite, It is normal to play a 'containing' style of football against a better opposition for obvious reasons until a certain time. Did you see how the game changed for last 20 minutes, thats a normal approach to me.

I am judging from 4 games and I am not even blaming the coach. I am just blaming the ones that want to praise a coach for an improvement that does NOT EXIST!

chamotex:

Agreed but that is something that can be worked on.
The players were nervous wouldn't say petrified but that was Human and Normal.
If they were petrified as you put it, against Greece then that would worry me.

They played like they were happy to lose as long as it is not high no of goals.

If they had played a bit more aggressively, they could have got a draw.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Tuyis: 7:10pm On Jun 12, 2010
binaflexia:

Thank you very much.

Let those that still criticize Lars to go and train a DOG that could kill a Lion.

It's a game of football, not of might. You need intelligence and passion, none of which I saw on the Nigerian side until the very last minute.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Kinezeala(m): 7:13pm On Jun 12, 2010
Make una leave largarback and the team abeg i was really impressed with the performance!na nsofor nd uche nd kaita fall my hand!chei taiwo o
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by lastpage: 7:14pm On Jun 12, 2010
[size=16pt]I feel shocked at those who are claiming LageerBeer did a wonderful Job![/size]

The reasons we are patting ourselves on the back right now are:

[size=14pt]1.)Enyeama was Superb in goal; he reduced the scores from 7-O, to 1-0 (Thats not due to lagerbeer!)

2.)The Argies, like they struggled to qualify under Maradona, are a shadow of themselves, in the National Team jersey!

3.) When Argies play Korea, watch the scoreline; When the Koreans play Naija, watch the scoreline
[/size]

You can praise LagerBeer afterwards!

Judging on the Argie performance today, this is a game Nigeria could have won easily
(I bet Siasia's under-age team would have beaten this Argies today)
LagerBeer is no better that Bertie Voghts or Amodu, its only that "this is a world Cup game, not ACN competition naaah!

Inferiority Complex no go kill my Naija Bruvdas
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 7:14pm On Jun 12, 2010
bawomolo:

sagamite - who is the better in-game manager, largerbeer or amodu? be honest with yourself

In-game?

I have seen Amodu make subs in SEVERAL games that resulted in goals from the new player or the new player creating it.

I am yet to see this in Lagerback, but he has only been in charge of 1 game.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Dno1gurl(f): 7:15pm On Jun 12, 2010
they tried sha!! grin smiley
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 7:16pm On Jun 12, 2010
chamotex:

You dey crase!  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by omar22(m): 7:16pm On Jun 12, 2010
In-game?

I have seen Amodu make subs in SEVERAL games that resulted in goals from the new player or the new player creating it.

I am yet to see this in Lagerback, but he has only been in charge of 1 game.

You didnt answer the question!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 7:18pm On Jun 12, 2010
Tuyis:

They have the ball, we watch them make their passes. We have the ball they harass us to give the ball away or make a mistake. We lacked confidence, that is why we lost. We did better in the second half though.

[size=28pt]GBOSA[/size]

Heavy Gbosa.

We played for 70mins like a team happy to lose marginally until Odems and Uche thought otherwise!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Nokka: 7:18pm On Jun 12, 2010
Argentina is a paper Tiger, a handful of great club strikers, a questionable midfield, and an off and on defence. Past the hype of commentators there is nothing that separates it from Nigeria. As the tournament goes on they will be exposed. While not a fan of Seyi Olofinjana, this was the type of game the big man would have made an impact. As for the Playstation analysts who keep asking why Shittu, Yakubu, and Keita are in the squad it has not dawned on them that this is international  football. This is the biggest and most physical Argentinian team ever, from a country teeming with short players coached by a smaller creative player. Even Maradona knows what it takes to win in international football.

The so-called adjustments by Lagerback are in the imaginations of some. At the end of the day he went with the only logical option open to a team laden with strikers and bereft of creative midfielders, 4-3-3.

The reality of this match was that the only two really world class performances were from Enyeama and Messi. The other 20 players came for tourism and jersey exchanges. Minus those two there is absolutely nothing to talk about concerning this match.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 7:19pm On Jun 12, 2010
tkb417:

If only Osaze had made that vital pass- e pain me o

I wanted to shoot Osaze . . . . . .
All he had to do was roll the ball to Martins in the middle and we woulda equalised.
2 of Lagerback's subs woulda won us the game with the simplest of tasks.

Osaze should be shot for trying to be a HERO.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chamotex(m): 7:19pm On Jun 12, 2010
Sagamite:

Yes, the quality of the opposition is responsible for that. But also is the stroll-in-a-park approach to football they played for 70 mins.

All the corner kicks were Horrible!

Surely they could have trained someone or change taker.

We dont have a David Beckham or Juninho in our team.
You have to make do with Taiwo for now I'm sorry grin grin grin

I am judging from 4 games and I am not even blaming the coach. I am just blaming the ones that want to praise a coach for an improvement that does NOT EXIST!

I get you now.
There wasn't a massive improvement but the approach was normal and best option.
Contain for 70 minutes and then attack from there.
Argentina is not even the right game to judge anyways.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by tkb417(m): 7:19pm On Jun 12, 2010
When we qualify for 2nd round, all these chants about amodu will never come up again
Amodu what?
That's a synonym for dullard
That name symbolizes mumuness
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 7:21pm On Jun 12, 2010
~Sauron~:

Argentina were superior but WE WRE NOT AGGRESSIVE ENOUGH.

We played like we play under Amodu. So what was the point of switching coaches.

I told you all that the aggressiveness takes time to develop in Naija players with bigmanism (althought today was defeatism) disease and give the coach more time.

TODAY WAS HEART ATTACK FOOTBALL.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chamotex(m): 7:22pm On Jun 12, 2010
omar22:

You didnt answer the question!!!

Lager has only had one major game, how do you expect him to compare that with Amodu with loads of game?

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (87) (Reply)

Referee Bakary Gassama Apologises To Nigeria After South Africa Match / 'FIFA VAR' Introduced In Village Football Competition In Imo State (photos) / World Cup: Psychic Pig Picks Nigeria And Argentina For Semi-final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.