Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,241 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup - Sports (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup (86824 Views)

Poll: Predict the results of Nigeria's match versus Argentina.

Nigeria wins!: 51% (179 votes)
Draw: 21% (75 votes)
Argentina wins!: 26% (93 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Germany: U20 World Cup (0 - 1) On 11th June 2015 / 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 / Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Rastamann: 5:47pm On Jun 12, 2010
The SE did their best though their best was not good enough for the win. I don't why they were nervous and jittery at the begining. And you can see that a a point the agentines were playing for time. Maradonna was scared stiff of the SE. Enyema did a yoman's job and I wish them luck in the next two matches.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Primegold: 5:48pm On Jun 12, 2010
True Supporters,
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by jumobi1(m): 5:48pm On Jun 12, 2010
^^if that's our best then we should have let Tunisia qualify. That was pathetic football. I thought teams play to win competitions. If we dont believe we can win any team then what are we doing?
Rastamann:

The SE did their best though their best was not good enough for the win. I don't why they were nervous and jittery at the begining. And you can see that a a point the agentines were playing for time. Maradonna was scared stiff of the SE. Enyema did a yoman's job and I wish them luck in the next two matches.

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Marlbron: 5:49pm On Jun 12, 2010
It is a testament to mediocrity elevated in my Fatherland that make peeps come here and tell me that they saw the best  Nigerian squad. We were better in the junior category in China. We had keita as a DM and Adeleye defending. Ok we were inexperienced in finishing and atatcked too much, but we are still showing these same errors 2 years on and an overpaid coach to boot! I doubt if this Arg squad can beat Korea and the best we can get from S Korea is a draw if we are lucky. Amodu is shite, but Largarback is overated.

poor selection
poor formation
poor mid, leaving spaces
Lack of imagination for set pieces
ball watching defense and lacking cordination

These are the reasons we hired him in the first place!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chika98: 5:49pm On Jun 12, 2010
I wonder what the back and forth is all about. Nigeria played like a bunch of kids who are just happy to be on the field.
Lagerback maybe a bit better than Amodu but STILL. . . We were crappy!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by omar22(m): 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2010
Over here in UK, Phil McCarthy the former Ireland manager was just criticising the hopeless play of our players for 70 mins!

DID YOU WATCH THE MATCH?

Argentina used us as training day passing material and the players played like if they were not interestd for 70 mins.

Poor touch!

Poor passes!

Getting closed down!

Poor marking!

Even poor throwins!

Lousy freekicks and corner kicks!

Keeper saving 5 goals!

WHADDAFUCK are you talking about?

SPOT ON,

We made Argentina look very good,
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by SSaemoenl(m): 5:51pm On Jun 12, 2010
What a useless Eagle as they knew the scores right from the day we are fixed with the Argentians, Making themselves too inferror as they played the game my fear and names.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by bawomolo(m): 5:51pm On Jun 12, 2010
Marlbron:

It is a testament to mediocrity elevated in my Fatherland that make peeps come here and tell me that they saw the best  Nigerian squad. We were better in the junior category in China. We had keita as a DM and Adeleye defending. Ok we were inexperienced in finishing and atatcked too much, but we are still showing these same errors 2 years on and an overpaid coach to boot! I doubt if this Arg squad can beat Korea and the best we can get from S Korea is a draw if we are lucky. Amodu is shite, but Largarback is overated.

poor selection
poor formation
poor mid, leaving spaces
Lack of imagination for set pieces
ball watching defense and lacking cordination

These are the reasons we hired him in the first place!

and all these would be solved in 3 months?  

Nigerian football is witness a gradually transformation with the infusion of guys like rabiu ibrahim, huruna (should i say uncle stanley okoro  grin).  be patient. what we should be demanding is continuity.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by TruMantra(m): 5:51pm On Jun 12, 2010
Here is my analysis.

1. Lagarback's formation was flawed as it left the mid-field totally in control of the Argies.
2. Haruna played acceptably but we were under so much pressure he never got a chance to display his attacking ability.
3. The players were disciplined and without a doubt, they lacked that under Ahmodu. Still, their passes were inacurate and the absence of the mid-field meant that there was a yawning gap between the defence and the attack.
4. For the last few years, Nigeria has lacked a clinical finisher. Why would anyone expect that to change today.
5. Lagerback's changes were timely and changed the game. Still at the back of my mind, i wonder how the game would have gone if we had started with Osaze, Martins and Uche. We'll never know now.
6. The boys were overtly cautious, avoiding marking in a bid not to get caught. The coach needs to prod them exert more pressure even when they dont have posession.
7. The long balls dont work for Nigeria. Why in the world we keep trying them beats me.

Finally, we played against Argentina. I honestly thought that we'd lose by at least a 3 goal margin. The folks that are saying Enyeama saved us need to understand that it's exactly what he is meant to do. I salute him.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by medjai(m): 5:53pm On Jun 12, 2010
bad display. There was no urgency in our play. They gave the Argentines too much room. For 4-5 minutes, we couldnt touch the ball. The Argies are great team agreed but we cant beat Niger republic if we play like this. 0 technical input from Lagerback
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 5:53pm On Jun 12, 2010
chamotex:

You are being too harsh.

Bad touch, bad throws, bad set pieces are not directly the coaches fault.
Those are basic skills, you cant teach those.

The passing wasn;t the best but you should expect the players to be nervous on the ball as they were playing a more superior side. That is normal everywhere in football. They didn't want to commit players into the box because we cant keep possession.
A team that cant keep possession in a game should not commit players forward especially against top oppositions.

The team has not improved greatly which is understandable but the blueprint is there.
They actually did better than what I exoected.

The whole Black vs White thing is crap to me. Siasia woulda done a better job than Amodu in my opinion.
Another major point is RESPECT . . . . . Do the players respect AMODU? Do they want to play for him?  NO!!!

Managers have been sacked numerous times just for losing the dressing room
You cant expect a miracle within the short period of time Lager has had.

The organisation and structure have improved but just slightly.

What is the point of paying N10m a year to not improve our set piece play. That one should be part of tactics in training, so that is coaches responsibility WHEN IT IS APPALLING EVERYTIME, not just once. A few times, players fault. Everytime wasted, then they did not have some plan.

They only did better than expected BASED ON KEEPERS performance not some team stopping attack. That is a whole lot of difference.

If it is that Arg played but we defended and frustrated them, I will clap. Arg is superior.

But they almost scored a basketful if not for Enyeama. How am I suppose to applaud the team then?
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by medjai(m): 5:53pm On Jun 12, 2010
bad display. There was no urgency in our play. They gave the Argentines too much room. For 4-5 minutes, we couldnt touch the ball. The Argies are great team agreed but we cant beat Niger republic if we play like this. 0 technical input from Lagerback
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by nateevs(m): 5:54pm On Jun 12, 2010
Sagamite:

So if they play like they played under Amodu, what was the point of a new coach you pay N10m a month?

I did not say they played the same way today.
I asked what they did under Amodu since you think there's no difference.
This is only the first game of the tournament against arguably one of the best sides in the world. .
We made mistakes yes but you seem like you have been waiting for this. . .

Why don't you watch how Lars fares against the next 2 teams before you pass judgement. .
At least we fired Amodu after a run of disastrous results. .
Why don't you just wait until the tournament ends. . .
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 5:54pm On Jun 12, 2010
I expected us to lose but from what I say today, due to the poor play of our players we lost a chance to draw.

Poor play probably due to stage fright and which National team in the world wont be awed by the Argentines

I am surprised you guys have the guts to come here and try and claim this was not a heart-attack display.
We played quite well and well beyond expectations

We gave away a moronic goal. Keeper saved 5 clear goals.

Happens to the best teams in the world. Mention any team in the world and I would tell you the number of moronic goals that was given away.

We were used as passing training material.

Training material from Argentina is better than from Zambia and Ghana U21 team

The players could not be bothered.

Yet they were making last ditch tackles and running all over the field, even Yakubu that I hated so much impressed me today

We were countered attack that could kill anyone.

This happens everytime

Team play was APPALLING until Odems and Uche came in.

Why the HELL did Odems not start?

Did you watch the 1999 CL finals where 2 subs by Fergie changed the game? Wasnt he called a genius for that rather than ppl ask why Sheringham and Solskjaer didnt start.

If Messi had been a Nigerian and missed 5 one on one with the keeper, I bet Sagamu woulda killed him
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by otokx(m): 5:55pm On Jun 12, 2010
This game is over; i hope the eagles can sit down and watch the Greece - South Korea match. If we loose to Greece then it will be effectively over.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by omar22(m): 5:55pm On Jun 12, 2010
At the begining I thought Ramon Domenech was our manager when I saw the selection,
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by bidemi12(m): 5:56pm On Jun 12, 2010
i believe we did admirably. i am also sure will defeat all other opponents with five and six goals difference till we reach the finals. well if you believe that then you will believe anything. with the perfomance displayed today, we definitely will not pass the group stage. like everything in Nigeria we cannot manage our potential and are now paying for it. nfa should have built on the success of westerhof but it has been downhill ever since 2004. i propose we all sit back on future nigerian matches (holding a glass of heineken) and place bets on the losing side (Nigeria). might as well make money on it.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by bawomolo(m): 5:57pm On Jun 12, 2010
medjai:

this is just pure hatorade. the nigerian side in the second half would dispose most african teams besides egypt
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 5:57pm On Jun 12, 2010
dayokanu:

Ask Tkb, The last time I had hopes in Nigeria was in 1998 but today I saw that we have hope.

@Sagamite,

If Argentina had played England and the scoreline and play was what it is right now, What would you have called the English team (though more talented)

Mick McCarthy is a certified fool

I would have called them: Hopeless and Destroyed since they have more stars.

Thank God for Enyeama. That play was pathetic for the first half.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 12, 2010
Sagamite, wat is wiv u n kissin' a whyte man's @$$? (as u put it)

U come across as racist!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 5:59pm On Jun 12, 2010
i am really impressed by the super eagles performance.i pray they make it up to final.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by bawomolo(m): 6:00pm On Jun 12, 2010
AYODEJI4LOVE:

i am really impressed by the super eagles performance.i pray they make it up to final.

display of pure hatorade and pure delusion all in one thread
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by NET1(m): 6:00pm On Jun 12, 2010
Please someone should answer me: IS ENYEAMA married? Because if he';s not, he should find a wife in any of my sistas  grin we are ready to waive the bride price. cheesy

The dude (enyeama) was no doubt the MVP in the match today. The rest can Bleep away!

.NET
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by moonraker(m): 6:00pm On Jun 12, 2010
Facebook status of one of my guys

This is Messi's Credit Card details: Lionel messi|5542353199622477|12/10|06|07|26, let's do dis nigerians. Let's use it up, The guy is an idiot

hahahahah, laugh won kill me surrender
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by princekevo(m): 6:00pm On Jun 12, 2010
Someone asked a question to those Amodu A$$ lickers. We lost 3-1 to Egypt under Amodu, how many should we have lost to Argentina if he were to be the coach? Am saying it again, for that last 2years Amodu distroyed Super this has been their best performance. I dont know why some people are being clouded with sentiments. Like i said before, anyone who think the boys didnt try their best should wear his Jesseys for next or forever remain silent.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 12, 2010
some people come here and talk about argentina like its gabon,what sort of players do we have to even dare to compare to argentina
some said they gave argentina room to play but you all seem to forget that argentina has at least 5 game winners in the team who can change the game with any sort of space hence the SE allowed them room infront of the boxz cos if they had rushed out to mark,there woulkd have been room in bavck for argentina to exploit and we all saw that towards the end when haruna rushed out and a pass was made to messi and keita came and took the ball away.
lets be sensible when making comments,trying to rush mark them would have left big gaps in the back which we did not have today,compare this same SE to the one that lost 3-1 to egypt,1-0 to ghana U-20
if you all noticed all their chances came via solo moves started btw messi and another player.
we played to instructions but we were scared
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 12, 2010
The Argentinian goal should have been disallowed.

A Nigerian player was delibrately blocked from defending the corner kick.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 6:01pm On Jun 12, 2010
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by ezan(m): 6:02pm On Jun 12, 2010
. . . getting tired of 1-0 losses to Argentina; Maradona is no coach; with the crop of players they had, their performance was horribly poor. Our tactical execution was fair. Most surprising though, the argentinians were just as scared and nervous of the SE as we were of them. I guess they weren't sure what kind of super eagles would show up. Definitely not a good performance; we lost. I still don't understand why Osaze and/or Martins didn't play from the start.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Marlbron: 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2010
At the begining I thought Ramon Domenech was our manager when I saw the selection,

Exactly. How can you in all honesty play a DM as a wide man? This guy cannot shoot and he knows it! We had warm up matches ffss!!!

What were your better players doing on the bench? We had an Arg squad that was sharp attacking wise, bt not very good mid and defense. It would be interesting to see how they do against S Korea, who are more intelligent players! We shall see.

Talking about nerves, the Argies were very nervous. They fear Nigeria a lot, so on the nerve front we were  equal!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2010
omar22:

SPOT ON,

We made Argentina look very good,

Thank you for being objective.

If Argentina play like that against South Korea, if they are not BEATEN, they will be pegged into their half as they were not great defensively. Our players were just not interested in going forward, they were happy to lose slightly.

Argentina was only strong upfront today especially messi and the others movement and closing down.

If we played more coordinated and with confidence like the last 20 mins if Odems and Uche had started. A DRAW WAS FEASIBLE and WE LOST THE CHANCE!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by AjanleKoko: 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2010
@Sagamite, take it easy man.
Was just joking around there.  It is just a game, after all.
All your angst won't change anything anyway. Even if Amodu, Kanu, and Lagerback came on to play, nothing much would have changed.
The finer things are beyond us for now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (87) (Reply)

Referee Bakary Gassama Apologises To Nigeria After South Africa Match / 'FIFA VAR' Introduced In Village Football Competition In Imo State (photos) / World Cup: Psychic Pig Picks Nigeria And Argentina For Semi-final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.