Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup - Sports (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup (86838 Views)

Poll: Predict the results of Nigeria's match versus Argentina.

Nigeria wins!: 51% (179 votes)
Draw: 21% (75 votes)
Argentina wins!: 26% (93 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Germany: U20 World Cup (0 - 1) On 11th June 2015 / 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 / Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 12:14am On Jun 28, 2010
dayokanu:

Which top coach can see Okocha and play him in his team? I cant even play Okocha in any U23 team.

In Atlanta he almost made us lose with his pedestrian play vs Brazil which includes losing a penalty. His specialty were spitting like a snake, chewing gum like a hooker and trying tricks unsuccessfully.

I wonder. . . . . .
Sagamite ran to post his compilation on Youtube.
I can bring out Nani's skills on Youtube that surpassed all those nursery Okocha skills.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 12:17am On Jun 28, 2010
~Sauron~:

I wonder. . . . . .
Sagamite ran to post his compilation on Youtube.
I can bring out Nani's skills on Youtube that surpassed all those nursery Okocha skills.

O to be. grin grin grin grin

Skills pass skills.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 12:23am On Jun 28, 2010
On you tube, Denilson looks better than Zidane
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 12:27am On Jun 28, 2010
dayokanu:

On you tube, Denilson looks better than Zidane

On youtube, Chrisantus looks better than Drogba. grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by kaypumpin2(m): 12:28am On Jun 28, 2010
Na Okocha una dey rubbish like this? grin grin

~Sauron~:

We saw him play and he was gash in 1994.
One of the reasons Westerhof never really liked him.
I think you made the most salient point when you alluded to his unseriousness.Westerhof eventually used him against the Azzuris though,and he had one of his best performances for us.If Okocha was discovered early enough and had his skills and craftmanship honed and harnessed by a coach like Ferguson,i make bold to say he would have been better off for it.

I just pray we would have a football afficionado at the helms of affair so any one that will handle our national team will have the support Westerhof had.

If we are so insistent on having a local coach though,i wouldn't mind a Siasia/Ikhana or Emordi combination.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 12:37am On Jun 28, 2010
^^ There was a reason top coaches took risks on some players but never touched others

Ferguson would rather gamble with Quiton Fortune that pay 5Naira on Okocha
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 12:42am On Jun 28, 2010
dayokanu:

^^ There was a reason top coaches took risks on some players but never touched others
Ferguson would rather gamble with Quiton Fortune that pay 5Naira on Okocha

Dayokanu, your exaggeration is too much.

Playing in a big club is all about luck.
Mikel Obi is one-tenth the player Okocha is and yet he was chased by Mourinho and Ferguson(2 top managers).

Okocha was unfortunate and he didn't help his case as well cos he was too playful.
Football scouts would choose Oliseh, Iroha, Amunke, Amokachi, Yekini, Siasia and Adepoju before Okocha in 1994.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by medjai(m): 12:58am On Jun 28, 2010
JJ made FIFA's list of 125 living legends of football compiled by Pele. Comparing and even saying the likes of Nomvette and Titi Camara are better than JJ is an insult to football. No be only Titi, na Bola.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by medjai(m): 12:59am On Jun 28, 2010
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 1:03am On Jun 28, 2010
medjai:

JJ made FIFA's list of 125 living legends of football compiled by Pele. Comparing and even saying the likes of Nomvette and Titi Camara are better than JJ is an insult to football. No be only Titi, na Bola.

The same Pele promised us an African team would win the world cup by year 2000.
It's 2010 and Africans are still shyte.

Disregard Pele's views. . . . .He lost his virginity to a man. grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 1:20am On Jun 28, 2010
Who takes Pele seriously?

Check the below assertions by Pele

10) China 2002

Pele Prediction: China will qualify for the next round from their 2002 World Cup group.

Outcome: China finish bottom of Group C with no wins, no draws, no points, no goals, as well as -9 in their goal-difference column.

9) Spain 1998

Pele Prediction: Spain are favourites for the 1998 World Cup in France.

Outcome: Spain humiliatingly dumped out in the first round after losing to Nigeria, and drawing with Paraguay.

Raul & Spain - Kings Of France '98?

cool Colombia To Live American Dream

Pele Prediction: Colombia will win the 1994 World Cup in the USA.

Outcome: Colombia exit the competition in the first round, finishing bottom of their group. Their defender Andres Escobar is also tragically shot dead by an angry fan after Colombia return home.

7) Argentina, France & World Cup 2002

Pele Prediction: Argentina & France will both reach the final.

Outcome: Both countries eliminated in the first round, France without even scoring a goal.

6) Escape To Victory

Pele Prediction: During the famous film starring Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine, Allies star Pele is brutally fouled in the first half by the Nazi opponents. The injured Brazilian claims there is no way he can continue and is carried off. The Allies are 4-0 down, and a recovery is deemed impossible.

Outcome: Pele returns in the second half and inspires his team to an improbable comeback, even scoring a stunning bicycle kick. Even in fiction, Pele's predictions go wrong.

5) Ronaldo Is Finished

Pele Prediction: Ronaldo will never play football again, and his career is over, following a serious injury for Milan in February 2008.

Outcome: Ronaldo returns in March 2009 for Corinthians, scoring 10 goals in his first 14 games to win the Campeonato Paulista. Rumoured to be on the verge of a national team recall.

Ronald-over

4) Nii Lamptey – ‘The New Pele’

Pele Prediction: After starring in the 1991 Under-17 World Cup, which also featured Alessandro Del Piero, Pele proclaims Ghana youngster Lamptey as his successor, ‘The New Pele’.

Outcome: What happens next goes down in football infamy. Lamptey spectacularly fails to fulfil his talent, believing himself that he was cursed by dark forces. The midfielder shifts around clubs such as PSV, Aston Villa, Coventry, Venezia and Ankaragucu, without success, and endures tragedy in his personal life, as two of his children die.

3) Nicky Barmby - Up There With Zidane, Maldini & Ronaldo ( The funniest-Maybe the same way he rated Okocha) grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Pele Prediction: Nicky Barmby will become a world class star.

Outcome: Nicky Barmby becomes nothing more than an average player, winning 23 England caps, and never even appearing in a World Cup.

Nick Barmby - 'The English Roberto Baggio'

2) Africa Will Rule

Pele Prediction: An African nation will win the World Cup before the year 2000.

Outcome: It is now 2009, and an African country has still yet to get past the quarter-final.

1) Brazil & World Cup 2002

Pele Prediction: Brazil won’t even get past the group stages.

Outcome: Brazil win the World Cup.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2377/top-10/2009/06/23/1338375/top-10-wrong-pele-predictions

Scolari once said If you are a coach and you assemble your team, Go and ask pele for his opinion and do the exact opposites. Peles Goalie should be your striker and Peles striker should actually be dropped
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by DrKitaun(m): 8:26am On Jun 28, 2010
U havent mentioned his take on Godwin Okpara ? Pele sure yaps rubbish . . .
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by NobiGod: 12:54pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Sauron~:

Playing in a big club is all about luck.
Mikel Obi is one-tenth the player Okocha is and yet he was chased by Mourinho and Ferguson(2 top managers).

Okocha was unfortunate and he didn't help his case as well cos he was too playful.
Football scouts would choose Oliseh, Iroha, Amunke, Amokachi, Yekini, Siasia and Adepoju before Okocha in 1994.

As much as am a big Okocha fan I will have to disagree with you here. Mikel is very tactical aware while Okocha is technically gifted (An eye candy). Tactically incline coach like Mourinho always find such players priceless. Fergusion only stepped up interest when he discovered Chelsea also want him. He had trials with them earlier, though impressed, nothing came out of it then. So they are both good but different players.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Princek12(m): 2:00pm On Jun 28, 2010
Sagamite
"Sorry?

Because Siasia has used them, they are no more fresh?

What do you want? For him to go and bring someone from his village farm?

Or he should manufacture players where there is none?

Why would he not use Yobo?"

Yes, they are no more fresh because Siasia used them. He does not have to go to his village farm to find players; he can go to the local leagues, tap into our current in th 2009 and 2007 U-17 talent; he can enlist other Nigerian players in Europe who have been ignored. Amodu is too lazy to do all that, and he had time. There are players, and he does not need to manufacture players. Everyone who has knowledge, and who has played competitive football, will know that Yobo is not fit. That's why he is not a regular fixture at Everton. Bottomline, Amodu is incompetent for sticking with the same players knowing they struggled. All he had to do was make minor changes here and there, but no, that lazy buffoon kept using the same players without having them fight for a shirt on the team. That is plain stupid.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by medjai(m): 3:59pm On Jun 28, 2010
Amodu did bring some new players into the eagles set up: Omatsone Aluko, Michael Eneramo, Yussuf Mohammed, Joseph Akpala even Echiejile. The few times we had friendlies he tried these boys
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 4:54pm On Jun 28, 2010
Princek12:

Yes, they are no more fresh because Siasia used them.

What a nonsensical statement.

I wonder what is the point of youth teams then.

Tell me which fresh players Capello or Van Marwijk used then.

Tell me what fresh players Ghana are using.

What clunking rubbish.

Princek12:

Everyone who has knowledge, and who has played competitive football, will know that Yobo is not fit. That's why he is not a regular fixture at Everton. Bottomline, Amodu is incompetent for sticking with the same players knowing they struggled. All he had to do was make minor changes here and there, but no, that lazy buffoon kept using the same players without having them fight for a shirt on the team. That is plain silly.

Yobo is a regular at Everton and only lost his place briefly because he made some errors.

And Yobo was one of your best players at WC.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Princek12(m): 7:45pm On Jun 28, 2010
Sagamite:

What a nonsensical statement.

I wonder what is the point of youth teams then.

Tell me which fresh players Capello or Van Marwijk used then.

Tell me what fresh players Ghana are using.

What clunking rubbish.

Yobo is a regular at Everton and only lost his place briefly because he made some errors.

And Yobo was one of your best players at WC.

The purpose of youth teams is to discover young talent, but not at the expense of other reliable players from the local leagues and foreign leagues who may be off the radar. A good coach will scout for such talents and find them.

Ghana are using many players from their U20 team, but they are blended with fit veterans. Why do we have our local professional leagues? There maybe some talented players who for other reasons could not participate in the youth tournament. Amodu is using unfit veterans when he could have replaced them with new fit players.

Capello is not using fresh players, so that explains why his team performed marginally well and are out of the competition.

Yobo is an unfit player. You have said it that he lost his place due to some errors, errors associated with an aging defender who is becoming unfit. And also by losing his starting place he will be invariably unfit for a match, but no, Amodu, like the fool he is, still started him. And Yobo made costly errors before he was benched at Everton.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 8:36pm On Jun 28, 2010
Princek12:

The purpose of youth teams is to discover young talent, but not at the expense of other reliable players from the local leagues and foreign leagues who may be off the radar. A good coach will scout for such talents and find them.

Your argument is that since they have played in youth teams, they are no more fresh.

Princek12:

Ghana are using many players from their U20 team, but they are blended with fit veterans. Why do we have our local professional leagues? There maybe some talented players who for other reasons could not participate in the youth tournament. Amodu is using unfit veterans when he could have replaced them with new fit players.

Lets stick with your arguments.

You state (in surmisation): To perform well, one needs to use some fresh players. And new players that have played in youth teams are not fresh.

So how come Ghana is performing without "fresh" players.

Do you see where your logic breaks down?

Princek12:

Capello  is not using fresh players, so that explains why his team performed marginally well and are out of the competition.

That is the reason?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

So how come Brazil, Argentina and Germany are doing well without "fresh" players?

Princek12:

Yobo is an unfit player. You have said it that he lost his place due to some errors, errors associated with an aging defender who is becoming unfit.

Sorry how did you come to that conclusion for me?  undecided

I would have thought my OWN analysis is errors due to lack of concentration on the pitch.

Princek12:

And also by losing his starting place he will be invariably unfit for a match, but no, Amodu, like the fool he is, still started him. And Yobo made costly errors before he was benched at Everton.

And you claim to have played professionally?  undecided

Professional players train well whether in starting lineups or not. They are NOT unfit.

Their touch may be suspect but not fitness.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by mamagee3(f): 8:40pm On Jun 28, 2010
Sagamite:

[flash=420,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBaH_9vJETg&feature=related[/flash]
~Okocha, the best player in Nigeria and in the world during his prime~
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 9:56pm On Jun 28, 2010
Hahahahahahaha

ITV don finish YAKUBU. . . . .

James Corden brought his 60 yr-old mum on his show to reconstruct Yakubu's miss against South Korea.
And his mum scored from the same position Yakubu missed. . . . .His mum was wearing Yakubu's jersey too.

If i were Yakubu, i would sue.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by bawomolo(m): 10:36pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Sauron~:

Hahahahahahaha

James Corden brought his 60 yr-old mum on his show to reconstruct Yakubu's miss against South Korea.
And his mum scored from the same position Yakubu missed. . . . .His mum was wearing Yakubu's jersey too.

goodness, abeg can we have link of that asap
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by funkybaby(f): 10:43pm On Jun 28, 2010
~Sauron~:

Hahahahahahaha

Yeah, saw it.

James Corden don craze finish grin grin grin

how did his mum fit into that jersey sef grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 11:07pm On Jun 28, 2010
I told you in 6 billion people in the world, less than 20 would miss that chance and Yak was one of them
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by medjai(m): 11:35pm On Jun 28, 2010
I think they are just glamourising the whole thing. I've seen C. Ronaldo and very recently Rooney(in this world cup) spurn similar sitters and it didnt come with these much ruckus. Bad miss, no doubt but I think they are taking it too far
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by medjai(m): 11:35pm On Jun 28, 2010
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by mamagee3(f): 11:45pm On Jun 28, 2010
medjai:

I think they are just glamourising the whole thing. I've seen C. Ronaldo and very recently Rooney(in this world cup) spurn similar sitters and it didnt come with these much ruckus. Bad miss, no doubt but I think they are taking it too far
The day Cristiano Ronaldo misses an opportunity like that, he would be pulled out of the portuguese team by Carlos Queiroz.

Forget Rooney, he's not that good and way overrated so it wouldn't come up as a surprise if he did.

Btw, England weren't bound for elimination so even if he missed, it wouldn't blast out as a big deal because England was already winning the match.

That was an opportunity that a professional footballer like Yakubu shouldn't have missed even in his dream match talk more of in the World Cup and a team that's bound for elimination if they didn't score a third goal.

Don't try defending the worthless player. . .Even an elderly lady would never miss that goal.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by DrKitaun(m): 12:27am On Jun 29, 2010
Yakubu missed and Kanu's miss from same distance was worse, he looped it over the bar . . .Yak's undoing was his stereotyped 'placing' move he wanted 2 score with. With that said, he scored a penalty and GUTS at that stage isnt every affected player's friend, ask KLUIVERT !
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Princek12(m): 3:22am On Jun 29, 2010
Sagamite:

Your argument is that since they have played in youth teams, they are no more fresh.

Lets stick with your arguments.

You state (in surmisation): To perform well, one needs to use some fresh players. And new players that have played in youth teams are not fresh.

So how come Ghana is performing without "fresh" players.

Do you see where your logic breaks down?

That is the reason?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

So how come Brazil, Argentina and Germany are doing well without "fresh" players?

Sorry how did you come to that conclusion for me?  undecided

I would have thought my OWN analysis is errors due to lack of concentration on the pitch.

And you claim to have played professionally?  undecided

Professional players train well whether in starting lineups or not. They are NOT unfit.

Their touch may be suspect but not fitness.

You are not understanding my argument. When I mean fresh, I mean introduce new players into the team to replace the non performing, unfocused, and unfit ones. To perform well, one needs to introduce fresh players, if and only if the current players (lets say not fresh) are not performing well. One can perform well if you use players from youth teams, like Ghana, but the players who performed woefully at this World Cup are the old ones. Even though Amodu used some players from the youth teams, there were some players who needed to be axed out of that team but, for some reason, he kept on using them. I don't get it. Yakubu, Shittu, Etuhu, Yobo, among others did not deserve to be on that team, in my opinion.

If certain players in your current squad are not performing well,  a good coach will replace them. Yakubu, Shittu, Yobo, Etuhu, for example,  should have all been replaced. You said the errors was due to lack of concentration on the pitch. Have you ever thought that it is the coach who selects the players who go on the field and fail to concentrate. This problem of concentration, among the other problems like fitness, had been evident all along, but Amodu still used the same players.  He should have replaced them with "fresh" players, that is new players who had never played on the team, but who are fit and will concentrate. He at least could have given them a chance.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by davidif: 5:16am On Sep 13, 2010
My goodness! this thread got to page 86! na wa o.

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 13, 2010
Are you passionate about football? Are you naturally talented? You could visit the United States Visa Free. Check if you qualify at
www.touristvisas.info and www.visainvitationletters.info

Good Luck!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 9:06pm On Oct 07, 2010
Abeg, just out of curiosity and for my personal laughs, where are the crew that said Osaze was rubbish and Lagerback was right for leaving him on the bench in the WC just to help their oyinbo man save face?  grin grin grin grin grin grin

Let me retort if I may:

- Osaze (with Ike Uche) was the star during our WCQs, he carried the team and was the creative/penetrative force of SE. Along with Enyeama, he was one of the most frequently used players in the team for the WCQs.

- During the WC, we hired a Whitey God coach that was not good and did not know our players so he left our best player on the bench whilst using players that were poorer. To save face for those that had some kind of complex, they defended him by castigating the dedicated and committed star that got us to the world cup to help save the white man's face, so they can convince us the Oyinbo messiah is a "super tactician". They said Osaze was shyt and has always been shyt despite being the best, most dedicated and most frequently used player in WCQs.

- After WC, Osaze joins an EPL team and within the first month is named the best player in the Premiership and shines a million stars with goals, assists, awareness, skill, pace and winning penalties.

Now, please can those that said Lagerback was a genius and right for not playing Osaze because he was rubbish come and explain how Osaze was only rubbish when their white coach made an error not fielding him in WC?

Please abeg, make una come. Try and make me laugh. grin grin grin grin grin grin I have tried to be civil and waited one month into his career in West Brom before saying anything.

EVERYTHING I SAID SINCE NOV 2009 WHEN WE QUALIFIED FOR WC CAME TO PASS. I am simply an excellent analyst! cool
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by marcus1234: 9:07pm On Oct 07, 2010

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (Reply)

Referee Bakary Gassama Apologises To Nigeria After South Africa Match / 'FIFA VAR' Introduced In Village Football Competition In Imo State (photos) / World Cup: Psychic Pig Picks Nigeria And Argentina For Semi-final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.