Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,600 members, 7,770,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:46 AM

Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language (57288 Views)

Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Rekeb: 8:44pm On May 25, 2018
Niyinficient:

Goats in general but mostly used for nanny goats.

Guinea pig cant be 'emon' o....guinea pigs are mostly tailess, fieldmice can pass for emon tho

Guinea pig = Emon oyinbo

It is called emon oyinbo because it is not native to Africa. It was brought from south America by the oyinbo people
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Rekeb: 8:47pm On May 25, 2018
[s]White-feathered Bird (Penguin) – Lekeleke
[/s]
Cattle egret = Lekeleke
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Rekeb: 8:48pm On May 25, 2018
uglodoh:

Which animal is ekun?

Leopard = Ekun

1 Like

Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Funibk: 9:48pm On May 25, 2018
For ur cheap mtn data subscription and bulk sms contact us via 08136130102 on what's app, call or sms. 250mb for #200, 500mb for #350, 1gb for #600, 2GB for #1200, 5gb for #2900. Thanks
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by AreaFada2: 10:32pm On May 25, 2018
Mcy56:

My day's good. Thanks.
Think you can just simply 'share' it instead of copying the epistle for reference purpose.
You're welcome dear. I generally do not share posts. I never have. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by superted87: 10:59pm On May 25, 2018
Codeman01:

Akurakuda is crocodile
akurakuda is shark while crocodile is oni.
Alligator is Alegba and ahonrihon is monitor lizard

2 Likes

Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nezero(m): 11:00pm On May 25, 2018
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nezero(m): 11:01pm On May 25, 2018
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Codeman01(m): 11:05pm On May 25, 2018
superted87:

You are correct bro
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by femi4: 6:43am On May 26, 2018
godfatherx:
Tiger is not Ekun, there is no Tiger originally from Africa or Yorubaland, hence no need to give name to it
Don't we have zoo again in Africa
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by femi4: 6:46am On May 26, 2018
Tokziby:
If OBUKO = He goat, what is Ewure?? undecided undecided
goat
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by femi4: 6:47am On May 26, 2018
dokunbam:
Grasshopper - Tata
Abutata
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by femi4: 6:49am On May 26, 2018
kodeya:

Wrong. Inaki is Baboon
Its used for both
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by godfatherx: 8:14am On May 26, 2018
femi4:
Don't we have zoo again in Africa

You are my name sake and Femis are always smart, don't fall my hand pls.
Yoruba language, culture and traditions are older than the era of Zoos, and there's only one zoo (animal reserve) where you can find a tiger in Africa - It's in South Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by femi4: 8:20am On May 26, 2018
godfatherx:

You are my name sake and Femis are always smart, don't fall my hand pls.
Yoruba language, culture and traditions are older than the era of Zoos, and there's only one zoo (animal reserve) where you can find a tiger in Africa - It's in South Africa.
Mumu, You probably didn't know that the vocabularies keep getting large from century to century.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by godfatherx: 8:25am On May 26, 2018
femi4:
Mumu, You probably didn't know that the vocabularies keep getting large from century to century.
Keep it up! So "ekun" is a new vocabulary. I won't use abusive words on you
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by femi4: 8:26am On May 26, 2018
godfatherx:

Keep it up! So "ekun" is a new vocabulary. I won't use abusive words on you
Name given is not a function of original habitat of the animal. Think!
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Mcy56(f): 9:27am On May 26, 2018
AreaFada2:
You're welcome dear. I generally do not share posts. I never have. cheesy
Any particular reason for that if I may ask? Just for learning purpose.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Tokziby: 10:13am On May 26, 2018
okooloyun1:
Obuko is Billy goat
Q
What about ogunfe?
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by AreaFada2: 10:28am On May 26, 2018
Mcy56:

Any particular reason for that if I may ask? Just for learning purpose.
When you share posts the Op knows that you shared his / post. Unlike like that is not shown. The way Nairalanders are mouthed, somebody when you argue with someone whose posts you often share can accuse you of stalking grin cheesy

I do not expose myself to such. Too many disrespectful kiddies on Nairaland. cool
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Tokziby: 10:30am On May 26, 2018
godfatherx:
Tiger is not Ekun, there is no Tiger originally from Africa or Yorubaland, hence no need to give name to it

If u claim Leopard = Ekun, then what is Amotekun??

It's true that there is no Tiger in Africa except in the zoo but u can never write out the possibility of its existence in Africa cos of its given name Ogidan/Ekun.
Remember the Yoruba Adage that says' aja Ti Oba re Ile Ekun to Bo... Were they referring to Leopard, tiger or lion?
Bro think about it...
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Mcy56(f): 1:22pm On May 26, 2018
AreaFada2:

When you share posts the Op knows that you shared his / post. Unlike like that is not shown. The way Nairalanders are mouthed, somebody when you argue with someone whose posts you often share can accuse you of stalking grin cheesy
I do not expose myself to such. Too many disrespectful kiddies on Nairaland. cool
LOL. That means you too like argument and trouble be that. cheesy
NL is nowadays filled with kids that are just weaned. Their level of reasoning is worrisome smiley
Anyway, whatever rocks your boat jor. Have a wonderful weekend.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by 9jakool: 1:25pm On May 26, 2018
Tokziby:

If u claim Leopard = Ekun, then what is Amotekun??

It's true that there is no Tiger in Africa except in the zoo but u can never write out the possibility of its existence in Africa cos of its given name Ogidan/Ekun.
Remember the Yoruba Adage that says' aja Ti Oba re Ile Ekun to Bo... Were they referring to Leopard, tiger or lion?
Bro think about it...

That adage is reffering to a leopard.

Ekun means leopard. It's plain and simple.

Amotekun/Jakumo is not a leopard, but an animal that's related to a leopard. It's a type of wildcat. In reality, there is not a traditional word for tiger in Yoruba as they are not indigenous to Africa, but I've seen people use amotekun for tiger.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by GreatManBee: 3:42pm On May 26, 2018
OoshaRe:
It's amazing to note that the Yoruba language has an equivalent name for anything in English language. The language is so vast and broad.
Here's a little compilation of some animals and the Yoruba equivalent of their names.

Ps: I posted this on twitter so I'm a bit lazy to start typing again so I attached the pictures instead.

Nice compilation.
By the way. Oya is grass cutter or cane rat. Not hedgehog.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Arextex(m): 2:35am On May 29, 2018
[quote author=OduduaDefender post=67880532]Hedgehog is Líìlí and not OYA
Spot on, like the adage " Aki fabada pa Lilli" - You can't kill a Hedgehog with open palm. E&OE
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 06, 2018
2mch:
========================
Cobra – Sebe
Ox , Bull – Malu
Spit Snake – Soro
Gabon viper -- Oka
Dog – Aja
Grass-cutter – Ọya
Pangolin – Akika
Crocodile – Ọni
Alligator – Ahọnrihọn
Pig – Ẹlẹdẹ
Vulture – Igun, Gunnugun, Gurugu, Akala

Wood-pecker– Arigiṣẹgi
Kite – Asa
Palm-Bird – Ologiri
A specie of Bird – Olofẹrẹ
Sparrow – Olokoṣẹ
Peacock – Ọkin
Squirrel – Ọkẹrẹ
Rabbit – Ehoro
crickets – Okinrin/Ire
African giant bush rat – Okete

Wild Goat – Edu
A specie of Deer – Ekulu
Shark – Akurakuda
Rat/Mouse – Eku/Ekute
Earthworm – Ekolo
Sing Bird – Ẹyẹ-Orin
Partridge – Aparo
Horse – Ẹṣin
Donkey – Kẹtẹkẹtẹ
Camel – Rakunmi
Antelope -- Agbonrin
Duiker -- Etu

Ass – Ibakasiẹ
Bat – Adan
Pelican – Ẹyẹ-Ofu
Water-bird – Osin
Dove – Adaba
Viper – Paramọlẹ
Sea-Gulls – Pẹju-pẹju
Yellow-haired Monkey *** Sọmidọlọti/Oloyo
Sea-Bird – Yoja-yoja
Mosquito – Ẹfọn/Yanmu-yanmu

A specie of Beetles – Yanrinbo
Raven – kanankanan
Snail – Igbin/Aginniṣọ
Freshwater Snail – Iṣawuru
Stay – Igala
Steer – Ẹgbọọrọ-Akọ Malu
Trout – Ẹja
Buffalo – Ẹfọn
Monkey – Ọbọ
Ape – Ẹdun

Lizard – Alangba
Lobster – Alakasa
Python -- Ere
Boar – Ẹlẹdẹ Igbo,
Gorilla, Baboon – Inaki, Inoki, Iro
Chimpanzee – Elegbede
Boa-Constrictor – Ojola
Electric Fish – Ojiji
Scorpion – Ojogan/Akeekee
Toad – Opolo

Antelope – Agbonrin
Tick/Flee – Eegbọn
Hippopotamus – Erinmi
Whale --- Erinmilokun
Rhinoceros – Agbamurere
Fox/black-backed jackal – Kọlọkọlọ
Hyena/Wolf – Ikoko
Giraffe – Agufon
Cow – Abo-Malu
Crab – Akan
Wild Pigeon – Oriri

Porcupine – Oorẹ, Eerẹ, Ojigbọn
Black-Ants – Tanpẹpẹ
Centipede – Tanisanko
Millipede – Ọkunrun
Alligator – Awonrinwon
Monitor lizard --- Antaa/Aleegbaa
Frog – Akere, Konko
Chicken – Oromọ-Adiẹ
A specie of owl – Ajao
Hound – Aja-Ọdẹ
Elephant – Erin/Ajanaku

Sheep – Aguntan
Ram – Agbo
Woodcock – Agbe
A species of Woodcock – Aluko
Cattle egret – Lekeleke
Chamelon – Ọga
Praying Mantis --- Alagemo
Crane-Bird – Akọ
Hornbill --- Akalamagbo
Parrot – Odidẹrẹ (Aiyekooto)
Ostrich – Ogongo
White-Ant/termites – Ikan, Ikamudu

Tortoise – Ijapa
Turtle --- Alabahun
Tiger – Ekun
Leopard --- Amotekun
Cheetah --- Owawa
Lion – Kiniun
Pigeon – Ẹyẹle
Pig/Swine – Ẹlẹdẹ
Eagle – Idi .
Guinea Fowl – Awo
Guinea Fowl – Ẹtu
Guinea Pig – Ẹmọ-Ile
Jelly-Fish – Ẹja-Odo

A specie of Bird – Afẹrẹgbojo/Afe-imojo
Spider – Alantakun
Butterfly – Labalaba
Bee – Oyin
Cockroach – Aayan
Cricket – Irẹ
Crab – Akan
Housefly – Eṣinṣin/Eeṣin
Gnats – Kokoro-Ojuọti
Wall-Gecko – Ọmọnle

Mouse – Eliri
Colt Young Horse – Agodongbo
Woodpecker – Akoko
Palm-Bird – Ẹga
Insect – Ipin
Red-Ant – Abonilejọpọn
Civet-cat – Ologede
Zebra – Egbin
Owl – Owiwi
Lice – Ina-Ori

Bed-bug – Idun
Leopard – Amotekun
Hind – Abo-Agbọnrin
Cat – Ologinni
Wild cat --- Ehanna
Turkey – Tolotolo
Swallow – Alapandẹdẹ
Kine – Abo-Malu
Stallion – Akọ-Ẹṣin
Gadfly – Iru, Eṣinṣin-nla
Duck – Pẹpẹyẹ
Jackal – Akata/Ajako
https://www.google.com/amp/s/emotanafricana.com/2017/08/31/yoruba-names-for-some-animals-birds-adelagun-abudu-co/amp/
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 06, 2018
uglodoh:

Which animal is ekun?

Ekun is tiger while Amotekun is the leopard. wink
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 06, 2018
worlexy:
Please What is the English name of the animal that Yoruba says the only dent to its beauty is that its forelimb is longer than its hindlimb (apa re gun ju'tan lo)

I think that's an hyena which is Ikooko in yoruba language
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 06, 2018
Sheuns:
I think ekun actually translate to cheetah, considering the fact that tigers never roamed Africa in the wild. I stand to be corrected though. It's my observation.

No Ekun is simply the tiger, the leopard is Amotekun while the cheetah is called Owawa.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 06, 2018
moscobabs:

No ..Egbin is big like zebra but with brown colour just like antelope. I saw it ones at UI zoo the animal is actually beautiful with tiroo in it eyes

Egbin is either Zebra or Okapi wink
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 06, 2018
superted87:

Wrong
Akurakuda is also a name for crocodile.

Awonrinwon is alligator while Antaa or Aleegbaa is monitor lizard cool
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by 1kinggy(m): 7:53am On Aug 17, 2018
sammyfrosh:

Wrong
Akurakuda is also a name for crocodile.

Awonrinwon is alligator while Antaa or Aleegbaa is monitor lizard cool

Thanks for the corrections. The initial post has a couple of errors. I hope the OP will take note.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Elizabeth Odunlami: 'Ooni Enitan Ogunwusi Promised Me Marriage, Disappointed Me' / Curtis Iredia Eidenogie, The Onogie Of Ubiaja Esanland, Edo. King At Age Of 4 / Sheikh Adio Confronts Oluwo Of Iwo Akanbi: You Wanted To Have Sex With My Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.