Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,169 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Articles On Technology/technology Trends - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Articles On Technology/technology Trends (492 Views)

The Influence On Technology In The Workforce Of Nigeria / Five Interesting Technology Trends For 2018 / Buhari Harps On Technology As Panacea For Climate Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Articles On Technology/technology Trends by vaspire: 8:39am On May 26, 2018
Developer's Mask: What does Technology mean to you?

There is this saying that behind every successful man there is a woman. While that is arguably and laughable too, it is safe to say that behind every developer, there's an intention. This intent could be money, fame or a product to engineer social good. Often I ask myself; what does technology mean to an average Nigeria Developer? Having been in Nigeria tech ecosystem for a while, I realize that for an average Nigeria developer, the driving force is basically money. I can understand this. If you have ever live in a country where you have to provide virtually everything for yourself; electricity, internet, water and a lot. You will realize that when you are trying to survive as a human, you will use every skill at your disposal to make few changes to improve your life. Evidently why the average Nigeria developer push products that would pay to the bank (first) than solving a social cause. If it does, it won't be sustainable. Nevertheless, some products such as PayStack have gone ahead to be a global brand, solving issues and very sustainable.

Today, I read a post by Jan Koum and my perspective changed as a Nigeria Developer. Its longer news that Koum left Facebook on April 30th, 2018.

“Who is Jan Koum”, you ask. I forgive a none-tech enthusiast but for you a tech enthusiast, I will give bar knock �. Jan Koum is one of the primary founders of WhatsApp before it was sold to Facebook. However, Koum have been part of the Facebook community after the acquisition. With a Facebook post, Jan Koum signed off the Facebook executive community.

“It’s been almost a decade since Brian and I started WhatsApp, and it’s been an amazing journey with some of the best people. But it is time for me to move on. I’ve been blessed to work with such an incredibly small team and see how a crazy amount of focus can produce an app used by so many people all over the world. I’m leaving at a time when people are using WhatsApp in more ways than I could have imagined. The team is stronger than ever and it’ll continue to do amazing things. I’m taking some time off to do things I enjoy outside of technology, such as collecting rare air-cooled Porsche, working on my cars and playing ultimate Frisbee. And I’ll still be cheering WhatsApp on — just from the outside. Thanks to everyone who has made this journey possible. ”

Mark replied with a comment;
“Jan: I will miss working so closely with you. I’m grateful for everything you’ve done to help connect the world, and for everything you’ve taught me, including about encryption and its ability to take power from centralized systems and put it back in people’s hands. Those values will always be at the heart of WhatsApp.”

After reading through post, I picked few things that are pertinent as a developer.

1. The goal should be to solve a problem: As a developer, the only reason why I should create a product is to solve problem. Money is good, Fame is sweet but just like the biblical quote “Seek ye the first, kingdom of God and every other thing shall be added unto you”. Developers should have a creative mindset as such. Create a unique product, first to solve a problem, and then we talk about the business.

2. It's cool to Outsource: While it is good to keep faith with your product, it's wisdom to understand and know when to outsource some creative efforts to a wider platform. Leverage on existing platforms to accelerate your growth, both professionally and your product. Should Koum had held unto WhatsApp until now, it can only be imagined what it's fate could have been. Taking that creative decision to sell and have a stake in the company is beautiful. It gave him the professional burst and of course, WhatsApp scaled profitably over the years and still scaling. It's a win-win for all. Product on flick, money to the bank.

3. It's cool to take a walk: On April 30,2018, Koum walked finally. Maybe he wants to try something new. He probably left to do things he mentioned he loved to so; like collecting air-cooled porches and playing ultimate Frisbee. The truth is, irrespective of whatever that led him to leave Facebook at time is important to him. To try new things. That one product sold amazingly and is solving its problem, there could be more. You just have to know when to walk and watch from a distance while you get your hands dirty again. It's all about continuity and posterity. A developer shouldn't sleep after one successful product, do more.

Re: Articles On Technology/technology Trends by FraNKAPP(m): 10:49am On May 26, 2018
You have poured it all out and they are all on track.

“Having been in Nigeria tech ecosystem for a while, I realize that for an average Nigeria developer, the driving force is basically money.”

What does Technology mean to me?

To me, it means an enabler to solve more problems and make more money while doing so. wink
Re: Articles On Technology/technology Trends by kkfada(m): 5:24pm On May 26, 2018
Nice article

(1) (Reply)

Troubleshooting Common Solar Inverter Issues- Galinverter / My Forum Hit 100 User Today After Two Month Creation / 3g Spy Camera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.