Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,729 members, 7,802,207 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:00 AM

Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? (15492 Views)

What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? / Let Learn Java Together / Come Here To Learn Java In Pidgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 12:32pm On May 31, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Yeah, i know... But do i only need to learn java to a developer?
It depends. If you want to make it very simple & straightforward, No, but if it will and advanced app accesible in web or mobile yes. That idea doesn't look heavy on the surface though. Java basics should that fine.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 12:42pm On May 31, 2018
CodeTemplar:
It depends. If you want to make it very simple & straightforward, No, but if it will and advanced app accesible in web or mobile yes. That idea doesn't look heavy on the surface though. Java basics should that fine.

So you mean if it's a simple app, i only need java basics?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 3:16pm On May 31, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

I mean u need the basics to atleast start writing logic. The program or business logic handles the main core decisions.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 3:36pm On May 31, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

No, java basics can help you have the skeletal parts running. Just simple test unit.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by Ivix(m): 7:22pm On May 31, 2018
Hello guys I'm also a beginner to Programming and I've been Learning Java for a while now.
I only just discovered Java How to Program I think it's 9th edition too. CodeTemplar thanks for your input on this thread.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:23pm On May 31, 2018
Ivix:
Hello guys I'm also a beginner to Programming and I've been Learning Java for a while now.
I only just discovered Java How to Program I think it's 9th edition too. CodeTemplar thanks for your input on this thread.

Can you share the link please?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:26pm On May 31, 2018
CodeTemplar:
No, java basics can help you have the skeletal parts running. Just simple test unit.

cry
I'm sorry, i don't understand but i'm willing to learn.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 11:31pm On May 31, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Torrent isn't a normal link kind of system. It is a peer-2-peer sharing or caching system spread accross the globe. Google "how to use torrent to download files".
Most things on torrent are infringing copyright as they are pirated.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:36pm On May 31, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Torrent isn't a normal link kind of system. It is a peer-2-peer sharing or caching system spread accross the globe. Google "how to use torrent to download files".

I think i've a lot to learn grin
CodeTemplar:

I think i've a lot to learn
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:39pm On May 31, 2018
Ivix:

And i think there's an 11th edition of this same book... Java how to program 11th edition(early objects)
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by Ivix(m): 3:03am On Jun 01, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Sorry I didn't download it myself. Someone shared the PDF with me. Try searching for it online I'm sure you'll find it. I also recommend it, it's very good.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 6:46am On Jun 01, 2018
Ivix:

Sorry I didn't download it myself. Someone shared the PDF with me. Try searching for it online I'm sure you'll find it. I also recommend it, it's very good.

please can you send the pdf to my email? Mcgeehayjay@gmail.com

i don't know if i'm allowed to post my contacts.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by Ivix(m): 8:09am On Jun 01, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Hello good morning. The file is about 25MB it can't send via email. Sorry. embarassed
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 8:19am On Jun 01, 2018
Ivix:

Hello good morning. The file is about 25MB it can't send via email. Sorry. embarassed

you got it via torrent too?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by Ivix(m): 8:26am On Jun 01, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

you got it via torrent too?

No. I collected it from someone's computer.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 8:37am On Jun 01, 2018
Ivix:

cry
Ivix:

i think i'll to learn that torrent stuff.
how easy is it to learn java? From your experience.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by Ivix(m): 9:21am On Jun 01, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

cry

i think i'll to learn that torrent stuff.

how easy is it to learn java? From your experience.

I found it tough at the beginning but with time I'm beginning to understand it now. My advice for you is to properly understand the concepts - don't cram try and understand it well - and also master all the repetition statements and selection statements very well.

Take time to watch tutorials on YouTube, visit stackoverflow, Reddit java help section, w3resourse etc. Gather other Java materials, dedicate time and solve lots of problems.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:05am On Jun 01, 2018
Ivix:

I found it tough at the beginning but with time I'm beginning to understand it now. My advice for you is to properly understand the concepts - don't cram try and understand it well - and also master all the repetition statements and selection statements very well.

Take time to watch tutorials on YouTube, visit stackoverflow, Reddit java help section, w3resourse etc. Gather other Java materials, dedicate time and solve lots of problems.

Good luck.

noted!
thanks bro...
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by onwards: 11:28am On Jun 01, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

https://www.pdfdrive.net/java-how-to-program-d29026886.html

@thread Java is a tightly typed language unlike python. Both have their strengths but I will always recommend Java to a beginner.

Python abstracts so many foundational concepts from beginners leading them to type dirty (buggy) code later on.
This is just my opinion, however.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by shineforthmedia: 11:29am On Jun 01, 2018
ClassicMcGee:
why please? And what should i go for?
in my own case i first tried java then i left it learnt php and mastered it before i came back to learn java
and i found learning java very easy
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 3:43pm On Jun 01, 2018
shineforthmedia:

in my own case i first tried java then i left it learnt php and mastered it before i came back to learn java
and i found learning java very easy
wow! What made you abandon it in the first place?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 3:51pm On Jun 01, 2018
onwards:

https://www.pdfdrive.net/java-how-to-program-d29026886.html

@thread Java is a tightly typed language unlike python. Both have their strengths but I will always recommend Java to a beginner.

Python abstracts so many foundational concepts from beginners leading them to type dirty (buggy) code later on.
This is just my opinion, however.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot sir! You just saved me a lot of stress...
i really appreciate!

I'm still in the dilenma: PYTHON VS JAVA...
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 4:08pm On Jun 01, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Thanks a lot sir! You just saved me a lot of stress...
i really appreciate!

I'm still in the dilenma: PYTHON VS JAVA...
I an not a pythonista but I may drop one or tips then I recommend just any language if as you stated earlier harming yourself with a programming lang for implementations of ideas and school work is your goal. The most important thing you need is to have basic programming ideas like variables, constants, selection(if, if...else, and switch), then also looping(for, while, do...while).
To me java is a deep language that is worth putting years into. If done properly it will position you for web programming, mobile programming, desktop, enterprise programming etc
plus it can help start writimg apps in good time. To me java is in top 2 language. It is always java vs [another language] considering comparison of general purpose languages.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 4:32pm On Jun 01, 2018
CodeTemplar:
I an not a pythonista but I may drop one or tips then I recommend just any language if as you stated earlier harming yourself with a programming lang for implementations of ideas and school work is your goal. The most important thing you need is to have basic programming ideas like variables, constants, selection(if, if...else, and switch), then also looping(for, while, do...while).
To me java is a deep language that is worth putting years into. If done properly it will position you for web programming, mobile programming, desktop, enterprise programming etc
plus it can help start writimg apps in good time. To me java is in top 2 language. It is always java vs [another language] considering comparison of general purpose languages.

To go really deep into java and be a worldclass developer: a very good understanding of algorithms, data structures and some adv maths(probably will be taught in school)... I'm just trying to lay a good foundation before then.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 4:37pm On Jun 01, 2018
CodeTemplar:
I mean u need the basics to atleast start writing logic. The program or business logic handles the main core decisions.

Can i learn enough to start earning(no matter how small) in a year?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 5:03pm On Jun 01, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Can i learn enough to start earning(no matter how small) in a year?
I doubt that especially as you are a student joggling it with studies. Though I never can tell your learning speed.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 5:05pm On Jun 01, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

To go really deep into java and be a worldclass developer: a very good understanding of algorithms, data structures and some adv maths(probably will be taught in school)... I'm just trying to lay a good foundation before then.
Is Java programming part of your course schedule? If yes then learning it will aid those things you mentioned.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 8:57pm On Jun 01, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Is Java programming part of your course schedule? If yes then learning it will aid those things you mentioned.

yes it's part of our schedule...
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 12:24pm On Jun 03, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Yes you can. Though to go real deep into java requires work you can start with it. I did and I am not regretting it. Thanks.

I stumbled on an HTML tutorial yesterday, i spent 10hours yesterday and learnt the whole stuff!
it was fascinating how easily i could create things, i've started HTML5.
Am i on the right track?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 12:30pm On Jun 03, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

I stumbled on an HTML tutorial yesterday, i spent 10hours yesterday and learnt the whole stuff!
Am i on the right track?
Y e s !
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 03, 2018
Ivix:

contact me

I have something for you
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by GreatAchiever1: 5:22pm On Jun 03, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Am i on the right track?

Would you mind telling me the tutorial or how I can get it??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mobile Technology: Lets Build A Mobile App With Javascript / Function Points (FP) Vs Lines Of Code (LOC) / Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.