Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? (15600 Views)

What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? / Let Learn Java Together / Come Here To Learn Java In Pidgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 7:49pm On Jun 03, 2018
GreatAchiever1:

Would you mind telling me the tutorial or how I can get it??
Pluralsight. check out tutorialspoint HTML5 Tutorials too.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 7:55pm On Jun 03, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Pluralsight.
check out tutorialspoint HTML5 Tutorials too.
Do you use a paid plurasight account or you got it from torrent?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by onwards: 9:09am On Jun 05, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Do you use a paid plurasight account or you got it from torrent?

Check out Udacity's lessons too. They have some of the best materials available for Devops. Also, their teaching style is very beginner friendly.

I found that if you go with their lessons you will be comfortable reading Documentation and code samples without hassles - two skills that can hasten your progress beyond words.

They can be slow however but that's not a dealbreaker.

Also, the curriculum is usually curated by some of the best in the industry together with learning experts. You can expect to learn only best practices and not dirty codes.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:26am On Jun 05, 2018
onwards:

Check out Udacity's lessons too. They have some of the best materials available for Devops. Also, their teaching style is very beginner friendly.

I found that if you go with their lessons you will be comfortable reading Documentation and code samples without hassles - two skills that can hasten your progress beyond words.

They can be slow however but that's not a dealbreaker.

Also, the curriculum is usually curated by some of the best in the industry together with learning experts. You can expect to learn only best practices and not dirty codes.

Noted! Thanks... I think udacity uses video lectures?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by onwards: 11:23am On Jun 05, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Noted! Thanks... I think udacity uses video lectures?

Mostly Video lectures. There are some text too and reference to online documentation once in a while.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:34am On Jun 05, 2018
onwards:

Mostly Video lectures. There are some text too and reference to online documentation once in a while.

Are their courses affordable please?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 11:53am On Jun 05, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Are their courses affordable please?
? ?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by onwards: 11:59am On Jun 05, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Are their courses affordable pleases?
They are free but you don't get certificates of completion.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 1:47pm On Jun 05, 2018
onwards:
They are free but you don't get certificates of completion.
Cool, i already enrolled for a CSC101 nanodegree course... i think i'm being a jack of all trades, "wink; do you think i can master both (web & mobile development(java)) ?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 2:15pm On Jun 05, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Cool, i already enrolled for a CSC101 nanodegree course...
i think i'm being a jack of all trades,
"wink; do you think i can master both (web & mobile development(java)) ?
You didn't answer my pluralsight question.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 3:03pm On Jun 05, 2018
CodeTemplar:
You didn't answer my pluralsight question.
sorry!
i got access through the microsoft visual studio program..
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 3:09pm On Jun 05, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

sorry!
i got access through the microsoft visual video program.
Could you please describe this microsoft visual video program. I don't have access to the net on pc now.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 3:11pm On Jun 05, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Could you please describe this microsoft visual video program. I don't have access to the net on pc now.

Do you have a microsoft account?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 3:15pm On Jun 05, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Do you have a microsoft account?
No.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 3:32pm On Jun 05, 2018
CodeTemplar:
No.
create one at signup.live.com
then visit my.visualstudio.com and sign it with your microsoft account. This will open the Visual studio dev essentials. Here choose pluralsight among the benefits and activate.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by onwards: 5:31pm On Jun 05, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Cool, i already enrolled for a CSC101 nanodegree course...
i think i'm being a jack of all trades,
"wink; do you think i can master both (web & mobile development(java)) ?

My advice is to stick to one path until you are FAIRLY comfortable, then branch out.

Fairly = Can create simple products and leverage simple third party library in your code.

But I recommend you take that CSC101 course. Some things may not make sense to you rightaway in the course of the tutorial but just bull your way through.

You will have those Eureka moments when you begin writing complex code in OOP.

The foundation is the real deal here. Get it right and you'll never have to worry about picking up any new language ever again.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 9:03pm On Jun 05, 2018
onwards:

My advice is to stick to one path until you are FAIRLY comfortable, then branch out.

Fairly = Can create simple products and leverage simple third party library in your code.

But I recommend you take that CSC101 course. Some things may not make sense to you rightaway in the course of the tutorial but just bull your way through.

You will have those Eureka moments when you begin writing complex code in OOP.

The foundation is the real deal here. Get it right and you'll never have to worry about picking up any new language ever again.

Thanks a bunch... Are you a software developer?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 9:06pm On Jun 05, 2018
CodeTemplar:
No.

You can get a free 3 months subscription, using the method i stated earlier(visual studio)...
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:31pm On Jun 06, 2018
CodeTemplar:
No.
seem's i haven't answered to your satisfaction
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 11:18pm On Jun 06, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

seem's i haven't answered to your satisfaction
I meant i don't have MicroSoft account.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 6:57am On Jun 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
I meant i don't have MicroSoft account.

i said earlier, you can create one and login to the visual studio program and get 3 free months subscription to pluralsight.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 7:40am On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

i said earlier, you can create one and login to the visual studio program and get 3 free months subscription to pluralsight.
Ok.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 8:10am On Jun 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Ok.

heard i could build an app with HTML5 and deplny to mobile using ionic, how true is that?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 8:27am On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

heard i could build an app with HTML5 and deplny to mobile using ionic, how true is that?
There are platforms that do that but i haven't explored any.
It is possible but have it in your mind that most frameworks are built upon languages so if iconic isn't built upon your language of choice you may have to learn another language and that exposes you to learning multiple language same time. It can be distracting.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 10:47am On Jun 07, 2018
Python is a better choice for beginners tbh, that’s if you’re just trying to learn for the sake of learning and it isn’t a job requirement or something

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 1:11pm On Jun 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
There are platforms that do that but i haven't explored any.
It is possible but have it in your mind that most frameworks are built upon languages so if iconic isn't built upon your language of choice you may have to learn another language and that exposes you to learning multiple language same time. It can be distracting.

Pheew! I wish there a was a language that could do everything. So frustrating.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 1:21pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:
Python is a better choice for beginners tbh, that’s if you’re just trying to learn for the sake of learning and it isn’t a job requirement or something

Yeah i'm stuck at "while loop", can you help out?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 2:12pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Yeah i'm stuck at "while loop", can you help out?
What’s the question?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 4:10pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:
What’s the question?
I just need an explanation on how it works, do you mind?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by wane01(m): 4:32pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Pheew! I wish there a was a language that could do everything. So frustrating.
My simple advice is to learn one language and get a good grasp before reaching out ....
Some new modern languages are now being carved out from older languages e.g GO from c++, react native from js e.t.c
Once you know the basic programming concepts the only problem you would have is adjusting to a new language syntax
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by wane01(m): 4:38pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

I just need an explanation on how it works, do you mind?
its just like the name "While"
lemme give a layman's explanation ;
"While" am asleep ... you keep on fanning me .. when I wake you stop .
Try getting an example of a while loop in a simpler language like python and understand the concept before recoding in your language
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 4:42pm On Jun 07, 2018
wane01:

My simple advice is to learn one language and get a good grasp before reaching out ....
Some new modern languages are now being carved out from older languages e.g GO from c++, react native from js e.t.c
Once you know the basic programming concepts the only problem you would have is adjusting to a new language syntax

Python?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This / The Top 25 Global Finalist For NASA Space App: A Nairalander Represents Nigeria / Lets Learn C# Here!(study Group For Beginners)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.