Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,968 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? (15632 Views)

What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? / Let Learn Java Together / Come Here To Learn Java In Pidgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by wane01(m): 4:46pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Python?
python has its own originality ..
We have languages that have been coined recently or I can say are relatively young .
React native was made by devs from Facebook for building not so complex native apps.
Go was built by devs from Google also
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 4:48pm On Jun 07, 2018
wane01:

its just like the name "While"
lemme give a layman's explanation ;
"While" am asleep ... you keep on fanning me .. when I wake you stop .
Try getting an example of a while loop in a simpler language like python and understand the concept before recoding in your language
Thanks i understand that,
what i don't understand is while: true. I think you understand cause i don't how to explain.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 4:51pm On Jun 07, 2018
wane01:

python has its own originality ..
We have languages that have been coined recently or I can say are relatively young .
React native was made by devs from Facebook for building not so complex native apps.
Go was built by devs from Google also

So learning JAVA/C++/C would make me understand programming basics better, so i can easily switch to a new language?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 4:56pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

I just need an explanation on how it works, do you mind?
Sure. It basically executes statements repeatedly as long as the condition (boolean expression) you’ve given is true

Syntax

while(booleanExpression){

//your statement

}

Example

class WhileLoop{
public static void main(String args[]){

int classicMcGee = 25; //Integer variable set to 25

while (classicMcGee <=30){
System.out.println(classicMcGee);
classicMcGee++;
}
}
}

1. So it checks if your condition is true (in this case, we’re checking if classicMcGee who is 25 is less than or equal to 30).

2. If the condition is true, the variable is incremented by however much you’ve set, in this case, classicMcGee++ means it will be incremented by one every time

3. This will continue in a loop until the condition is longer true, so when it hits 30, it will stop. E.g. 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30.

Infinite while loop example

This type of while loop is when the loop never ends as long as the condition given is always true. Syntax is the same you just change the condition

class WhileLoopInfinite{

while (classicMcGee = 25){
System.out.println(“ClassicMcGee, don’t you age?”);
classicMcGee++
}
}
}

It will print out the line ‘ClassicMcGee, don’t you age?’ infinitely lol

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by Thegamingorca(m): 4:59pm On Jun 07, 2018
You are a hot geek angry
ibkayee:

Sure. It basically executes statements repeatedly as long as the condition (boolean expression) you’ve given is true

Syntax

//your statement

}

Example

class WhileLoop{

classicMcGee++
}
}
}

1. So it checks if your condition is true (in this case, we’re checking if classicMcGee who is 25 is less than or equal to 30).

2. If the condition is true, the variable is incremented by however much you’ve set, in this case, classicMcGee++ means it will be incremented by one every time
3. This will continue in a loop until the condition is longer true, so when it hits 30, it will stop. E.g. 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30.

This type of while loop is when the loop never ends as long as the condition given is always true. Syntax is the same you just change the condition

class WhileLoopInfinite{

classicMcGee++
}
}
}

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by wane01(m): 5:02pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

So learning JAVA/C++/C would make me understand programming basics better, so i can easily switch to a new language?
do some research first..
some languages have many branches u can explore like JAVA .. it applies to mobile nd a bit of web (spring) and same also python where u can make softwares and also do web apps using its frameworks.
As for the basics python or html can help what separates languages are the syntax structure and a few things
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by wane01(m): 5:04pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

Syntax

//your statement

}

Example

class WhileLoop{

classicMcGee++;
}
}
}

class WhileLoopInfinite{

classicMcGee++
}
}
}

u wrote in java ... wouldnt it be best if he learns the while loop in python so he can grasp the main message nd recode
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 5:09pm On Jun 07, 2018
wane01:

u wrote in java ... wouldnt it be best if he learns the while loop in python so he can grasp the main message nd recode
Ohhh I thought he wanted it in Java
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by wane01(m): 6:24pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

since he wanted to understand the while concept .. I think sumfin simple and straight to the point would be suitable ..
Can you do me the favour to write it
cc pcguru1 .. 4kings .. olamil34
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 7:06pm On Jun 07, 2018
wane01:

since he wanted to understand the while concept .. I think sumfin simple and straight to the point would be suitable ..
Can you do me the favour to write it
cc pcguru1 .. 4kings .. olamil34
I don’t use python so sorry for any mistakes

number = 1
while (number < 10):
print number
number = number + 1

Output:

Logic:

1. As long as ‘number’ is less than 10, print ‘number’ (eg. number is 1 because it has been set to 1)
2. Add 1 to ‘number’ (eg. 1 + 1 = 2)
3. The value of number is now stored as 2
4. Continue (loop)
5. As long as ‘number’ is less than 10, print number (eg. number is 2)
6. Add 1 to ‘number’ (eg. 2 + 1 = 3)
7. The value of number is now stored as 3
8. Continue...(loop)
9. Stop when the value of number has reached 9 because 10 is not less than 10

Real life logic:

As long as (ClassicMcGee practices):
ClassicMcGee will improve
If he stops he won’t

So the condition is that ClassicMcGee practices. As long as he continues to practice he will improve. As soon as he stops he will not improve
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:
Please self taught programmers, what do you think?

Java is actually good, learning C++ might not be a good idea, because you will have to learn alot about C++ and some indepth stuff and understand why certain things should taken into consideration than evn learning the language, but at some point the knowledge of C++ is very strong, you wlll really gain deep insight. however the main question is your drive, if you learn and don't follow up and build something with it, then it means you're just wasting your time.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:09pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

Do you program in Java
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 8:15pm On Jun 07, 2018
ToyinDipo:

Do you program in Java
Not for work, did it at school mostly
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:40pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

Not for work, did it at school mostly
Oh, I remember you once mentioned it

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by wane01(m): 9:26pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

number = 1
while (number < 10):
print number
number = number + 1

Output:

Logic:

1. As long as ‘number’ is less than 10, print ‘number’ (eg. number is 1 because it has been set to 1)
4. Continue (loop)
7. The value of number is now stored as 3
8. Continue...(loop)
9. Stop when the value of number has reached 9 because 10 is not less than 10

Real life logic:

If he stops he won’t

So the condition is that ClassicMcGee practices. As long as he continues to practice he will improve. As soon as he stops he will not improve
You've said it all Miss ..
What more can I say?

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 9:33pm On Jun 07, 2018
pcguru1:

Java is actually good, learning C++ might not be a good idea, because you will have to learn alot about C++ and some indepth stuff and understand why certain things should taken into consideration than evn learning the language, but at some point the knowledge of C++ is very strong, you wlll really gain deep insight. however the main question is your drive, if you learn and don't follow up and build something with it, then it means you're just wasting your time.

Noted sir! I think i'll stick with JAVA for now.
Thanks, i really appreciate your response.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 9:58pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

while(booleanExpressio

Example

class WhileLoop{

classicMcGee++;
}
}
}

3. This will continue in a loop until the condition is longer true,

Wow! It's amazing seeing a lady that code...
Thanks for the simplified version, i really appreciate you finding out time to put a newbie through. How did you start coding? Was it tough? Sorry, I'm just curious.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:10pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

number = 1
while (number < 10):
print number
number = number + 1

Output:

Logic:

4. Continue (loop)

Real life logic:

If he stops he won’t

while (ibkayee guides ClassicMcGee)
ClassicMcGee will be obliged to learn
if she doesn't //what will happen?;"wink
lol!
i need to step up algorithm..
i think i get it now,thanks!
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Wow! It's amazing seeing a lady that code...
Thanks for the simplified version, i really appreciate you finding out time to put a newbie through. How did you start coding? Was it tough? Sorry, I'm just curious.
Hey dear, I studied it at school. Trust me once you get the hang of it, you'll look back and realise what I did was nothing special lol but I'm happy to help. Learning the syntax isn't that tough, it's the problem solving/how you're to apply the code in certain situations that can be the most challenging, it really helps to practice smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 10:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

lol!
So which lang did u finally settle for? Python? Java?, c++? Or you just experimenting?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:36pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

Hey dear, I studied it at school. Trust me once you get the hang of it, you'll look back and realise what I did was nothing special lol but I'm happy to help. Learning the syntax isn't that tough, it's the problem solving/how you're to apply the code in certain situations that can be the most challenging, it really helps to practice smiley

in school?
In awe of yousmiley, there's this believe that you'll never be taught practically how to program. That leaves me wondering which school you attended? Maybe CU)
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 10:43pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

lol!

while (classicMcGee asks ibkaye for guidance):
print 'ibkayee will always be happy to try'
if not, she will stop

grin
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 10:45pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

in school?
In awe of yousmiley, there's this believe that you'll never be taught practically how to program. That leaves me wondering which school you attended? Maybe CU)
I think it just depends on how much time, effort and practice you put into it tbh, as long as the resources are there, no matter where you learn.
I didn't attend school in Nigeria smiley
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:50pm On Jun 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
So which lang did u finally settle for? Python? Java?, c++? Or you just experimenting?

i now have some really impressive JAVA tutors, CodeTemplar, ibkayee , pcguru1, wane01.

Class Final_Decision{

Public static void main(strings[] args)
{
system.out.print/n("i stick with JAVA"wink;
}
}

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by CodeTemplar: 10:56pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

in school?
which sch are u targetting for admin or attending?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:58pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

while (classicMcGee asks ibkaye for guidance):
print 'ibkayee will always be happy to try'
if not, she will stop

grin

grin
Thanks, can you recommend some amazing resources that could speed up my learning, and write clean codes like you do?
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 11:03pm On Jun 07, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

grin
Thanks, can you recommend some amazing resources that could speed up my learning, and write clean codes like you do?
Udemy
HackerRank
CodeAcademy
Treehouse

If you have questions, search https://stackoverflow.com
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by Thegamingorca(m): 11:05pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:

Udemy
HackerRank
CodeAcademy
Treehouse

angry you are turning me on...you sexy geek.
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ibkayee(f): 11:06pm On Jun 07, 2018
Thegamingorca:

Lol mtchew
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:07pm On Jun 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
which sch are u targetting for admin or attending?

FUTA...
Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:13pm On Jun 07, 2018
Thegamingorca:

maybe you should code your message in JAVA, so ibkayee can understand. cheesy

lemme be going before he pounce on me. wink

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:17pm On Jun 07, 2018
ibkayee:
Udemy HackerRank CodeAcademy Treehouse
Do you code in JAVA alone? Read somewhere that you built your dad a website.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This / The Top 25 Global Finalist For NASA Space App: A Nairalander Represents Nigeria / Lets Learn C# Here!(study Group For Beginners)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.