Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,130 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

You Can Start With A Low Paying Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / You Can Start With A Low Paying Job (4974 Views)

HELP!!! Temporary Well Paying Job VS Permanent Low Paying One / Before You Quit Your Low Paying Job Check This List / I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 19, 2007
hello everyone,i hope that this little story of mine would let some of the umemployed graduates out there to know that in order to make it in life,you don't really have to start with giant strides(big pay checks),remember always that an ocean could be made from little drops of water.

I just finished my NYSC two months ago.While my friends were busy writing bank tests and other jobs' tests,i was busy getting more dedicated to the school where i was carrying out my primary assignment.Hoping and praying to God to be retained immediately after service. Because i would rather have one or more years of a low paying job than have experience one day of idleless.Although i have not had any job seeking experineces,i do know alot of people who are going through that and i don't want to have a feel of it.

Thanks be to God,i was retained.I got my letter of employment as an English language teacher in the private shool where i did my primary assignment, a day after i passed out.The salary is not all that 'mighty',but it's enough to cater to a whole lot of my needs,and most importantly for me to be able to provide my transportation fares to wherever i am being called for any test or interview(though i have written just one). That is the essence of my hoping to be retained. It could be embarrassing sometimes when asking folks for money,it's even worse when one is a graduate and is through with service.At the moment,i have seen a shop,whose rent i could afford;where i can set up a provision shop. Mind you,i have only received two months salary!

Some of my friends laugh when i tell them about my teaching job.They feel its too a demeaning and a low paid job.But i care less about what they think because they don't know better.just like my mother would say:
" It is better to add to your CV than joining the lists of unemployed graduates on the street."
As soon as i get something better,i would up and leave,but at the moment,am enjoying every itsy-bitsy part of my teaching job.
Can i get a witness?
I hope i reached to someone.
" The journey of a thousand miles,, "
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by eesaah(m): 11:35pm On Mar 19, 2007
Hi Lovelyn690,

You ve spoken well.Afterall, half bread(or puff puff) is better than none.I was also retained as a maths teacher in the school i served, after 4months i got a better job somewhere and i quit the teaching job.If unemployed graduates will agree to accept low paying jobs that come their ways atleast for a start, the number of unemployed grad roaming the street with brown envelop searching for high paying jobs that are not forthcoming will ve reduced.

Anyway, i just pray that we all get what we wish for in life.

Remain blessed
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by uchman80(m): 12:04am On Mar 20, 2007
Hi,

that was very taughtful of you. You taught well and it shows you are a wise person, keep it up, tumbs up.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Ofuks(m): 7:37am On Mar 20, 2007
Broda,

You have done well. Like you I believe in success stories and in good time all our dreams will come true. It is well. Cheers.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 20, 2007
i had to work for free at Otigba(computer village) because of the values that would lead me to a career in IT.

May God help the Nigerian Graduate!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Cybog: 11:05am On Mar 20, 2007
Lovelyn, Nice one to learn from.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by senetee(m): 11:16am On Mar 20, 2007
Time waits for nobody.
Idleness is a terrible thing especially for a young person.
Also, how many vacant positions are actually out there for graduates? Even if there are, do the graduates have any practical and implemetable skills at the point of NYSC exit?

Therefore if you cannot get into a high paying firm, PLEASE get something to do that will eventually help you get that cool job you need.

So, there is nothing wrong and degrading with starting with a low paying job.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by diyobdw(f): 12:47pm On Mar 20, 2007
@ topic: intersting wink
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by kassim2(m): 1:50pm On Mar 20, 2007
that is great,and u are going to places.i bet u.keep on going in faith.u are blessed
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by kassim2(m): 1:56pm On Mar 20, 2007
that is great,and u are going to places.i bet u.keep on going in faith.u are blessed
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Tayoiberu(f): 3:54pm On Mar 20, 2007
Nice one
As a fresh graduate, take what comes your way to boost your CV because when u eventually get called for interview in a big firm what u hear at the end of the day is that u dnt hv much experience but if u start from somewhere am sure a better one will surely come along the line
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 5:28pm On Mar 20, 2007
Well, i understand where you're coming from, but you must realise that settling down with a low paying job encourages complacency. at times you need the bite of hunger within you to really MOVE!!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by segedoo(m): 7:01pm On Mar 20, 2007
may god let's all apply wisdom.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by peeceelove(m): 10:01am On Mar 21, 2007
i ve a similar expirence, while in port Harcourt, after my youth service i i was retained in the school i did my primary assignmnet, with a starting package of 14k although i left it due to the high cost of living in port. i came down to lagos to start another Job three months after with a salary of 15k, i felt its better than nothing. to God be the glory i did my Marriage introduction from this same organisation, some months later i was invited for an interview with a bigger company, to my utmost surprise my one year expirence in the other company paid off, the long and shot of the story is i was given a better position with a good pay of which some months later i got married. YES GO OUT FOR THAT LITTLE JOB IF THE BIG ONES ARE NOT COMING , REMEMBER THEY MIGHT BE YOUR SPRING BOARD TO BIGGER JOBS wink
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by agnesoseka: 11:03am On Mar 21, 2007
sure,cos Rome wasnt built in a day, besides, alot of rich pple started with vry little salaries bt today its obvious as in their achievements, so i started wit a small pay and i knw d difference btw wat i started wit and wat I earn presently.good luck all the same.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Blesscy(m): 1:22pm On Mar 21, 2007
Lovelyn,I salute ur courage.Very thoughtful of you.U are a big encouragement to many unemployed guys if only they will take to it.
Just keep it up.
We should follow our heart.Be passionate about life.
It is well.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by believeme: 4:33pm On Mar 21, 2007
My friend that will finished NYSC 2gether got an offer from his Hausa friend 2 stay back but said his brother said he should not stay back. But now he hasnt get any job from his said brother.
Currntly I work with just 20k as salary but have in mind startn biz and not allwoing my pay to deter me. Besides my friends asked me to go 4 more professional courses but i told therm i need 2 do biz because Nigeria clamor on paper qualification rather than what u can offer.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by carpenter(m): 5:47pm On Mar 22, 2007
Well, it will be nice to add to this! I graduated some 3years ago from the University. While waiting for service (NYSC), i went back to the coy where I did my Industrial Attachment (IT); i read Engineering in school. I got a job there for 5k in 2003 and believe me 5k was as bad as it is now! well the next two months, i got 10k, then they asked me to come and serve with them and increased to 15k, I went for the 3weeks camp and when I returned, i asked for 20k. As at this time, i believed i had proved my worth and could now bargain for something better. Well, maybe not much, but as a youth corper earning 27.5k, I was a big boy in my class. This went on for the year during NYSC , i moved to another coy 5months after service and still there. The lesson here is that i got my present job from recommendations from my former employer (although there were certain issues to deal with). I presently earn good money which is nothing compared with what I used to earn. I say start doing something but keep ur eyes focused on the goal.

N.B: When i went to the coy where I did my IT, the MD asked me how much i wanted to earn; i wasn't expecting the question, 5k came out of my mouth. I thank God for that day!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by chinenyeB(f): 6:51pm On Mar 22, 2007
It is better to be somewhere than nowhere at all.No let devil use u do work shop.U no what i mean,"all sorts of thoughts comes into ur mind then.the good and the bad.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by oom62: 7:55pm On Mar 22, 2007
Lovelyn well done! I am very proud of you and I pray that God will take you higher and higher.  My advise to every graduate is not to forsake the days of humble beginnings, even the Bible says that humility comes before honour, if we can all as Nigerians have this humble attitude we will go very far. Remember, no condition is permanent for anyone. The mere fact that you started with a low paying job does not mean you will die with a low paying job but the key thing is to start from somewhere.  If I ever set up a company in Nigeria, I would be looking to employing people like you Lovelyn. I am moving back finally to Nigeria very soon and I pray that God will bring people like you accross my path.  You will continue to be promoted by the grace of God.  All the best to you and well done! I truly applaud you. smiley smiley cheesy
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by beau1(f): 9:00am On Mar 23, 2007
Nice one but don't be satisfied with this level. Aim higher, let it be a stepping stone to higher heights for you. Wishing you the ver best in life!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by crito(m): 3:57pm On Mar 30, 2007
nice one.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Nobody: 8:50pm On Mar 30, 2007
I  would like to say a big thank you to all fellow landers who in their little ways encouraged and kind of gave me a pat on the back for going for a low paying job whilst hoping on and working towards getting a better job offer.it really means a lot to me,knowing that there are a lot of people out there who see life and understand the way i do. Even though some think i didn't make a good choice,they feel i should aim high and not settle for a low paying job.Well,i'd like you to know that settling for a low paying job is just for the time being.Infact recently i was called for an interview that would fetch me big pay but, read below

Imagine this: I got a call from a friend in Abuja,asking to come for an interview in one firm in Abuja.I'd rather not mention the name of this firm,because what am about to say might have a delible mark on their firm. They needed a P.A from what i learnt from my friend.I was shocked to the marrow when i went for the interview,or better put tete-a-tete. instead of an interwiew,i was asked four times if i was competent for the job of a P.A and four times i said yes.Unknown to me,their definition of 'competency' was differnt from mine.

They needed a female P.A who is very competent in luring company owners into beds so as to award contracts to particular firm. And the pay is very very big,i must tell y'all.

I know am a female English teacher who's been paid a paltry salary,but i think it's still better than the offer they wanted to give to me at Abuja.If getting a big paying job would warrant my warming every Dick,Tom, and Jerry's beds,then i say  to hell with big paying jobs.I am content with the little i am getting.

I just hope that some people's desperations,especially jobless ladies,would not lead them into selling their bodies just to be paid big for any kind of job.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Nobody: 2:39am On Mar 31, 2007
lovelyn690 u make me proud to be associated with you as a nigerian. Keep it up and the Lord who sees your heart reward you.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 8:46am On Mar 31, 2007
@lovelyn690
Nice of you to stand by your principles, but lemme draw your attention to your first post. you wrote

I just finished my NYSC two months ago.While my friends were busy writing bank tests and other jobs' tests,i was busy getting more dedicated to the school where i was carrying out my primary assignment.Hoping and praying to God to be retained immediately after service. Because i would rather have one or more years of a low paying job than have experience one day of idleless.Although i have not had any job seeking experineces,i do know alot of people who are going through that and i don't want to have a feel of it.

So indirectly, what you're saying is you made no effort to secure a job (apart from your school) during your NYSC. I don't think that's wise in any way. You're supposed to be proactive, you're supposed to hit the ground running as soon as you start your NYSC. I know many people (even i am an example!) that started work immediately after NYSC because they'd been chasing jobs since. Where's the job supposed to come from if you don't actively pursue it?
As i said before, you risk becoming complacent in your current place of work, which you yourself have admitted pays a paltry salary.

I mean, sure, i made sure i delivered my best to the school i was assigned to, but it remained evergreen in my mind that i AM an engineer, that's what i was trained to do and it was never an option that i'd let my dream stagnate and die. Even from the school i suggest you start hussling for your next job ASAP. If you need help, contact me.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Lafem(m): 1:57pm On Apr 01, 2007
texazzpete:

@lovelyn690
Nice of you to stand by your principles, but let me draw your attention to your first post. you wrote

So indirectly, what you're saying is you made no effort to secure a job (apart from your school) during your NYSC. I don't think that's wise in any way. You're supposed to be proactive, you're supposed to hit the ground running as soon as you start your NYSC. I know many people (even i am an example!) that started work immediately after NYSC because they'd been chasing jobs since. Where's the job supposed to come from if you don't actively pursue it?
As i said before, you risk becoming complacent in your current place of work, which you yourself have admitted pays a paltry salary.

I mean, sure, i made sure i delivered my best to the school i was assigned to, but it remained evergreen in my mind that i AM an engineer, that's what i was trained to do and it was never an option that i'd let my dream stagnate and die. Even from the school i suggest you start hussling for your next job ASAP. If you need help, contact me.

Bro, perhaps you should've patiently read her entire narrative before jumping the gun and concluding that her decision was borne out of a lack of motivation on her part. Obviously you were in too much of a hurry to fault the decision that you failed to read where the lady wrote [emphasis on the bolded/blue texts]:

Thanks be to God,i was retained.I got my letter of employment as an English language teacher in the private shool where i did my primary assignment, a day after i passed out.The salary is not all that 'mighty',but it's enough to cater to a whole lot of my needs,and most importantly for me to be able to provide  my transportation fares to wherever i am being called for any test or interview(though i have written just one). That is the essence of my hoping to be retained. It could be embarrassing sometimes when asking folks for money,it's even worse when one is a graduate and is through with service,

So you can see that the lady did state that her primary motivation for retaining the teaching job was in order to be able to cater to her [b]'needs and most importantly to be able to provide transportation fares to job interviews and tests'!! [/b]My guy, you don't know this lady's background and financial circumstances/situation, and therefore have no basis to conclude that her decision was 'not wise', as you put it. This is naija we're talking about, where there are hardly enoff jobs to go around, where the situation is so desperate that it's not uncommon for over a 1000 graduates to apply at 10 job openings in one single company -- bottomline is the jobs just aren't there to support your fantastic sermonette. For all you know, the babe may be from a humble background, which may explain why she chose that route. And talking about complacency, gimme a frigging break, jose. How much more motivated could an individual be than has been demonstrated by this young lady? It's presumptuous to suggest that she wasn't being 'proactive' or didn't exert enoff effort to secure a job with that jumbo pay, just because you know a few [and prolly] lucky or privileged folks [out of tens of thousands of others who weren't so lucky or fortunate] who were fortunate enoff to secure jumbo-paying jobs shortly after serving. Get real and step out of your bubble, bro., because believe it or not there are many motivated graduates out there who had to settle for your so-called paltry salary there in naija simply because that's the BEST offer they could get; that thin wedge between starvation/joblessness and employment. Again, I repeat, THERE ARE WAY TOO FEW JUMBO PAYING JOBS TO GO AROUND. Atleast she's starting from somewhere. Or would you rather they starve or go about begging for transport fare to interviews for jobs that may never be forth-coming, or better-yet, can YOU guarantee every naija graduate a job with a jumbo pay?
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 7:15am On Apr 02, 2007
@Lafem
You finished raving yet? This lady has posted this piece not only with the intention of sharing her experiences with others, but also as a way of passing on advice to others. While it is true that most people don't get jobs during or immediately after service, i know many people who've gotten jobs during NYSC and just immediately after service. of those who got immediately after service (including me!) all applied while serving. So even if the situation is desperate, and the number of those who get these jobs are few compared to those who don't get it, should that be an excuse for not even trying, for a complete lack of effort? Hell no!
besides, my advice to her that she she risks complacency comes on the heels of her going as far as opening a provision store and setling down in the school. I never said she was going to become complacent, all i said was she risked complacency. obviously the nuances of the English language are lost on you.

Lafem:

your so-called paltry salary

If you had read her post as effectively as you admonish me to have done, you'd see that SHE used the word 'paltry' herself.

Lafem:

Again, I repeat, THERE ARE WAY TOO FEW JUMBO PAYING JOBS TO GO AROUND. Atleast she's starting from somewhere. Or would you rather they starve or go about begging for transport fare to interviews for jobs that may never be forth-coming, or better-yet, can YOU guarantee every naija graduate a job with a jumbo pay?

Perfect. See the word i put in bold font? May, not will. Because then again, you just might get lucky. As i was. as so many people i know were. I put in my best during my service year, i taught many classes, even used my own computer (powered with my own generator, with my own fuel!) to teach my students. through it all, i made my HR skills work for me, secured approval to travel for interviews and tests during my service year. I dont know about you, but I have served, and i know how easy it is to get a fellow corper to cover for you when you travel for job tests etc. And if you're a dedicated worker, you'll find it easy to obtain permission to travel. Hell, you can even reschedule your periods with other teachers. So stop this negative attitude of yours. I'm telling all Corps Members to hustle, it's hard but you just might be the lucky one!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Lafem(m): 8:56am On Apr 02, 2007
texazzpete:

@Lafem
You finished raving yet? This lady has posted this piece not only with the intention of sharing her experiences with others, but also as a way of passing on advice to others. While it is true that most people don't get jobs during or immediately after service, i know many people who've gotten jobs during NYSC and just immediately after service. of those who got immediately after service (including me!) all applied while serving. So even if the situation is desperate, and the number of those who get these jobs are few compared to those who don't get it, should that be an excuse for not even trying, for a complete lack of effort? Hell no!
besides, my advice to her that she she risks complacency comes on the heels of her going as far as opening a provision store and setling down in the school. I never said she was going to become complacent, all i said was she risked complacency. obviously the nuances of the English language are lost on you.
If you had read her post as effectively as you admonish me to have done, you'd see that SHE used the word 'paltry' herself.

Perfect. See the word i put in bold font? May, not will. Because then again, you just might get lucky. As i was. as so many people i know were. I put in my best during my service year, i taught many classes, even used my own computer (powered with my own generator, with my own fuel!) to teach my students. through it all, i made my HR skills work for me, secured approval to travel for interviews and tests during my service year. I don't know about you, but I have served, and i know how easy it is to get a fellow corper to cover for you when you travel for job tests etc. And if you're a dedicated worker, you'll find it easy to obtain permission to travel. Hell, you can even reschedule your periods with other teachers. So stop this negative attitude of yours. I'm telling all Corps Members to hustle, it's hard but you just might be the lucky one!

Broman, again I humbly submit that you please step out of your bubble, because your experience in no way represents the generally extant trend that holds in the naija employment market; you're either being unrealistic or simply disingenuous. Your rebuttal exposed a suggestive glimpse into your background, which may explain your presumptuousness. You brag(?) about putting your 'HR skills' to work for you, using your own personal computer and generator [which you had to fuel with your own money -- apparently you're from a comfortable background to be able to afford all that as a mere corper in naija, bro.], and even travel out-of-state for interviews -- on a lighter note, you prolly forgot to throw in the gist that you also had your own car as a corper wink cheesy. Bigboy, I hate to burst your bubble but most of your peers at the time most likely could not afford such luxuries. Yet, you deride and question their motivation and zeal simply because your privileged background gave you an edge over them. Try for a moment, if you can, to consider the fact that some folks out there with just as much zeal and motivation as you think you have may not have (had) the wherewithal and privileges you had to your advantage, perhaps then you'd begin to see clearly.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 12:33pm On Apr 02, 2007
@Lafem
You presume too much when it comes to me. i had an old p3 system i had been using for years, i was given a small (barbing saloon type) generator by a close friend. Either way, i trucked these over to where i was serving, simply because i was into IT before my service, and i didnt want to let my brain stagnate for 1 year. I didnt say those things to brag, all i wanted to point out was that you can be dedicated to your work as a corper and still have time to hustle for jobs. It's not about having money; with no light or gsm in the village i served in, all my contacts kinda dried up!
it wasn't every out-of-state test/interview that broke the bank in terms of transport. from Abia state (where i served) I wrote a test in Owerri and one in port harcourt. the furthest i ever went for a test was Ibadan. i did my final interview in warri. Some of these guys (NNPC, Shell, Mobil) even refund your transport fare!
I did my first job test the day after i passed out of the 3 week NYSC orientation camp! i started early, you see. . .that was at Chevron and yes, i did get a refund. As you can see, i did Chevron and Mobil tests and didnt get through to the next stage but i didnt give up until i made it.

Stop assuming. There were many broke ass corpers who somehow managed to travel long distances to find work, and they persisted because they knew that while it's difficult, it isn't impossible!
This is what i'm trying to highlight here. it isn't just about sitting down, it's about moving and pushing hard for this.

There's no need for us to bicker over this. read the first post again. She says
"While my friends were busy writing bank tests and other jobs' tests,i was busy getting more dedicated to the school where i was carrying out my primary assignment.Hoping and praying to God to be retained immediately after service."

So, when you ask me what if those guys looking foro jobs don't get the jobs, why not ask what if her school didn't retain her? If she's using this medium to advise others in the same position, what if they don't get retained?

PS: I'm not bragging about any 'HR skills'. But what else can i use to describe free computer classes for the principal, buttering up the VP, pallying with the other teachers and taking extra lessons gratis just to get permission to travel for tests? If you have a better term than that to describe the above, please tell grin
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by uzomaeze(m): 10:24pm On Apr 02, 2007
over sabi dey worry una sad
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Lafem(m): 1:10am On Apr 03, 2007
@uzomaeze: Abeg comot for road since you have nothing meaningful to contribute.

@texazzpete: O.k, I concede that you're apparently a sharp and industrious guy who's hungry for success, and I ain't knocking that. The thread-starter clearly expressed that she had no means of hustling the way you were privileged to, hence why she opted for the easier, more pragmatic [and if I might add, WISER] course. Some folks simply can't afford to gamble on 'mother luck' crowning their efforts with that dream-job despite expending so much time, money and effort job-hunting, especially in a harsh labour market as what holds in naija. For someone from a humble background and without the wherewithal to cover the expenses involved in job-hunting, what would you suggest they do? Go borrowing? What if the job doesn't come in say a year or more? Abi you wan tell me say we don't have motivated and zealous graduates who have been jobless for up to a year or two, due to no fault of theirs? Sha, I think we've both made our points. So long as the babe manage find legit way take dey keep body and soul together, I say she do well. wink
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 9:20am On Apr 03, 2007
@lafem
Ure right! it paid off for her, and that's the important thing!
The labour market isn't as terrible as u might think sha. i remember when i started working, my close pal hadnt gotten a job. i told her to pay for one night's browsing and in a 'night of madness' (as i termed it) she should apply to the career pages of ALL 25 banks in the country (got that off Nairaland). She took my advice, did the 'night of madness' thingy and she got called for 3 tests within 2 weeks! she finally got a job in Diamond bank 3 weeks later. she turned it down sha, cos by then she had already gotten a job from a test she took 5 months into her service year.
I always tell people. Apply to every single goddamned career page of every bank, manufacturing industry, celtel, glo, mtn, proctor and gamble etc in at most 2 nights of madness, you'll prolly get invited for at least one test. .

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Question For Perfectionists - Does Perfection Impede Improvement? / Salary For Entry Level In Ferma? / Exxonmobil 2016 Internship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.