Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

You Can Start With A Low Paying Job - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / You Can Start With A Low Paying Job (4970 Views)

HELP!!! Temporary Well Paying Job VS Permanent Low Paying One / Before You Quit Your Low Paying Job Check This List / I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by junegirl(f): 1:14pm On Apr 03, 2007
@Lafem and texazzpete

Wow, it was fun reading you guys' paunches and rebuttalls, You guys were almost beginning to take it like WAEC, but I commend your ability to argue without quarrelling. I think the issue is a function of your mindset. Both of you were absolutely right.
If you have the abilty to have faith in the face of seemingly different reality, then you may choose to believe that there are jobs out there and you can go for them aggressively, the texazzpete way. If you do not have this belief, then work with what you believe, which may be to start looking for an uncle somewhere or work towards getting retained where you served. The bottomline is do whatever gives you peace of mind, and get results.
I knew from day one that I wasn't going to stay where I served even though the experience I gained there contributed to my job after service. At the same time I wasn't shuttling between Enugu and Lagos for job tests etc.  Oh yeah, I read Guardian diligently and all that, but the job interviews seemed to be the exclusive preserve of first class and 2.1 graduates. All the same I submitted my cv in different places while serving and a month after service, voila!

I want to especially hail lovelyn for her uprightness in rejecting the Abuja job. It's good to know there are still ladies who wouldn't sell their souls for money( and justify the madness.) However, it doesn't mean you shouldn't seek the financial security a well paying job would give you as well as your own personal fulfillment. But never ever compromise your standards 'cos it's never worth it in the long run. Cheers!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 5:19pm On Apr 03, 2007
@junegirl
i'm surprised as yourself that we didnt come to blows on this one, but i'm glad all the same!
I wasn't THAT aggressive as i might have sounded o! i prolly did like one test every 2 months. all i ever did was Diamond bank, chevron, mobil, shell, procter and gamble. that's all. really!

i wish the poster the best of luck! by God's grace she'll get that big job ASAP!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Nobody: 9:43pm On Apr 03, 2007
@Lafem and texazzpete

Honestly guys,at a point i thought u guys might want to really have a physical bout on an account of a topic which i thought shouldn't have raised as much dusts as u guys are doing.But at the same time am glad to know that at the long run u guys were able to take a peek into one another's view of life in regards to job seeking.

To texazzpete :

Please don't think i don't appreciate all that u've written about my situation.Warning me about the dangers of complacency and all, But with all due respect, i must let u in the know that, you are the type that would make a person to really want to do just about anything so as to be amongst the list of "the employed".I doubt if u read the sequel to my first post where i actually went for an interview only to find out that it was just like a painted sepulchre. I really do not think that i owe this site or forum any insight into my background,but i think i should do a lil' of that,just for the records and to clear the air for you:I have always believed in making things work for me.I am from an okay family with a whole lot of siblings,infact at some point in my life i had to stop taking tuition fees from my folks and elder siblings just for my junior siblings to have a comfortable life at school.

While at school,i worked for Proter and Gamble as a sales person,u know,going to secondary schools,giving lectures on some of their products,going to the markets,streets and what have you to advertise their products, At a point i was even doing something illegal;writing jamb exams and WAEC/GCE for people.As a result, i was paying my tuition fees myself. While at school also,i was an intern at my school's computer lab.while i worked and helped out at the lab during my free periods,in return, i was allowed to attend so many lectures and practicals some foreigners come to give in my school on computer.I was not paid but i enjoyed every bit of the knowledge i got.Infact i was not really taught much,but everything about the computer that i know today,i learnt on my own.SO don't think i have never worked or that i have never had any job experience,whatsoever.Or that i am not trying in the lil' ways i can to secure something reasonable for myself.

About my friends that were busy writing apptitude tests while i was doing my thing at my place of primary assignment? three out of them are at home now waiting to be called for interviews ,one is actually asking for some loan from ,the other two, are now teaching in schools near their homes just to keep them busy,while i have received three months salary!, i am not saying that where i am is the best place,and i doubt if i gave the impression that it is better to stay put at low paying jobs.In case u didn't take note,my subject read:"You CAN Start Wth LOW PAYING JOBS".So please, it's always good to be sure of things before making insinuations.

One more thing,before u jump into another conclusion,i read English language,i have always loved to impact knowledge,so, i have always loved the international organisations, and academics.If where i am now is going to be a stepping stone for me,if i am finally going to go into academics,i don't think anyone should have a problem abt that.The state where i am just opened their state university,and i have sent in my application,an application has also been sent to my school,where i graduated.Bank jobs and oil companies are not meant for everyone.If my calling lies somewhere else,why should i waste time venturing into other things?
If things are going well for you,you don't always have to rub it in in other to make another person feel like shit.

To Lafem:

I must thank you so very much for standing by me.When i read all your posts concerning this issue,it was like me being defended by my elder brother,who is not close by.You and a whole lot of others have given me a part on the back.With such encouragement,it could really spur one into trying to work harder and work towards reaching greater heights.I have really being touched and blessed by your kind words and inspirations.Thank you.

One doesn't have to come from a humble background to become humble.I could still be getting monthly allowances from my folks if i so desired,but i want to make out life for myself,by staying alone,i know what it means to fend for oneself,although i have always known that right from my school days.I have had series of arguments with my folks while at school,becos i stopped taking tuition and welfare packages from them at a time when my dad had some financial setback.Even when he bounced back,i maintained the status quo. It's not always the best to be spoon fed by ones folks all the time. I am a young lady who truly sees life from a very different angle,and i don't think anyone has the right to judge me on that.

Thank you once again and be blessed.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 8:50am On Apr 04, 2007
@lovelyn690
i must admits your post saddens me immeasurably. I've scoured my post from beginning to end, and i can't seem to find anything that'd actually encourage you or anyone to do anything illegal and/or immoral just to get a job. In fact, i recall commending you for turning down that job in abuja.
Your initial post was made to share your experience with other graduates out there, and i've only tried to point out that graduates out there could equally combine job hunting with serving diligently. It's called keeping your options open, and i'm all for that. Despite the tough condition of the labour market out there, i know many people who managed to secure jobs during NYSC. While your friends might not have been so lucky, i know many people who were. So i'd always advise covering all bases.
You read English Language, and that's a non-technical course. my advise was targeted mainly towards technical courses (engineering, etc) and other non-technical courses which aren't in the academics line. Would you really recommend your own advice for an Engineering graduate? or a computer science graduate? It would have been a whole lot more informative if you'd mentioned you read English language long ago.
I've gone over my initial post and i haven't seen anywhere i tried to rub it in that i was gainfully employed and you're not. YOU used the word 'paltry' to describe your own salary, and i even put it in inverted commas when i used it myself. And then you thank Lafem for 'defending' you, insinuating that i was attacking you. Why?
I've spoken about complacency so many times, because i've seen first hand how it happens. My mum has a Bsc in Biochemistry and a postgraduate degree from Canada. when she got back to Nigeria she decided to briefly take a teaching job before later looking for a leturing job in the University. she ended up teaching biology for over 18 years before she finally moved to the Ministry of education. So i know what 'briefly settling down' can do. all i've done is to try and warn you of the risks. is that reason enough for me to be demonized?
lovelyn690:

.In case u didn't take note,my subject read:"You CAN Start Wth LOW PAYING JOBS".So please, it's always good to be sure of things before making insinuations.

I never reply to subjects, only to the contents therein, which is what any normal person should do. all i picked on was the attitude towards job seeking during NYSC, which i felt i could improve for the sake of anyone reading this thread for inspiration.

lovelyn690:

I am a young lady who truly sees life from a very different angle,and i don't think anyone has the right to judge me on that.

Isn't that what you're doing to me? i'm trying to respond to your views from a different angle, mine!, and you aren't taking kindly to it.

lovelyn690:

you don't always have to rub it in in other to make another person feel like shit.

Do i even need to respond to this? In hindsight, i think this below. . .
lovelyn690:

To texazzpete :

Please don't think i don't appreciate all that u've written about my situation.
. . is just a sop thrown at me to make me feel happy. Because not only do you not appreciate my comments, you're clearly convinced i came all out to rub it in and make you 'feel like shit'. Is that how you feel? I doubt it.

This is my 543rd post on Nairaland, and no other post has tried to make me feel so mean and terrible as this one. To carelessly ignore all the positives in my comments (even my genuine offer of help) and focus on all the percieved negatives. . .

Next time you want only congratulatory replies with no whiff of constructive criticism, please indicate in your post.

By the way, the offer of assistance in any way possible still stands. I don't know you, but your story did touch me. adding @yahoo.co.uk to my username gives you the email addy. . .
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 04, 2007
If i should say that i didn't pick a thing or two from your previous posts before the last,i should indeed be termed a liar. I thought it pointless hammering on the importance of spreading one's tentacles and spreading ones wings in job seeking,whose points you have successfully tackled.All i did in my last post was to let u in on somethings about me,because the feeling i got from reading your replies to my post was that of someone who is only lethergic in job hunting.Or who is just comfortable where she is.

Mentioning some of my job experiences was justa way in letting you know that i have always been an industrious person.And i tried giving u some reasons why i had to stay behind after service.I can't remember condemning job seeking during or after NYSC. I only tried to encourage jobless graduates and to let them know that while waitin for that big mouth- watering jobs which everyone prays for,one could still engage in something else no matter how low paying it is.Whether one read technical courses or arts courses,the message applies to all.Before i gave my story,i had to study critically the qualifcations of most graduates on nairaland seeking for jobs,i realised it ranged from technical,arts and otherwise disciplines read by these graduates.

Reading in between the lines is very important whilst reading an article or any other thing for that matter.I didn't ask evryone to go into classroom teaching.The point i tried to raise was and is still is that people should look around them and they'll definately see jobs that could possibly keep them busy,instead of whiling away at home.There are so many success stories of graduates who got jobs immediately after serving and even whilst serving,no doubt.But if u should put it on a scale,u'd find out that the scale would tilt tremendiously towards the unsuccessful stories of those who have not been able to get jobs after serving.

I would like to use this avenue to apologise to you if u were slighted by my last post,it wasn't intended to,i guess it's probably a misreading on,well,both our parts.And,hey! i didn't paint the picture of you being "demonised",or did i?

It's not like i don't give room for criticisims,it's just that the way u went about didn't really go down well with me;u know,appraising urself and all.Could have used the word 'boastful' but i don't know if it's appropriate.

Anyways,i'll definately send u a mail, who knows, u just might be my lucky star smiley,
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by puree: 3:30pm On Apr 04, 2007
grin wink uuuhhhh, all that starts well ends well, am really touched by the maturity on this post , well done guys, your style of argument is very impressive. well done. smiley.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 3:34pm On Apr 04, 2007
Both myself and Lafem reiterated our points several times in the course of our discussion. Mine was the only one that caused you discomfort simply because we had differing opinions. Besides, what else can you do in an argument? I actually intended to post just ONCE and get out, i couldn't resist replying Lafem.

Anyway, i'd be wrong to boast. like i always say, 'there's always something bigger'. even Obasanjo can't cough where Bush stands.

anyway, no ill feelings. Dunno about being a lucky star, but i always try to be of help. . .sadly i'm a lot more controversial than helpful most times (ask my friends) but everyone needs a friend. . .

Where's Lafem? time for a Group Hug!!!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 3:37pm On Apr 04, 2007
@puree
No probs! I must commend you too, you used more smilies than anyone else ur short post. . .
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by texazzpete(m): 6:24am On Apr 05, 2007
Since when did WAEC, GCE and NECO replace TOEFL as a benchmark of your english speaking abilities?
Keep this scam stuff out of here, nyugga!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Reggieo: 8:22pm On Apr 06, 2007
texazzpete:

Since when did WAEC, GCE and NECO replace TOEFL as a benchmark of your english speaking abilities?
Keep this scam stuff out of here, nyugga!

It is actually true that WAEC, GCE and NECO are accepted by some schools in Sweden as English language qualifications. Remember that English is a secondary language in Sweden just like in Nigeria.

And just before you start thinking I am a scam too, I am currently studying in Denmark (neighbouring country to Sweden)for an MSc degree and have done a lot of searches on schools for friends and family who are interested in studying abroad.

The next thing I wish to point out is that it is perfectly good business idea for a guy to offer his services to assist people gain admission abroad. The important thing is if the provider is genuine and can deliver what he promises. He does not have to be a big 'company' to be able to do the job.

It would be scam if the guy promises to 'get' you admission. But he can help you improve your chances of being admitted by guiding you through the application process and documentation.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Maleeq(m): 3:21pm On Apr 08, 2007
Check this: When I first got out of school, I got 2 job offers at about the same time. One was with an IT consultancy Firm (Software) and the other came shortly after from Zenith Bank.
Sure you can imagine the temptation to drift from my field and venture into the banking sector cos of the cash.
I was determined and stayed with the IT Firm. Now I earn just about thesame with my friends that are with Zenith but I have a lot of IT certifications that has been sky rocketting my value in the labour market.
So, it pays to start a job where you find satisfaction, after all you know you'll be spending almost 70% of your time at work. So, I'll pick job satisfaction firstly!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Issyman(m): 7:01pm On Apr 08, 2007
well, u've taken a very gud decision. the beauty of it is dat u get ursef busy while others pple brain remain idle. i also finished my service the same tym with u. presently i am workin with a constructiopn firm in abuja but the pay is very low. at the first instance i dont want to take up the job but after some many counselling from big bros around , i just have to take up the challenge. atleast with the low pay i acn cater for my self in terms of going out for interviews, attending seminars and other lots of things to build my carrer and add to my cv. My friend, if u're reading this msg, kindly take up a small job rather than becoming a nuisance in ur area all in the name of unemployment. add to ur cv and create more chances for urself. I work as an assistant accountant for now.Good Luck to us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Gheorghe(m): 12:48pm On Apr 09, 2007
even if the low paying jobs are not comin, one can start something to mak little money before any job offer comes.

During my service year far away in sokoto, i had about 2 or 3 P.Ps and used the little dough i made to run a diploma course in computer hardware maintenance basically for two main reasons : 1. to add to my C.V. and 2. to enable me make ends meet on my own pending when the job offer comes and i did just that for like 3/4 months after service before i got my 1st job. the take home was quite low but i just had to take it becos it was technically inclined and didn't stop me from my computer deals. now i hav a better paying job.

one thing most people don't take into account is that one can actually make more contacts into the bigger jobs not from sitting at home and waitin for the big one but by starting from those places where no one wants to be/work cos the pay is too small.

NO ONE SHOULD BE SCARED OF WHAT PEOPLE WILL SAY FOR NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO THEY WILL/MUST STILL SAY SOMETHING : TAKE A BOLD STEP AND BE FOCUSED
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by kolahinmi(m): 8:05pm On Apr 09, 2007
hi guys,
I feel I shld contribute the subject at hand, I feel one can take a low paying jobs for start considering all other things. I work for a small firm but the value and experience I have gained in there cant be gained in a similar bigger firm.Most people would like to work in big coys or multinationals but most of this coys want experienced professionals which that cant train themselves.I have seen graduates turned into errand guys in this so called big firms.I just want to place a piece of advice to you all "SEEK YE FIRST THE EXPERIENCE AND ALL OTHER THINGS SHALL BE ADDED UNTO YOU"
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by ne4real(f): 4:39pm On May 16, 2007
My story is similar to yours too. My bishop, David Abiyoye of winners chapel, Abuja, always hammered on "never despise your days of little beginnings", and this has really worked for me. I will term myself as one of those who have suffered while looking for a better paid job.

Three years ago,i started after my service as a worker who earned nothing, but just needed an office to go out to every morning, to another job, where i was a casual staff and earned just 10k, to another of 21k then my first permanent job of 35k to another of 53k to my present job, where i earn hundreds of thousands of naira, and live large in Abuja.

When people see me today, they think i was born with a silver spoon, not knowing that I've suffered to get to where i am to today. I'm not saying everyone's destiny should be like mine, but we should never despise our humble beginnings. Some of my friends who tried to discourage me from doing the non-salary job haven't even gotten a single job to do today.

It's not the salary that takes u places, but ur work experience and dedication to the job. Most of these jobs I've gotten are all through people i never knew from Adam, but because they saw how dedicated i was in each of the places I've worked, and god's divine favour.

Nairalanders, let's all learn from this and i bet you in no time, we'll all get to our topmost heights.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by ne4real(f): 5:05pm On May 16, 2007
hi strenght, 10x 4 the idea. but how does one start making the wealth 4rm what u've said. r u sure it's geniune? cos there r a lot of faudsters around.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by ne4real(f): 5:09pm On May 16, 2007
hi strenght, 10x 4 the idea. but how does one start making the wealth 4rm what u've said. r u sure it's geniune? cos there r a lot of faudsters around.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by dremoney(m): 1:49pm On May 17, 2007
@texazz n lafem,
una try.
both right in a way.glad u reconciled ay d end sha.

@topic,
good decision though.please dont get stranded in dat school,
try to push farther than where u r n in time 2.
it pays to be wise but trying to compromise ur future coz of today might really cost u more than u can eva imagine.

my point,
while its ok a decision to take a low paying job to avoid bn idle,i strongly advise not to consider urself employed till u r able to get a job dat meets up wit at least all ur basic needs.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by jagalo(m): 10:16pm On May 17, 2007
I love the way both of you tried to analyse the thread. However, i must commend @ texazzpete for his criticism and his high analytical mind. You are a real Engineer. I must also commend @Lafem for his supportive suggestions on the above thread. But my own suggestion is this, Guys gatto keep his head high no matter what. Everybody have dreams he hopes to come true one day. And the way you go about realising your dream is what matters not what others think is the best way for you, 'cos his own way might not work for you.
As for me, I served in kwara State and i got a job as a sysytem Administrtor in one supposedly leasing company in VI, the second week i finished my NYSC, that was on february. Filled with joy that knows no bound that now am on the right path of having my dreamed career, but my joy was shortlived 'cos when i mwt the MD of the company, i was told that the job is marketing inclined; that means that i have to go out and look for prospect client that i will be networknig their systems. I was devastated when the MD was giving me the nature of the job. However, i made a quick decision and declined the job 'cos i believe it will be a set back.
But guess what my fellow landers, the following month, i got a better job in one of the three GSM operators grin .
What i want to say in essence is this; there are some jobs that will be a steping stone to your dream jobs and there are some the will be a crushing stone.
It is left for the individual to know which one is which.
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by BIGBOYLARY(m): 10:19pm On May 17, 2007
You have made a big move goodluck and more success is on the way for those who starts,the problems most people encounter is the ability to starts goodluck, cool
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by BIGBOYLARY(m): 10:31pm On May 17, 2007
@ ALL,
Good day all in the house i am serching for the best low risk investments in naija,were you put your money and its safe and secured please i need more informations regarding this, cool cool
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by dremoney(m): 9:41am On May 18, 2007
jagalo:

I love the way both of you tried to analyse the thread. However, i must commend @ texazzpete for his criticism and his high analytical mind. You are a real Engineer. I must also commend @Lafem for his supportive suggestions on the above thread. But my own suggestion is this, Guys gatto keep his head high no matter what. Everybody have dreams he hopes to come true one day. And the way you go about realising your dream is what matters not what others think is the best way for you, 'because his own way might not work for you.
As for me, I served in kwara State and i got a job as a sysytem Administrtor in one supposedly leasing company in VI, the second week i finished my NYSC, that was on february. Filled with joy that knows no bound that now am on the right path of having my dreamed career, but my joy was shortlived 'because when i mwt the MD of the company, i was told that the job is marketing inclined; that means that i have to go out and look for prospect client that i will be networknig their systems. I was devastated when the MD was giving me the nature of the job. However, i made a quick decision and declined the job 'because i believe it will be a set back.
But guess what my fellow landers, the following month, i got a better job in one of the three GSM operators grin .
What i want to say in essence is this; there are some jobs that will be a steping stone to your dream jobs and there are some the will be a crushing stone.
It is left for the individual to know which one is which.

u r my kindda guy.
wish u luck man!!!!
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Snowwy: 5:57pm On May 20, 2007
Hello There,
I started with a low paying job in one of the old generation banks in nigeria.
It wasnt easy as most of my colleagues were earning far higher than i was and it seemed nothing was happening.
I kept praying to God and writing tests.
I wrote test for 2 high profile oil companies and guess what?!
I was called for both but at different times.
I made use of both opportunities and settled with the best of the two.
My expereince in the bank is fuelling my experience in one of these oil companies.
It has been really sweet and God has been good to ME!
Trust God folks and he will surprise you. smiley
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by dremoney(m): 11:29am On May 21, 2007
Snowwy:

Hello There,
I started with a low paying job in one of the old generation banks in nigeria.
It wasnt easy as most of my colleagues were earning far higher than i was and it seemed nothing was happening.
I kept praying to God and writing tests.
I wrote test for 2 high profile oil companies and guess what?!
I was called for both but at different times.
I made use of both opportunities and settled with the best of the two.
My expereince in the bank is fuelling my experience in one of these oil companies.
It has been really sweet and God has been good to ME!
Trust God folks and he will surprise you. smiley

interesting story!!!!!!.
my experience is very similar to urs bro but still waiting on to God to step higher.
I CLAIM MY PROMOTION ALREADY IN JESUS NAME SHAA (AMEN)
Re: You Can Start With A Low Paying Job by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 02, 2009
Hello people,
I have not visited this site in a very long while, why? Because, my present job is very tasking and needs my all and all.

Remember when I wrote about how it pays to start with a low paying job? Well, it did pay off at last for me. I was still working as an English teacher in Katsina where I did my NYSC, when in last December '08, I got an offer to work in an organization. I was still in training for this job when another offer came. I was invited to Lagos for an interview and after which I was given the Job. I opted for the second job because it has more to offer. Right now, I am the manager of out new branch in Abuja, and i over see the running of this branch. I am so very grateful to God, and thankful to all of you who supported my stance in staying back in Katsina rather than stay at home. Am also thankful to all the people who constructively criticized me. It really helped.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Question For Perfectionists - Does Perfection Impede Improvement? / Salary For Entry Level In Ferma? / All Yourba Staff Was Fired In My Firm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.