Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,531 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) (6814 Views)

Exhaust Repair Work Flex Pipe Replacement / Rebuilding A 2010 Rav4 V6 (2gr-fe) Engine / Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 11:12am On May 28, 2018
If you own an early model 2GR-FE engine, you've probably heard of the two rubber hoses that connect the oil cooler pipes on that engine. These particular rubber hoses were replaced in later 2GR-FEs to metallic ones.

Issue is that these rubber hoses fail after a while, and they will spill the oil in the engine. I know quite a few folks who didn't notice on time and ended up knocking their engines.

A few people double the hoses or change it to thicker rubber pipes. From my experience, it's just a matter of time, the pipes still fail.

The permanent solution: Bite the bullet, change those pipes to metal once and for all. It's what Toyota dealerships in the US resorted to. It's even done free of charge over there. Sadly, in Nigeria, not so free.

"If you have a 2GR-FE V6 with the rubber oil cooler hoses, watch them like a hawk because they will fail, and probably not at a convenient time".

Besides, that engine costs over 300k to acquire. A cheaper option is to replace those pipes before they give up.

Implicated vehicles include:
2008 Toyota Highlander, Venza V6, Camry V6, Avalon, Sienna, Solara V6 etc.

This thread will illustrate the process being done on a 2008 Toyota Highlander Sports. I should have changed it long ago, but never just got around to doing it. Finally, it is time!!!

1 Like

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 11:14am On May 28, 2018
A picture of the pipe in question.

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 12:30pm On May 28, 2018
2008 Toyota Highlander.

The rubber hose.

I had to cut out one of the pipes for better access. Those studs are a pain to get to.

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 12:33pm On May 28, 2018
Finally out!!!

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 12:37pm On May 28, 2018
New and old. Ordered for both the metallic pipe and the gaskets.

2 Likes

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 28, 2018
Nice one. Thanks for the heads up. grin
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Ladipodeal: 1:14pm On May 28, 2018
Was lucky to notice the oil leakage on my 2008 Toyota Sienna,the hose failed on my way home. The rate the oil was gushing out of the failed hose, I doubt it the engine would have lasted the next 3 minutes.

I actually replaced with another rubber hose, where can I purchase the metal hose here in Lagos?

2 Likes

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 1:18pm On May 28, 2018
Ladipodeal:
Was lucky to notice the oil leakage on my 2008 Toyota Sienna,the hose failed on my way home. The rate the oil was gushing out of the failed hose, I doubt it the engine would have lasted the next 3 minutes.

I actually replaced with another rubber hose, where can I purchase the metal hose here in Lagos?

Tried searching for the metal hose in Ladipo, I couldn't get. Had to order on Amazon. One of the reasons it took me so long to fix the vehicle.

That vehicle has been in Nigeria since 2014. In that time, it failed a total of six times. Luckily, it never failed while driving, it was always parked.

I didn't want to tempt fate any further grin grin grin.

3 Likes

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Ladipodeal: 1:30pm On May 28, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Tried searching for the metal hose in Ladipo, I couldn't get. Had to order on Amazon.

What was the total cost to Nigeria? Replacing with the metal hose to me is a must for all 2GR Fe engine with rubber hose.
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 1:39pm On May 28, 2018
Ladipodeal:

What was the total cost to Nigeria? Replacing with the metal hose to me is a must for all 2GR Fe engine with rubber hose.

$88.69 to buy and the tax. Shipping can range between 4k to 10k. It depends on exchange rate you get and your shipper.

1 Like

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by chukel(m): 4:27pm On May 28, 2018
oluwaseunla:

$88.69 to buy and the tax. Shipping can range between 4k to 10k. It depends on exchange rate you get and your shipper.
ur pic doesn't illustrate clearly the position of that rubber hose. Can u describe the position.
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 4:36pm On May 28, 2018
chukel:
ur pic doesn't illustrate clearly the position of that rubber hose. Can u describe the position.

Front right, lower side of engine.

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 5:13pm On May 28, 2018
Phew! It's in. Oil and filter change done. Vehicle started, no oil leaks. We are good to go.

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 5:19pm On May 28, 2018
The last picture shows the relation of the pipe to the engine oil sump (lower left side of picture), and the oil filter area (upper left side of picture).
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Readonee35L(m): 5:49pm On May 28, 2018
2GR'FE the lazy boy.
But I've grown to love it in the Highlander.
Better response.
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 6:10pm On May 28, 2018
Readonee35L:
2GR'FE the lazy boy.
But I've grown to love it in the Highlander.
Better response.

Love it in the Rx too. grin grin grin
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Readonee35L(m): 6:28pm On May 28, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Love it in the Rx too. grin grin grin
The Response of that engine depends on Ecu Mapping and toyotas electronic throttle lag.
Driving the 2009/2010 venza v6 for a long time wasn't impressive because of throttle lag, You floor it while it hesitates and all of a sudden it delivers sudden response. But the 2012 Highlander V6 with 2gr keeps me wanting to be on the road because it has better response.
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by mayor2013: 6:56pm On May 28, 2018
Readonee35L:

The Response of that engine depends on Ecu Mapping and toyotas electronic throttle lag.
Driving the 2009/2010 venza v6 for a long time wasn't impressive because of throttle lag, You floor it while it hesitates and all of a sudden it delivers sudden response. But the 2012 Highlander V6 with 2gr keeps me wanting to be on the road because it has better response.

I also discovered the throttle lag on Lexus ES330 2005. You floor the throttle to the last and no response embarassed
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Readonee35L(m): 7:22pm On May 28, 2018
mayor2013:

I also discovered the throttle lag on Lexus ES330 2005. You floor the throttle to the last and no response embarassed
And that thing they pepper me for body chai.
I like direct throttle make the engine they answer me asap.

Toyota electronic throttle is shít in some models.

I've not driven that gen of Es so i dunno.
But some toyota cars I've driven with throttle lag
010 Camry Se . 2ar 2.5L
010 venza v6
011 highlander v6 lags sometimes.

Mostly does with the 6sp auto and some the 5sp.

But the lexus And some other 2gr toyotas are very responsive.
More of ecu mapping.
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:17pm On May 28, 2018
Readonee35L:

010 Camry Se . 2ar 2.5L
010 venza v6

More of ecu mapping.

it's an ecu thing esp with the electronic throttle system.

I learnt this can be altered by accessing the ecu config file either via CMD or a third party GUI and altering the values accordingly or installing MOD chips but the tradeoff is either a messed up idle or irregular mpgs (in most cases)

wonder y Toyota has that annoying lag in most of their systems I have not experienced it in the Lexus tho I drove an es350 last year and it was so responsive I tot I was in a supercar.

Drive by wire issues
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Readonee35L(m): 8:41pm On May 28, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

I learnt this can be altered by accessing the ecu config file either via CMD or a third party GUI and altering the values accordingly or installing MOD chips but the tradeoff is either a messed up idle or irregular mpgs (in most cases)

wonder y Toyota has that annoying lag in most of their systems I have not experienced it in the Lexus tho I drove an es350 last year and it was so responsive I tot I was in a supercar.

Drive by wire issues
Toyota's 6peed Transmission is also lazy making it worse
Always trying to select higher gears. Better mpg. But slow response. Very short ratio like a diesel
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Kashif(m): 8:58pm On May 28, 2018
oluwaseunla:
A picture of the pipe in question.

I thought this pipe is for vvt?
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Kashif(m): 9:03pm On May 28, 2018
Readonee35L:

Toyota's 6peed Transmission is also lazy making it worse
Always trying to select higher gears. Better mpg. But slow response. Very short ratio like a diesel

I dont think the 6 speeds are lazy. They shift according to your throttle input. Its 1:1 happens in 4th gear.
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 2:21am On May 29, 2018
Kashif:

I thought this pipe is for vvt?

Second pic shows a rubber and full metal vvt pipes. First pic shows location of vvt pipe (upper left of picture, from top cylinder to block), and oil cooler pipe (lower right of picture).

2 Likes

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Kashif(m): 7:02am On May 29, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Second pic shows a rubber and full metal vvt pipes. First pic shows location of vvt pipe (upper left of picture, from top cylinder to block), and oil cooler pipe (lower right of picture).

Thanks for the clarification. I will assume the vvt pipe has higher risk, due to higher pressure. It's the one that kills the engine most when it does happen.
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by oluwaseunla(m): 7:15am On May 29, 2018
Kashif:

Thanks for the clarification. I will assume the vvt pipe has higher risk, due to higher pressure. It's the one that kills the engine most when it does happen.

Personal opinion: I think it has to do with models. It seems the Highlander's, RX's, and Sienna's have more of an oil cooler pipe failure, while the Rav's and Camry's seem to have the vvt pipe failures. Personal opinion from experience. However, when the vvt pipes get compromised, they bleed quite badly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by cyborg123(m): 10:19am On May 29, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

Drive by wire issues
Readonee35L:

010 Camry Se . 2ar 2.5L
010 venza v6

More of ecu mapping.
mayor2013:

Dirty MAF sensors are a major cause of throttle lag. Did you check the state of the sensor in those cars?

1 Like

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:54am On May 31, 2018
cyborg123:

Dirty MAF sensors are a major cause of throttle lag. Did you check the state of the sensor in those cars?

Not a dirty MAF, try driving the Rav4 2GR, it's a sprinter without Lag. Clearly a Mapping issue.

5 Likes

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by cyborg123(m): 1:39pm On May 31, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Not a dirty MAF, try driving the Rav4 2GR, it's a sprinter without Lag. Clearly a Mapping issue.
Ok
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by timifakay(m): 2:58pm On May 31, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Ogba to Agege stadium that year... I couldn't catch up at any point in time.
Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:10pm On May 31, 2018
timifakay:

Ogba to Agege stadium that year... I couldn't catch up at any point in time.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

.Sho mo age mi?

3 Likes

Re: 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) by Kashif(m): 6:40pm On May 31, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I agree with you 100% It races just like a bat from hell! It is even more demonic if fitted with a low stall TC.

I have driven Siennas with same engine, and came to same conclusion - mapping! The first one even sent me chasing my tail, trying to figure out what could be wrong with its performance. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Car Would You Suggest I Use For Transportation / Is This The Ugliest G-wagon G550 / How To Change Your Car’s Spark Plugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.