Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise (7121 Views)

Check Your Tokunbo Custom Duties Status B4 Traveling For Xmas / Has Anyone Ever Bought A Car From Seme/kutonu / Robbery At The Seme - Cotonou Boarder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 18, 2012
Can someone in the house please advise me on this.

I was told that if you had to go to Cotonou to buy a car, you will pay DOUBLE CUSTOM DUTIES. The first will be to BENIN REPUBLIC CUSTOM officials inside Cotonou and the second to NIGERIA CUSTOM OFFICIALS at Seme Border. I NO WAN DODGE NIGERIAN CUSTOMS. I WANT TO GET AUTHENTIC NAIJA CUSTOM PAPERS

I want to go that way soon and its like Nigerian agents in cotonou are too secretive about sharing information. The thing be say i no get too much money to give someONE to buy car from Cotonou for me. But i can pay the person to drive it down from Cotonou to my location whatever reasonable fee they charge

PLEASE I NEED CANDID ADVICE ON THE DOUBLE CUSTOM DUTIES

I am indeed most grateful for your advice

God bless you
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by femmy2010(m): 3:41am On Aug 19, 2012
chiebube: Can someone in the house please advise me on this.

I was told that if you had to go to Cotonou to buy a car, you will pay DOUBLE CUSTOM DUTIES. The first will be to BENIN REPUBLIC CUSTOM officials inside Cotonou and the second to NIGERIA CUSTOM OFFICIALS at Seme Border. I NO WAN DODGE NIGERIAN CUSTOMS. I WANT TO GET AUTHENTIC NAIJA CUSTOM PAPERS

I want to go that way soon and its like Nigerian agents in cotonou are too secretive about sharing information. The thing be say i no get too much money to give someONE to buy car from Cotonou for me. But i can pay the person to drive it down from Cotonou to my location whatever reasonable fee they charge

God bless you

If you buy a car in Benin republic you have it cleared from the Benin Customs and before a vehicle can be brought into the Country(Nigeria) via the land,sea or airport it has to be cleared from the Nigeria customs.
Nothing hidden in the whole process,you pay the apropriate duty and you free to bring your car in.
Best of luck with your buy.
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 19, 2012
femmy2010:

If you buy a car in Benin republic you have it cleared from the Benin Customs and before a vehicle can be brought into the Country(Nigeria) via the land,sea or airport it has to be cleared from the Nigeria customs.
Nothing hidden in the whole process,you pay the apropriate duty and you free to bring your car in.
Best of luck with your buy.

Thank you sir.
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by cretin: 6:31pm On Aug 20, 2012
u pay double fees..first in benin republic n second in nigeria benin border.....thats why a lot of car dealers choose to pay only benin and then 'fly' the car in through the bushes!!!.......paying the double duties makes the total cost of the car high!....n makes the whole going to cotonu to buy car pretty useless

2 Likes

Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 21, 2012
cretin: u pay double fees..first in benin republic n second in nigeria benin border.....thats why a lot of car dealers choose to pay only benin and then 'fly' the car in through the bushes!!!.......paying the double duties makes the total cost of the car high!....n makes the whole going to cotonu to buy car pretty useless
Wow!! Thanks... Changed my mind
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by Nobody: 7:12am On Aug 21, 2012
cretin: u pay double fees..first in benin republic n second in nigeria benin border.....thats why a lot of car dealers choose to pay only benin and then 'fly' the car in through the bushes!!!.......paying the double duties makes the total cost of the car high!....n makes the whole going to cotonu to buy car pretty useless
Wow!! Thanks... Changed my mind
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by fm7070: 8:46am On Aug 24, 2012
Do your homework properly.
Check the price of that same car (that came in through Lagos & with verified customs papers).
If the price difference is so close, I will advice you buy from Lagos and save yourself from cotonou stress
I can never advice you to fly car into Nigeria. You can be unlucky with customs anytime and you'll pay through your ass when caught.
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by Nobody: 2:40am On Aug 25, 2012
Thanks so much sir
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by Bollique: 10:36pm On Aug 27, 2012
Guy listen to this carefully. The difference between Cars in Nigeria and Benin starts from the importers. For cars to be on board Nig-bound vessels/ships, it most have been purchased by d owner or an importer. Cars U see in Benin are brought in (by a dealer from his country) for U to buy. The Nig-bound car most have paid all necessary dues before leaving its Country of Origin. As U buy in Benin, U pay d owner for all his expenses for making it available for U cheaper (in most cases), and to Benin, ur car new country of origin, duty/due for wanting to use it in their country/export from there (supposedly so). As at dt point, all money paid by U is far far less than what dt car goes for in Nig. When U get to a Nig Border, d duty U pay, when added up to the previous ones, is still less (with little margin in few cases) than what it goes for in Nig. The problems we have in Nig is "overchop" of gain by buyers or importers. I know I will be criticised, but all my yarns na with authority. If U wan buy car for Cotonou, start with a good mind not to cheat govt, get there see d oyinbo pay him money, pay Benin and drive to Nig border. Pay Nig duty and bring ur "used" car in. may take few days. Nothing hidden. 1love.

5 Likes

Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 28, 2012
Hmmm. Thanks my brother
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by kingjay1: 11:36pm On Apr 20, 2015
Pls what is the duty to be paid? Or does it differ by car type? Is it 10k or 30k or 100k?
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by Nobody: 12:41am On Apr 21, 2015
cretin:
u pay double fees..first in benin republic n second in nigeria benin border.....thats why a lot of car dealers choose to pay only benin and then 'fly' the car in through the bushes!!!.......paying the double duties makes the total cost of the car high!....n makes the whole going to cotonu to buy car pretty useless

Thank you for a detailed explanation.

With the flood of used cars in Nigeria, at least in Ibadan, why are people still importing cars?
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by saintjoel(m): 4:40pm On Apr 21, 2015
Can someone in the house please advise me on this.

God bless you

Kindly go through this thread,it'll help you out.

https://www.nairaland.com/1245239/cheapaccident-free-cars-4rm-cotonou
Re: Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise by saintjoel(m): 4:55pm On Apr 21, 2015
cretin:

Thank God you actually state car dealers are involved in flying cars cos of their gain.

It makes sense for an end user that is actually buying the vehicle for use in Nigeria because the monies you pay in Nigeria and Cotonou is lesser than what obtains on the streets of lagos,although it may not apply to all vehicles but at the end of your deal in cotonou,there will still be a significant difference.

Car dealers buying/shipping through Cotonou to places like auto berger,PH or abuja skip paying Nigerian customs because of their profits,they can't buy grade one cars at the rates end users buy,pay duties in Cotonou and Nigeria and still sell in Nigeria without maximising their profit.

I'll advise him or any prospective customer to actually go into Cotonou and conduct what I will call a feasibility study with a credible agent,you can make your decision after purchase.

(1) (Reply)

Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) / Are The Sins Of MDX Many? / Check Out My Modified 05 RX330 On 22inch Wheels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.