Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,732 members, 7,824,064 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came (8481 Views)

Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? / NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles / Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by slap1(m): 1:57pm On Jan 05, 2011
man smith:

ogiri is a delight especially in bitter leaf soup.but if you add it too much u are likely to pass heavy gas out from your backyard
Or in Uha soup. I prepared one last week but forgot to add ogiri. I was really annoyed after leaving the market, because that was when I remembered it.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by JUO(m): 1:59pm On Jan 05, 2011
up till date my doesn't eat maggi but her food can't be compared with the one made with maggi
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Ranoscky(m): 2:02pm On Jan 05, 2011
Double N:

Ogiri can smell!!!! undecided
grin grin grin grin grin. . . .Guy, you gat me laffin real hard, mehn! grin
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by simplymee: 2:31pm On Jan 05, 2011
the spices are nice but you have to be cautious of the quantity u are putting in the soup so as not to ignite WW III in the tummy of he or she that eats it.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by slap1(m): 2:44pm On Jan 05, 2011
^^My Hausa neighbour uses up to four cubes of maggi for about two cups of rice. O di egwu!
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by bbstore: 2:56pm On Jan 05, 2011
ajinomoto
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by alldone(m): 3:00pm On Jan 05, 2011
i think we need to remember what was in vogue before maggi, if not a lot of people wont know these things exist.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 05, 2011
alldone:

i think we need to remember what was in vogue before maggi, if not a lot of people wont know these things exist.

you are very correct, our childrens need to knows
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Phate07(m): 3:45pm On Jan 05, 2011

What else if not local spices? undecided
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by mikkyrazzy: 4:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
IRU all the way
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by SmashingM(f): 4:27pm On Jan 05, 2011
Nice thread. Really learning a lot.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by treylaw: 4:42pm On Jan 05, 2011
Broth from meat, fish e.t.c . Iru is best used for soups
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by bleufaucon: 7:37pm On Jan 05, 2011
maggi and most condiments that contain mono-sodium has silently killed many in africa by causing loads of neurological problems.

avoid it and live.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by seunbballo(m): 11:00pm On Jan 05, 2011
Before Maggi, there were:

- OGIRI

- IRU

- ONIONS

- GARLIC

- GINGER

- SALT

- EPURO

- NUTMEG

Including the liquid natural flavour that comes out of vegetables, meats, fish and all sorts!!

1 Like

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by amor4ce(m): 12:00am On Jan 06, 2011
I recently used some iru as seasoning for a pot of beans that I cooked for my family. Shyting became few and far between, and it wasn't constipation but more like the abdominal muscles that were supposed to contract and lead to expulsion went on strike or "work-to-rule".

Also, my dad once used omi iru to tackle high blood pressure which was over 220mmHg (systolic) and it was normalized within 24hrs. But the stench is something else.

1 Like

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Jenifa1: 12:11am On Jan 06, 2011
treylaw:

Broth from meat, fish e.t.c . Iru is best used for soups

yup. If i buy fresh meat and fish, I don't need to use maggi. I just make a broth with salt and use it to season my soup or whatever it is i'm cooking. maggi is mostly for convenience. and it really is convenient. besides it's hard to find iru here.

amor4ce:

I recently used some iru as seasoning for a pot of beans that I cooked for my family. Shyting became few and far between, and it wasn't constipation but more like the abdominal muscles that were supposed to contract and lead to expulsion went on strike or "work-to-rule".

Also, my dad once used omi iru to tackle high blood pressure which was over 220mmHg (systolic) and it was normalized within 24hrs. But the stench is something else.

it is the fermentation. Iru is fermented locust beans.
In the US, people use apple cidar vinegar  drink (fermented apples) to also lower blood pressure. of course not a lot of people know this because the pharmaceutical companies and doctors do no want you to know about  it.

1 Like

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Ranoscky(m): 7:58am On Jan 06, 2011
Just passin by and stopped to say hi.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by ifyalways(f): 9:13am On Jan 06, 2011
Iru,crayfish and Ogiri.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by earlalright(m): 10:54am On Jan 06, 2011
Locust Beans (in Esan - Ugbore) and the other one, i don't know the english name but in Esan it is Ogi
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by bloodred(f): 9:25am On Jan 07, 2011
there are and have always been other forms of seasoning over time as have already been listed. I do not however appreciate d tone of ppl sounding like there's anything wrong in using western spices. The problem should be with processed spices. How convenient is it to store this local unprocessed seasoning? Our mothers/grandmas didnt work, so they had time to make & use all those natural stuff. They also make coconut/Kannel oil for body, tiro for make up, & herbs to cure malaria & stuff. when i want 2 give my family a treat, i go 2 market & shop for d natural stuff & cook well, but on a daily basis, i use maggi, curry, thyme, ginger, garlic, spice supreme & whatever i can use because 2moro na work, & i gotta sleep early, dont judge me based on dat!
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Jids(m): 9:02pm On Jan 07, 2011
Ogiri and Iru
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Limaoscar: 9:27pm On Jan 07, 2011
Ebenor, Irilie and Nnchang-chang (Salt, dawa-dawa + crayfish) grin
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by isalegan2: 11:55am On Jan 08, 2011
Maggi is nothing but MSG.  The last time I used it, I thought I was going to die!  shocked cry cry cry sad sad
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by pocketndry: 4:33am On Jan 09, 2011
isale_gan2:

Maggi is nothing but MSG. The last time I used it, I thought I was going to die! shocked cry cry cry sad sad

What do you use? I only get ogiri where I am. I don't know how to get dawadawa and iru.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by isalegan2: 6:54am On Jan 09, 2011
pocketndry:

What do you use? I only get ogiri where I am. I don't know how to get dawadawa and iru.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be alarmist. I was only talking about myself. It doesn't affect everyone the same. I just can't have MSG at all anymore. There were other health issues to consider.

Some people just have to be really careful with MSG.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by akwaowoudo(m): 7:03am On Jan 09, 2011
That portrays the cooking supremacy of our traditional mothers to this acclaimed modernised long haired, nails and lips painted girls/women of ours.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by mmuoado(m): 9:03pm On Jan 11, 2011
pls,lets eat natural food.all these artificial,fast,junk foods we have engaged ourselves with is the cause of all these diseases around us,example cancer which has no cure.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by jovi: 7:34pm On Feb 04, 2011
but, can we use ogiri for jolof rice or stew??, embarassed
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by kelvin22(m): 5:03pm On Apr 02, 2011
OGIRI grin
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Ikoniko(f): 6:27pm On Dec 21, 2012
holydante:
i used to remeber that okpei, very black with a wicked aroma cheesy, but the soup sure tastes nice those days and it does things to ones tummy and at the end wicked gases ejected from the backside.

Surprisingly, am yet to see it in any friends kitchen in lasgidi
okpei sure taste gud, but its not d cause of d gases u eject
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by otilowaju(f): 12:31pm On Dec 24, 2012
For great local taste, I use iru in my soups, I also make generous use of onions in my stews, sauces, jollof/fried rice and the like.

For sweet aroma, I use bayleaf, scent leaf, nutmeg and curry/thyme. Onion, garlic and ginger promotes nice aroma too.

However, THE TASTE OF IRU/OGIRI/DAWADAWA WILL NOT BE NICE IN JOLLOF/FRIED RICE RICE! Inasmuch as this thread is meant to promote local condiments as against Maggi, we must understand that unless it is strictly a health issue, a little quantity of maggi will bring out the best in your jollof and fried rice imo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Fried Rice Vs Jollof Rice / Get Your Nafdac Registration Number In 3months / Gala Is Made Of 20% Cassava Flour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.