Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,739 members, 7,837,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Democracy Alert - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Alert (230 Views)

Judiciary Is Biggest Threat To Nigeria’s Democracy – Peter Obi / Buhari Chides SGF For Not Inviting Orubebe To Democracy Lecture / Senator Shehu Sani Identifies 15 Threats To Democracy In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Democracy Alert by ruthisi: 10:32am On May 29, 2018
DEMOCRACY ALERT:

Today, Nigeria celebrates her 19th Year of Democracy, since General Olusegun Obasanjo won the election in 1999 to become Nigeria's democratically elected President after several years of Military rule. This means that civilian rule was re- introduced in Nigeria. From May 29, 1999, Nigeria has been known as a democratic nation. What does being Democratic as a nation mean? Democracy used to be defined as "Government of the People by the People & for the People. This means that the People, that is, the Citizens Elect their Leaders. It means that leadership is not imposed on the people just as is the case in military rule. This means that democracy affords the citizens of a country to enjoy what they could ordinarily not enjoy in a military setting. One if such things is that the citizens have Freedom - of Speech, they can speak on issues, speak out against issues, injustice, corruption. It means that in elections, they can vote for any candidate of their choice to occupy political position, it also means they can vye for political positions. This freedom to speak gives room for individuals of the country to speak out against injustice or anything in the polity which are against or detrimental to the welfare & wellbeing of the citizens. They can speak out against administrative anomaly or disparity in the polity. Democracy gives the citizens the right & privilege to enjoy what are lacking in military rule. The benefits of democracy is commonly referred to as "dividends of democracy". Some of the dividends of democracy are infrastructural development, job creation, etc. It is supposed that life is better under a democratic government than in military. But today, can we say so, can we boast of enjoying this Democratic government? Now, it leaves us to ponder & the question to answer, especially today that we remember and celebrate . . . (are Nigerians actually celebrating?). We should be celebrating but I hear and feel a different kind of "celebration". The songs that I hear are lamentations, the drums of pains & rumbles of groaning. I see the sufferings & sorrows. Instead of songs of joy & rejoicing, I hear hisses instead of songs. In place of smiles & laughter I see frowns. The body movements are complaints & murmurs.

Life is not better.
Life is not smiling. Nigerian are no more smiling.
The poor who could scrap out a meagre meal a day before now,
Today, their meals are destitution & impoverishment.
He sleeps in the prison of starvation.
Wakes in the dungeon of the shadow of death.

The Government look below from their lofty heights.
They see their backs bent by the loads of pain.
They turn their faces away & suffering continue.

Who shall heal you my beloved.
I hear it, far. . . faint. . ."
Deep down, in my soul...
Far, Deep, Faint... But true.
Heal Yourself then Heal Your Land
You heal yourself, son of man! & heal Your land
How shall this be?
I have no balm, how can I heal me?
I hear him say. . .
"Look in yourself
Look at your self
Look for yourself"

How shall I look in, for & for myself?
Look in to DISCOVER You.
Look at Yourself . . . to understand Your Condition.
For Yourself - Find the answer you need.

The answer to Healing lie with You, Son of Man
How. . .? How, I asked
His response -
You are a Sea. . . deep, vast & boundless.
With treasure untold.
Find the Treasure...
The Treasure within You

Look in Yourself. . .
When You look in Yourself .... Then You can Heal.
Then, You can heal Yourself . . .
And heal Your Land . .

I DEDICATE THIS TO "YOU" READING

(1) (Reply)

Need A Graphic Designer? / Old Aguata Apga Endorses Enyimba / Accident Claims 2 Life's And 4 Others Injures In Kano State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.