Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,825 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition (2564 Views)

Omisore - I Lost Osun Election To Partisan Acts Of Ex-REC Commissioner / Osun Election: Omisore, PDP Head For Tribunal / BREAKING: APC’s Aregbesola Wins Osun Governorship Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by Slim101(m): 4:05pm On May 28, 2010
The governorship election tribunal sitting in Osogbo, Osun State, South West Nigeria, has ruled in favour of Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola in the petition filed by the Action Congress candidate, Engr. Rauf Aregbesola.

Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola of Osun State
In a judgment that lasted about three hours, the tribunal held that the petitioner failed to prove his case beyond reasonable doubt that election malpractices took place in 10 local government areas.

The Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Garba Alli said that all the allegations in the petition which include over voting, sporadic shooting and killing of voters could not be proven at all.

“He made mere allegations. For instance, where he alleged that some ballot papers were illegally thumb-printed, he could not tender one ballot paper that was illegally thumb-printed.

“He did not bring a ballot box before the tribunal to prove that ballot boxes were snatched.

“The tribunal cannot attach and will not attach importance to the allegations levelled against the election. Weight cannot be attached to the witnesses of the petitioner because they were all mere allegations.”

Justice Garba stated that documents tendered in the petition could not be linked to the case. He ruled that Aregbesola also failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that there was non-compliance by Oyinlola to the Electoral Act.

Finally, he resolved the two issues in favour of the first respondent, Oyinlola against Aregbesola. He affirmed: “Oyinlola is duly elected as governor of Osun State.”

While the counsel to Oyinlola commended the judgment, counsel to Aregbesola stated that the battle had just begun. They vowed to appeal against judgment.

In response, Justice Garba asked them to go to the Court of Appeal.

Meanwhile, supporters of PDP took to the streets to celebrate the verdict.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com

Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by oyewolejos(m): 4:19pm On May 28, 2010
Justice murdered for the second time again.Hope the Court of Appeal Ibadan would come to the rescue of the good people of Osun to bring back light after a long period of darkness.
3 years legal battle still yielding no fruits.
May God help us.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by Slim101(m): 4:27pm On May 28, 2010
Slim101:

The Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Garba Alli said that all the allegations in the petition which include over voting, sporadic shooting and killing of voters could not be proven at all.

“He made mere allegations. For instance, where he alleged that some ballot papers were illegally thumb-printed, he could not tender one ballot paper that was illegally thumb-printed.

He did not bring a ballot box before the tribunal to prove that ballot boxes were snatched.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com

All the things that were obvious then are now speculations!! I tought some people recorded the arson and killings then ? Abi dem no produce those things for court?
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 28, 2010
aregbesola should wait for next election
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by dayokanu(m): 5:54pm On May 28, 2010
^^ Toba,

I heard Omisore is killing it for the next election
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by Fhemmmy: 5:59pm On May 28, 2010
A case against sitting govt cant be a case.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by illusion2: 7:59pm On May 28, 2010
Aregbesola & Tinubu need to relax.

They do not have so much entrenched support like they would like to think they possess.

i hate PDP,but I think rauf & BAT are wasting too much political capital on the Osun gov race,raising tension in the state unnecessarily and bankrupting Lagos state in the process

Even if Rauf got there(state house) how would he cope with the House of Assembly??

They should have started their movement from the ground -up not this 'commando ' style take-over bid.

Just my 2 cents. . .
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by naso2(m): 8:03pm On May 28, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Excellent.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On May 28, 2010
@Illusion2, good one.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by illusion2: 9:24pm On May 28, 2010
na_so:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Excellent.

Kobojunkie:

@Illusion2, good one.

Thanks wink
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by olafolarin(m): 9:51pm On May 28, 2010
Justice was definitely denied in Osun state.In more than 10 LGs, the number of votes recorded is more tha the eligible voters on the voters register.Widespread violence was recorded by both print and electronic media especially chanels TV.

I just wish Aregbesola well and i hope he will relax and prepare for the next elections.He has a better chance against all the PDP candidates who are factionalised amongst different lines.

The governorship is still zoned to Aregbesola's constituency and he has a solid name and good chance of beating everybody come 2011.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by illusion2: 10:02pm On May 28, 2010
olafolarin:

The governorship is still zoned to Aregbesola's constituency and he has a solid name and good chance of beating everybody come 2011.
Zoned by who? undecided
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by dayokanu(m): 10:17pm On May 28, 2010

Zoning is a PDP thing not for Aregbesola. Also Omisore is coming up with lots of money from the Senate
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by bibiking1(m): 10:38pm On May 28, 2010
Hurray!!! The more intelligent of the thieves was able to get one over the other. I heard there would be a round three sad angry bloody morons cant do without media attention huh?
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by tayoast(m): 11:17pm On May 28, 2010
oyewolejos:

J[b]ustice murdered for the second time again.Hope the Court of Appeal Ibadan would come to the rescue of the good people of Osun to bring back light after a long period of darkness.[/b]
3 years legal battle still yielding no fruits.
May God help us.

y r pple like this?
a court is neva a moral institution.
Judgments r passed based on d arguments & evidence(s) presented.
the court cited 'REASONABLE DOUBT' as d grounds
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by nearest(m): 11:32pm On May 28, 2010
dayokanu:

Zoning is a PDP thing not for Aregbesola.
You are right, oh! PDP is making nigerians talk about zoning as if its in the constitution of nigeria.

tayo_ast:

y r pple like this?
a court is neva a moral institution.
Judgments r passed based on d arguments & evidence(s) presented.
the court cited 'REASONABLE DOUBT' as d grounds

Sometimes the judiciary look at the weak points of a case instead of the strong obvious ones, and that's why most times it's hard getting justice, anyways, he should go to the court of appeal if he has the resources.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by illusion2: 10:23am On May 29, 2010
IMO,zoning isn't an entirely bad idea due to the immature/unsophisticated nature of the electorate in Nigeria.

But the problem here is that zoning makes a mess of common sense & as earlier stated is unconstitutional.

I strongly believe rotational presidency should be put into the Nigerian constitution.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by taosola(m): 12:25pm On May 29, 2010
Well, justice murdered again, but it is adviced that the party (AC) shuold prepare for next election instead of waisting their precious time, money and other materials on this Jungle Justice.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by tayoast(m): 12:30pm On May 29, 2010
taosola:

Well, justice murdered again, but it is adviced that the party (AC) shuold prepare for next election instead of waisting their precious time, money and other materials on this Jungle Justice.

its either u interpret court pronouncements wt bias or u DONT know d role of courts in d society
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by adexchamp(m): 1:47pm On May 29, 2010
I knew right from the start that Aregbesola will never win the tribunal simply because he is fighting the battle against an opposition that knows how well to swerve justice simply because they knows the nook and crannies of election rigging and maneuvering,well i think Aregbesola should leave everything to God and contest for the next election maybe if it's meant to be he will surely become the next Governor of Osun State,by appealing the decision of the tribunal again at the court of appeal will be meaningless because the incumbent Governor Oyinlola's term in office is coming to an end in few months.

This our country is so corrupted and it's only divine intervention that will bring an end to the injustice melted out to the entire populace.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by AlhajiBako: 2:22pm On May 29, 2010
deleted
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 29, 2010
[size=14pt]Aregbesola is a THIEF , Oyinlola is a senior thief[/size]
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by benabbey(m): 6:26pm On May 29, 2010
Hey what is the last thing heard from Justice Naron team. The first judge indicted by The News Magazine for having telephone contact with Oyinlola lawyer, nothing happen again. Nobody sent to jail
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by Rastamann: 7:21pm On May 29, 2010
Corrupt politicians, corrupt INEC, corrupt election, corrupt judges, corrupt judicial system everything equals corrupt Nigeria.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by oderemo(m): 7:31pm On May 29, 2010
I heard Omisore is killing it for the next election
yeah right , that guy is going for it big time.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by foster2009: 7:53pm On May 29, 2010
The way Aregbesola pursue his case was not diligent enough. I followed it all and it was the witnesses that destroyed his case. The witnesses really messed him up. They had a wrong idea of court process because they thought just coming to talk will win a case. You need to hear them during cross examination by lawyers. I can remember one said that there was ballot snatching at 2pm but alos said he voted at 9am and went back to his house. When asked how did he get to know how ballot box was snatched he said that he was told. Imagine that! Another witness also claimed to be a lawyer but when he was asked for his year of graduation he mentioned a year and a lawyer stood up immediately in court that he is not his classmate. Then he mentioned another year and when he was asked to mention 2 lecturers from his former University he couldnt. Contradictions upon contraditions. I think instead of AC and Aregbesola going for diligent prosecution, they were busy making propaganda which cannot sway any court anywhere. No court will ever go with hearsay, contradictions and sentiments. I live in Osun State capital and I can confirm to you that both parties rigged. But the more intelligent thief ran away with the loot. Chikena.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by babaowo: 10:26pm On May 29, 2010
@ froster nice info have heard samething from laywer
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by badesco(m): 7:42pm On May 30, 2010
The judgment is a victory for Nigerian democracy if you know what i mean.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 3:43pm On May 31, 2010
tank God he won.not yet your time aregbesola.if only you can join pdp
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by otokx(m): 4:51pm On May 31, 2010
@foster2009

Thank you for that insightful observation; some Nigerian graduates cannot express themselves either in English or even their local dialect. Very simple questions like mother's maiden name will cause them to start sweating. They do not know how to build premises and conclusions when they embark on discussions.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by BigStar1(m): 4:55pm On May 31, 2010
Slim101:

All the things that were obvious then are now speculations!! I tought some people recorded the arson and killings then ? Abi dem no produce those things for court?

They produced them oooooooooooooooo.
They said they were not properly prooved to be true.

Especially the video clips. They said there was no voice to explain what was happening.

They said some party agent were claimed to be beaten, who were still alive, but did not appear before the court. Only God knows.
Re: Oyinlola Wins Osun Election Petition by favouredjb(f): 10:30am On Jun 01, 2010
toba:

aregbesola should wait for next election

EXACTLY!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nsa Gen. Azazi Implicated In Selling Arms To Militants / Attention: Beaf And Sagamite / Wole Soyinka Backs Chinua Achebe On Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.