Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents (14192 Views)

Some Senators Are Planning To Impeach Buhari – Sen. Kwankwaso / PDP Senators Are COWARD / Senators Are Worse Than Robbers –suspects (2) (3) (4)

Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by jookco(m): 10:03pm On May 28, 2010
http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51845:reps-cut-bankoles-quarterly-allowance-to-n100m&catid=672:top-stories&Itemid=794

Reps cut Bankole's quarterly allowance to N100m
*Nafada N80m

*Akogun N60m, principal officers N50m

Members of the House of Representatives yesterday kicked against the N140 million quarterly allowances for Speaker Dimeji Bankole and N100 million for his deputy, Usman Nafada.

They, however, reduced the allowances to N100 million and N80 million respectively.

In the new structure drawn by an ad-hoc committee, Tunde Akogun, the House Leader’s allowance, which was N40 million, was raised to N60 million per quarter while other principal officers would go home with N50 million each.

Members therefore felt that since the allowances of principal officers could be increased, their own allowances should be jacked up to N42 million as against the previous allowances of N27 million statutory payment as stipulated by the Revenue Mobilization and Fiscal Allocations Commission.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/question449.htm

­As president, Bush makes $400,000 <<per anum>> and gets additional money in various expense accounts. Cheney makes $208,100 and also has expense accounts. In September 1999, President Clinton signed legislation that increased the presidential salary to $400,000, effective January 2001. The Constitution prohibits pay raises for sitting presidents. This presidential pay raise was the first since 1969, when the president's salary was raised from $100,000 to $200,000. Adjusted for inflation, $200,000 in 1969 would be worth $930,232 today. On top of the salary and expense accounts, both the U.S. president and vice president are given free housing with plenty of amenities. The White House has 132 rooms, 32 bathrooms, a movie theater, bowling alley, billiards room, tennis court, jogging track and putting greens. Bush also has use of Camp David, the presidential retreat. Cheney lives in Number One Observatory Circle, which has been the official vice presidential residence since 1974.

----------------------
Bayelya Deputy Gov goes home with 120 Million each month.

The deputy governor is used to a different style. He was used to being in charge when he was acting governor. That transition and shock of adjustment has been affecting him. As deputy governor, he had the reputation of squandering money. I have been managing him.”

Refuting  an alleged report of crippling the activities of deputy governor as a result of inadequate funding, Sylva said Ebebi’s overhead had been N120 million every month before the global meltdown began to effect the fortunes of the state.

According to him, “we all halved our overhead; my overhead is spent by the Government House, but his overhead is personal to him.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/4866-explosion-rocks-bayelsa-sylva-deputys-feud-deepens

----------------

Gove and Deputy paid themselves more than 300 Million Naira retirement benefit while in office

Mr. Goje and Mr. Yoriyo paid themselves the sums of N200, 072,505 and N100, 025,388, respectively, as part of their benefits when their first terms in Gombe State government ended in May 2007.

However, in a letter dated August 18, 2007, the RMAFC asked the governor and his deputy to refund the money to the state treasury. It stated that the pensions they received while they were still in office had no backing of the law. The governor ordered the RMAFC to retract the letters and when the organisation refused, Mr. Goje and Mr. Yoriyo filed the suit.

Through their counsel, Joe Kyari Gadzama, the men are asking the court to declare that the RMAFC lacks the mandate to dictate the ways in which state funds should be managed.

Mr. Goje and Mr. Yoriyo have also filed a sister suit against the RMAFC for defamation of character. They are demanding N750, 000 each as damages. They claim organisation circulated its letter among state governors and speakers of state Houses of Assembly and caused them personal injuries.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5573460-146/new_evidence_in_gombe_governor_suit.csp
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by asha80(m): 10:11pm On May 28, 2010
;d
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by oderemo(m): 10:14pm On May 28, 2010
the reason our democrazy will grind to a halt within a predictable time. u watch.
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Kobojunkie: 10:25pm On May 28, 2010
@Poster, those numbers do not look right. undecided
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by redsun(m): 10:26pm On May 28, 2010
Even a paedophile senator too,only in nigeria,somalia and afganistan will such a thing happen.Rogue states
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 28, 2010
*Shakes head in disbelief*  embarassed embarassed embarassed

So what 'bout the President.

I feel so sad for Nigeria if this is true.

It's no wonder a politician would swallow drugs in order to get elected.  cry  cry
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by eros(m): 10:32pm On May 28, 2010
MY GOD!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by sulad82i(m): 10:36pm On May 28, 2010
All I can do is laugh cheesy
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by redsun(m): 10:37pm On May 28, 2010
Nigerian government is a crime syndicate,they are only there to bring down the system not to lift it up,we all know that.
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Rastamann: 10:40pm On May 28, 2010
In the USA, it is what you can do for your country (service to motherland) and in Nigeria it is What your country can do for you (service to individual pockets). God dey!
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by SLIGHT(m): 10:42pm On May 28, 2010
U 4got to add the ones they steal
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by SamMilla1(m): 10:45pm On May 28, 2010
That is exactly why public offices in Nigeria are gold mine.
That is the reason why people do anything to be elected or selected.

I said it before, Nigeria is a failed State. So we have rogue officials running a Crime syndicate in the name of Govt.
We will continue to witness massive migration out of the Country.
Why are they shouting for Ibori's head when the Criminals are walking the streets with us  ?
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Sagamite(m): 10:53pm On May 28, 2010
@jookco

Have you bothered to figure out what is implied by allowance?

Figure that out before you open such thread. Don't be gullible by moronic Naija journalists that can not do basic research and inform their readers.
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Nenum(m): 10:58pm On May 28, 2010
Sam Milla:

That is exactly why public offices in Nigeria are gold mine.
That is the reason why people do anything to be elected or selected.

I said it before, Nigeria is a failed State. So we have rogue officials running a Crime syndicate in the name of Govt.
We will continue to witness massive migration out of the Country.
Why are they shouting for Ibori's head when the Criminals are walking the streets with us ?

Ibori is a perfect example of where to start, the anti-corruption crusade cannot start with every criminal at once, starting with Ibori, is definitely in the right direction.

@topic: for our legislator's i still believe the best bet is make parliamentary functions a part time job, where legislators are allowed to do their other professional businesses (afterall they usually just run around the various miniteries looking for contracts) along with their parliamentary duties and they should be paid per sitting.
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Mobinga: 11:02pm On May 28, 2010
Lol. Chop money jare
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Ikomi(m): 11:03pm On May 28, 2010
Sagamite:

@jookco

Have you bothered to figure out what is implied by allowance?

Figure that out before you open such thread. Don't be gullible by moronic Naija journalists that can not do basic research and inform their readers.

lol. Maybe you should inform us. grin
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by SamMilla1(m): 11:20pm On May 28, 2010
Nenum:

Ibori is a perfect example of where to start, the anti-corruption crusade cannot start with every criminal at once, starting with Ibori, is definitely in the right direction.

@topic: for our legislator's i still believe the best bet is make parliamentary functions a part time job, where legislators are allowed to do their other professional businesses (afterall they usually just  run around the various miniteries looking for contracts) along with their parliamentary duties and they should be paid per sitting.

I am not against Prosecuting Ibori who as a matter of fact fell out of favour with the people who are currently in power.
He is a criminal and should face jail.
So are also all the Criminals who are stealing money that belong to the poor masses.
These people do not know the population of the people they are ruling.
How could Tooth-gapped ape like Dimeji Bankole collect 100 million naira as allowances , for doing what exactly ?
That money divided into 50 can send hundreds of kids to school.
These animals sit around the table and divide money with pens as if everything is alright outside.

These are the kinds of things that tempt the military to seize power in third world countries.
Elected officials in the USA or UK cannot get that money from public funds.
But Dimeji Bankole can do it because he was appointed speaker of house of rep.
What did he achieve on his own prior to that ?
Animals!
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by OAM4J: 11:35pm On May 28, 2010
jookco:

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51845:reps-cut-bankoles-quarterly-allowance-to-n100m&catid=672:top-stories&Itemid=794

Reps cut Bankole's quarterly allowance to N100m
*Nafada N80m

*Akogun N60m, principal officers N50m

Members of the House of Representatives yesterday kicked against the N140 million quarterly allowances for Speaker Dimeji Bankole and N100 million for his deputy, Usman Nafada.

They, however, reduced the allowances to N100 million and N80 million respectively.

In the new structure drawn by an ad-hoc committee, Tunde Akogun, the House Leader’s allowance, which was N40 million, was raised to N60 million per quarter while other principal officers would go home with N50 million each.

Members therefore felt that since the allowances of principal officers could be increased, their own allowances should be jacked up to N42 million as against the previous allowances of N27 million statutory payment as stipulated by the Revenue Mobilization and Fiscal Allocations Commission.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/question449.htm

­As president, Bush makes $400,000 and gets additional money in various expense accounts. Cheney makes $208,100 and also has expense accounts. In September 1999, President Clinton signed legislation that increased the presidential salary to $400,000, effective January 2001. The Constitution prohibits pay raises for sitting presidents. This presidential pay raise was the first since 1969, when the president's salary was raised from $100,000 to $200,000. Adjusted for inflation, $200,000 in 1969 would be worth $930,232 today. On top of the salary and expense accounts, both the U.S. president and vice president are given free housing with plenty of amenities. The White House has 132 rooms, 32 bathrooms, a movie theater, bowling alley, billiards room, tennis court, jogging track and putting greens. Bush also has use of Camp David, the presidential retreat. Cheney lives in Number One Observatory Circle, which has been the official vice presidential residence since 1974.

OP

Your topic and post is misleading. You should compare a senator/Rep basic salary with US president basic salary or add up all the allowances and compare.

You quoted US president basic salary (less his allowances) and you compared it with  house of rep quarterly allowances. that is wrong.

. . . withdrawn. . .
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by SamMilla1(m): 11:37pm On May 28, 2010
^^ whatever, It is still too high for a politician in a poor country like Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Kobojunkie: 11:38pm On May 28, 2010
US President's SALARY, not MONTHLY pay, is $400,000.
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Fhemmmy: 11:45pm On May 28, 2010
What a waste of money on some bunch of people that has nothing to give back to the nation.
Tell me one thing that the Senators has achieved with all the money they are being paid.
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Ibomade1: 11:46pm On May 28, 2010
Some things will never change, there is way too much greed is in the system

Nigerian Law makers ,   Jaiye Lo o
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by EzeUche(m): 11:47pm On May 28, 2010
You idiots, President Obama only makes $400,000 a YEAR!

This is crazy and these politicians do not do crap! Disgusting. . . Some of these politician need to be dealt with!
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by bibiking1(m): 11:50pm On May 28, 2010
and we have the guts to still request for aids from them huh?
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by EzeUche(m): 11:51pm On May 28, 2010
To hell with these politicians!!! angry

We need a bloody revolution in this country!
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Nobody: 11:51pm On May 28, 2010
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness (and every other $$$$$ shall be added unto you bountifully)
So guys repent today and join the big league.thats where the money at! ask P.Chris! tongue
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Virtueways(f): 11:53pm On May 28, 2010
@Poster ,please becareful what you feed to the public,verify and confirm with the relevant authorities.
Abi you want mass exodus into political office as there is in showbiz?
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by jookco(m): 11:55pm On May 28, 2010
Sam Milla:

I am not against Prosecuting Ibori who as a matter of fact fell out of favour with the people who are currently in power.
He is a criminal and should face jail.
So are also all the Criminals who are stealing money that belong to the poor masses.
These people do not know the population of the people they are ruling.
How could Tooth-gapped ape like Dimeji Bankole collect 100 million naira as allowances , for doing what exactly ?
That money divided into 50 can send hundreds of kids to school.
These animals sit around the table and divide money with pens as if everything is alright outside.

These are the kinds of things that tempt the military to seize power in third world countries.
Elected officials in the USA or UK cannot get that money from public funds.
But Dimeji Bankole can do it because he was appointed speaker of house of rep.
What did he achieve on his own prior to that ?
Animals!

400.000 Dollars Yearly for US Presidents not monthly
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Oba234: 11:56pm On May 28, 2010
Obama only make 400,000 a year. Pleas get your fact straight.
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by member65: 12:01am On May 29, 2010
OAM4J:

OP

Your topic and post is misleading. You should compare a senator/Rep basic salary with US president basic salary or add up all the allowances and compare.

You quoted US president basic salary (less his allowances) and you compared it with  house of rep quarterly allowances. that is wrong.

Meanwhile i dont know how you did your calculation, Us president monthly basic salary is still higher than Dimeji monthly allowance

US president monthly basic = $400,000

if Dimeji quarterly allowance is N100M = N33.33m monthly = $222,222

I dont also know how they arrived at the front page calculation
My friend don't provoke me o. Learn how to read. POTUS makes $400,000 per year. Our politicians should all be lined up and executed.
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by Sagamite(m): 12:01am On May 29, 2010
Ikomi:

lol. Maybe you should inform us.  grin

The reality is that I have seen these retarded journalists calculate all forms of allowance and present it to the public as legislator "salary". When some were one off payments that it traditional in parliamentary allowance in most countries or one off payments as part of the monetisation process done by OBJ (i.e. basically money is given instead of a certain physical asset that depreciates e.g. car, house etc).

Now, my suspicion is that these allowance might be the constituency allowance given to legislators for work in their constituency. This type of allowance is not suppose to go into their private pockets (it might be going). So whoever the half-baked, fooolish, cretinous journalist was, (s)he should have given more details of what the allowance is for (e.g. car, house, ashewo, juju allowance etc), not just say "allowance".
Re: Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents by EzeUche(m): 12:03am On May 29, 2010
_________:

My friend don't provoke me o. Learn how to read. POTUS makes $400,000 per year. Our politicians should all be lined up and executed.

Execute the B A S T A R D S. . . That should be our chant!

It is time for a bloody revolution. Are Nigerians that scared of these people? Time for some jungle justice!

Is Sanusi Still Better Than Soludo? / Fayose Harbours Thugs In Government House Who Rob And Kidnap At Night – APC / AGF, EFCC Head For Showdown Over High-profile Case Files

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50